Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2022 9:26 am  #1

Game Thread - South Carolina State University Bulldogs

7:00pm EST tip on Monday 11/14/2022 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Duquesne Virtual Game Program:  https://indd.adobe.com/view/ecff9275-a12e-45dd-99a7-3061952e7b4c

Per KenPom (363 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #126 (1-1) vs South Carolina St. Bulldogs #345 (0-2)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 18, 80-62 - Dukes with 96% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=476

Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #165 vs South Carolina St. #349
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 15, 77.94-62.80
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=5161&tid2=4391&neut=0

Betting line: Dukes are 19½ point favorites; Over/Under 142½
Duquesne 1-1 Against the Spread: South Carolina St. 1-1 ATS

Duquesne Game Notes:  https://goduquesne.com/news/2022/11/13/mens-basketball-pr-eview-duquesne-vs-south-carolina-state.aspx
South Carolina St. Game Notes:  https://www.scsuathletics.com/news/2022/11/14/mens-basketball-sc-state-takes-on-duquesne-monday-on-national-stage.aspx

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/2023.html
South Carolina St.:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/south-carolina-state/2023.html

Dukes KenPom Best Wins: Montana (215)
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Kentucky (1)
South Carolina St. KenPom Best Wins: None
South Carolina St. KenPom Worst Losses: Tennessee St. (274); South Carolina (83)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 34.0%, 153 in D-1; Defense 43.6%, 323 in D-1
South Carolina St. 3 Point:  Offense 34.0%, 151 in D-1; Defense 38.1%, 268 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 54.7%, 100 in D-1; Defense 41.9%, 62 in D-1
South Carolina St. 2 Point:  Offense 43.2%, 274 in D-1; Defense 50.7%, 187 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 62.5%, 279 in D-1; Defense 73.0%, 247 in D-1
South Carolina St. FT:  Offense 52.6%, 331 in D-1; Defense 67.9%, 160 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
South Carolina St. Adj Offense Efficiency - 90.9; 345 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 97.8; 120 in D-1
South Carolina St. Adj Defense Efficiency - 108.3; 345 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.1; 133 in D-1
South Carolina St. Adj Tempo - 72.1; 89 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 70.1; 232 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
D-1 Experience - South Carolina St. 0.97 yrs; 324 in D-1; Dukes 1.85 yrs; 179 in D-1
Average Height - South Carolina St. 75.5"; 346 in D-1; Dukes 77.2"; 157 in D-1

11/14/2022 9:48 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - South Carolina State University Bulldogs

Get back on the W train.   

11/14/2022 10:45 am  #3

I would love an 18 point win but I’m Leary of these trap games.
Gotta play hard and avenge the Kentucky loss.
Hope the students show up again.
Go Dukes!

11/14/2022 11:49 am  #4

While very comfortable that this is a win, the spread looks too high to me.  Admittedly I am basing that on a three point loss these guys had on an SEC court.  Yes, it was an in state rival and they got smoked last game but let’s not get too cocky (yet)

11/14/2022 12:38 pm  #5

We will see how these guys can bounce back from getting their teeth knocked in tonight. I think I'll have a decent enough grasp on where each player is developmentally after this game. We should get a much better look at Brewer tonight, although sounds like he will be limited for the time being. 

11/14/2022 1:27 pm  #6

The game is televised tonight on CBS Sports Network.

11/14/2022 2:02 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

The game is televised tonight on CBS Sports Network.

Thanks CKK I would have been looking for the game on ESPN+😱

11/14/2022 6:21 pm  #8

Talked to someone who knows the Edwards kid and he said he's not starting tonight. Might be in the dog house. He's one of their better players.

11/14/2022 8:08 pm  #9

Little rough around the edges but liking the results so far.

11/14/2022 9:22 pm  #10

Switch to the radio for the after game interviews and just as coach starts to talk they put on 6 commercials and miss his and Clark's interviews.

11/14/2022 9:55 pm  #11

Duquesne has a pretty good team,louzy radio broadcasts with all these commercials.The attendance piss poor,
embarrassing to see the lack of support on national tv.Fire the entire athletic dept. WTF is the problem Dave Harper.

11/14/2022 10:01 pm  #12

Just laziness in getting folks to support this pretty good team.

11/15/2022 9:08 am  #13

This was a really good team win by the Dukes....51 rebounds,  52 bench points and 25 second chance points.  

Gallery: Duquesne Defeats South Carolina State - Pittsburgh Sports Now

Box Score
Men's Basketball vs South Carolina State on 11/14/2022 - Box Score - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

11/15/2022 9:53 am  #14

CLK wrote:

This was a really good team win by the Dukes....51 rebounds,  52 bench points and 25 second chance points.  

