Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/26/2022 8:32 am  #1

Is the Transfer Portal a benefit to Duquesne?

Let’s face it there is no doubt that Coach Dambrot & staff has upgraded the overall talent of this years team. Duquesne in the past had no chance of recruiting a 4 or 3 star. Even the top local kids went Big East or ACC. The Dukes had to take a chance on a kid. The majority of players had to develop over 3 years without any guarantees of being competitive. Yes Duquesne may lose a rising star to a power 5 school but I believe Dambrot can reload his roster with MAC and Power 5 players who are disgruntled with playing time. Yes , the Transfer Portal is equivalent to free agency but this years roster overhaul gives me hope for the Dukes future. Unfortunately, unless a HS kid is a 4 or 5 star,  experience & age vs. youth & development is the future for college basketball. Goodbye to the days of watching a kids development from freshman to senior. If the Dukes make the NCAA or NIT it’s all about the Transfer Portal & Dambrot & staff ability to access the players.

11/26/2022 9:31 am  #2

Re: Is the Transfer Portal a benefit to Duquesne?

I agree entirely with what you are saying.
See my Early Sign Period Post previously
Exactly why we did not sign anyone in early period
The dawn of the new Mid major success formula is upon us.
Adapt or be run over!
Go Dukes beat UCSB

11/26/2022 11:05 am  #3

The portal is useful as log as the coaches never mention the lack of support Duquesne gets from its students 
and alumni.
Duquesne is a special place and students and most alumni dont seem to take pride in their school.The players represent the school,they work hard doing their best and for their efforts,550 show up for games.
The success of the program is determined by the support of Duquesne fans.No top 100 player considers Duquesne.Why?Because few Duquesne alumni and students care.
Why is Villanova successful,because they care and are proud of their school?Duquesne could have done
all Villanova has done in basketball if games were better attended.

11/26/2022 11:08 am  #4

Its time to fire entire athletic dept for dereliction of duty.Very lazy folks who dont care about Duquesne.

11/26/2022 11:21 am  #5

There wont be Thanksgiving to use as a excuse,and we have been waiting since 1977 for a NCAA invite.
Duquesne is wonderful,but you got a lackadaisical fan base that cant understand fan support is not important 
piece of basketball success.Look at all schoools with athletic success like ohio state and what does this
school have,alumni ,students proud of their school.,who show up  and cheer for Buckeyes.
Duquesne is great but alums allowed this school to fail in basketball last 50 years because they just dont care.

11/26/2022 11:25 am  #6

It s not the coach who fails at Duquesne in basketball,its the frickin alumni and students who dont care and
the only thing  on most of their minds is why the Steelers suck.

11/26/2022 11:28 am  #7

Dave Harper and his cast of idiots dont care

11/26/2022 12:31 pm  #8

Wonder what a "top 100 player" would make of this post in deciding where to go.

11/26/2022 1:01 pm  #9

Mike R thank you, Stew, we all know how you feel and you are entitled to your opinion, but enough is enough.  Iron D you make an excellent point and I wholeheartedly agree.  I was actually going to start a thread on the transfer portal after watching the Maui Classic, Battle for Atlantis and the PK tournament the last several days.  Almost all of these top teams have a couple of transfers playing meaningful minutes - Iowa State has Osuni and Hodges (name) from SBU when they upset NC yesterday - and WVU has this guard who is on his fourth school, and many others have played at multiple places.  So can someone explain to me how the new transfer rule works?  Are the kids able to transfer as many times as they want and be immediately eligible?  Is there any more having to sit out a year if you transfer more than once?  Thanks guys.

11/26/2022 1:42 pm  #10

How many of you actually come to games? Because I want to host a meet up and hear what goes through the thought process of what gets posted here. I may throw some sasss because I’ve been slandered on this board. Actually, I just want to meet Stew because I think he’s certified crazy. But, hey, I’ll buy milanos and drinks. I have no problem meeting people face to face - I do it all the time. I just want everyone to support the Dukes and an NCAA appearance.

11/26/2022 1:53 pm  #11

PistolPete wrote:

Mike R thank you, Stew, we all know how you feel and you are entitled to your opinion, but enough is enough.  Iron D you make an excellent point and I wholeheartedly agree.  I was actually going to start a thread on the transfer portal after watching the Maui Classic, Battle for Atlantis and the PK tournament the last several days.  Almost all of these top teams have a couple of transfers playing meaningful minutes - Iowa State has Osuni and Hodges (name) from SBU when they upset NC yesterday - and WVU has this guard who is on his fourth school, and many others have played at multiple places.  So can someone explain to me how the new transfer rule works?  Are the kids able to transfer as many times as they want and be immediately eligible?  Is there any more having to sit out a year if you transfer more than once?  Thanks guys.

