Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2022 10:11 pm  #1

Hima in Portal

lost another one

4/26/2022 10:51 pm  #2

Re: Hima in Portal

lilpav30 wrote:

lost another one

This one really ticks me off. It didn't have to be. Hima will be a solid player somewhere with the right development by the coaching staff. Mark my words!

4/26/2022 11:02 pm  #3

Should we assume that another big is on the way?

4/27/2022 7:21 am  #4

El Presidente wrote:

lilpav30 wrote:

lost another one

This one really ticks me off. It didn't have to be. Hima will be a solid player somewhere with the right development by the coaching staff. Mark my words!

I so agree. Right coaching staff this kid will be a solid player. Guaranteed. Not a big fan right now with Dambrot.

4/27/2022 7:32 am  #5

Wow!!! This one is not good!! He has such an upside. He is smart, works hard, and has a heart. We saw progression throughout the season. Dambrot needs to memorize the book Emotional Intelligence. Heck, even if a big guy IS coming there are definite issues with the coach.

How sad…his relationships with the players seem awful. If they were good he wouldn’t be losing so many players each year. HARPER, are you paying attention?!! It’s like as soon as they get to know him after a year they want out. I don’t want to hear it about the portal. This many guys leaving each year is NOT healthy. Dambrot, go get some help.

4/27/2022 7:51 am  #6

I don't like this one either, but I am going to wait and see what the final product will be before grabbing my pitchfork.  Dambrot is not done recruiting.  So far, I see way more upgrades to this 6-24 team than losses.  

4/27/2022 8:20 am  #7

Maybe Duquesne should look for a coach who keeps and develops players on the portal.

4/27/2022 9:10 am  #8

This one will sting.

4/27/2022 9:10 am  #9

Look at Hima's stats for 2021-2022 and tell me how much the Dukes will miss him!  1.9 ppg., 2.8 rpg.  I don't want to hear about upside!  Ray Milligan, Murray Mikenhaus and Rolf Mayer (7'4" kid from Germany) and others of that ilk had upside!    I want to see some positive results from our bigs.   

Last edited by grammudder (4/27/2022 9:10 am)

4/27/2022 10:09 am  #10

grammudder wrote:

Look at Hima's stats for 2021-2022 and tell me how much the Dukes will miss him!  1.9 ppg., 2.8 rpg.  I don't want to hear about upside!  Ray Milligan, Murray Mikenhaus and Rolf Mayer (7'4" kid from Germany) and others of that ilk had upside!    I want to see some positive results from our bigs.   

Calling out his stats is to me a bit unfair.  Here's his stats converted into a 40 minute game:  7.7 points, 11.5 rebounds, 0.2 assists, 4.2 blocks, 2.2 turnovers and 6.9 fouls.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/mounir-hima-1.html
Hima certainly has some significant upside, but it was going to take another year or two to fully develop his basketball acumen to match his athleticism.  He is still raw and still has a lot of work to do on his fundamentals and court sense.  I could see his minutes increasing to 12-15 minutes per game next year, and working his way up to playing 30 minutes as a senior (2024-25 season).  That was the old player development model before today's transfer portal and elimination of sitting out the transfer year came into existence.

The coaching staff probably told him where they saw him fitting in next year; Hima may have had different expectations. If so, a breakup was in the cards.  I hate to see this because it would have been fun watching him develop.

4/27/2022 10:30 am  #12

I count 13 including Gunn who they didn't mention.
Official roster updated.
2022-23 Men's Basketball Roster - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

Last edited by MikeR (4/27/2022 10:33 am)

4/27/2022 10:41 am  #13

Thanks, MikeR. Wonder if PSN just missed Gunn or if they know something. I’m betting it’s an oversight.

4/27/2022 11:13 am  #14

They were accurate when the left Pratt off the list of recruits a couple days before we learned KD told him go somewhere else. 

4/27/2022 11:31 am  #15

As I said in my post, we saw him progress this past season.  If those stats would stay the same on this team next year...which we will never know...I would ask "Where is the coaching?"  These coaches are responsible for teaching/developing players.  Many here complained that he should have played more last year.  Again, as I have said in my posts, no matter who we lose, we only won 6 games.  However, you can't teach someone to be 7 feet.  Were there failures in the past of tall guys, of course.  And they always stand out more because there are less of them.  I just don't know how good these coaches are in developing anyone over 6'8".  And last but not least...another player leaving.  Who is ahead in basketball players leaving their team...Capel or Dambrot?  It's close.

