Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2022 6:15 pm  #1

Game Thread - Winthrop University Eagles

2:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 12/21/2022 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Duquesne Virtual Game Program:  https://indd.adobe.com/view/bf7aaac4-339e-467b-86d4-f4867a699cd3

Per KenPom (363 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #126 (9-3) vs Winthrop Eagles #226 (5-7; 3-7 vs D-1)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 9, 79-70 - Dukes with 79% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=2165

Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #94 vs Winthrop #265
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 14, 83.67-69.09
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=5497&tid2=4391&neut=0

Betting line: Dukes are 9 point favorites; Over/Under 149½
Duquesne 6-6 Against the Spread: Winthrop 4-6 ATS

Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/news/2022/12/20/mens-basketball-preview-duquesne-vs-winthrop.aspx
Winthrop Game Notes: https://winthropeagles.com/news/2022/12/20/mens-basketball-eagles-back-in-action-wednesday-afternoon-at-duquesne.aspx

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/2023.html
Winthrop:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/winthrop/2023.html

Dukes KenPom Best Wins: UCSB (106); Indiana St. (108); Colgate (111); DePaul (127); Ball State (164)
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Kentucky (8); Marshall (83); New Mexico St (105)
Winthrop KenPom Best Wins: Middle Tennessee (122); Eastern Michigan (297); South Carolina St (340)
Winthrop KenPom Worst Losses: Coastal Carolina (223); Mercer (168); Southern Miss (139)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 36.9%, 69 in D-1; Defense 37.3%, 314 in D-1
Winthrop 3 Point:  Offense 39.0%, 23 in D-1; Defense 34.7%, 220 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 49.5%, 198 in D-1; Defense 47.4%, 99 in D-1
Winthrop 2 Point:  Offense 53.6%, 63 in D-1; Defense 56.5%, 336 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 69.5%, 216 in D-1; Defense 71.1%, 189 in D-1
Winthrop FT:  Offense 76.5%, 32 in D-1; Defense 65.9%, 44 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Winthrop Adj Offense Efficiency - 104.6; 120 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 103.6; 206 in D-1
Winthrop Adj Defense Efficiency - 108.7; 310 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 107.5; 66 in D-1
Winthrop Adj Tempo - 68.8; 167 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.0; 253 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
D-1 Experience - Winthrop 2.13 yrs; 132 in D-1; Dukes 2.11 yrs; 136 in D-1
Average Height - Winthrop 76.6"; 262 in D-1; Dukes 76.3"; 316 in D-1

12/21/2022 11:31 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Winthrop University Eagles

To me, this has all of the makings of a trap game.  I watched Winthrop versus LSU; this is an athletic team with good outside shooters.  The Dukes better not be 1) treating this team lightly due to the odds and Winthrop's rankings, 2) celebrating going home for the holidays, and 3) looking forward to Dayton.  The coaching staff has to have them ready to play.

12/21/2022 12:29 pm  #3

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

To me, this has all of the makings of a trap game.  I watched Winthrop versus LSU; this is an athletic team with good outside shooters.  The Dukes better not be 1) treating this team lightly due to the odds and Winthrop's rankings, 2) celebrating going home for the holidays, and 3) looking forward to Dayton.  The coaching staff has to have them ready to play.

So agree with your analysis. Dukes have to play solid defense.

12/21/2022 12:38 pm  #4

12/21/2022 12:56 pm  #5

No PG could be hard to handle.  McGriff can do some, but need more from someone, Grant or Clark I guess, assuming Brewer is out. 

12/21/2022 1:55 pm  #6

Rozier sitting courtside with a boot & a limp

12/21/2022 1:58 pm  #7

Brewer is out too.

12/21/2022 2:38 pm  #8

phil95 wrote:

Rozier sitting courtside with a boot & a limp

If its one of those hard boots, you pretty much have to limp with that thing on.  I havent seen him yet on tv.

Good finish to the half.   Now open up the 2nd strong and lets put this one to bed.   

Not sure there was anything gained today, that game was messy.   But, heading into Christmas with a good feeling and a week off.

10-3 going to A10, nothing to complain about there.  NMSt was the only loss I think we could have won.
Business will pick up at Dayton.

Last edited by townsonkid (12/21/2022 3:56 pm)

12/21/2022 3:59 pm  #9

Nice win. Good Ball movement. Got the lead early and kept it.

12/21/2022 4:10 pm  #10

Great win for the short handed Dukes. Smothering defense in the first half. I think we are a better team with McGriff getting more minutes. Also great game by Clark and Grant.  Different heroes every game. 

What is going on with all the feet and ankle injuries at DU?  Time to
Issue high tops all around.

10-3 makes the spirit bright.  Go Dukes!

12/21/2022 5:54 pm  #11

Man, I am just tired of these slow starts! 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/21/2022 6:18 pm  #12

Quincy and Dae Dae: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8_xthxjC4Y
Coach D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtQhQsXjoiI

Zachary Weiss is back so we can hear the questions asked

12/21/2022 6:39 pm  #13

CLK, we need to return to Converse All Stars.

12/21/2022 7:17 pm  #14

Does that fellow make some My Sneakers?

