Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2013 6:01 pm  #26

Re: Albany

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Not sure why people who disagree with you are either making noise or classified as a troll...but that's ok I'll let that go.  Gil and Ridenour are freshman and need to be developed, that does not mean to me that they should be given major minutes  In my opinion Gil really hurt us with his defense on Wednesday.  He came in to replace McKoy and just hung out on the perimiter chucking threes.  He did not have one single rebound, and 3 fouls in 8 minutes.  Right now we need him to play the 4 and be under the basket getting rebounds.   Ridenour if he can play under control should be given minutes at the point in place of Colter, I do not believe he is a better option in the wing as I believe Jerry is a better defender and shooter, and knows how to run the base line and get in position to score.  He and Indy in my opinion should be sharing most of the minutes at the 3 position. 

I have no problem with folks who disagree. I just like to see them back it up. You backed your opinion up, the others did not. There are a finite number of minutes available. If you want to argue that jerry deserves more run, you have to explain where his minutes are going to come from, and why. You did that.

----------------
I guess I'm the one who didn't back up my opinion. That's because I didn't log in since I originally posted. My opinion was based on what Jerry has already shown. I think he was underutilized last year, and more so this year. I disagree that an opinnion on playing time doesn't matter if the one who opines doesn't target time loss for other payers.

Jerry played 3 freakin minutes. Specifically if you need it, take the minutes from Gill, Colter and Ridenour.

11/22/2013 10:35 pm  #27

My opinion is that Jerry Jones is very athletic and showed promise over the past two years at various times.  Whether he would make a difference between wins and losses I can't say.

Last edited by FAM (11/22/2013 10:35 pm)

11/23/2013 10:51 am  #28

FAM wrote:

My opinion is that Jerry Jones is very athletic and showed promise over the past two years at various times.  Whether he would make a difference between wins and losses I can't say.

Well said. I think one thing everyone would agree on is that if we win say 15-18 games this year, we won't care much about who is playing, who is scoring, etc., unless we have kin in the game. 

One thing that's clear to me is that Soko is the center of the universe for us, and that we are going to try to make a living in the paint, although having Mason to loosen up the defense is a real blessing for us.

I saw a few minutes of UMass on TV yesterday, and they look athletic, energetic and very talented.

I'm starting to worry about conference play.

11/23/2013 1:11 pm  #29

El Duque, I've been worried about conference play for a long time.

I believe we have a higher talent level than last year, but we are far from being a cohesive team.  We're going to take our lumps in conference play when we face teams are loaded with upper classmen who are used to playing together.  Now certainly teams like that can lose to us; for example if they shoot 25% from the field for a half and then don't make any of their last 8 shots in a game.

We'll probably win a couple in conference play that will be surprises, but lose a couple we should win as well.  I'm looking at 4-6 wins in the conference at this point.

We're erratic both on offense and defense so far.  Soko seems to me to be trying to do too much himself and we've yet to be able to get the ball to Mason for open threes on a consistent basis.  Defense is definitely an after thought with most of the team.

What's going to happen when Watkins is able to play?  Jarrett mentioned on the pregame show that Watkins will begin full practice the week of Dec. 2.  Hopefully when that happens we'll be able to settle into a consistent rotation of players.

I'm not counting on Robinson at all at this point.  Even if he is given the okay to play this coming Monday I don't see how he can be ready to make a positive impact for weeks to come.  Maybe he will be able to, but I'm not expecting it.  I just hope he's working hard in the classroom so he'll be ready to go next year.

I think 15 wins is the best case scenario for us this year.  I see 9 as the best we can hope for out of conference and 6 in the A-10 to get to 15 wins.  Worst case could be something like 9 wins total and I really don't want to think along those lines.

