Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing



You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



5/19/2022 9:07 am  #1


NBA & Easley updates?

I saw the NBA draft order was determined the other night.   30 years ago, Orlando drafted Shaq #1.   They might draft Chet Holmgren #1 this year.   Imagine those 2 playing against each other!   HA!!!   
That '92 draft class was awesome, Mourning went 2, Lattaner 3, but other guys Jimmy Jackson, Robert Horry, LaPhonso Ellis, Doug Christie, Latrell Sprewell, Hubert Davis, Tracy Murray.   we'll never see anything like that again.

But, do we know anything about Easley and next year?   Is he still planning to go into the draft?  Is there a deadline to submit your name or return to college?  Its pretty rare for a DU player to be in the draft, not familiar with the rules.   But just seeing how many newbies we brought in, I guess it would be nice if he came back.   Get some size and leadership.

 

5/19/2022 9:27 am  #2


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

i suspect that Kevin is hoping to get a professional contract to play overseas. The NBA only drafts two rounds and I don't see him getting drafted.  Unless he gets an invitation to play in the NBA Summer League and has a great showing; his best shot is a foreign deal.  

 

5/19/2022 12:30 pm  #4


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

Isnt it too late to enter the portal?   

     Thread Starter
 

5/19/2022 2:26 pm  #5


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

No, I don't believe it matters for him.  Easley would have to get a waiver if he transferred.  

 

5/26/2022 4:58 pm  #6


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

per PghSportsNow he is returning to Duquesne

 

5/26/2022 5:16 pm  #7


 

5/26/2022 6:19 pm  #8


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

Now THIS is EXCELLENT news!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

5/26/2022 6:54 pm  #9


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

I  count 14 on the roster now that Easley is returning.
Who will leave?

 

5/26/2022 8:57 pm  #10


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

Who is the 14th? R.J. Gunn? I see that he still appears on the roster. Anyway, I have the breakdown below which shows 14 scholarship players if we are including Gunn, but remember that Rotroff doesn't count against the scholarship limit because he is using his extra Covid year. 

C - Tre Williams/Austin Rotroff/Halil Barre
F - Kevin Easley/Matus Hronsky/David Dixon
G - Tre Clark III/R.J. Gunn?/Andy Barba
G - Dae Dae Grant/Quincy McGriff/Jaylen Cole-Williams(walk on)
G - Tevin Brewer/Devin Carney/Kareem Rozier

 

5/26/2022 10:01 pm  #11


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

So glad to hear that Easley is returning! Pretty solid all around player if used the right way. Now we need a true center, not a power forward masquerading as one.

Last edited by El Presidente (5/27/2022 2:21 am)

 

5/27/2022 9:21 am  #12


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

Agreed El P, agreed!!

 

5/27/2022 10:21 am  #13


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

kidd082000 wrote:

...Anyway, I have the breakdown below which shows 14 scholarship players if we are including Gunn, but remember that Rotroff doesn't count against the scholarship limit because he is using his extra Covid year. 

Unfortunately, Rotroff does count against the scholarship limit for this year. The rule that allowed 5th-year seniors to not count against their teams' scholarship limits if they stayed with the same program only applied to the 2021-22 season. He still gets his extra year of eligibility from the 2020-21 season not counting against players' eligibility, but he will count against this season's scholarship limit if he remains at Duquesne. See: https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1316746615269580802

 

5/27/2022 2:48 pm  #14


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

El Presidente wrote:

So glad to hear that Easley is returning! Pretty solid all around player if used the right way. Now we need a true center, not a power forward masquerading as one.

I really don't understand why you so regularly crap on Tre Williams. 
-In what way is he "masquerading"?
-Do you think he doesn't play hard enough?
-Isn't he simply playing the position he is most comfortable with & that feels like will bring him the greatest level of success?
-When he was healthy, where would you rank him among  last season's A-10 starting centers?  
-How many A-10 starting centers were better shot blockers & had better back to the basket offensive games than Tre?
-How much was his below average height responsible for the team's poor interior offense + defense vs. the team's general lack of size, dearth of  low post personnel, experienced guards, & poor coaching?
-Were you happy with Mike Hughes as the Dukes starting center?
 