12/21/2022 7:36 pm  #15

Kudos to Coach Dambrot & staff. Defense wins championships. Coach you got it going.👍Go Dukes

12/21/2022 9:04 pm  #16

Today's defensive effort was among the best that I've seen for some time. Keep it up and continue to run the offense like the last couple of games and we will be fine. And without either Brewer and Kareem to boot! Hope to see Gunn back on the court soon. I do believe Easley made the best possible decision for himself by entering the portal. Really like Reese's all around play and effort.

12/22/2022 9:11 am  #17

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Phoenix looks like they listened to your warnings!  
Was a fun game to watch.  Cant remember any game for any team in my memory bank that started 29-2
I love the growth of this team.  Getting better and more acclimated to playing together every day. Hopefully we can get all of the injured players back soon.  Of course then we have the who's playing time to deal with but I'd gladly trade that for no injuries. Now lets attack the A10 and go from there to the Post Season. (My Xmas wish list)
Go Dukes

12/22/2022 12:49 pm  #18

Motor wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Phoenix looks like they listened to your warnings!  
Was a fun game to watch.  Cant remember any game for any team in my memory bank that started 29-2
I love the growth of this team.  Getting better and more acclimated to playing together every day. Hopefully we can get all of the injured players back soon.  Of course then we have the who's playing time to deal with but I'd gladly trade that for no injuries. Now lets attack the A10 and go from there to the Post Season. (My Xmas wish list)
Go Dukes

Actually, Richmond had a similar start and led at the half 42-9 over Farleigh Dickinson about a week ago.

12/22/2022 7:17 pm  #19

Relaxing win yesterday; great start; and had a few more nice runs throughout the game to keep Winthrop at a safe distance.  I was really impressed with Quincy McGriff yesterday; played big minutes at the point; looked completely calm and in-control all day.  This guy is a huge asset for this team, with his ball-handling, scoring inside and outside, and of course his size is a big plus.  As he continues to mature; there is no limit on how good he can be.

Dae Dae Grant with a real gem again yesterday.  He played a well-rounded game with jaw-dropping shots, more ball-handling responsibility,  a slew of assists,  and timely defense. I like the fact that he and Jimmy Clark both want to be “complete players”; not just scorers, or defenders; but players who can beat you in many ways!  I have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming when I see some of the things these two guys can do on the court.  For those who haven’t seen Jimmy; he does some things on the court that will amaze you.  He finishes strong at the hoop; shoots the 3 better than I expected, and is jumping out of the gym and; I swear, he literally defied gravity on his follow-up jam yesterday!  Please enjoy this team as long as we can, folks.

Last edited by levon1975 (12/22/2022 7:26 pm)

12/22/2022 7:48 pm  #20

levon1975 wrote:

Relaxing win yesterday; great start; and had a few more nice runs throughout the game to keep Winthrop at a safe distance. I was really impressed with Quincy McGriff yesterday; played big minutes at the point; looked completely calm and in-control all day. This guy is a huge asset for this team, with his ball-handling, scoring inside and outside, and of course his size is a big plus. As he continues to mature; there is no limit on how good he can be.

Dae Dae Grant with a real gem again yesterday. He played a well-rounded game with jaw-dropping shots, more ball-handling responsibility, a slew of assists, and timely defense. I like the fact that he and Jimmy Clark both want to be “complete players”; not just scorers, or defenders; but players who can beat you in many ways! I have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming when I see some of the things these two guys can do on the court. For those who haven’t seen Jimmy; he does some things on the court that will amaze you. He finishes strong at the hoop; shoots the 3 better than I expected, and is jumping out of the gym and; I swear, he literally defied gravity on his follow-up jam yesterday! Please enjoy this team as long as we can, folks.

KD let them run. He is more confidant that his guards can push the action and score in transition. And they did. He trust his guard to take and push the action. Last year, no. This team is a perfect blend of superior in the paint defense and  superior offensive perimeter play.

12/22/2022 7:51 pm  #21

levon1975 wrote:

Relaxing win yesterday; great start; and had a few more nice runs throughout the game to keep Winthrop at a safe distance. I was really impressed with Quincy McGriff yesterday; played big minutes at the point; looked completely calm and in-control all day. This guy is a huge asset for this team, with his ball-handling, scoring inside and outside, and of course his size is a big plus. As he continues to mature; there is no limit on how good he can be.

Dae Dae Grant with a real gem again yesterday. He played a well-rounded game with jaw-dropping shots, more ball-handling responsibility, a slew of assists, and timely defense. I like the fact that he and Jimmy Clark both want to be “complete players”; not just scorers, or defenders; but players who can beat you in many ways! I have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming when I see some of the things these two guys can do on the court. For those who haven’t seen Jimmy; he does some things on the court that will amaze you. He finishes strong at the hoop; shoots the 3 better than I expected, and is jumping out of the gym and; I swear, he literally defied gravity on his follow-up jam yesterday! Please enjoy this team as long as we can, folks.

Exactly what I see in their play.  At there positions, they are the best.  I love watching these guys on the court.  

Board footera