Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2023 8:43 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - Virginia Commonwealth University Rams

JPG-DU81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I'd give you a run for disliking Pitt.    

Me too!

VCU 71 PITT 67   ACC very overrated this season.

1/05/2023 8:48 am  #27

As much as I enjoyed the game, the officiating just blew me away.  Usually it’s equally bad towards both sides but tonight was just plain one sided against the home team.  My son’s comment summed it up that we would have won by 20 had the game been called fairly.

One sequence had a VCU player literally tackle a Duquesne guard at mid court and then an imaginary call against the Dukes inside.  I think the refs just decided to call it all one way after the Duquesne fans began getting all over them.  There’s a difference between bad officiating and officiating with a message to be deliberately defensive against one team.

DISGUSTING but I’m proud of the team for not folding after the officiating let VCU back to under double digits.

Last edited by coffee (1/05/2023 8:52 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/05/2023 9:10 am  #28

coffee wrote:

As much as I enjoyed the game, the officiating just blew me away. Usually it’s equally bad towards both sides but tonight was just plain one sided against the home team. My son’s comment summed it up that we would have won by 20 had the game been called fairly.

One sequence had a VCU player literally tackle a Duquesne guard at mid court and then an imaginary call against the Dukes inside. I think the refs just decided to call it all one way after the Duquesne fans began getting all over them. There’s a difference between bad officiating and officiating with a message to be deliberately defensive against one team.

DISGUSTING but I’m proud of the team for not folding after the officiating let VCU back to under double digits.

It looked to me that the refs kept trying to slow the game down to give VCU time to get things together and break our momentum.  19 fouls called on the Dukes but 12 for VCU? 

1/05/2023 9:40 am  #29

A solid win last night; happy for Clark.  Dukes NET Ranking is now up to 118, 4th in the A10.
https://twitter.com/A10Talk/status/1611007471052537856

1/05/2023 10:27 am  #30

Clark had #3 in espn top 10 last night.   Thats 2 for him this season!

We got some good press from the local talking heads, but its onward to Richmond, a nightmare of a place for us in the past.   Obviously need to slow Burton somewhat, and play strong defense overall.   LETS GOOOO!!!!

Last edited by townsonkid (1/05/2023 12:05 pm)

1/05/2023 10:32 am  #31

NapaDuke wrote:

coffee wrote:

As much as I enjoyed the game, the officiating just blew me away. Usually it’s equally bad towards both sides but tonight was just plain one sided against the home team. My son’s comment summed it up that we would have won by 20 had the game been called fairly.

One sequence had a VCU player literally tackle a Duquesne guard at mid court and then an imaginary call against the Dukes inside. I think the refs just decided to call it all one way after the Duquesne fans began getting all over them. There’s a difference between bad officiating and officiating with a message to be deliberately defensive against one team.

It looked to me that the refs kept trying to slow the game down to give VCU time to get things together and break our momentum.  19 fouls called on the Dukes but 12 for VCU? 

I agree entirely about the officials. Early in the first half especially. It kinda energized our team and the fans as the whole building got louder and louder.  The first call when the VCU player was rebounding the ball juggling it and then tipped out of bounds with no-one within 5 feet of him from either team ignited the charge.

Over all an extremely enjoyable loud game.  Great to see a full student section.  We need some sort of gimmick/give away every game.
I was so proud of our guys and Tre was unbelievable again.  Revenge is so sweet against his former team.
Everyone contributed and I like especially how Gunn is progresssing.
Now lets go on the road and continue our momentum.
Thanks players coaches fans and students.
I know Dambrot has gotten a lot of criticism for his coaching but read the VCU board and the talk about wishing he was their coach and how he OUT Coached Rhoades..

Go Dukes1

Last edited by Motor (1/05/2023 10:35 am)

1/05/2023 2:21 pm  #32

Just an observation, but, even though the officials seem to be a bit one-sided on our team this year at home, these players are winning in spite of bad calls.  It's a very good sigh because, on the rode, they are going to see this every time, but they also don't seem to let it get to them. Good example is that technical on that VCU player was because it got to him that he was called for his 3rd foul, then he got another on the technical because it got to him. Then he had to sit until late in the game when he fouled out.  That's how not to react.  Go Dukes, let's beat Richmond this Sat. !!!

