Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2022 7:36 am  #1

Commissioner McGlade A10 open to expanding league to 16.

Chicago Loyola officially enters July 1. Probably not enough time for this season to go East & West Division. Bottom line A10 going to be a very good basketball conference. Transfer Portal & NIL makes it difficult for non power 5 schools but the head coaches in this conference are very impressive.

5/07/2022 10:14 am  #2

Re: Commissioner McGlade A10 open to expanding league to 16.

If the league goes to 16, the logical choice would be Wichita State, who is a basketball only member of the AAC.  Gives St. Louis a partner.  Allows for 4 pods of 4. Keeps the basketball identity alive.

5/07/2022 12:17 pm  #3

Witchita State IS a POSITIVE OPTION

Here are another pair of ideas --

1.  Add University of Detroit -   While the Hoops Team is not as good as Witchita State --  IS in a Non-Football Situation --  Media Market is Bigger --   AND PROBABLY WOULD NOT HURT TO HAVE THAT GOOFBALL DICKIE V RAVING ABOUT OUR CONFERENCE BECAUSE DETROIT IS IN IT!!!  This is of course dependant on Detroit being interested.

2.Stick with 15 --  3 pods of 5 --   You play the other 4 teams in your pod twice -  Home and Away (8 games)  You play the teams in one of the other pods on the road (5 games)  you play the teams in the third pod at home (5 games)  18 games total --  Next year then rotate the 5 game series --  5 teams you played on the road --  You get them at home -  5 teams you played at home - you play on the road.

You could even change the composition of the pods after 2 years.

5/07/2022 2:01 pm  #4

SkepticAl wrote:

Witchita State IS a POSITIVE OPTION

Here are another pair of ideas --

1.  Add University of Detroit -   While the Hoops Team is not as good as Witchita State --  IS in a Non-Football Situation --  Media Market is Bigger --   AND PROBABLY WOULD NOT HURT TO HAVE THAT GOOFBALL DICKIE V RAVING ABOUT OUR CONFERENCE BECAUSE DETROIT IS IN IT!!!  This is of course dependant on Detroit being interested.

2.Stick with 15 --  3 pods of 5 --   You play the other 4 teams in your pod twice -  Home and Away (8 games)  You play the teams in one of the other pods on the road (5 games)  you play the teams in the third pod at home (5 games)  18 games total --  Next year then rotate the 5 game series --  5 teams you played on the road --  You get them at home -  5 teams you played at home - you play on the road.

You could even change the composition of the pods after 2 years.

Can’t disagree with your analysis but the fact remains Commish McGlade said it.St Louis no doubt pushing for  another school in close proximity to SLU

5/07/2022 2:33 pm  #5

I think Wichita State will be poached by the BE to give them 12 once they realize they can't get Gonzaga.  

Of the remaining schools, I'd rank them thus:
1.  Murray State - Best MVC team, Rabid fans, Not a huge city - Nice Arena.  
2. Belmont  - Moving to MVC but consistent winner, New Practice Facility coming, Good city/Fans. Small Religious school.

3.  Not interested

Detroit is not worth the add and brings almost nothing, especially since Dickie V won't be broadcasting for much longer.  

Last edited by Simms (5/07/2022 2:53 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/07/2022 2:47 pm  #6

What about Iona?

5/07/2022 2:56 pm  #7

Econ69 wrote:

What about Iona?

No thanks.  We have Fordham to fill the NYC market and Iona is one coach away from being bad again. Cluees was great and so is Pitino obviously, but they don't offer more than Murray State or Belmont IMO who have performed at higher levels. I would trade Iona for Fordham in a heartbeat.  I do, however, have a soft spot for Fordham despite them being awful.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/07/2022 8:58 pm  #8

I’m sticking by what I said when Loyola joined (an addition I’m all in favor of by the way); Cleveland State is the most likely addition. Because there are no good expansion candidates, no addition is the most likely move though. Go to three pods, keep it open; whatever the case is we don’t have a good expansion candidate, and there’s no reason to spread the revenue thinner if we don’t have to. I expect the A-10 to go back to 14 before it goes to 16.

5/07/2022 9:42 pm  #9

I honestly think the only logical play is Wichita State. And like was said before to keep SLU happy.   That could be in play depending on how watered down AAC football gets.   They seem to be going the way of the old Big East in football.   Adding any one that will come.  At a point your water down basketball.   They don’t get football money without a team.   

My second choice would have been Belmont who already moved to MVC.

5/08/2022 9:27 am  #10

Lindenwood would be good. Robert Morris plays them in hockey.

Board footera