Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2013 8:04 am  #1

Four games into the season ...

Here's what we know so far:

Soko and McKoy give us a pair of reliable big men. But we have ZERO depth up front.

Our best freshman so far has been ... drum roll ... Desmond Ridenour. I think the consensus hunch was that he would have limited minutes and provide depth in the backcourt, but he may be challenging Colter for a starting job soon.

Micah Mason has been a good all-around player for us despite still having lingering issues from offseason surgeries. Mason and Soko give us a strong 1-2 punch. If we can solidify the PG position, maybe with Ridenour getting more minutes, and add a wing with some scoring punch, we'll be pretty strong when we have the ball.

On the other hand, we need work on defense. A lot of work. TONS of work. We can't use the rules change as an excuse because it applies equally to all teams. Defense is about work, knowing your assignment, having good gourt awareness, work, and work. I think we have talent and quickness that could translate into better defense, and if we're able to add Watkins and Robinson, that will give us depth and hopefully extra toughness in the paint.

Regarding the wing position, I don't think Indiana Jones is suited for it. I was hoping Gill would win it, and it's possible if either Watkins or Robinson can play that we shift the frontcourt around a little. I know Ferry likes starting three guards, and I like Jones, but he can't cover a taller wing and you can't rotate one of the Smurfs or Mason over to that spot on defense. Plus I think it limits our options when we go to a zone. 

I like the quotes I see from Ferry in the press much better than the ones I saw last year. I think he's focused on building a winner and he's got some pieces already. If anyone missed it, when he started Mason over White, there was a terrific dialogue in the P-G about how he had talked privately to Tra'Vaughn, and how the kid was all about winning and contributing. Said a lot about coaching style and Tra'Vaughn White.

And speaking of White, he really is an explosive scorer. Soko and Mason might end up leading the team at the end of the season, but there will be nights when White lights it up. He gets to the basket in a nonce and he has decent touch on his shot. Since both Mason and White have played the point in the past, I wonder if Ferry would consider running them together? Both are more scorer than ball-handler, so it might be a little messy. Just a thought. Could stick Ridenour between them to handle.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! May we beat Pitt and be happy! 

Board footera