Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2022 6:43 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - University of Montana Grizzlies

https://twitter.com/OptaSTATS/status/1590182997508378624?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1590182997508378624%7Ctwgr%5E9910be37315b1718520fa7dc5cd23da61c5d4cec%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fskylinesportsmt.com%2Fduquesne-drills-griz-in-opener-in-pittsburgh%2F
Saw this amazing Item Wow!

What a fun night came away impressed with many positives especially the defense hustle and rebounding not to mention shot making.
Grant Hronsky McGriff Reece played exceptional just to mention a few
Hopefully this bodes well for the new look Dukes
Go Dukes tame the wildcats

11/09/2022 9:35 am  #27

11/09/2022 9:37 am  #28

11/09/2022 10:43 am  #29

luckymcd wrote:

In the past 27 years and 6 coaches, this is just our third win by at least 28 points over a team that had been in the NCAA tournament within the previous five seasons. On 2/15/17, Jim Ferry and the Dukes beat Massachusetts 96-66 three years after they made the NCAA tournament. On 11/27/10, Ron Everhart and the Dukes beat UMBC 101-69 three years after they made the NCAA tournament. Prior to that you have to go all the way back to 12/22/94 to when John Carroll and the Dukes beat Robert Morris 87-58 three years after they made the NCAA tournament. Tonight was Dambrot's first such win. Nee, Porter, and Edgar never had any.

In the past 18 years, this is the sixth game we've had a lead of at least 40 points in. The distinguishing characteristic from the other five is the opponent. Montana might not be the team they were a few years ago, but they still were above 500 last year in a decent conference. The other five games we had 40 point leads in since 2004 came against: Delaware St. in a 21-75 stretch over three years, two games against division 2 Bluefield St, Houston Christian in just their fourth year in division 1, and Howard who hadn't finished over .300 in five years.

I'm trying really hard not to get too excited about this one since we've seen early highlights result in pitiful finishes many times before. Still this one did look different. Grant shot the lights out and looks to be the kind of scorer we haven't had in quite some time. Hronsky looked like a fifth year senior rather than the true freshman he is.

The biggest thing to me is that it all started with defense. I was surprised to see we only forced 13 turnovers, because it felt like much more than that. We didn't get caught out of position pressuring for those turnovers though. The rotation was solid and we shut down their offense inside and out. Then after forcing those many misses we dominated the glass.

To make things even better it was a true team win. 11 guys played, 10 scored at least 3 points, 10 had at least 2 rebounds, and 8 had steals. We have both top flight talent unlike we've had in quite some time and legitimate A-10 depth (and of course that doesn't even include Brewer).

It will take a miracle (not to mention an off game from them) to beat Kentucky, but at least we're getting them early. If Evansville, VMI, and Gardner-Webb can beat them early, why not Duquesne? Still I'm even more excited for this season than I was yesterday because this looks to be Dambrot's most talented team, best team, best coaching staff, and team most built in his image. Okay rant over, I'll go back to trying to contain my excitement over one game.

Thanks for the heavy research, luckymcd; certainly helps put this win in perspective.

What an opener for the Dukes; I didn’t see that coming (similar to the Princeton opener 3 years ago); was just hoping for a win. Nice to be surprised in a good way.

11/09/2022 11:14 am  #31

There were probably just as many students behind the net as the rest of the stands combined! If the students can continue to show out, and I believe they will if we continue to win, this could be a special season. I was highly impressed with the full court press and the overall height difference compared to last year. Onto Lexington Friday! 

11/09/2022 12:35 pm  #32

BluffHunter wrote:

There were probably just as many students behind the net as the rest of the stands combined! If the students can continue to show out, and I believe they will if we continue to win, this could be a special season. I was highly impressed with the full court press and the overall height difference compared to last year. Onto Lexington Friday! 

Students were pumped up and into the game. I was very impressed by the team's interaction with them after it was over. High fives and solid acknowledgement of the fans as they exited the court. That will help to keep them coming back (along with W's). Well done, team and coaches. 

One critique, would've been nice to hear the fight song play a bit longer even if it is a recording.

