Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2022 6:07 pm  #1

4/25/2022 7:45 pm  #2

Re: 35% of transfers never landed at another school

I guess the moral of the story is - IF you leave, you may want to be fairly certain that there is a landing spot and you have a chair when the music stops.

4/26/2022 9:15 am  #3

Here’s the tricky part for these players.

Q7: What happens if a student-athlete had impermissible communications, directly or indirectly, with coaching staff or boosters at the Division I school to which they transfer?
A7: Existing recruiting rules prohibit communication and contact with a student-athlete enrolled at another NCAA school prior to the student-athlete appearing in the NCAA Transfer Portal. These rules also prohibit the indirect use of third parties contacting individuals on the student-athlete’s behalf (e.g., family member, scholastic or no scholastic coach, advisor). Certain violations of these rules can constitute a significant breach of conduct as it relates to the NCAA infractions process. A student-athlete’s eligibility can be jeopardized at the school that engaged in impermissible communication.

4/26/2022 2:52 pm  #4

This 35% number is really making me question the process.  Are all these  kids entering the portal on there own volition?  Are they not being offered a scholarship by their current school so they are going into the portal in hopes of getting another scholarship?  No one with any real knowledge of this subject has ever effectively explained it to me.  We blame the kids for leaving (or the coaches for not getting them to stay) but now I wonder if it's the coaches using the portal to try and better their team quickly so they push a kid out the door who would have otherwise stayed to get a new kid in the door.

The kids have to know this number.  You'd think they'd stay put if they could knowing it's far less than a guarantee that they land somewhere else.

Last edited by Styles1229 (4/26/2022 2:53 pm)

4/27/2022 10:45 am  #5

It would be good to see the parameters used to compile the data.  Also, as Styles pointed out; we don’t know the percentage of players entering the portal that were politely asked by their present coach to pursue opportunities elsewhere; “for their own good”.  I wonder too if this data includes “grad transfers” who hit the portal and may not get a desirable offer; so never go back for graduate school.

4/28/2022 5:30 am  #6

The players have a false sense of their abilities and their worth. Look no further than the fact that 247 college players and 36 international players have declared for the NBA draft. There are 30 franchises and two rounds. I certainly don’t believe that those who haven’t hired an agent will all return to school. College basketball is a mess and often times looks more like AAU games.

4/28/2022 7:11 am  #7

levon1975 wrote:

It would be good to see the parameters used to compile the data. Also, as Styles pointed out; we don’t know the percentage of players entering the portal that were politely asked by their present coach to pursue opportunities elsewhere; “for their own good”. I wonder too if this data includes “grad transfers” who hit the portal and may not get a desirable offer; so never go back for graduate school.

Levon - I actually do not know how it works for a player on scholarship year to year.  You used the phrase, "politely asked by their present coach to pursue opportunities elsewhere."  Is that how it works?  Or do coaches simply tell players they are not being offered their scholarship for the coming year?  For discussion sake:  If every player on the Dukes 2021/2022 team wanted to come back would that have been the case or would we have still seen a bunch of players enter the portal because the coach got rid of them?  Does anyone on this board know?  I've never heard a player or coach in an interview say that they were not offering/being offered a scholarship for the next season unless the kid was "kicked off" the team for disciplinary reasons.

Last edited by Styles1229 (4/28/2022 7:13 am)

Board footera