"Hima held offers from VCU, Rhode Island, UMass, St. Bonaventure and Robert Morris." according to the article posted.  Gee...I wonder if he would be leaving VCU, RI, or the Bonnies???

Last edited by FAM (4/27/2022 11:33 am)

4/27/2022 12:48 pm  #16

I knew that Hima was a favorite of many on this Board, so I wasn't surprised the weeping and gnashing of teeth when Hima was announced as a portal entry; but frankly I don't understand it from a basketball perspective.  Hima blocked a few shots; but mainly looked confused and seemed to have to pause and think before reacting.  I'm sure he had a significant lack of basketball experience to overcome; but I just didn't see him becoming a vital part of a winning team.  It's funny how people took shots at Spears for being a "ball hog" and hunting for his shots at times; but failed to see his incredible ability to elevate over defenders, bury his mid-range shots, get to the basket with ease, and also handle pressure and get the ball into the frontcourt.  He was the only player on the team who could break pressure and get the team into its offense.  Literally, when Spears had to rest they were fortunate to even get the ball across half-court and even more fortunate to get a decent shot.  Yet, he was chastised on this Board for shooting too much and not sharing the ball; while Hima was embraced for blocking a few shots to wake up the crowd.  Well now that both are gone, I think you'll see what level of interest there is in each player's services for next season.  

4/27/2022 3:02 pm  #17

levon1975 wrote:

I knew that Hima was a favorite of many on this Board, so I wasn't surprised the weeping and gnashing of teeth when Hima was announced as a portal entry; but frankly I don't understand it from a basketball perspective.  Hima blocked a few shots; but mainly looked confused and seemed to have to pause and think before reacting.  I'm sure he had a significant lack of basketball experience to overcome; but I just didn't see him becoming a vital part of a winning team.  It's funny how people took shots at Spears for being a "ball hog" and hunting for his shots at times; but failed to see his incredible ability to elevate over defenders, bury his mid-range shots, get to the basket with ease, and also handle pressure and get the ball into the frontcourt.  He was the only player on the team who could break pressure and get the team into its offense.  Literally, when Spears had to rest they were fortunate to even get the ball across half-court and even more fortunate to get a decent shot.  Yet, he was chastised on this Board for shooting too much and not sharing the ball; while Hima was embraced for blocking a few shots to wake up the crowd.  Well now that both are gone, I think you'll see what level of interest there is in each player's services for next season.  

Great points and agree 100%. People may be confusing height with ability and potential. Darius Lewis and Mamadou Datt were project bigs. One stayed four years to improve to an average player and one dropped down to D2 after a short period. To me, Hima is more raw than both. Definitely way behind the curve in terms of knowledge and skill because of his background.

Not his fault, but he’s going to need a hell of a lot more than 4 years to become a solid college player. His numbers were rough and yeah, you can project them out to a full 40 minute game and the numbers look better. 2 problems with that:

1. Players don’t usually play every single minute of a game and ;
2. He was usually quickly in foul trouble which is why his minutes were limited.

He’s not good enough for this level, and won’t be by the time his eligibility is used up. Makes sense to me to free up a roster spot for us for someone who has a better chance to contribute and gives him a better chance to be productive somewhere else.

4/27/2022 3:33 pm  #18

Loved his upside, wonder if he'd have stuck around longer and developed if we were still early in the Dambrot Era. But as I've mentioned before, this is a contract year for this coaching staff. They need players who can contribute and make the team better this coming season, not develop on the job. If LA Pratt was told to go to prep school for a developmental year so they could use his scholarship for a plug-and-play transfer, then really no surprise that Hima's moving on. Wish him well, hope he gets to play and develop somewhere else. 

4/27/2022 3:48 pm  #19

I can see the last few posters point about Hima. I know that he won't be ready this next season to start at the 5 but I really do see the potential there. Could he have developed more quickly with different coaching? Will he become the player that many on this board believe that he will? We really won't ever know the answer to the first question and the second question will remain unanswered for the time being. Things being what they are, I can see the same thinking as with Pratt. KD needs players to deliver NOW not a year from now. So Hima fell victim to the circumstances surrounding the program currently. Let's get a stud 5 in here who can be plugged in and contribute NOW! GO DUKES!