11/09/2022 3:32 pm  #34

11/09/2022 4:02 pm  #35

If Matus can get a double figure game in Kentucky, it sounds like he is a sure fire Rookie of the Week candidate.

11/09/2022 4:31 pm  #36

I unfortunately was not able to go to the game and couldn’t get my ESPN plus account to work last night. It seems like some of my concerns about Dambrot coached teams were eliminated with this cast of characters. Seems like they like each other, willing to pass to the open man and play sticky defense.  I have noticed there are less posters, that being said, if people could go in more detail about each player, that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!  Die hard Dukes fan. As I am getting older, one thing I would love to see is the Dukes in the tournament.

11/09/2022 7:45 pm  #37

Tshiebwe didn't play first game for Kentucky but I think they said he was close to coming back. 

Last edited by WashPaRick (11/09/2022 7:46 pm)

11/09/2022 8:12 pm  #38

I was just a little disappointed not to see Barre & Barba last night with such a huge lead.

11/09/2022 9:35 pm  #39

Cautious optimism, I figured Grant would be a player but Friday could really get ugly

11/09/2022 11:29 pm  #40

phil95 wrote:

I was just a little disappointed not to see Barre & Barba last night with such a huge lead.

Barba was not on site

11/10/2022 10:25 am  #41

I heard pregame that Barre wasnt going to play, cant remember why.   Not sure on Barba.   

Friday night will be fun, no matter what.   Tiny chance of an upset would be awesome.   A good game is what I hope for, dont lose composure and just play good ball.   And a blowout, 30+ would not be awful either, should humble anyone that got out ahead of their skis after Tuesday.   It will be a good learning experience.

11/10/2022 11:39 am  #42

townsonkid wrote:

I heard pregame that Barre wasnt going to play, cant remember why.   Not sure on Barba.   

Friday night will be fun, no matter what.   Tiny chance of an upset would be awesome.   A good game is what I hope for, dont lose composure and just play good ball.   And a blowout, 30+ would not be awful either, should humble anyone that got out ahead of their skis after Tuesday.   It will be a good learning experience.

Townson Kid: I agreed with your post up to the point of your advising the team to play good ball. But where in the world did you ever learn that when playing any other team that, "...a blowout, 30+ would not be awful either..."
It is most certainly awful to get beat that bad. There is absolutely nothing about that is acceptable to a team which possesses a strong desire to win--and I believe this year's team has that pride.  It is said that: The minute you start talking about what you’re going to do if you lose, you have lost. We do not go into a game expecting to lose (by any margin), no matter what the odds, no matter who the opponent.
I absolutely do not doubt your passion as a Duquesne fan, but I do question your acceptance of a blowout of the Dukes.

Last edited by Bleeds Red & Blue (11/10/2022 11:42 am)

11/10/2022 1:12 pm  #43

December 2nd, 2021 Duquesne lost to Bowling Green 78-70. Bowling Green's highest scorer with 15 was Joe Reece - he is now with Duquesne. Duquesne's highest scorer with 20 was Leon Ayers - he is now with Bowling Green.

11/10/2022 3:13 pm  #44

The story on Kentucky site said they had 3 starters sitting out their first game. All due to injuries I believe. I watched parts of the game and they still had plenty of talent on the court. Who knows what's going to happen when they throw it up, but I'm anxious to see.

11/10/2022 4:47 pm  #45

The Blue Lion mascot was quite interesting as he stood in front of the fans all night.  Sure hope he’s not on scholarship!  LOL

11/10/2022 5:46 pm  #46

FAM wrote:

The Blue Lion mascot was quite interesting as he stood in front of the fans all night.  Sure hope he’s not on scholarship!  LOL

Unfortunately, they actually paid a company to come up with Kimba the blue lion.😂

11/10/2022 6:04 pm  #47

Just when you think there's a breather coming up after the Kentucky game. So. Caro. St. loses by 3 at So. Carolina.

11/24/2022 1:02 am  #48

There's a highlight video for this game as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEJiRky5cFs

Board footera