Gallery: Duquesne Defeats South Carolina State - Pittsburgh Sports Now

Box Score
Men's Basketball vs South Carolina State on 11/14/2022 - Box Score - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

Thanks CLK
Was very impressed with this win players and coaches
Rotroff had an outstanding all around game in only 12 minutes!
Colgate is going to be a test on Friday so let’s continue this progress into a TEAM!

11/15/2022 10:38 am  #15

11/15/2022 10:52 am  #16

Dixon looks like he could be the dude.   Has some skills for sure, but he seems to have that attitude that our previous big guys didnt seem to have except for Mike Hughes.   Clark, Grant, Brewer, McGriff and even Rozier, thats some nice talent there.   If the frontcourt can rebound and defend, should be a nice mix, and able to play 12 guys should keep them all fresh.   

11/15/2022 11:09 am  #17

townsonkid wrote:

Dixon looks like he could be the dude.   Has some skills for sure, but he seems to have that attitude that our previous big guys didnt seem to have except for Mike Hughes.   Clark, Grant, Brewer, McGriff and even Rozier, thats some nice talent there.   If the frontcourt can rebound and defend, should be a nice mix, and able to play 12 guys should keep them all fresh.   

Agree with your analysis and don’t forget Hronsky
Does anyone know what the Barre status is? He was in street clothes again. Is he injured or a redshirt candidate?

11/15/2022 12:28 pm  #18

Motor wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Does anyone know what the Barre status is? He was in street clothes again. Is he injured or a redshirt candidate?

Motor, based on Dambrot's comments, Barre is hurt.  My perception is that it is not a long term issue for this year.

11/15/2022 1:22 pm  #19

Below are my thoughts on each player after the first three games!

#0 Tevin Brewer - Didn't play first game, has been limited, obviously has great handles and vision but has not fully shown his point guard prowess yet. I'm confident he will be a major puzzle piece for this team as he continues to recover.

#1 Tre Clark - Knows exactly what he wants to do when he gets the ball. Another key player for this team. The way he can drive to the basket and always get a clean layup is absurd to me, I'm not sure how he missed  all the layups he did at Kentucky but played more like himself last night, going 6 for 6. I expect him to start all season. Hopefully keeps his head screwed on straight as his departure from VCU was questionable.

#2 David Dixon - Needs all the playing time he can possibly get before conference play begins. His mind and mechanics have not caught up to his body yet, but this young player has a very high ceiling. Not too confident on him to execute in crunch time yet, but that is why he needs to get minutes in the games like last night's.

#3 Dae Dae Grant - Probably will be our best player this season if he continues to take the open shots without being too flashy or forcing the ball. Coach D said he did not want Grant to bring the ball up the floor because he thinks it will hurt his shooting abilities, but Dae Dae helped bring the ball across half court a lot more last night than the first two games. 

#4 Tre Williams - Plays like a hard-nosed big man but is unfortunately slightly undersized and takes some bad shots and foul shots sometimes. Needs to figure out exactly what his gameplan should be this year, and I think it should be a 4 man who stays close to the basket. Break out the baby hook more.

#5 Halil Barre - Hopefully less raw than Hima

#14 Matus Hronsky - Another young player with lots of upside, and he obviously has a fight and swagger to him that he brings from Slovakia. Needs to start hitting the outside shots more if he wants to keep shooting them. Has gotten exposed on defense a few times, especially vs. Kentucky but more due to lack of proper positioning and running around after the ball.

#20 Joe Reece - I was highly impressed after Montana, but more back down to earth since Kentucky and SC St. Has the potential to be our guy this year down low, just needs to figure out how to protect the ball better when going up for layups against bigger guys. He had to have gotten blocked 4 or 5 times at Kentucky. I was impressed with his shot selection last night and as long as he doesn't start to panic and plays his game will be a huge help for the squad, especially shot blocking himself.

#21 RJ Gunn - Highly impressed with the 3 point shooting, but not sure exactly the role a player like him could have in league play. I would like to see him try to bang down low some more, he tried to dunk on a player late in the Kentucky game and got up there strong like Marcus Weathers used to. I'd like to see him take some influence from that.

#22 Andy Barba - Got his first minutes last night, not too much to say. Maybe it was just nerves but his 3s were pretty off-target. Seems happy to be there.

#23 Devin Carney - red shirt, haven't seen him in action at all, hopefully stays the course and has the talent to be a factor next year.

#25 Jaylen-Cole Williams - honorable that he would be the bench player manager, always respect the walk-ons. I hear he's popular on the Tik Tok.

#30 Jake Harper - Athletic director's son, best Duquesne basketball/football double athlete since Kellon Taylor.

#32 Kareem Rozier - Impressive so far, another player who does not try to play outside of himself or beyond his abilities. Quietly put up one of the better stat lines of the younger players last night. Hopefully becomes the backup option to Brewer, as I think Rozier has the IQ and mindset to be a great point guard.