11/23/2013 1:32 pm  #30

I read these posts and I share the concerns of my long-standing brethern Dukes fans.  Where I get comfort after watching this team since early June to date is encapsuled in what my high school coach told us before we stopped Gus Krop's St. Casimer's team record 56 straight wins.  They were reputed to have the 12 best players in the catholic league.  Our coach reminded us they can only play five at a time.  I have no doubt this team will eventually settle on a starting five that will dominate game time and be the match of many of the A-10 teams. It is way too early for me to worry--conference play doesn't start to January 8, 2014 vs. Fordham.  I truly believe this coaching staff will get this team to play solid defense and as Jim Ferry said after the Albany game, when that happens "****this team can be something special".  I am going to enjoy the ride regardless of wins this year.  They are a fun team to watch and the good news is that 10 of the 12 current scholarship players will be back next year.

11/24/2013 8:10 am  #31

El Duque: You think this team can win 15-17 games? Man, I wish I had your optimism. 

11/24/2013 2:12 pm  #32

rittersdiner wrote:

El Duque: You think this team can win 15-17 games? Man, I wish I had your optimism. 

Is that what I said?

I don't think so.

Maybe go back and take another look at that one.

11/24/2013 8:44 pm  #33

I understood it to mean if we win 15-17 games we would be happy and not worry about who gets PT, if not we may second guess the time certain players get.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/24/2013 9:20 pm  #34

Thanks Phildog! I was pretty sure that was what I wrote. 

And you made me laugh.

11/25/2013 7:01 am  #35

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, El D...:-)

A diehard fan since 1961

11/25/2013 7:24 am  #36

You too sir! Maybe we can all grab a turkey sammich at Ritter's Diner, if such a place exists. 

11/25/2013 9:32 am  #37

ElDuque wrote:

You too sir! Maybe we can all grab a turkey sammich at Ritter's Diner, if such a place exists. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ritters-Diner/117314791681582

11/25/2013 12:33 pm  #38

On second thought ...

11/25/2013 6:48 pm  #39

I remember many visits to Ritter's after the bars closed.  Occasionally we'd run into Jules Ignelzi there and when we did he always picked up our checks.  Good times.  I'm just now realizing that I haven't eaten at Ritter's since April 1, 1987.  Time sure can slip away.

11/25/2013 11:00 pm  #40

My wife and I actually stopped there for desert about a month ago.

Has Ritters always been in Bloomfield or did they have other locations at one point?  I recall hearing a couple of times that the nightlife in Pittsburgh was centered around Liberty Ave in the 70's and 80's (refering to the Bloomfield section of course, I heard a different kind of nightlife went on in the downtown portion). I guess they'd be in prime position for the last call crowd. Probably like the now defunct Carson St Tom's Dinner  was while I was in school.

Last edited by steve19981 (11/25/2013 11:20 pm)

11/26/2013 7:50 am  #41

The only other location for Ritter's was right across the street in an old aluminum prefab diner.  The new building replaced that one in the mid 70s.  I didn't realize Tom's on Carson had closed.  I always enjoyed eating there.

11/26/2013 8:12 am  #42

Ritter's actually made some of the local documentaries on where to eat in Pittsburgh. Great place. Happy Thanksgiving all.

11/26/2013 10:01 am  #43

Ritter's was in the current location when I was a freshman at Duquesne, so if they were ever anywhere else, it was a long time ago.
Yeah, Liberty downtown used to be an active red light district. Strip joints, peep shows, and ho's from 6th St., all the way down to the Greyhound station. Penn Ave. as well. Also, there was a second very active ho stroll. It was originally along Centre Ave., but after the riots in 68, became centered along Forbes and Fifth Uptown, from Jumonville, down to Stevenson. Anyone who went to Duquesne in the 70's and 80's would know what I'm talking about. Prostitution has largely moved on-line now,

Last edited by duq81 (11/26/2013 10:05 am)

11/26/2013 1:42 pm  #44

There was a "palm reader" on Liberty called Madam Rosa's, I think. I had a friend who determined one day that he had to consult the lady about his future, so I walked downtown (or dahntahn, if you prefer) with him to keep him company. We walked upstairs to a very dark space that connected to several doorways. In front of each door was a chair on which various men's garments were strewn. By now, I'm sure you're all figuring this out. My friend didn't. We were greeted by an extremely large man with an eye patch, tattoos all over his body, and big hoop earrings. The man asked us "What the HELL do you boys want?" My friend says, "I want to get my palm read." The man asks him if he has money, and my friend says yes.

