Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2013 9:38 pm  #1

11/15/2013 6:01 am  #2

Re: WVU

As FAM suggested, this might be an ugly game. WVU has decent big men (ironically, a couple RE recruits) and is very athletic. For us to win, I think we need to have a great night shooting, and defend and box out well to keep WVU from second and third chance baskets. The Porch Boys havn't been quite what everyone expected sincy Thuggins arrived, but they're still a very dangerous team for us. I would consider this a great win if it happens, I will not be surprised by a 10 point loss, and I will be disappointed if we get smoked and the same things I've been harping on (no FT shooting, Colter shooting too much, lack of defensive effort) are the culprits.

11/15/2013 6:59 am  #3

Looking forward to watching the newly revamped Dukes. Anyone going should say hi to Ron before or after the game. This is ofcourse one of the big 4 games with the local teams. 2-2 would be very good. I do know WVU will be loaded for a run next year in the Big 12. Hopefully it does not turn into an AAU game with no defense thats garbage basketball on any level.

11/15/2013 10:42 am  #4

It will be interesting to see how the coaches and team respond to the UNH loss. Will they bounce back and prove that they are a better team than the way they played Wednesday?  I hope so.  I believe we can beat WVU with our quickness like we did last year, but with as JF has said is a more talented deeper group of players.  Jerry Jones had a big game last year against WVU, and was a big key to our victory.  I have to believe he will see significant minutes in this game. If Ferry does not play him (assuming he is ready to go no injury) that will speak volumes to me about their relationship, and about Ferry as coach.

11/16/2013 8:15 am  #5

We beat WVU last year because our big man had the game of his career and their big men played poorly. This year their big men are better and ours are not great defenders. A 15 point loss on the road is about right. I will make the trip to hopefully prove this prediction wrong.

11/16/2013 10:09 am  #6

My most lasting memory of the Coliseum is going to a game in the winter of '79, the one when BB was hung in effigy, probably by some shoeless Jethro characters, and sitting at the student press table next to a guy who came straight out of central casting for Green Acres (the guy sounded exactly like Mr. Haney), and hearing, "Ahunnerstaaaan BB ain't gonner be here tonight." I had to ask him to repeat what he said about 20 times before I figured out what he was saying. I hate WVU with equal passion that I hate Pitt, and hope we beat them senseless today. Go Dukes! 

11/16/2013 10:40 am  #7

The players I knew were disgusted by the whole situation. This included BB deciding not to play, and Rice's handling of the fallout.

11/16/2013 11:29 am  #8

I felt like I had gone through a time warp. This happened just two months after I met Chuck Cooper and heard his story. 

You know, I traveled to this game with Nellie King, Russ Franke (the old sports writer for I think the Press), the two walk-ons (Inge and Kush) and Glenn Majeski, and we made a pit stop at some dive bar in Morgantown and when I went into the men's room, there was anti-BB and racist crap scrawled on the wall over the urinal. 

On top of everything, they idolize a drunk-driving, cheating, thug slob.

11/16/2013 2:43 pm  #9

As much as the Pennsylvania kids thought West Virginia to be a hick state, they flocked south of the Pennsylvania line every Saturday night.  The drinking age was 18 there compared to 21 in Pennsylvania.  There was a certain hangout just north of Morgantown called Lulu Belle's.  I heard stories that when one walked through the place, his feet would stick to the floor because of all the beer that spilled.  It was full of Pennsy kids on Saturday night.

11/16/2013 7:52 pm  #10

My FONDEST memory of the WVU Fans --  back in the days of the old Eastern 8 -- we were still playing some doubleheaders with Point Park & Bobby Mo  etc --  One Mountie Fan turned to his neighbor and says "I'm having a GREAT time -  this is my THIRD beer"  His buddy responded "And the best thing is our game HASN'T EVEN STARTED YET"  (and the beers at the Arena were probably the same size they are now) we're NOT talking 12 ounce cans here!!

11/17/2013 4:39 pm  #11

Guarded or not looks like opponents can't miss from 3. Good hustle by Mason.

11/17/2013 4:59 pm  #12

Soko, Mason playing well.

McKoy, Ridenour playing OK.

Colter, White playing the role of albatross today. 

11/17/2013 5:19 pm  #13

Looks like Ferry sees what El Duque sees. Colter and White on the pine.

11/17/2013 5:44 pm  #14

Mason has 15 points, hasn't missed a shot, but hasn't taken one in 10 minutes as WVU opens up a 10 point lead.

11/17/2013 6:05 pm  #15

And now the refs are just handing this one over to Thuggins. An ugly loss. :oP

11/17/2013 6:34 pm  #16

One thing puzzles me completely.....free throw shooting.. Duquesne has been dreadful at the free throw line since forever, it seems. The problem has outlived complete coaching staffs, completely different sets of players and and gone on for more than a decade. Why? Is it because the program has had to hope for more "athletic" project-type players to develop once they hit college? Is it that the program has had very few "complete" basketball players interested in playing for the school?

It just seems that parts of the game which are considered to be basic skills (like shooting free throws) are always lacking compared to the opponent on any given night. This game didn't need to get out of hand if they had just converted a few more FT's.

11/17/2013 6:53 pm  #17

You're right about that being a problem, but I think WVU had two players who each shot more FTs than Duquesne today.

11/17/2013 7:06 pm  #18

pressurecooker wrote:

We beat WVU last year because our big man had the game of his career and their big men played poorly. This year their big men are better and ours are not great defenders. A 15 point loss on the road is about right. I will make the trip to hopefully prove this prediction wrong.

You missed it by one, dagnabit!

A diehard fan since 1961

11/17/2013 7:17 pm  #19

The Dukes are rapidly establishing themselves as one of the worst defensive teams in D1.

11/17/2013 7:39 pm  #20

I love the upgrade in the talent level kudos to Coach Ferry. Problem NO DEFENSE very soft. First impression I never saw a Duke take a charge! Defense wins championships this team plays none. Improve the D this program will improve. 

11/17/2013 7:40 pm  #21

CLK wrote:

The Dukes are rapidly establishing themselves as one of the worst defensive teams in D1.

It seems such a shame they play this way, it reminds me of the kid from Valley High who was a great scorer who was never in foul trouble since he never defended his guy, buy he could sure hit the three ball, Tom Pipkins.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/17/2013 8:43 pm  #22

Ironduke81 wrote:

I love the upgrade in the talent level kudos to Coach Ferry. Problem NO DEFENSE very soft. First impression I never saw a Duke take a charge! Defense wins championships this team plays none. Improve the D this program will improve. 

Refs have basically been instructed not to call the charge this year. Unless it's blatant, those will be blocking fouls. Without Watkins and Robinson playing, it's hard to get excited about this season. All but the most optimistic among us expected this team to take some lumps this year, but with the expectation that the team would learn and grow during the process. Unfortunately, that can't happen when your two best recruits, and the two guys who are going to make the biggest impact on the program long term, can't play.

11/17/2013 9:04 pm  #23

Maybe you are right but Defense is a mindset! This team needs to find it for the future of the program.

11/17/2013 9:29 pm  #24

Ironduke81 wrote:

Maybe you are right but Defense is a mindset! This team needs to find it for the future of the program.

I absolutely agree.  In the last two games the Dukes opponents shot in the mid 50's% from the floor and beyond the arc.

11/17/2013 9:35 pm  #25

CLK wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

I absolutely agree.  In the last two games the Dukes opponents shot in the mid 50's% from the floor and beyond the arc.

I don't disagree about improving the defense, I was just pointing out that trying to get charges is no longer going to be good strategy.

Board footera