Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2022 9:35 am  #1

Duquesne Becomes First D-1 Offer for Bryce James, Son of LeBron James

8/22/2022 11:58 am  #2

Re: Duquesne Becomes First D-1 Offer for Bryce James, Son of LeBron James

Great move for the Duquesne Program; PR frenzy and much publicity surrounding the James family.  Bryce has good size already at 6'5" and will continue to get stronger and may still add an inch or two.  He also has a nice shooting stroke already at the age of15!  

8/22/2022 1:08 pm  #3

KD's contract ends in two years.
Bryce will be a senior and Joyce will have two years as associate coach.
I wonder if KD will retire at the end of his contract, Joyce named the new coach and Bryce plays for Dukes for
one or even two years.

8/22/2022 1:22 pm  #4

levon1975 wrote:

Great move for the Duquesne Program; PR frenzy and much publicity surrounding the James family.  Bryce has good size already at 6'5" and will continue to get stronger and may still add an inch or two.  He also has a nice shooting stroke already at the age of15!  

It is a PR frenzy for the Duquesne Athletic programs, levon1975.  Between the Bryce offer, LeBron's retweet of Dru Joyce and the run up to the Florida State football game, Duquesne's name is out there for sure.

8/22/2022 1:57 pm  #5

Make no mistake Coach Dru was hired for 1 reason and 1 reason only: to recruit and bring 1 if not both James boys to Duquesne!

8/22/2022 5:40 pm  #6

Econ… I agree 100%. 

8/23/2022 10:29 am  #7

lilpav30 wrote:

Make no mistake Coach Dru was hired for 1 reason and 1 reason only: to recruit and bring 1 if not both James boys to Duquesne!

Has DU even offered Bronny yet?

8/23/2022 9:11 pm  #9

Can;'t wait for him to take his place among the Duquesne greats like Danny Fortson.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

8/24/2022 6:46 pm  #10

lilpav30 wrote:

I see real value in this ploy. It is a good idea for a program that needs creative ideas.

However, if the 22-23 Dukes lose 20 games, KD needs to go; no questions asked. This coaching staff has shown no signs of resurrecting this program for better than 3 years. Keeping the program in a holding pattern for 2+ years in the hopes of a first time head coach & an all-time great's promising son will begin a miracle turnaround is a shaky proposition.

8/25/2022 6:57 am  #11

I am quite tired of the whole LeBron thing. Is it anything more than Dambrot trying to grease his reputation by recalling he coached a star in high school? What has LeBron done for Duquesne? Has he ever appeared here? Has he done anything more than allowing Duquesne to use his logo. Let's move on.

8/25/2022 10:24 am  #12

kneeguy wrote:

I am quite tired of the whole LeBron thing. Is it anything more than Dambrot trying to grease his reputation by recalling he coached a star in high school? What has LeBron done for Duquesne? Has he ever appeared here? Has he done anything more than allowing Duquesne to use his logo. Let's move on.

I think the Lebron thing is over done too but let’s be fair.  Lebron is the most famous Athlete in the world possibly but definitely in the US. Duquesne is about as bottom a D1 program that exists. Lebron has regularly tweeted about KD and the DU program, wore shoes with the DU logo, wore a DU T shirt and posted a pic, and had his son wear a DU shirt.  Millions and millions of people saw that. Just having him associated with the program is a bonus.  How much more do you want him to do?  He’s not a former student/player!

8/25/2022 11:10 am  #13

Can DU round up $7M to give to his kid?   If no, then forget about it.  Maybe Mike James is related to LeBron, cousins?   No?   Forget about it.   

If I was a popular kid, with no money worries even for my great great great grandkids, and knew I was a one and done, I'd consider any school.   I'm famous already, I dont need to be at Duke or Kansas.   I might like El Paso for authentic Mexican food, go to UTEP, or maybe I like the mountains and want Colorado.   Or go off the radar for a year to a media hole in the ground and just have fun being a kid before going pro, like, maybe, Duquesne, you cant go more off the map than Duquesne.  Thats the selling point!!!  Be a kid for a year with few to no buzzards around your neck.  He can score 8 ppg on a team thats 4-24 and go to whatever team his daddy will be on during draft.

But, one more time, forget about it.

Last edited by townsonkid (8/25/2022 11:11 am)

8/27/2022 2:34 pm  #14

Fortson was great at Cincinnati and a fair NBA career. If John Carroll gets him, who knows. Instead we got his skinny buddy Justin Stright who was not as good. Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. All of the comments are very valid. We already know that the money is going to kill most mid-majors. Not in their conferences but in the Dance. Anybody tired yet of seeing Alabama and two other SEC schools plus either Ohio State or Clemson in the football playoffs? Same thing will happen here. Eight or nine Big Ten schools, eight or nine Big East schools (the exception0, eight or nine ACC schools, eight or nine from the Big 12, five or six from the Pac whatever. 22-30 bids left. Anyway, try to generate as much interest and publicity as you are able to. And pray.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/27/2022 3:14 pm  #15

OTR, you hit the nail on the head about generating as much publicity and interest in the program on social media and go from there!  I just saw a piece on the Bryce James offer in the NY Post; it’s great exposure for Duquesne; and will make it much easier to get a word with other prime time players!

Towson,
In regard to NIL money you mention that “Duquesne  would have to come up with $7 million”to sign either of the James siblings; but that’s not how NIL works.  The school doesn’t come up with the money; since it comes from private sources.  It actually works in Duquesne’s favor; since any school that signs either of the James brothers will see NIL money pour in from major corporations seeking to stay connected to the James family.  So that is actually a positive.

8/29/2022 4:51 pm  #16

KenOTR73 wrote:

Fortson was great at Cincinnati and a fair NBA career. If John Carroll gets him, who knows. Instead we got his skinny buddy Justin Stright who was not as good. Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. All of the comments are very valid. We already know that the money is going to kill most mid-majors. Not in their conferences but in the Dance. Anybody tired yet of seeing Alabama and two other SEC schools plus either Ohio State or Clemson in the football playoffs? Same thing will happen here. Eight or nine Big Ten schools, eight or nine Big East schools (the exception0, eight or nine ACC schools, eight or nine from the Big 12, five or six from the Pac whatever. 22-30 bids left. Anyway, try to generate as much interest and publicity as you are able to. And pray.

We never had a chance to get Fortson!! none! At the time he used to work his summer job at Stright's place and he came into the store my cousin managed. He saw my cousin's Dukes hat and they chatted a lot.He told my cousin that Duquesne was never a realistic option for him.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

9/06/2022 6:59 pm  #17

Tejas_Duke wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

We never had a chance to get Fortson!! none! At the time he used to work his summer job at Stright's place and he came into the store my cousin managed. He saw my cousin's Dukes hat and they chatted a lot.He told my cousin that Duquesne was never a realistic option for him.

Now we know. Thanks Tejas, that always bothered me...

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera