Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2022 12:21 pm  #1

Game Threads -- Should they be continued?

Looking for feedback.  Are these Game Threads of any value to the board?  Since they take a bit of time to pull together manually, I am considering not doing them this year.

If you feel they are of value and should be continued, any suggestions?
Here's a link to the last game thread.
Duquesne Dukes Fan Forum » Game Thread - University of Rhode Island Rams (A10 Tourney) (boardhost.com)

11/06/2022 12:36 pm  #2

Re: Game Threads -- Should they be continued?

Phoenix.  The game threads are great but I personally have one criticism.  And this is only constructive as I am sure all of us appreciate your efforts. 
The criticism boils down to “too much information “.  Perhaps suggestions could be made regarding what to include.  I am a career numbers guy but I have limits.  I defer to others to hear their thoughts on inclusions but I mainly want rankings as well as relevant stats on opponents so I can watch for them.  Bottom line is whatever works for your schedule is fine with me.  Your diligence is most appreciated regardless.

11/06/2022 4:48 pm  #3

Phoenix - YES!  We get no information from the school, marketing, or PR.  We get no information from the Media.  PLEASE continue them.  They are extremely appreciated!!!!!!!!!

11/06/2022 11:30 pm  #4

I always appreciate them, but also know how much work something like that can be. So if you continue them I’ll be grateful and if you can’t I’ll have to get my info elsewhere (difficult to do with the Dukes as has already been pointed out).

11/07/2022 1:10 am  #5

I also appreciate the information. As previously stated, a little less information would be sufficient.

11/07/2022 6:52 am  #6

I have always looked forward to the Game Threads and appreciate the work.  They are tremendously informative.  I personally think the first 5 paragraphs and the last paragraph are the most informative. Thanks for keeping us informed.

11/07/2022 8:59 am  #7

I'm satisfied with the FIRST paragraph only --  I just want to get an idea how does DU rank out of the 330 or so programs out there??    How does the other team rank???   Based on the game site --  How much of a difference between the two teams???   AND early in the season --   with ALL the turnover among teams -- How accurate can Ken Pom be???   

IF there was a Hall of Fame --  For Fan Board Posters --  Phoenix --- YOU WOULD BE A FIRST BALLOTT-- LEAD PIPE CINCH-- MORTAL LOCK WINNER

Appreciate your contributions in addition to the game previews.

Last edited by SkepticAl (11/07/2022 9:00 am)

11/07/2022 9:14 am  #8

My overdue thanks for your posts. I hope they continue in some form.
You have several good ideas already about how to abridge your posts. I can't improve on them.
P. S.: I am personally relieved that we are not having a contest predicting the number of wins. With the transfer portal, a hard job is made impossible.

11/07/2022 9:47 am  #9

Always appreciated these game threads Phoenix, but it must be a lot of work.

11/07/2022 10:01 am  #10

kcc173 wrote:

Phoenix. The game threads are great but I personally have one criticism. And this is only constructive as I am sure all of us appreciate your efforts.
The criticism boils down to “too much information “. Perhaps suggestions could be made regarding what to include. I am a career numbers guy but I have limits. I defer to others to hear their thoughts on inclusions but I mainly want rankings as well as relevant stats on opponents so I can watch for them. Bottom line is whatever works for your schedule is fine with me. Your diligence is most appreciated regardless.

I agree - appreciated but too much info.  Im only thinking of you though.  i peruse the game thread every time but only focus on a few things and I always think, "man this must take this guy forever to do - I hope everyone else is reading what I'm not."

11/07/2022 10:30 am  #11

My suggestions would be the first three paragraphs and the second to last paragraph. Thanks for the information!!

11/07/2022 11:15 am  #12

I think it is great we have thread to discuss each game and that should never stop, if you don't have time to get us all of the stats don't worry! What I enjoy most is the simple fact there is a discussion on the forum for each matchup.

11/07/2022 1:21 pm  #13

I am grateful for the insight and information you bring to this board in general, and for the game threads in particular.

11/07/2022 3:59 pm  #14

Tuesday, November 8th
ESPN+ 7:00 PM DUQUESNE-Montana

Let's Go Dukes!

11/07/2022 4:57 pm  #15

The game threads are good, much appreciate them. They lead into pre-game discussions and ultimately it is where to look during timeouts when the game is underway and one feels like sounding off. If you choose to reduce the research time, you can't be blamed for that.

11/07/2022 6:24 pm  #16

Thanks for all of the kind words and feedback.  As you have pointed out, I went down the rabbit hole with providing advanced metrics and stats; the heavy usage of these KenPom stats by the Dukes' coaching staff influenced me to provide them in the game thread.

I will be continuing the Game Threads for this year.  As you will see, they amount of data has been reduced and cleaned up.  I am providing weblinks for those members who want to dive a little bit deeper (note: the KenPom is subscription based, but all other links should be available to you.  The links to the Sports Reference team pages will allow you to dig through cumulative and game team and individual stats for both Duquesne and the opponents).

Your comments are always welcome.  Let's Go Dukes!

Of course, there will not be much meat on these posts until we get a few games in.  By early December, we should start to see some valid rankings in KenPom. 

Board footera