#34 Austin Rotroff - Highly impressive so far. Please don't get hurt. He has finally been playing like I was hoping he would ever since He dropped 16 against William and Mary his college debut.  11 rebounds in 12 minutes last night. best stat line against Kentucky. Only player who has stayed the course with Dambrot and highly respect him for that. Should start if 100% healthy in my opinion.

#35 Kevin Easley Jr. - It shows how bad we were last season when one of our starters from previous season is already losing minutes to young newcomers. Needs to get his shot together quick if he wants valuable minutes. The short corner fadeaway needs to stop. His shot has a little more arc but sometimes still is on a clothesline. Saved his stat line last night in the second half with his transition dunks and strong layup. 

#55 Quincy Mcgriff - Another young player with a bunch of potential. Sometimes his youth is obvious as he makes some mental mistakes you should expect out of a freshman and looked especially nervous on the big stage of Rupp Arena. Just a solid player. Another guy like Dixon where the more he plays the more comfortable he ill continue to get.

Bottom line this team has more depth than I have seen from Duquesne maybe ever and key roles will begin to show themselves. Hopefully the team continues to play together while being unselfish and playing to their strengths. If the team can keep the brotherhood that they have been talking about strong, and push out the jealousy and heroism this team will surprise everybody. 

The starting lineup I would like to see for conference play:
1. Tevin Brewer
2. Dae Dae Grant
3. Tre Clark
4. Joe Reece
5. Austin Rotroff

I could see anybody out of Williams, Mcgriff, Rozier, Easley, Hronsky, and Dixon first off the bench depending on the scenario. This is only 3 games in so roles will continue to develop. All of non-conference play should be seen as preparation for the league.

11/15/2022 2:43 pm  #20

Motor wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

My thought is that they are happy with what they have in the frontcourt and if they can avoid long-term injuries in those positions, they may want to redshirt Barre and not waste a year having him play sparingly.  This could of course change if they lose one of the group to a long-term injury.  

11/15/2022 4:57 pm  #21

BluffHunter wrote:

Below are my thoughts on each player after the first three games!

#0 Tevin Brewer - Didn't play first game, has been limited, obviously has great handles and vision but has not fully shown his point guard prowess yet. I'm confident he will be a major puzzle piece for this team as he continues to recover.

#1 Tre Clark - Knows exactly what he wants to do when he gets the ball. Another key player for this team. The way he can drive to the basket and always get a clean layup is absurd to me, I'm not sure how he missed  all the layups he did at Kentucky but played more like himself last night, going 6 for 6. I expect him to start all season. Hopefully keeps his head screwed on straight as his departure from VCU was questionable.

#2 David Dixon - Needs all the playing time he can possibly get before conference play begins. His mind and mechanics have not caught up to his body yet, but this young player has a very high ceiling. Not too confident on him to execute in crunch time yet, but that is why he needs to get minutes in the games like last night's.

#3 Dae Dae Grant - Probably will be our best player this season if he continues to take the open shots without being too flashy or forcing the ball. Coach D said he did not want Grant to bring the ball up the floor because he thinks it will hurt his shooting abilities, but Dae Dae helped bring the ball across half court a lot more last night than the first two games. 

#4 Tre Williams - Plays like a hard-nosed big man but is unfortunately slightly undersized and takes some bad shots and foul shots sometimes. Needs to figure out exactly what his gameplan should be this year, and I think it should be a 4 man who stays close to the basket. Break out the baby hook more.

#5 Halil Barre - Hopefully less raw than Hima

#14 Matus Hronsky - Another young player with lots of upside, and he obviously has a fight and swagger to him that he brings from Slovakia. Needs to start hitting the outside shots more if he wants to keep shooting them. Has gotten exposed on defense a few times, especially vs. Kentucky but more due to lack of proper positioning and running around after the ball.

#20 Joe Reece - I was highly impressed after Montana, but more back down to earth since Kentucky and SC St. Has the potential to be our guy this year down low, just needs to figure out how to protect the ball better when going up for layups against bigger guys. He had to have gotten blocked 4 or 5 times at Kentucky. I was impressed with his shot selection last night and as long as he doesn't start to panic and plays his game will be a huge help for the squad, especially shot blocking himself.

#21 RJ Gunn - Highly impressed with the 3 point shooting, but not sure exactly the role a player like him could have in league play. I would like to see him try to bang down low some more, he tried to dunk on a player late in the Kentucky game and got up there strong like Marcus Weathers used to. I'd like to see him take some influence from that.

#22 Andy Barba - Got his first minutes last night, not too much to say. Maybe it was just nerves but his 3s were pretty off-target. Seems happy to be there.

#23 Devin Carney - red shirt, haven't seen him in action at all, hopefully stays the course and has the talent to be a factor next year.

