Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2013 8:09 pm  #1

The City Game

Time to hear your thoughts, or memories.  The last time we beat Pitt was the Aaron Lovelace team whichever year it was (I am sure our DU historian Duq81 knows).  This is a rivalry game, and I am sure Coach Ferry will let the new guys know the history and has them fired up and ready to play.  It will be interesting to see if after 8 days of practice if the defense improves.  Let's Go Dukes!

Last edited by CLK (11/27/2013 8:11 pm)

11/27/2013 8:51 pm  #2

Re: The City Game

CLK wrote:

Time to hear your thoughts, or memories.  The last time we beat Pitt was the Aaron Lovelace team whichever year it was (I am sure our DU historian Duq81 knows).  This is a rivalry game, and I am sure Coach Ferry will let the new guys know the history and has them fired up and ready to play.  It will be interesting to see if after 8 days of practice if the defense improves.  Let's Go Dukes!

Maybe GA will get his first W against the Panthers what is his record 0-7 or 0-8? A win could get the Dukes much needed national attention.

11/27/2013 9:00 pm  #3

I'm hoping Pitt is full of themselves after beating Texas Tech and Stanford. They probably won't be too worried about us. Maybe we get some good bounces and some rolls and give them a game. Be close at the end and anything can happen.

11/27/2013 9:13 pm  #4

Last time we beat Pitt was the Wayne Smith team. This was the year that Pitt went on the late run, and made it to the BE Championship Game. Ricardo Greer was their star. This was the year before they emerged as a legit power, so I'm thinking Dec of 2000. I remember Hillgrove and Groat being very complimentary of Smith during their postgame show.

11/27/2013 9:31 pm  #5

11/28/2013 7:42 am  #6

My all-time favorite game will always be the NIT game at the Civic Arena in March 1980. Place was absolutely rocking. I had long-before acquired my hate (in the rivalry sense, please don't anyone think I'm some kind of headcase) for the Panthers because I thought Grgurich was a tool, Eddie Scheuremann was the worst-looking 7-footer I'd ever seen, and Sam Clancy was the perfect bad guy in the rivalry because he was so talented. 

11/28/2013 8:27 am  #7

ElDuque wrote:

My all-time favorite game will always be the NIT game at the Civic Arena in March 1980. Place was absolutely rocking. I had long-before acquired my hate (in the rivalry sense, please don't anyone think I'm some kind of headcase) for the Panthers because I thought Grgurich was a tool, Eddie Scheuremann was the worst-looking 7-footer I'd ever seen, and Sam Clancy was the perfect bad guy in the rivalry because he was so talented. 

Grg was absolutely a tool. Of course Mike Rice was as big a tool as Grg. That's part of what made it so much fun. I enjoyed that game as well. Unfortunately, Pitt more than got revenge a year later. I wonder if things would have worked out differently if we had won that game.

11/28/2013 8:38 am  #8

I actually saw that Eastern 8 championship game on TV at a local bar. For some reason, the channel that normally carried Knicks games (but never a college game) picked it up that year, maybe because they thought Rutgers would have a shot. I was making noise for the Dukes and no one else seemd to care that the TV was on. That loss was a bummer. We went back to the NIT and played Michigan and got whupped. 

11/28/2013 11:42 am  #9

We played a good first half at Michigan, but missed some free throws (sound familiar), and trailed by one at the half. They pretty much had their way with us in the second half.

11/28/2013 11:50 am  #10

Call me a troll if you want but even in the Everhart years I gave up even caring about this game.  Pitt is usually light years ahead of us. They toy with us in the first half and utterly destroy us by double digits every year.  It's not a rivalry if there is no competition.  Us winning a game once every 12 years does not even put us on their radar.

I trace it back to the one game under Ron, where we led the entire game and then blew it in the last 12 seconds, only to lose in overtime.  Since then, I have barely cared about watching it.

There, my great memory of the rivalry.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera