Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2022 8:49 am  #1

Game Thread - DePaul University Blue Demons

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 12/14/2022 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Duquesne Virtual Game Program:  https://indd.adobe.com/view/bf7aaac4-339e-467b-86d4-f4867a699cd3

Per KenPom (363 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #137 (7-3) vs DePaul Blue Demons #98 (6-4)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 1, 75-74 - Dukes with 52% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=1870

Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #96 vs DePaul #151
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 7, 77.18-69.82
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=633&tid2=4391&neut=0

Betting line: Dukes are 2 point favorites; Over/Under 147½
Duquesne 4-6 Against the Spread: DePaul 5-5 ATS

Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/news/2022/12/13/mens-basketball-preview-duquesne-vs-depaul.aspx
DePaul Game Notes: https://depaulbluedemons.com/news/2022/12/13/mens-basketball-depaul-sets-out-on-road-stretch.aspx

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/2023.html
DePaul:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/depaul/2023.html

Dukes KenPom Best Wins: Colgate (114); UCSB (119); Ball State (184); Montana (188)
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Kentucky (6); Marshall (93)
DePaul KenPom Best Wins: Loyola Chicago (122); Samford (136); Minnesota (166)
DePaul KenPom Worst Losses: Santa Clara (124); Texas A&M (58); St. John's (50)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 37.2%, 55 in D-1; Defense 37.4%, 309 in D-1
DePaul 3 Point:  Offense 36.3%, 85 in D-1; Defense 31.2%, 97 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 49.2%, 205 in D-1; Defense 48.1%, 126 in D-1
DePaul 2 Point:  Offense 49.6%, 188 in D-1; Defense 51.4%, 231 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 66.7%, 280 in D-1; Defense 69.2%, 132 in D-1
DePaul FT:  Offense 78.5%, 18 in D-1; Defense 69.0%, 128 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
DePaul Adj Offense Efficiency - 108.2; 63 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 104.9; 231 in D-1
DePaul Adj Defense Efficiency - 101.5; 154 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 107.5; 76 in D-1
DePaul Adj Tempo - 69.4; 122 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 66.7; 249 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
D-1 Experience - DePaul 2.83 yrs; 30 in D-1; Dukes 2.11 yrs; 137 in D-1
Average Height - DePaul 76.6"; 254 in D-1; Dukes 76.3"; 312 in D-1

12/14/2022 9:37 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - DePaul University Blue Demons

Big opportunity for the Dukes.  Let's Go Dukes!

12/14/2022 9:50 am  #3

At this point in time a 1 point win would be fantastic.  Hopefully they recover from the last 2 sub par games to say the least.  We have got to shoot better and get more from our inside guys.
Does anyone know the status of Brewer?  His being available will be key to this and any future games.
Go Dukes beat the Deamons

12/14/2022 10:25 am  #4

Not personal toward anyone, but here are some facts (nothing brilliant here, but nonetheless some folks don’t like facts.)
-Duquesne WAS picked last in their conference
-The out of conference games they won were Not against very good teams
-The two teams they lost to are better than us, but those earlier wins got folks overly confident
-The student attendance is poor….but has been for years because aside from one good year, Dambrot's teams were poor.  Students don’t want to go see a team lose.
-We are still in non-conference play and it is early in the season so we need to wait a month to judge
Opinion:  If Dambrot doesn’t have a winning season this year, the AD needs to decide if he should keep him.
Question:  In the MAC, Dambrot was excellent for recruiting and wins.  Is he out of his element in the Atlantic 10?
So far, my opinion is yes.  Why? just look at how many NIT or NCAA tournaments we have made...those are facts.

Go Dukes

12/14/2022 11:11 am  #5

Really hoping the trend we've seen of the team starting off strong with declining levels of performance reverses.  This team has the size, skill, and ceiling to be strong competitor in the A10 with the right guidance and leadership.  Fingers crossed they find their resolve and bounce back stronger.  

12/14/2022 11:24 am  #6

This team has many more wins in it. I am confident in this prediction. There is a lot to this roster.

My opinion on whether KD should stay or go is based on 2 factors.

I need to see at least 16 wins & 6 major contributors return for next season. Otherwise, DU needs to move on because KD will have failed to establish a winning program after 6 years. Last year was just that bad.

12/14/2022 12:44 pm  #7

I’ll be up front and admit I haven’t seen DePaul this season. I’d consider them the second best team we’ll play in the non-conference though, and probably all season long though. So I was pleasantly surprised to see both predictions pick the Dukes to win. They certainly won’t if they play the way they have the last two games though. If it is a close game the numbers certainly seem to favor DePaul. They are an experienced team from a major conference that is one of the best foul shooting teams in the country. We are a young team from the bottom of the A-10 who could build another new arena with the bricks we’ve put up from the line so far. So let’s run them out of the building and not let it be close. Go Dukes!

12/14/2022 1:34 pm  #8

I've seen DePaul play but trying to remember who. Might have been Fordham for one. Not sure now. I wasn't overly impressed with them even though in the top hundred. Of course, we have a way of making average teams look like world beaters with lots of open looks and our inability in the paint at both ends of the court. Here's hoping that tonight is the start of a turnaround for the Dukes. I missed what happened to Brewer. Hope he is back tonight. We need him! GO DUKES!!

