Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2013 5:29 pm  #26

11/30/2013 6:07 pm  #27

Re: City Game!

This is probably Pitt's best team since the Blair-Young team that just missed the Final Four. We were the first team to even make them break a sweat. The next 7 games will tell us a lot. If we can come out of those at 8-4, I would be very satisfied.

11/30/2013 6:23 pm  #28

Here's a quote from a Pitt fan, on their Rivals board,

"Definitely a slog but this was Duquesne's Super Bowl and they have guys who can play. Ferry is building a decent program there, the Dukes won't be pushovers for very much longer."

11/30/2013 7:01 pm  #29

We can't hope to win too many games against anyone missing 17FTs and having a point guard averaging 2 APG. Grammy, I hear you that Mason, Watkins and Robinson would not have changed the outcome, but I think we clearly missed Mason tonight. Colter's starting to chuck 'em up again and taking Soko and McKoy out of the flow. May explain why Ovie feels compelled to go the length of the floor with the rock all the time. Adding to Tejas' optimism, I think Darius Lewis will eventually be an impact player.

11/30/2013 9:16 pm  #30

Bobby Mo & Penn State will tell the future. 

11/30/2013 9:37 pm  #31

If Colter hits 41.7% from three all year he can take 4- 5 a game like he has so far.

He's struggling as a distributor through five games, but it's worth noting he started slowly last year too.

Last edited by steve19981 (11/30/2013 9:44 pm)

12/01/2013 9:13 am  #32

We were not out coached. We were out talented.

12/01/2013 11:45 am  #33

pressurecooker you are exactly right.  On a related note I did not like Ferry's comment that we were three scholarship players short.  It is the truth but an excuse.  Coach don't say that and may teams have won being a number short.  Poor comment by Ferry.

12/01/2013 11:53 am  #34

Listen, Colter can have no excuses this year. Second year in Ferry's system, and if you abide by the notion that there is better talent around him, then you have to get on his rear end for not playing within that system -- especially when so many so-called experts (I'm referring to the major publications) called him the key to the season. I'd like to see a good win against someone when five Dukes score in double figures and Colter has six points and 10 assists. If he keeps chucking, he'll soon match the back of his baseball card (an idiom), and be averaging 15 ppg on 30% shooting and 21 shots a game. At that point, out season will be so far over I'll be begging for Spring Training to start.

Pressurecooker, you're mostly right. We're playing with nine scholarship players against an ACC team. I like the guys we have, I just wish there were more and they were healthier.

12/01/2013 1:59 pm  #35

In a sense we were out coached if you count recuriting as part of coaching. But we can't expect an A10 team to out recruit an ACC team in general and given Pitt's resources, for Duquesne to out recruit Pitt. In the long run Ferry should be judged by how well he does in the A10. He seems to know his Xs andOs, so bringing in players will be the key. But that's the key across the country with college basketball. Coaches live and die with the decisions of 18-21 year olds.

12/01/2013 2:59 pm  #36

Ah, pressurecooker, comparatively speaking, Ferry's working at a PV's and Jamie Dixon has a five star operation funded by Carlos Slim at his disposal. Unless Duquesne amps up the cash, facilities, etc., to the same level - an impossibility - we will always be at such a disadvantage.

12/01/2013 5:13 pm  #37

Realistically, we Duquesne fans cannot have expectations to win the national championship. However, my belief is that we have every right to expect performance that is equal to Xavier's or St. Louis and similar programs. To do so, the Administration has to provide the level of support that these and similar programs get. Of course, it would be unfair to the Administration to hold them totally responsible, if alumni support is not on par with these other schools.

12/02/2013 10:23 am  #38

I agree with your expectations for the program, and for many years it was neglected and not given the financial support by the Admin. to allow it to compete with such schools as Xavier and St Louis, but at this point I am not hearing that there is a lack of financial support.  It will however take time to build such a program.  Xavier and others didn't get to this point in a year or two.  I think we are are on the right path to success, but we are still growing as a team and a program. 

I can tell you that even though you won't read it in the Pittsburgh papers, there were a lot more positives than negatives in the City game for the Dukes. Remember that we played the game shorthanded without three players that would have provided significant depth, and quality against Pitt.  Nobody expected us to be a few more successfull free throws away from challenging Pitt deep into this game.  The team was shooting 71% from the line, before this game; so there is reason to believe that going forward, we will make those free throws and win some big games.  The added depth on the front line that will be provided by Watkins and Robinson will reduce the fatigue factor and allow Ovie and Dominique to play more agressively on defense; and the Mason factor from long distance will put more pressure on opposing defenses.  Dez Ridenour literally turned the game in Duquesne's favor with his penetration and defense in the first half.  We should be excited about what this freshman has to offer in the upcoming games. Keep in mind that this team is still jelling as a unit.  I was very encouraged by the defense Duquesne played for the first 30 minutes of this game.  It shows that we can defend against a quality opponent.  It will take some time; but good things are on the way.

Last edited by levon1975 (12/02/2013 5:12 pm)

12/02/2013 12:19 pm  #39

Very well said Levon!!!

12/02/2013 1:08 pm  #40

Levon, my post was not intended as a criticism of the Administration or the current state of the program. I was simply addressing comments made by pressurecooker and ElDuque, stating what I believe to be realistics expectations for the program. I don't think even Xavier or St. Louis or other top programs from the A10 can realistically expect to win a national championship in the current environment. I think however they can be expected from time to time to reach the Sweet 16, Elite 8 and on very rare occasions the Final 4. And I have been saying for the past 15 or 20 years, if Xavier can do it, there is no reason why Duquesne can't do it.

12/02/2013 5:14 pm  #41

Westender wrote:

Levon, my post was not intended as a criticism of the Administration or the current state of the program. I was simply addressing comments made by pressurecooker and ElDuque, stating what I believe to be realistics expectations for the program. I don't think even Xavier or St. Louis or other top programs from the A10 can realistically expect to win a national championship in the current environment. I think however they can be expected from time to time to reach the Sweet 16, Elite 8 and on very rare occasions the Final 4. And I have been saying for the past 15 or 20 years, if Xavier can do it, there is no reason why Duquesne can't do it.

Westy, not taken as such at all, I always enjoy your posts; I just added my two cents worth and got into some specifics; but I didn't find fault with your comments at all.

Board footera