 

5/27/2022 4:09 pm  #15


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

Let me answer the last question first. I was quite happy with Mike Hughes at center when he had his emotions under control. Very talented and athletic IMO. To this point I can't compare the two except to say that Hughes was the superior athletically and a bit taller as well though still a bit undersized at the 5. If Tre was 2 or 3 inches taller, I would like him much better. I never ever questioned Tre's effort only his size at center. What the hell are you reading? I'll say it again. I want to see a legitimate 6-9 or taller player at the 5. This isn't even a knock at Tre. He's TOO SMALL to play center in the A-10 IMO. That's what's great about this board. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, even me! Would love to see Tre prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath. There were many reasons that this team performed poorly last season and I never once blamed everything on Tre. Almost everything about the team sucked last year so pretty hard to single out one player including Tre. Is there something wrong about recruiting  a legitimate sized center here at Duquesne? Don't know what else I can say in a response. Wasn't going to mention Tre's ineptitude as a 3 point shooter but there I just did. The less said about that the better.

 

5/27/2022 5:15 pm  #16


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

DennisC91 wrote:

kidd082000 wrote:

...Anyway, I have the breakdown below which shows 14 scholarship players if we are including Gunn, but remember that Rotroff doesn't count against the scholarship limit because he is using his extra Covid year. 

Unfortunately, Rotroff does count against the scholarship limit for this year. The rule that allowed 5th-year seniors to not count against their teams' scholarship limits if they stayed with the same program only applied to the 2021-22 season. He still gets his extra year of eligibility from the 2020-21 season not counting against players' eligibility, but he will count against this season's scholarship limit if he remains at Duquesne. See: https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1316746615269580802

Ohh I didn't realize that, thanks for the clarification Dennis! 
 

 

5/28/2022 7:19 am  #17


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

El Presidente wrote:

Let me answer the last question first. I was quite happy with Mike Hughes at center when he had his emotions under control. Very talented and athletic IMO. To this point I can't compare the two except to say that Hughes was the superior athletically and a bit taller as well though still a bit undersized at the 5. If Tre was 2 or 3 inches taller, I would like him much better. I never ever questioned Tre's effort only his size at center. What the hell are you reading? I'll say it again. I want to see a legitimate 6-9 or taller player at the 5. This isn't even a knock at Tre. He's TOO SMALL to play center in the A-10 IMO. That's what's great about this board. Everyone is entitled to his opinion, even me! Would love to see Tre prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath. There were many reasons that this team performed poorly last season and I never once blamed everything on Tre. Almost everything about the team sucked last year so pretty hard to single out one player including Tre. Is there something wrong about recruiting  a legitimate sized center here at Duquesne? Don't know what else I can say in a response. Wasn't going to mention Tre's ineptitude as a 3 point shooter but there I just did. The less said about that the better.

Looks like the Warriors are doing OK in the NBA Playoffs with an undersized 6’7” center!  Once the ball is tossed up to start the game nobody cares whether a guy is 6’7” or 6’9”.  It’s all in your head.

 

5/28/2022 8:07 am  #18


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

Wes Unseld became an all-pro at 6'7" And  career leading rebounder.  After Bill Russel, Boston had a 6'7'" center whose name escapes me.  I agree with Levon.  Let me tell you who thinks Tre is an adequate center at his height--Bruce Atkins!!

 

 

5/28/2022 10:13 am  #19


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

I'm hearing Wes Unseld who was a tremendously talented player. Are we attempting a comparison here? Unseld made up for his lack of height with his bulk and sheer talent. Also I heard adequate center. What does that mean? If you have a team made up of adequate players, you most likely aren't too good. I'm a huge Duquesne basketball fan and all I want to see is a team capable of competing with the likes of Davidson, St, Louis, VCU, Richmond, etc. I am not seeing this and am so fed up with watching a second and third rate product here. Watching the Pirates play is more satisfying to me and they are awful albeit an improving franchise.  That's where I'm at right now. One more year resembling the last one and that will be it for me.