ANYONE remember the name Brandon Stone --  6'10 kid from the area --  He ORIGINALY signed with LaSalle -  Then Transferred to Robert Morris --  Now transfers to Delaware State -  3 schools in 3 years -- Probably has NO IDEA how many academic credits he has....Maybe at least he can write a travel guide some day OR his own college admissions guide.

11/26/2022 3:12 pm  #12

Ironduke81 good post. I think KD worked the portal perfectly this year. He brought in the key pieces with experienced older players while bringing in talent JUCO players and freshmen to build with. I think this should be the recipe going forward. By the way McGriff and Clark are terrific players. I can't remember the last  time DU brought in one really good  JUCO let alone two.

11/26/2022 6:23 pm  #13

Erik Kaminski wrote:

How many of you actually come to games? Because I want to host a meet up and hear what goes through the thought process of what gets posted here. I may throw some sasss because I’ve been slandered on this board. Actually, I just want to meet Stew because I think he’s certified crazy. But, hey, I’ll buy milanos and drinks. I have no problem meeting people face to face - I do it all the time. I just want everyone to support the Dukes and an NCAA appearance.

Erik no need to buy Stew drinks. Based upon his posts he may have had a few already🤪

11/26/2022 9:47 pm  #14

Ironduke81 wrote:

Erik Kaminski wrote:

Erik no need to buy Stew drinks. Based upon his posts he may have had a few already🤪

Too funny. Just saying.

11/26/2022 9:56 pm  #15

CLK wrote:

Ironduke81 good post. I think KD worked the portal perfectly this year. He brought in the key pieces with experienced older players while bringing in talent JUCO players and freshmen to build with. I think this should be the recipe going forward. By the way McGriff and Clark are terrific players. I can't remember the last time DU brought in one really good JUCO let alone two.

I think you are right. At first, the past couple of years, all you heard from KD  was "you can't stop these kids from going to the portal" "too easy to leave", but now, I think he and his staff are starting to use the portal to recruit seasoned players with a feel of what we need to have a deep team. I think this years team is deep. Just in the last two games I got a chance to see, I see a flow of interior players and perimeter players that come in and keep up the pace. After last year, I didn't think we would put anything on the court that could compete for one or two years, but right now I think, from the portal, they are playing good and deep.  This year could be a surprise.

11/27/2022 12:38 pm  #16

I agree and have said many times before that the future great college basketball coaches will be the ones that learn how to scout /recruit the portal most effectively.  KD was awful last year doing so and by all accounts excellent this year.  But I think the only way the Dukes compete for a championship is to catch lightning in a bottle.  IS the portal good for Duquesne?  probably not.  For every great transfer they get they will likely lose any decent talent they recruit.  I'm loving David Dixon right now but enjoy him while you can.  No one hates saying this more than me but if he continues to develop at this rate there is no way he sticks around next year.  The portal will swallow him up and spit him out to a Power 5 school like so many before him.  So catch lightning in a bottle and put together that magical season - hopefully this will be that season for the Dukes

11/27/2022 10:05 pm  #17

Erik Kaminski wrote:

I actually have 4 season seats and go to the games, I have often wondered who on this board is possibly in the small crowd around me.  Bought my tickets in 1993-1994 right after I graduated, don't see one soul from my Duquesne years ever attend a game which is sad.

11/28/2022 8:05 am  #18

I graduated in 1980 and when I do go to games I see at least 15 to 20 from my graduating class. I can’t make it all the time, as I still referee. As I told my wife, if ever the Dukes maintained a level of consistency, it would it that much easier to quit refereeing. This is the first year that I actually like what I see in a long time.

11/28/2022 8:39 am  #19

Unfortunately, I may see one or two folks from my class but, of course, I graduated in 1969. That's just a bit ago and some of those former students are not even with us these days or have difficulty getting around! I'm fortunate in that I am able to get to games quite easily. I still work a matter of blocks from the Coop in the Manor Building by the Liberty Bridge and walk to games. BTW this is the most talented team I've seen on the bluff in a long while. Cautiously optimistic! GO DUKES!!

Board footera