Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/04/2022 8:23 am  #1

A10 Power Rankings Per Rothstein

I hope this is not going to prove correct. 

Atlantic 10 Offseason Breakdown - College Hoops Today

7/04/2022 10:24 am  #2

Re: A10 Power Rankings Per Rothstein

Wow I wonder if a college basketball team picked last in their conference ever won their league championship ?
Again CLK thanks for the info. This board without your input was like Jesus in the desert for 40 days😂

7/04/2022 10:34 am  #3

Not only does Rothstein pick the Dukes for last place, not a single transfer or freshman is mentioned in the "impact" lists.

7/04/2022 11:53 am  #4

applecorps wrote:

Not only does Rothstein pick the Dukes for last place, not a single transfer or freshman is mentioned in the "impact" lists.

Not having Dae Dae Grant on this list was the red flag for me. I have the feeling that KD, unlike Ferry, does not kowtow to Rothstein causing some understandable negative bias towards the Dukes. I would surmise if Dambrot invited Rothstein in for a practice and took him to breakfast at Pamela's, the Dukes would have a player or two on the list and would be slated to finish 11th or 12th.  Certainly a motivating ranking for the Dukes.

7/04/2022 1:25 pm  #5

Last year when we were picked pretty low, most thought that was ridiculous. Well, it was accurate.  I won’t go down that road again.  If he is wrong, great.  If he isn’t, next year needs to be Dambrots last. 

I won’t be predicting a winning record… I’m disappointed… again hope I’m wrong, but won’t use my heart instead of my head. Something I need to remember is the other teams are improving also…and for those teams who have been very far in front of us… it will be a tough road for us to travel.

7/04/2022 4:11 pm  #6

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Not having Dae Dae Grant on this list was the red flag for me. I have the feeling that KD, unlike Ferry, does not kowtow to Rothstein causing some understandable negative bias towards the Dukes. I would surmise if Dambrot invited Rothstein in for a practice and took him to breakfast at Pamela's, the Dukes would have a player or two on the list and would be slated to finish 11th or 12th.  Certainly a motivating ranking for the Dukes.

I agree Phoenix.  I don't know what to expect for the Dukes and the A10 as so many teams are rebuilding. I do know there is real, seasoned and proven talent on this team.  I watched Dae Dae play against Clemson and Georgia Tech and this kid can score against any team.  I don't know what criteria Rothstein used to define an impact player, but Grant will make a big impact in this League.  I know Dambrot won't say that this is the best team he has had at Duquesne, but when you look at this roster we will most likely start three grad students and two 4th year players all of whom can score in double digits.  We will also have a deeper stronger bench. I do not see the Dukes in last place.  Is it enough to win the League?  I wouldn't bet on it.  Is it enough to get us to the top half of the League?   Unknown.  

I think it is safe to say that if Dambrot has a losing season again next year after this second rebuild, or reboot as he calls it, he needs to resign or be fired.  The threshold should be 8th or above for him to be retained. If he can't do that than what's the point of keeping him if our goal is to win championships?  I really and truly hope he can do it.  I think the talent is there to do it.

Dambrot believes this will be a fun season. I sure hope so.

Andrew Mundy on Twitter: "I recently started reporting on Duquesne for DK Pittsburgh Sports! This week I talked with Keith Dambrot about the construction of this year’s hoops roster, and what fans can look forward to seeing this upcoming season: https://t.co/iRYU4Uik61" / Twitter

7/05/2022 7:21 am  #7

There is no reason to pick the Dukes anywhere but last.   Great thing about all preseason rankings/articles is that they are meaningless.

7/05/2022 8:24 am  #8

townsonkid wrote:

There is no reason to pick the Dukes anywhere but last.   Great thing about all preseason rankings/articles is that they are meaningless.

Especially so now with the transfer portal. I guess these pundits have a job to do so they turn out these predictions.

7/05/2022 9:47 am  #9

I agree that Rothstein picking the Dukes last again is probably justified based upon last year's debacle and the fact that the roster is largely an unknown entity at this point.  The challenge of "rebooting" a roster failed last year; so I'll need to be convinced by game results before I buy-in to this team's chances of success.  The Dukes indeed have more experienced players who have had some degree of success at the D-1 level, but will they be good enough to win A-10 conference games against other teams with experience and talent?  The 4 and 5 positions seem to have been bolstered by more size and a blend of freshmen Barre and Dixon along with experience in Reece and Gunn to go with returning Tre Williams and Kevin Easley.  From the start I questioned last year's roster due to its lack of size and depth at the 4 and 5 spots and its inexperience at the vital guard positions.  I think this roster is better suited to compete; but will they work together as a team with a common goal; or play for individual stats? This is a defining season that could determine if Coach Dambrot continues at Duquesne, or follows the long list of coaches who have failed to restore dignity to the once-powerful program.  

