Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/23/2022 9:33 pm  #1

Play the games at Duquesne High school

Duquesne has a serious attendance problem.Thousands of empty seats.Why not move the games out to Duquesne
PA. They have a 1,000 seat gym that was built for the high school when the high school closed.There might be better
attendance at the Duquesne PA. gym as maybe Duquesne PA. would take a interest in the Dukes.
Cooper Fieldhouse is too big arena for the Dukes..Moving the games out to Kevin Prices hometown gym might
create a better atmosphere. The laziness of athletic dept to solve the attendances problems you got to do something.
Why not drive out to the Mon Valley and watch the games in Duke City as folks  in Duquesne call their town.?Heck
maybe the junior high school has a pep band.Dont have a band downtown as Duquesne cant get a pep band.Dave
Harper and the F troop gang make this happen.

11/23/2022 9:43 pm  #2

Re: Play the games at Duquesne High school

Stew,
  I hate to disagree but Pittsburgh is not a college basketball town when the teams haven't proven themselves.  Even when Everhart had the crazy attendance rhode island game, it was only AFTER the team went on a roll.  If the Dukes keep winning, people will show up.  Look at Pitt.  They can't get anyone in the Pete either.  When the attendance does grow, The Coop will be the perfect arena for us.  

It's worth noting that the Pirates have the nicest field in baseball, have like 6 million different marketing ploys per year, and still have low attendance when they are bad (like now).  It takes time.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/23/2022 9:43 pm  #3

Dukes played a lot of home games in Mckeesport High School gym in late 40s early 50s,why not cross the bridge over to Duquesne and see if there is interest in a team that has same nickname and town is Duquesne also.Maybe increase interest in the Mon Valley?

11/23/2022 9:46 pm  #4

We didn't build the coop to go to a high school gym in Duquesne, PA. That's not magically going to make a thousand more people come. C'mon Stew, you'll have no students and nobody wants to drive out there from the city.

11/23/2022 9:49 pm  #5

There has to be at least 25,000 alumni that live within 45 minutes of Cooper  Fieldhouse.Why did
Duquesne spend 45,000,000 dollars on a small basketball arena that has yet to have a capacity crowd?
Embarrassed ,yea Dukes cant fill a 3,000 seat facility.

11/23/2022 9:53 pm  #6

stew wrote:

There has to be at least 25,000 alumni that live within 45 minutes of Cooper  Fieldhouse.Why did
Duquesne spend 45,000,000 dollars on a small basketball arena that has yet to have a capacity crowd?
Embarrassed ,yea Dukes cant fill a 3,000 seat facility.

I'm sorry, did you not see the six win team that took the floor last year at that shining new facility? Did you miss that one?

Also tonight is the night before Thanksgiving. There are no students on campus! Everyone is home or out on the busiest bar night of the entire year!

The Dukes will not draw people until they get an NCAA bid, Period, not one minute before that happens!

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (11/23/2022 9:53 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/23/2022 9:58 pm  #7

How can you recruit talent with the lack of support Dukes get?Yes I am being sarcastic about  playing the games in the Mon Valley. It is extremely difficult to have Dambrots players to play hard when 500 folks show up to support them.Pissed at athletic dept. to get people into the Coop,Athletic dept lazy.Its embarrasssing.

11/23/2022 10:02 pm  #8

Give the tickets out for free as a sign of Duquesne is sorry for last years disaster.

11/23/2022 10:11 pm  #9

Duquesne has a pretty good team and just feel bad for our players that there is no energy at Coop.If you put
3,000 people in this building,the energy level amongst the players is through the roof ,they play hard and
nobody on schedule could win here.

11/23/2022 10:21 pm  #10

How is this even a post on a night that the Dukes play well? Gotta find something to complain about, I guess.

11/23/2022 11:22 pm  #11

rosceaux wrote:

How is this even a post on a night that the Dukes play well? Gotta find something to complain about, I guess.

Took everything in my power not to 86 this asinine thread.

11/23/2022 11:25 pm  #12

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

rosceaux wrote:

This topic is hall of fame worthy.