The man goes behind a curtain, and a haggard-looking old woman who reeks of booze and cigarettes appears. She was quite lovely -- missing most of her teeth and the ones she did have were brown. She asks us what we want, and my friend repeats, "I want to get my palm read." The woman says, "No problem, cost you $50 for 15 minutes, regardless of the outcome."

My friend considers this for a minute and says, "$50? That's ... $10 a finger." Madam Rosa looks at him like he's lost his mind. "Look," she says, if you want 15 minutes with one of my girls, it's $50. If you're wasting my time, I'll get George back out here and he'll beat your (butt), take your money, and throw both of you out."

Disappointed, my friend apologizes, tells Madam Rosa that he only has $20, and we turn to leave. As we walk by one of the closed doors, we notice that there is a police officer's uniform draped over one of the chairs, including his holster. My friend sees this and says, "We'd better get out of here, I think George is a police officer."

After we got out the front door, I explained to my friend that Madam Rosa was no palm reader; she was simply a madam. About a half mile down the road, the light goes on and he says, "Wait, are you saying there were prostitutes there?"

True story. The guy was a pharmacy major who grew up, as they say, "in the sticks."

11/26/2013 3:04 pm  #45

ElDuque wrote:

There was a "palm reader" on Liberty called Madam Rosa's, I think. I had a friend who determined one day that he had to consult the lady about his future, so I walked downtown (or dahntahn, if you prefer) with him to keep him company. We walked upstairs to a very dark space that connected to several doorways. In front of each door was a chair on which various men's garments were strewn. By now, I'm sure you're all figuring this out. My friend didn't. We were greeted by an extremely large man with an eye patch, tattoos all over his body, and big hoop earrings. The man asked us "What the HELL do you boys want?" My friend says, "I want to get my palm read." The man asks him if he has money, and my friend says yes.

The man goes behind a curtain, and a haggard-looking old woman who reeks of booze and cigarettes appears. She was quite lovely -- missing most of her teeth and the ones she did have were brown. She asks us what we want, and my friend repeats, "I want to get my palm read." The woman says, "No problem, cost you $50 for 15 minutes, regardless of the outcome."

My friend considers this for a minute and says, "$50? That's ... $10 a finger." Madam Rosa looks at him like he's lost his mind. "Look," she says, if you want 15 minutes with one of my girls, it's $50. If you're wasting my time, I'll get George back out here and he'll beat your (butt), take your money, and throw both of you out."

Disappointed, my friend apologizes, tells Madam Rosa that he only has $20, and we turn to leave. As we walk by one of the closed doors, we notice that there is a police officer's uniform draped over one of the chairs, including his holster. My friend sees this and says, "We'd better get out of here, I think George is a police officer."

After we got out the front door, I explained to my friend that Madam Rosa was no palm reader; she was simply a madam. About a half mile down the road, the light goes on and he says, "Wait, are you saying there were prostitutes there?"

True story. The guy was a pharmacy major who grew up, as they say, "in the sticks."

ED - you have led a most fascinating life, at least in  your younger days.  About the only thing anyone I knew wanted to do downtown was watch a local radio station raising funds for Children's Hospital in the department store windows.  On the other hand, I have led a most boring life. (although I did have a friend who took me to the Go Go Lounge in McKees Rocks once...no, maybe twice...OK maybe even 3 times.  But that was it.)

11/26/2013 3:12 pm  #46

Mulder, we used to go caroling in the dorms to raise money and bring it to KDKA when they broadcast from Kaufman's. People would pay us a lot of money for our singing. Actually, they paid us to stop singing. It was foolproof. We always got to sing. I think that DJ passed away recently.

Hey, I had interesting friends. I just got to follow them around.

11/26/2013 6:03 pm  #47

ElDuque wrote:

Funniest story ever!!

Board footera