7/05/2022 11:08 am  #10

In today's environment, how could Rothstein or anyone else possibly have any idea where any team will finish?  Including and especially Duquesne.  Of course, that is true most years but never more so than now.

Of course, it is useful for conversation pre-season and the conversation is always interesting here.

7/05/2022 2:37 pm  #11

CLK wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

I agree Phoenix.  I don't know what to expect for the Dukes and the A10 as so many teams are rebuilding. I do know there is real, seasoned and proven talent on this team.  I watched Dae Dae play against Clemson and Georgia Tech and this kid can score against any team.  I don't know what criteria Rothstein used to define an impact player, but Grant will make a big impact in this League.  I know Dambrot won't say that this is the best team he has had at Duquesne, but when you look at this roster we will most likely start three grad students and two 4th year players all of whom can score in double digits.  We will also have a deeper stronger bench. I do not see the Dukes in last place.  Is it enough to win the League?  I wouldn't bet on it.  Is it enough to get us to the top half of the League?   Unknown.  

I think it is safe to say that if Dambrot has a losing season again next year after this second rebuild, or reboot as he calls it, he needs to resign or be fired.  The threshold should be 8th or above for him to be retained. If he can't do that than what's the point of keeping him if our goal is to win championships?  I really and truly hope he can do it.  I think the talent is there to do it.

Andrew Mundy on Twitter: "I recently started reporting on Duquesne for DK Pittsburgh Sports! This week I talked with Keith Dambrot about the construction of this year’s hoops roster, and what fans can look forward to seeing this upcoming season: https://t.co/iRYU4Uik61" / Twitter

I don’t understand the love affair with Grant. He was a honorable mention selection for the MAC, where as Carry was player of the year and Norman was third team all conference, both above Grant. Don’t get me wrong, I wish Grant well, but I don’t see the reasoning. I don’t think Carry or Norman were considered impact players in the A-10. Carry may have been an impact player for the Dukes for some time but not the A-10 and Norman struggled for the Dukes. I totally agree that there are many teams rebuilding, so it really is going to come down to coaching. Which coach can get the players to get along, play their system, assess their talent and get the most out of the players. In my opinion Dambrot has failed miserably in those areas. That is why I believe we are picked last. 

7/05/2022 2:38 pm  #12

From the front line that Rothstein shows for us, it is pretty obvious we are badly overmatched against the bigs in the league. If the front line shown plays 25 minutes a game, we will finish in the bottom tier. Dixon, Reese, Hronsky and Barre have to be good enough to play big minutes for us to compete. We are good enough in the backcourt. We need two of the four I just mentioned to step up in a big way. Williams and Easley are smart, good players, just not big enough.

7/06/2022 6:50 am  #13

I really can't imagine anyone on this board posting predictions about the upcoming season. Most of us made absolute fools of ourselves doing so last season. I will certainly not be participating in that nonsense this time around. I really have no preconceived thoughts on this team anyway. After what happened last year, I will wait until I see this team on the court for at least 7 or 8 games before I utter a word of speculation. And then I will choose my words very carefully! Call it a case of shell shock if you want but these are my only thoughts on the 22-23 season. GO DUKES!!

7/06/2022 9:25 am  #14

Wildwood13 wrote:

CLK wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I don’t understand the love affair with Grant. He was a honorable mention selection for the MAC, where as Carry was player of the year and Norman was third team all conference, both above Grant. Don’t get me wrong, I wish Grant well, but I don’t see the reasoning. I don’t think Carry or Norman were considered impact players in the A-10. Carry may have been an impact player for the Dukes for some time but not the A-10 and Norman struggled for the Dukes. I totally agree that there are many teams rebuilding, so it really is going to come down to coaching. Which coach can get the players to get along, play their system, assess their talent and get the most out of the players. In my opinion Dambrot has failed miserably in those areas. That is why I believe we are picked last. 