#25 Jaylen-Cole Williams - honorable that he would be the bench player manager, always respect the walk-ons. I hear he's popular on the Tik Tok.

#30 Jake Harper - Athletic director's son, best Duquesne basketball/football double athlete since Kellon Taylor.

#32 Kareem Rozier - Impressive so far, another player who does not try to play outside of himself or beyond his abilities. Quietly put up one of the better stat lines of the younger players last night. Hopefully becomes the backup option to Brewer, as I think Rozier has the IQ and mindset to be a great point guard.

#34 Austin Rotroff - Highly impressive so far. Please don't get hurt. He has finally been playing like I was hoping he would ever since He dropped 16 against William and Mary his college debut.  11 rebounds in 12 minutes last night. best stat line against Kentucky. Only player who has stayed the course with Dambrot and highly respect him for that. Should start if 100% healthy in my opinion.

#35 Kevin Easley Jr. - It shows how bad we were last season when one of our starters from previous season is already losing minutes to young newcomers. Needs to get his shot together quick if he wants valuable minutes. The short corner fadeaway needs to stop. His shot has a little more arc but sometimes still is on a clothesline. Saved his stat line last night in the second half with his transition dunks and strong layup. 

#55 Quincy Mcgriff - Another young player with a bunch of potential. Sometimes his youth is obvious as he makes some mental mistakes you should expect out of a freshman and looked especially nervous on the big stage of Rupp Arena. Just a solid player. Another guy like Dixon where the more he plays the more comfortable he ill continue to get.

Bottom line this team has more depth than I have seen from Duquesne maybe ever and key roles will begin to show themselves. Hopefully the team continues to play together while being unselfish and playing to their strengths. If the team can keep the brotherhood that they have been talking about strong, and push out the jealousy and heroism this team will surprise everybody. 

The starting lineup I would like to see for conference play:
1. Tevin Brewer
2. Dae Dae Grant
3. Tre Clark
4. Joe Reece
5. Austin Rotroff

I could see anybody out of Williams, Mcgriff, Rozier, Easley, Hronsky, and Dixon first off the bench depending on the scenario. This is only 3 games in so roles will continue to develop. All of non-conference play should be seen as preparation for the league.

Thoughtful evaluation of the individuals up to this point.  I just wanted to add a few additional comments.
Kareem Rozier:  I really liked what I saw from him when he got a chance to play a long stint in the second half last night.  He played in control and seems very mature for a freshman in knowing when to push and when to slow down.  He can be very good.  When teams sagged off him he also hit the open three against Kentucky and again last night.  

Austin Rotroff:  I've got to give him credit for 11-rebounds last night in 12-minutes!  He did the best job of the bigs iin boxing out SCST on the defensive glass after they schooled us in the first half getting a bunch of Offensive boards.  he also blocked a shot or two.  I still see him maintaining his role coming off the bench however, since his minutes will always be limited due to his history of injuries.  He is best as he is being used in short bursts.  He will always have trouble with lateral movement, and quicker players; and is more likely to be injured when playing tired.  

RJ Gunn:  After a year sitting out due to injury, I'm sure he is just working off the rust; and I think there is much more to see from him.  It was great to see him can some long 3's last night.  Yes, he is a big man and can and should be able to contribute on the boards and defensively.  

Dae Dae Grant:  I feel he is an instinctive player who can do a lot for this team in scoring, assists, and providing an outlet as a ballhandler.  I expect good things as the team begins to gel and learn what Grant can do.  

11/15/2022 5:27 pm  #22

I think they missed one of Rotroff's rebounds.  I think he should have been credited with 12.

They're looking a lot better so far this season than last, but the wheels didn't really fall off until league play started last season.  Still, I'm really liking what I've seen in spite of plenty of teachable moments last night.

I guess no one wanted to sponsor the trip to beautiful downtown McKeesport this year.

11/15/2022 7:30 pm  #23

I was at the game (travelled from Altoona) and was pleased with the way the team played.  This is the first Duquesne team in a long time where I feel confident we will beat lesser teams.  Even the 20 win teams had some games where they had to make heroic comebacks and thus far we haven't seen that.  Still, the sample size is small.  

Also, this video on Rozier I found on youtube does a nice job at giving an inside look at the Dukes.  Dambrot, Charles Thomas, and Dru Joyce (who I think was a HUGE addition) give insights.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nVX3NlOsno&t=244s&ab_channel=BigGuard

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/15/2022 8:41 pm  #24

Colgate is up 16 on Syracuse in Syracuse with 7 minutes to play.

11/15/2022 9:00 pm  #25

phil95 wrote:

Colgate is up 16 on Syracuse in Syracuse with 7 minutes to play.

And Colgate wins by 12.

Board footera