12/14/2022 4:05 pm  #9

El Presidente wrote:

I've seen DePaul play but trying to remember who. Might have been Fordham for one. Not sure now. I wasn't overly impressed with them even though in the top hundred. Of course, we have a way of making average teams look like world beaters with lots of open looks and our inability in the paint at both ends of the court. Here's hoping that tonight is the start of a turnaround for the Dukes. I missed what happened to Brewer. Hope he is back tonight. We need him! GO DUKES!!

Brewer did not play second half of NMS. He sat on bench with ice pack on his shoulder. Hoping he’s ok and maybe only a bruise guess we will see once warmups start.

Last edited by Motor (12/14/2022 4:06 pm)

12/14/2022 4:45 pm  #10

Motor wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

Brewer did not play second half of NMS. He sat on bench with ice pack on his shoulder. Hoping he’s ok and maybe only a bruise guess we will see once warmups start.

Sitting in the stands behind the Dukes bench on Saturday, as Brewer came off the court after his injury my friend who was sitting next to me got a good look at him as the trainers began working on him.  She said it appeared that he had separated his shoulder and they were working on getting it back into place. I was busy BSing with Mysterio who was sitting to my left so I didn't see as much as she did, but the way they had his shoulder iced afterwards makes me think she's probably correct. I really hope it wasn't too bad so he can be back on the court tonight.

12/14/2022 6:42 pm  #11

No Brewer tonight; Kevin Easley is back in uniform.

12/14/2022 6:52 pm  #12

I was at the NMS game on Sunday but from my vantage point could not see the Dukes bench well. Actually moved a couple of times as seats were quite plentiful. Never realized why Brewer was out but assumed an injury of some sort. Hope he is back soon. He is an excellent athlete and a decent shooter as well from long range.

12/14/2022 7:52 pm  #13

Defense seems to have picked up pace.  They look quick vs those old men😀

Lets finish at the rim.
Barre looks interesting.   Mixing and matching bigs seems to be working.

12/14/2022 8:58 pm  #14

I like the win, but I just watched a half court team beat a half court team. These dukes could have run away with this. Down the road, KD isn't going to win against the Marshall's running style teams, though we could have. Still, I am both  happy and, at this point, surprised  for this win. The last two losses should have been wins, but this one gives me hope.

12/14/2022 9:05 pm  #15

Good win.  It's worth noting that a lot of the A10 have had terrible losses during the Nonconference as well, definitely worse losses than Marshall (who I could see being an NCAAT team).  I see this team winning around 20 games, and I honestly think ANYONE can win the A10 tournamane this year.  Hell, maybe even Fordham.  

The best takeaway from this game was that we lead for almost the entire game, and that we bounced back from two games where we couldn't make a bucket.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/14/2022 9:10 pm  #16

NapaDuke wrote:

I like the win, but I just watched a half court team beat a half court team. These dukes could have run away with this. Down the road, KD isn't going to win against the Marshall's running style teams, though we could have. Still, I am both  happy and, at this point, surprised  for this win. The last two losses should have been wins, but this one gives me hope.

My thoughts exactly.  What happened around the 11 minute mark.  Offense took a nap or something. 
At least it woke up in time.

12/14/2022 9:29 pm  #17

townsonkid wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

My thoughts exactly. What happened around the 11 minute mark. Offense took a nap or something.
At least it woke up in time.

It's what half court does, it invites your opponent back in the game. Still, nice win. I hope KD let's this team run without slowing the game down when they get ahead. .

Last edited by NapaDuke (12/14/2022 9:38 pm)

12/14/2022 9:43 pm  #18

The Dukes beat a top 100 team from a power conference and people are complaining. SMH.

12/14/2022 9:51 pm  #19

Where is Zachary Weiss last few games?

12/14/2022 10:03 pm  #20

Where is Andy Barba ?

12/14/2022 10:03 pm  #21

Barre: 6 points and 5 rebounds in 10 minutes against a team like DePaul. He has some  potential.

12/14/2022 10:19 pm  #22

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

The Dukes beat a top 100 team from a power conference and people are complaining. SMH.

I hear you.

As for me, I'm pleased as punch with this good win where we led all the way even with a less than spectacular shooting effort and some sloppiness in the second half.

I was really concerned when I saw Brewer is sweats before the game but Rozier and McGriff really came through.

12/14/2022 10:20 pm  #23

Bleeds Red & Blue wrote:

Barre: 6 points and 5 rebounds in 10 minutes against a team like DePaul. He has some potential.

He looked good.  He made some really nice contributions to the win.

12/14/2022 10:29 pm  #24

DePaul wasn't nearly as good as I expected, but a double digit home win over a Big East team is nothing to apologize for. The last time we beat a power conference team on campus at all was 20 years ago against West Virginia. I'm curious how practice has looked this week compared to the last two because it looked like a totally different team on the floor. Time management can be tough with holiday travel and finals too. Hopefully we see more of this team going forward and less of the one we saw the last two times out. 

Barre was a great addition to the lineup. He's very raw, but I love the youthful energy he brings. He looks like he could be a big piece for the Dukes down the road. He needs to work on his screening, but it's rare to see such a young player so willing to do it. Dae Dae looked like his usual self after two games where not only weren't the shots falling, but he didn't look healthy. Reece was more assertive than I've seen him previously and really took over for a few minutes in the second half. Trey didn't put up big numbers, but had a solid game as well.

All in all a good game and a good win for the Dukes. Now onto what has been a very inconsistent Indiana State team.

12/14/2022 10:40 pm  #25

Postgame press conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub0zjYJU0uM

Dae Dae and Joe start it off and Dambrot and Dru Joyce begin at 8:54

Board footera