As I mentioned above, this is going to be a wild year in the A10 even the so called gurus can't find consensus in their predictions because so many teams are rebuilding.  For example Rothstein has the Bonnies finishing 9th, and this guru has them finishing last: .Zack Mulholland on Twitter: "Atlantic 10 2022-23 Basketball Rankings: 1. Dayton 2. Saint Louis 3. Davidson 4. Loyola Chicago 5. Richmond 6. VCU 7. George Mason 8. Massachusetts 9. Fordham 10. Rhode Island 11. George Washington 12. La Salle 13. Duquesne 14. Saint Joseph's 15. St. Bonaventure" / Twitter  

I agree with you this is all about the expectation of how the coaches will perform.  Personally, I do not see much separation between the bottom 8 teams' talent wise.  My expectation, not prediction, is that Dambrot will turn things around and finish again in the middle of the League.  I also believe that Grant will be a big part of that turn around, and therefore be an impact player

As to your question as to why I think he will be an impact player when he was only an honorable mention in the MAC I would offer this:

- Sincere Carry was the MVP of his league with almost the same statistics as Dae Dae 17.5ppg, 4.7rpg and 4.1apg. The difference was the players around Grant, and his team's under performance.  Again, it is my expectation that DU will exceed expectations.  

Dae Dae Grant Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Sincere Carry Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

- Grant is a player.  If you have not watched any of the full game YouTube videos you should do so.  He can score in so many ways, plus he is a terrific passer.  His 4apg is really good considering he played as their SG.  He can really play at a high level.  He had 20 points against Clemson, 14 against Cincinatti and 15 against Georgia Tech.  

Bottom line it all comes down to expectations on how Dambrot performs and how this team finishes. 

7/06/2022 9:30 am  #15

El Presidente wrote:

I really can't imagine anyone on this board posting predictions about the upcoming season. Most of us made absolute fools of ourselves doing so last season. I will certainly not be participating in that nonsense this time around. I really have no preconceived thoughts on this team anyway. After what happened last year, I will wait until I see this team on the court for at least 7 or 8 games before I utter a word of speculation. And then I will choose my words very carefully! Call it a case of shell shock if you want but these are my only thoughts on the 22-23 season. GO DUKES!!

I post things on this board that I think fans might find interesting, not to make them upset.  I think I will stop sharing.  You guys can dig out your own information about the Dukes. 

7/06/2022 12:20 pm  #16

CLK - please don't stop sharing.  It is up to each person here to provide their own opinion...if they want.  Heck, talking about the rankings sure beats trying to figure out what the mascot should be!

On a related note, years ago folks would be up in arms over the rankings and providing sharp knives at those who may tend to agree.  Now, it appears we have a realistic group of folks who don't want to get duped again and will let the record speak for itself.  As they say...Go Dukes!

7/06/2022 1:39 pm  #17

For those who pay overblown  attention to superficial sports predictions, I offer two axioms:

As the Olympic torch neared Lake Placid, N.Y., in 1980, signaling the opening of that year's Winter Olympics, newspapers and magazines throughout the world offered predictions on who would win medals in the major sports. Not a single publication gave the American men's hockey team a chance against the worlds power teams.

And my absolute favorite:

Never make predictions, especially about the future.
                   ---- Casey Stengel

Predictions are guesses. No better guesses than yours or mine.  Quit obsessing about what guesses any self-proclaimed expert pitches towards the Dukes. Stegel was right.

7/06/2022 3:01 pm  #18

The focus was on Eric Heiden, favored in every speed skating event.  For ice hockey, some felt the USA could win a bronze medal. The games were acquired because Lake Placid was the only bidder.  Denver had rejected the 1976 games, causing them to be reawarded to Innsbruck. After the Munich Massacre in 1972, nobody wanted the games.  Peter Unberoff reawakened the Olympic spirit in 1984.

7/07/2022 3:55 pm  #19

CLK wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

I post things on this board that I think fans might find interesting, not to make them upset.  I think I will stop sharing.  You guys can dig out your own information about the Dukes. 

CLK- My post was in no way directed at you nor would I wish to see you doing any less than what you do on this board. Your info and insightful observations are much appreciated by me and surely all. I'm simply not going to fall into the trap of predicting a great season when, in fact, I haven't the slightest idea what may lie ahead for the team. As I said, it might be a case of shell shock after last year's debacle. Hoping that you will continue to provide us with any and all info that you dig up!

7/07/2022 5:36 pm  #20

Just the facts… I went back a number of years to see previous picks on where the Dukes were slated to be ranked in the A10 at the beginning of the year.  These guys aren’t perfect… but with that said there was no huge surprise in terms of the Dukes killing it when they were ranked middle or low.  I may have missed something though. Go Dukes

Board footera