4/27/2022 5:31 pm  #20

El Presidente wrote:

Should we assume that another big is on the way?

I'm surprised that the roster was put up at this time. It makes me think that these are the guys that will be here next season with no new additions. We are at the limit but I know coach never stops recruiting. It will be interesting to see who departs if we ink another player. Of course if Easley stays in draft that won't be a problem.

4/27/2022 8:45 pm  #21

The new players seem to be a quality & size upgrade. I don't care for the Rozier signing but you can't win them all. Dixon, Hronsky, McGriff, Brewer, & Clark are most intriguing to me.

The biggest problem remains having a legit, experienced, healthy center to play next to or substitute for Tre Williams. Having Gunn on the roster seems like a waste if that elusive center is to be found in the coming months.

I want Easley to return if he wants to be a Duke. His skills & experience should work out nicely because he is no longer likely to play PF for the majority of his minutes. 

My Spidey Sense tells me that it is very unlikely that Tre Williams, Easley, Barba, Rotroff, & Gunn all end up on this roster with athletic scholarships.

Maybe Gunn and/or Rotroff stays around as some sort of playing grad assistant/walk-on.

4/27/2022 9:44 pm  #22

It appears that Duquesne lost 68% of its scoring to the transfer portal.  The only other A10 team with a worse % was LaSalle at 87% (understandable with a new coach).  The top teams in the league - Davidson, Dayton, Bonaventure and Richmond are at 25% or fewer.  I can't see how you are going to throw all these new players together and generate the team chemistry you see with mature rosters.  I'd love to be wrong.  But, I think we are going to have another poor year.  Maybe we win 7 games?

4/28/2022 12:30 am  #23

levon1975 wrote:

It's funny how people took shots at Spears for being a "ball hog" and hunting for his shots at times; but failed to see his incredible ability to elevate over defenders, bury his mid-range shots, get to the basket with ease, and also handle pressure and get the ball into the frontcourt.  He was the only player on the team who could break pressure and get the team into its offense.  Literally, when Spears had to rest they were fortunate to even get the ball across half-court and even more fortunate to I think you'll see what level of interest there is in each player's services for next season.  

Primo down to 3: Oklahoma, TCU, and Maryland. Power 5, power 5, power 5. I feel like a broken record.

https://twitter.com/336edits/status/1518390165592489984?s=21&t=wk_bClKmiSFhjbti5V4tpw

4/28/2022 6:33 am  #24

Duques102 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

It's funny how people took shots at Spears for being a "ball hog" and hunting for his shots at times; but failed to see his incredible ability to elevate over defenders, bury his mid-range shots, get to the basket with ease, and also handle pressure and get the ball into the frontcourt.  He was the only player on the team who could break pressure and get the team into its offense.  Literally, when Spears had to rest they were fortunate to even get the ball across half-court and even more fortunate to I think you'll see what level of interest there is in each player's services for next season.  

Primo down to 3: Oklahoma, TCU, and Maryland. Power 5, power 5, power 5. I feel like a broken record.

https://twitter.com/336edits/status/1518390165592489984?s=21&t=wk_bClKmiSFhjbti5V4tpw

I can’t see Primo and Jamie Dixon being a good match together. Strictly because of geography and Primo’s family’s involvement/support, I would suspect that he ends up being a Terrapin.

4/28/2022 7:45 am  #25

indygjm wrote:

It appears that Duquesne lost 68% of its scoring to the transfer portal.  The only other A10 team with a worse % was LaSalle at 87% (understandable with a new coach).  The top teams in the league - Davidson, Dayton, Bonaventure and Richmond are at 25% or fewer.  I can't see how you are going to throw all these new players together and generate the team chemistry you see with mature rosters.  I'd love to be wrong.  But, I think we are going to have another poor year.  Maybe we win 7 games?

That’s a very good point. Team chemistry takes time. Look at Richmond’s run this year. I guess Coach Dambrot will be forced to dumb down his intricate offensive schemes. 😂

Board footera