11/23/2022 11:51 pm  #13

Erik Kaminski wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

rosceaux wrote:

🏆🥇

11/23/2022 11:58 pm  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Erik Kaminski wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

🏆🥇

Top 2 and it ain't second. I love Stew and his passion I can feel it in his posts!

11/24/2022 12:12 am  #15

stew wrote:

Give the tickets out for free as a sign of Duquesne is sorry for last years disaster.

I was thinking of BOGO nights.  But it needs advertised, and wont be.   A cup of queso at Moe’s doesnt count.

UCSB is a quality opponent.  If we can beat them, then face Marshall and DePaul, teams people heard of, maybe people will start showing up.   🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited by townsonkid (11/24/2022 12:15 am)

11/24/2022 9:55 am  #16

Stew you are a great fan and have every right to express your opinion either way. We all have felt your pain over the team these past umpteen years.  
However I am jumping on the bandwagon of this team and program as its stands now being as supportive and positive as I can to help us reach our next goal in the league and the NCAA's

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Last edited by Motor (11/24/2022 9:55 am)

11/24/2022 10:13 am  #17

Going to Duquesne, PA is a novel idea for one or two games. That is provided the Athletic Staff can coordinate with Duquesne City Hall to get the word out to the community.  Maybe going back to La Roche can also be explored. Duquesne used to have doubleheaders at The Pitt Field House.  Maybe doubleheaders at Pitt's facility could be explored.

11/24/2022 11:21 am  #18

The Steelers stink; Pitt stinks in football and basketball; Penguins don't get major attention until spring; Pirates stink.  Duquesne has to win...and keep winning...and then hopefully the media will stop talking about Kenny Pickett for a minute and start to mention Duquesne...and then people will start to attend.  I hope it happens because this team has potential and deserves support.

11/24/2022 12:26 pm  #19

the professor1108 wrote:

The Steelers stink; Pitt stinks in football and basketball; Penguins don't get major attention until spring; Pirates stink.  Duquesne has to win...and keep winning...and then hopefully the media will stop talking about Kenny Pickett for a minute and start to mention Duquesne...and then people will start to attend.  I hope it happens because this team has potential and deserves support.

I agree. This team and this season just might be a big drawl if they can keep winning. Like you pointed out, no other Pgh team is winning and DU could get more attention this year.

11/24/2022 12:46 pm  #20

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

rosceaux wrote:

This board is fast becoming the RMS Titanic. The broadcasters suck. The espn+ production sucks. The coaching staff sucks. Students suck. AD sucks.  Well, the mascot Blue lion does however suck. You would think that the Dukes are 1-5.

11/24/2022 12:57 pm  #21

I agree IronDuke81.  This is way more fun so far than the last couple of years.  It appears as though Duquesne has legit talent and should be competitive all season unless devastated by injury.  I am enjoying being interested in the team and prefer not to look at the glass half-empty.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

11/24/2022 1:15 pm  #22

Good to see the Professor back on the Board!!  I am in agreement Professor!!!

11/24/2022 1:52 pm  #23

Regarding how to recruit talent, given the poor attendance - and why invest big bucks for the Coop:

First, it is becoming obvious that transfer and freshman talent has already been recruited very successfully this year.
Second, the facility itself is a big draw for talented players. My wife and I got to the Burgh for the first time since pre-Covid. It was the North Florida game. Walking up to the front door and seeing the incredible weight room was jaw-dropping.
It was worth the investment in my opinion. More success will build the fan base.

11/24/2022 1:57 pm  #24

It was Thanksgiving break;  students were away; some families are away.  Enjoy the team this year, the competitiveness, the story.  Go Dukes!

The attendance will pick up.

11/24/2022 3:05 pm  #25

Do the Pirates really stink?  Read on ESPN that the owner is very high on the young players. That they are expected to blossom this season, make a run for the pennant. Last season the Bucs took 5 out of six from the Dodgers.  That's something to build on.  I agree with the owner and expect an exciting season in 2023.

Board footera