Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2022 11:38 am  #2

Re: The New Basketball World Is Getting Wilder

That's ridiculous...

7/21/2022 12:11 pm  #3

A player can attend 4 schools in 4 years?

7/21/2022 1:05 pm  #4

Why would you want to be a coach today outside of the top 6 conferences?

7/21/2022 1:29 pm  #5

I wonder if the conferences other than the top 6 could join
together to form super conferences.  The A!0 joins with the Colonial
or the NEC joins with the ASun.  Or would that be a waste of time.

7/21/2022 8:47 pm  #6

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

7/22/2022 7:32 am  #7

I wouldnt go that far, but it hurts the chances.   They need to have a team one year that wins, makes a postseason.   Then players would be more inclined to stay if they had witnessed something good and can imagine something better in the future, like their teammates and coaching staff, and fans show up and make it fun and exciting.   Its a big dream.   :-)

7/22/2022 7:57 am  #8

I read winter sports notification must be provided 60 days before March Madness Selection Sunday. This being the case transfer player would miss 85% of the conference schedule. That means two things. The head coach would never play the kid after receiving notice. A wonder how many basketball players that transferred made this decision early in  the season & played not for the team but padding  their own statistics? For example, If a player knows of a pending transfer & the coach is attempting to keep him  happy and remain in the current program Individualism over team concepts will always prevail.  I personally, like this notification requirement which can help a coach to determine who really wants to play for the team & not for themselves. Unfortunately, the NCAA pundits & University Presidents were responsible for the NIL & Transfer portal. The day & age of Student Athletes will remain limited to Div III schools like CMU & W&J . One more warning to any student athletes receiving NIL money is hire a certified Accountant in order to avoid potential IRS issues.

7/22/2022 8:10 pm  #9

It's all so discouraging for a Dukes fan. I can remember sitting in Palumbo in dambrot year 2 next to a professor n the general feeling was give them 4 years n we are going to be a strong program...oh well... Duquesne will never get it

7/23/2022 12:52 pm  #10

1111 Vickroy wrote:

It's all so discouraging for a Dukes fan. I can remember sitting in Palumbo in dambrot year 2 next to a professor n the general feeling was give them 4 years n we are going to be a strong program...oh well... Duquesne will never get it

It's getting like the Pirates (Yeah yeah.......Bob Nutting....I know) and the rest of the small and medium market teams who find the game rigged against them more and more every year, as MLB only cares about the Big 4 Teams (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

7/25/2022 8:41 am  #11

Another good article with links of where things are heading.  Collective bargaining, revenue sharing...

The transfer portal is about to get even wilder when the NCAA allows players to transfer multiple times - CBSSports.com

7/25/2022 9:37 am  #12

Thanks, CLK. In the article, this paragraph jumped out at me as being very important:
“Because of the academic requirements involved it will be difficult to transfer more than once as an undergrad. Incoming transfers have to be guaranteed financial aid for the five-year window of eligibility.”

The article didn’t explain what those academic requirements are; nor did they explain the guaranteed financial aid responsibility put on schools who accept transfers.

7/25/2022 10:06 am  #13

Vickroy,, I understand your pain!  Duquesne hasn’t hasn’t had a strong program since RE was let go. His last year was 2012. If nothing changes then we are all used to the last so many years.  I love college basketball so though I am a season ticket holder and fan, I now go to games to see the teams that come in “almost” as much as the Dukes. I’m glad we are in a good conference. 

7/25/2022 10:51 am  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Thanks, CLK. In the article, this paragraph jumped out at me as being very important:
“Because of the academic requirements involved it will be difficult to transfer more than once as an undergrad. Incoming transfers have to be guaranteed financial aid for the five-year window of eligibility.”

The article didn’t explain what those academic requirements are; nor did they explain the guaranteed financial aid responsibility put on schools who accept transfers.

I didn't get it either.  Probably doesn't matter as academic standards will be the next thing to be waived.  Revenue sharing brought about by collective bargaining would spell the end for many smaller schools I'm afraid.  Revenues for smaller schools are barely sufficient to cover costs in many cases.  Big changes are coming.  Soon we will have a collegiate pro league with their own so called governing body, with smaller schools having their own association or dropping athletic scholarship sports.  

7/25/2022 3:01 pm  #15

CLK wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I didn't get it either.  Probably doesn't matter as academic standards will be the next thing to be waived.  Revenue sharing brought about by collective bargaining would spell the end for many smaller schools I'm afraid.  Revenues for smaller schools are barely sufficient to cover costs in many cases.  Big changes are coming.  Soon we will have a collegiate pro league with their own so called governing body, with smaller schools having their own association or dropping athletic scholarship sports.  

Dark clouds indeed for the non superpower Schools. If the mid majors or champions of smaller conference with 1 bid get forced out of March Madness perhaps the NIT will become the gold standard for the small schools. Hopefully, the days of the NFL VS AFL which led to the Super Bowl would result in a super basketball championship between the winner of the superpower conference vs. the NIT champ. David vs. Goliath which could raise college basketball fan interest. Yes the bigs boys would win 70% of the games but teams like Villanova or the Zags could win a College basketball  Super Bowl game. Unfortunately, I cannot argue against your point of limited financial resources. Since the Courts got involved in the NIL issue what’s to say TITLE 9 does not fall to the wayside based upon economic duress facing small program Athletic departments. After all fan interest dictates huge TV contracts. Sad state of affairs that these kids are missing the boat of pursuing “their life’s work” (Chuck Noll) in obtaining Medical, Law, Engineering or business degrees. Good luck in making an NFL or NBA team.

7/25/2022 6:06 pm  #16

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/05/26/college-sports-pay-for-play/

I posted the link above in another thread under recruiting.  But, I think it is appropriate here as well.  If Purdue, a highly regarded school in the Big10, and frequently a top 25 basketball program has these views, then what chance do the rest of us have to develop competitive programs?  

My understanding is the NCAA does not control the revenue stream from the football national championship, but does so with basketball.  I think they are implementing these changes in an attempt to stave off the formation of super leagues that would threaten their revenue stream.  In doing so, they are destroying college athletics.  

8/04/2022 11:05 am  #17

It appears that no final decision has come on the new transfer rules. CLK, we weren’t the only ones with questions since there appears to be a ton of pushback from admins, coaches and students. 
https://theathletic.com/3475679/2022/08/03/ncaa-transfer-rules-changes-delayed/?source=user_shared_article

8/04/2022 12:03 pm  #18

Thanks Phoenix.  It probably doesn't matter if the new transfer rules pass as the NCAA has probably already set a precedent by granting all the waivers for players under the current rules.  

8/04/2022 2:49 pm  #19

A recent D1 counsel proposal will permit head coaches, before each scheduled basketball game, to alternate selections in choosing a player from either team's roster. The proposal is seen as an effort to bring more nostalgia back into college basketball. While all details of the new proposal are unclear, sources indicate that the rules will likely allow D5 or teams from power conferences to have two player selections per turn as opposed to one player choice per turn for  mid to lower conference teams.This new proposal has the backing of athletic directors from the Big 12 and Pac 12 who are acting as advisors to the NCAA regarding the new proposal. It is anticipated that the top 5 rated basketball conferences will be selected to vote on the potential passage of this new proposal during the current pre-season.

Board footera