 

5/28/2022 11:17 am  #20


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

I like Williams, but he is not our answer at center. There is no hiding the fact that our front court was weak last year, even before Williams was hurt.  Williams needs to play with a bigger player like he did at Indiana State.  Williams is a skilled player who can score inside with good power moves but is overmatched with bigger centers in the A10.  Williams is better suited as a PF, playing together with a bigger player who can help defensively and rebounding, and can score both inside and shoot the three.  I am hopeful that KD is not done recruiting and will find such a player.  Think of a front court of Easley at the 3, Williams at the 4, and a new as mentioned center.  The whole team dynamics changes especially with the guards that we secured who not only score but all have really good assist numbers.  That's my dream for this team.  

 

5/28/2022 1:16 pm  #21


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

Tre doesn’t have midrange game, let alone 3 point.  If he has or develops such an offensive game, then he would be a terrific 4.  One can hope.  Any comparisons to Wes Unseld leave the realm of reality.  Aside: didn’t Duquesne recruit an Unseld relative, who was a terrific JC player?  He stayed for a cup of coffee.

 

5/28/2022 1:19 pm  #22


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

CLK wrote:

I like Williams, but he is not our answer at center. There is no hiding the fact that our front court was weak last year, even before Williams was hurt.  Williams needs to play with a bigger player like he did at Indiana State.  Williams is a skilled player who can score inside with good power moves but is overmatched with bigger centers in the A10.  Williams is better suited as a PF, playing together with a bigger player who can help defensively and rebounding, and can score both inside and shoot the three.  I am hopeful that KD is not done recruiting and will find such a player.  Think of a front court of Easley at the 3, Williams at the 4, and a new as mentioned center.  The whole team dynamics changes especially with the guards that we secured who not only score but all have really good assist numbers.  That's my dream for this team.  

Why to live if not to dream?
 

Last edited by Bleeds Red & Blue (5/28/2022 2:40 pm)


I may not approve of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
 

5/28/2022 9:44 pm  #23


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Tre doesn’t have midrange game, let alone 3 point. If he has or develops such an offensive game, then he would be a terrific 4. One can hope. Any comparisons to Wes Unseld leave the realm of reality. Aside: didn’t Duquesne recruit an Unseld relative, who was a terrific JC player? He stayed for a cup of coffee.

Mike:  You are correct --  Unseld AVERAGED 20 points 19 rebounds PER GAME in His College CAREER at Louisville!!!!
 

 

5/29/2022 2:41 pm  #24


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

SkepticAl wrote:

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Tre doesn’t have midrange game, let alone 3 point. If he has or develops such an offensive game, then he would be a terrific 4. One can hope. Any comparisons to Wes Unseld leave the realm of reality. Aside: didn’t Duquesne recruit an Unseld relative, who was a terrific JC player? He stayed for a cup of coffee.

Mike:  You are correct --  Unseld AVERAGED 20 points 19 rebounds PER GAME in His College CAREER at Louisville!!!!
 

Yea, but Unseld was only 6’6”; not 6’7”; he was an all-time NBA great, and the best outlet passer in history; but yea, if he had only been 6’7”!  Nobody is comparing Tre to Unseld of course; but Tre’s height doesn’t bother me.  He needs to shoot a better percentage at the line and finish at a higher percentage when he gets to the hoop.  Many times last year he beat his man with nice post moves then missed the shot from point-blank range.  Take care of those two things and Tre will be fine.  Trust me on this!

Last edited by levon1975 (5/29/2022 2:44 pm)

 

5/29/2022 3:32 pm  #25


Re: NBA & Easley updates?

Levon, no one wants you to be right about this more than I. Don't even know what Tre's physical condition is at this point. Will he be ready to play at the beginning of the season? I do consider him to be an important piece of the puzzle, just not as our full time center.

Last edited by El Presidente (5/29/2022 3:32 pm)

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

uLINKS


DUQUESNE SITES



  • Pittsburgh Sports Now