Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2013 9:09 am  #1

University of New Hampshire

They have a 6'10" wide body. Check out the video. 

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/201311098c32aa

11/11/2013 10:14 pm  #2

Re: University of New Hampshire

Their big man could sink us by not only occupying Soko and McKoy but drawing them into foul trouble. They're a Herrion-coached team so they like to run. I like our sprinters better that theirs, but the big dude makes me nervous.

11/13/2013 3:11 am  #3

I question Soko's commitment to defense. This match up should be interesting.

11/13/2013 12:21 pm  #4

This should be an interesting game.  From what I have read NH likes to play up tempo similar to the Dukes.  They also have a number of new players.  I think it comes down to who has a better bench, and I think that gives the edge to the Dukes.  I'll take a win by any margin, but if the Dukes can win this one by double digits it would bolster my confidence in this team.

11/13/2013 1:08 pm  #5

CLK, I'm pretty sure that UNH does not play uptempo, although they did against their D-2 opponent opener.  If I recall, Herrion likes to control the tempo - starting with his half court defense - concentrating on defending the guards and the 3 point line.  With the widebody, he probably has the tools to make this work pretty well.

In my opinion, it all starts on the defensive side tonight.  If we defend, get them to miss a few shots (Herrion teams tend not to be offensive powers) and then grab the rebound, our transition game should get us quite a few baskets before their defense can get set.

I'm looking for the Dukes to win this one by 12-14 points.  I hope I'm right (for a change).

11/13/2013 3:20 pm  #6

Phoenix, I am an old guy so I could be wrong on NH being an up tempo team.  Here is what Nesbitt has as his keys.  He had one typo where he called the Dukes WVU, what is his excuse he is a young guy.  Stephen if you read this I am just joking with you. You are doing a great job. 

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sports/2013-06-20-18-53-28/dukes-dispatches/39745-three-keys-for-duquesne-vs-new-hampshire-1-0

11/13/2013 3:36 pm  #7

CLK, I'm with you.  Everything is up tempo at my age.  I think that this is the battle of 2 opposite styles - one team trying to control tempo and the other trying to push as much as possible in transition.

11/13/2013 4:11 pm  #8

Pheonix, Herrion has said himself he wants his team to sun. He actually has two widebodies - the 6-9 guy and a shorter guy who may be the bulkier of the two. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys did a lot of pushing and shoving in the paint.

CLK, I agree about bench strength. With Jerry Jones coming back, and hopefully a little hungry, we can throw backcourt numbers at them. And I like your comment about what a double-digit win would mean. It would be huge. No one should come into Palumbo and expect anything but 40 minutes of hell.

And, I think Micah Mason will be a big factor tonight. 

11/13/2013 5:41 pm  #9

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

CLK, I'm with you.  Everything is up tempo at my age...

LOL man is that ever the truth. 

El Duque, NH had a bunch of turnovers against a D3 team, hopefully JF will press them a little.  Sure hope the video is working. 

11/13/2013 8:58 pm  #10

That was easily one of the worst displays of basketball I have ever seen.  Ovie looked absolutely terrible, and our defense was pathetic.  I have no idea how I can possible be excited about the future after that piece of garbage game.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/13/2013 9:05 pm  #11

Same old, same old.  No reason to jump of a bridge.  It is a little silly at this point to be upset with anything.  It is was it is.

11/13/2013 9:20 pm  #12

Watched on web broadcast, Ovie took shots like Saunders used to take, but Saunders used to make them.
Herrion had a well coached squad who shot lights out treys, many times wide open. A young team that I felt was out coached , Duquesne has athletic players, need more defensive skill. Mason played well.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/13/2013 9:41 pm  #13

Did Everhart ever have a loss this bad?  I'm not trying to make comparisons, but I can't recall a loss this awful.  UNH was 9 and freaking 20 and finished 5-11 in the American East.  My God am I depressed.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/13/2013 9:47 pm  #14

1) Too much selfish play by certain players really hurt us tonight.
2) Our small guards can not defend this is going to be a problem. Too many wide open looks
3) I have to wonder why our best perimiter defender in Jerry Jones did not play against a hot 3 point shooting team?

JF said he was disappointed and called this a bad loss.  Young team, no time to dwell.  The team needs to learn, put it behind them and get ready for Morgantown.

11/13/2013 10:14 pm  #15

I said a while back that it will take some time to figure out what we have with this team. I hope they can bounce back against WVU.

11/13/2013 10:24 pm  #16

4-17 from your best player, and you can't sit him because you're missing two big guys.

11/13/2013 11:00 pm  #17

Would have liked to see Soko realize it wasn't his day and let someone else take some of those 17 shots.

11/14/2013 10:27 am  #18

Just read the A10 board and it cracks me up that some DU fans are blaming Everhart for last night's suck performance by the Dukes.  Ferry has all of his players except for one, and the lone remaining Everhart guy that could have made a big positive difference defensively did not even get to play.  This loss to an inferior team was about lack of defensive effort, selfish play, and poor coaching.  To blame this loss on Everhart is insane. Coach Ferry talks about how the Dukes sucked defensively and how it was unacceptable.

Last edited by CLK (11/14/2013 10:34 am)

11/14/2013 10:47 am  #19

CLK wrote:

Just read the A10 board and it cracks me up that some DU fans are blaming Everhart for last night's suck performance by the Dukes.  Ferry has all of his players except for one, and the lone remaining Everhart guy that could have made a big positive difference defensively did not even get to play.  This loss to an inferior team was about lack of defensive effort, selfish play, and poor coaching.  To blame this loss on Everhart is insane. Coach Ferry talks about how the Dukes sucked defensively and how it was unacceptable.

I also was waiting for Jerry Jones to come in, he could have helped on defense and his slashing accross the lane may have pulled the UNH center out to open up inside shots by our. Forwards.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/14/2013 11:02 am  #20

Speaking of poor coaching, how can you put your team in a position to only have 2 team fouls with under 30 seconds left.  This should have been addressed with some gambling defense (go agressively after the steal and if you foul, so what) with 2 or 3 minutes left in the close game.  It cost us close to 10 seconds at the end of the game - the difference in getting a 3 point heave from Colter vs. setting up a play for Micah.  Inexcusable.

11/14/2013 11:29 am  #21

CLK wrote:

I didn't see a single post where a Duquesne fan blamed Ron for last night.

11/14/2013 11:48 am  #22

Sorry, looks like I did not read the comment correctly.

Last edited by CLK (11/14/2013 12:06 pm)

11/14/2013 12:01 pm  #23

You have Derrick Colter putting up a bad shot at the end trying to tie the game. Last year he shot, what, 20% from there, and you have a guy who was a 50% 3-point shooter on the team. The defense was poor. I read somewhere after the exhibition game - which many of us cited as an example of poor defense - a number of reasons not to worry about the defense.

Guess what? We have a LOT to worry about there.

Jerry Jones, BTW, is a proven defender at this level.

Gotta hang this one on Ferry and the coaches.

11/14/2013 12:51 pm  #24

We really need either Watkins to get healthy, or Robinson to get cleared. The were our two most well regarded newcomers, and were the biggest reason for our optimism.

11/14/2013 1:42 pm  #25

Minimally, we're losing half a season for each one unless they redshirt. You might be right about their importance to the team. Watching the Dukes last night, it's hard not to envision another 1-15 (or worse) record in the A-10.

Board footera