Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2022 6:52 pm  #1

Duquesne Long Term Look

I’ve been a Duquesne fan for a long time.  I’ve seen some events ruin a number of coaching tenures but we have had two coaches who are Class A winners who have overcome adversity to recruit and produce winning teams.

Ron Everhart was the first and was fired and replaced by a guy who was half the coach he was.  Even solid programs have off years.  Ron overcame shootings and a total lack of support from a poor AD and department.

Keith’s best team never got a chance to prove itself in the A 10 Tourney and was then the transfer portal finished wrecking what Covid started.

But then Dambrot recruited a talented and deep team after a year that must have been incredibly difficult to attract talent.  He also brought in a good associate to fill in where he needed coaching depth.

Stick with this man.   He’s the best Duquesne can get and he knows how to rebuild without always rebuilding.

Last edited by coffee (12/21/2022 7:35 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

12/21/2022 6:55 pm  #2

Re: Duquesne Long Term Look

You sir win the post of the year award hands down!

12/22/2022 8:52 am  #3

In regard to Ron don’t forget to add Dr. Chuck who listened to the Quinipiac Clown.

12/22/2022 1:26 pm  #4

Ironduke81 wrote:

In regard to Ron don’t forget to add Dr. Chuck who listened to the Quinipiac Clown.

Amen to that Ironman!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/22/2022 7:37 pm  #5

coffee wrote:

I’ve been a Duquesne fan for a long time. I’ve seen some events ruin a number of coaching tenures but we have had two coaches who are Class A winners who have overcome adversity to recruit and produce winning teams.

Ron Everhart was the first and was fired and replaced by a guy who was half the coach he was. Even solid programs have off years. Ron overcame shootings and a total lack of support from a poor AD and department.

Keith’s best team never got a chance to prove itself in the A 10 Tourney and was then the transfer portal finished wrecking what Covid started.

But then Dambrot recruited a talented and deep team after a year that must have been incredibly difficult to attract talent. He also brought in a good associate to fill in where he needed coaching depth.

Stick with this man. He’s the best Duquesne can get and he knows how to rebuild without always rebuilding.

I want to directly respond to your very insightful observation. I knew Ron personally. He didn't have to come here.Actually,the  fact is,  he didn't want to come here a year earlier, but (profanity) happens,  but then he brought his fast pace high scoring style of BB.  KD with his stick in the mud half-court didn't sit well with me, but now, he both out-recruited after that s-show last year, and more important, he is letting these kids run to the competition. That's the key, and he seem to know to manages his very large advantage of lots of bigs. His Bigs are best on defense, and  his perimeter game and transition game is were this team can win in  this A-10 and beyond. Defense in the paint, and attack the perimeter.. The last two wins clearly showed that. Monster Ali-opps to monstrous dunks come from the superior perimeter game.   This just may be that special team. We have a very balanced team here. I'm looking at 75 percent wins in the A-10, maybe more if this team and coaches press hard. At least a 4th place or more in this years A-10. After 50 plus years of following  DU BB tells me we are strangely here in a special year.

12/22/2022 10:24 pm  #6

I hope you’re right Napa.   The A 10 looks a bit down this year so the Dukes could be top 4.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

12/23/2022 1:54 am  #7

coffee wrote:

I hope you’re right Napa. The A 10 looks a bit down this year so the Dukes could be top 4.

With St. Louis's loss to SIUE and Dayton having the non conference they did I just hope they keep building to the tournament. Having a top 4 seed would set us up best for that yes but the A10 will be a one bid league and we need to win the A10 tournament to fulfill the dream.  Unless Fordham has 1 loss in conference play and loses in the tournament... but that won't happen.

12/23/2022 9:56 am  #8

I honestly can't believe how bad the A10 is this year.  So many losses to rough teams.  We need strong teams like St Louis, Dayton, and Loyola to be consistently good so the A10 can remain a 3-4 bid league.  I think the league made some awesome hires last year (Namely Miller and Martin), so I am hopeful that the future is bright.  Just takes a couple years.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/23/2022 12:06 pm  #9

BluffHunter wrote:

coffee wrote:

I hope you’re right Napa. The A 10 looks a bit down this year so the Dukes could be top 4.

With St. Louis's loss to SIUE and Dayton having the non conference they did I just hope they keep building to the tournament. Having a top 4 seed would set us up best for that yes but the A10 will be a one bid league and we need to win the A10 tournament to fulfill the dream.  Unless Fordham has 1 loss in conference play and loses in the tournament... but that won't happen.

If the Dukes beat Dayton on the road, then anything is possible. Dayton is a tough place to play but school is out and maybe it won't be a full house that night. 

Board footera