1/05/2023 3:01 pm  #33

As I've said before if you like basketball and especially Duquesne basketball please get to the Coop and see this team play!  Another amazing game for Jimmy Clark, who literally took the game over for a stretch in the second half when VCU was making their run.  They could not keep Jimmy out of the paint, and he punished them with multiple drives to the hoop for big scores along with a key steal and a three.  For all intents and purposes he tucked VCU in and put them to sleep with that run!  
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention a guy who  I thought was very impressive tonight; R.J Gunn.  Every play in basketball is about making split-second decision, and RJ made good decisions in this game.  His experience really showed on multiple plays and that doesn't even account for his long-range shooting ability and rebounding skill.  I pray that he stays healthy because he is a really good basketball player, who will be key performer going forward!  Great to have RJ on our side! 
I also need to give credit to Tevin Brewer, and Kareem Rozier for handling the tough defense and double-teams thrown at them by VCU.  They were in fact flawless in beating the pressure and getting the Dukes into their half-court offense.  As Coach said, the turnovers occurred not due to their full-court pressure, but mostly in half-court and sometimes just due to carelessness after the game was decided.  

Last edited by levon1975 (1/05/2023 3:05 pm)

1/05/2023 4:21 pm  #34

Pardon me for waxing nostalgic a bit.  RJ's shot is mindful of Roland Jones out of New Haven, Conn.  Roland was a lefty who averaged about 10.5 points over his career at Duquesne.  He was co-captain with Norm Nixon in the late 70's. He went to the same school as John Thomas and a few others in New Haven who played at Duquesne.  If memory serves me correctly, John Cinicola was tight with one of the New Haven coaches and they formed a bond that helped create a recruiting pipeline for Duquesne for a while.   And yes, RJ does bring back fond memories of a prior Duquesne standout.  Back to the present!!!!!!

1/05/2023 4:40 pm  #35

grammudder wrote:

Pardon me for waxing nostalgic a bit.  RJ's shot is mindful of Roland Jones out of New Haven, Conn.  Roland was a lefty who averaged about 10.5 points over his career at Duquesne.  He was co-captain with Norm Nixon in the late 70's. He went to the same school as John Thomas and a few others in New Haven who played at Duquesne.  If memory serves me correctly, John Cinicola was tight with one of the New Haven coaches and they formed a bond that helped create a recruiting pipeline for Duquesne for a while.   And yes, RJ does bring back fond memories of a prior Duquesne standout.  Back to the present!!!!!!

Roland Jones and JT were from Wilbur Cross High School in New Haven CT

1/05/2023 7:04 pm  #36

NapaDuke wrote:

Just an observation, but, even though the officials seem to be a bit one-sided on our team this year at home, these players are winning in spite of bad calls.  It's a very good sigh because, on the rode, they are going to see this every time, but they also don't seem to let it get to them. Good example is that technical on that VCU player was because it got to him that he was called for his 3rd foul, then he got another on the technical because it got to him. Then he had to sit until late in the game when he fouled out.  That's how not to react.  Go Dukes, let's beat Richmond this Sat. !!!

I believe they blew part of that Technical they called against VCU as well.  Here’s the situation…
1. VCU gets called for a foul-  ok, thats 2 shots. 
2. Then they get called for the T which is another two shots with nobody on the line to rebound and the ball goes to the Dukes, right?

What the refs did was have them shoot the T first and then the PF AND SINCE WE MADE THE 2nd free throw the ball wen’t to VCU to inbound.

We never got the full entitlement of getting the ball after the T as we should have.   Shouldn’t the PF had gone 1st and then the T with us getting the ball?

VCU was given possession and the Dukes not awarded pssession after a T.  Result of the T and PF?  2 points and possession to VCU.

Last edited by coffee (1/05/2023 7:21 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

1/05/2023 8:11 pm  #37

I think they've changed how they do t"s. I'm pretty sure when a T is called they shoot the T and then the ball goes back to whoever had it when T was called.

1/06/2023 8:26 am  #38

1/06/2023 9:33 am  #39

coffee wrote:

I agree.  It really seemed like they were letting a lot of contact happen against the Dukes but not the other way around.  On a few occasions it was just so blatantly obvious (Rozier at mid court - that is a foul every single time it happens and it happened right in front of the ref.)  That said, I watched the replay when I got home from the game and the goaltending call on Rozier's shot clearly went our way.  Watching live it looked like goaltending and a foul.  but on the replay it was a clean block - so we got that one anyway.  That could have been a momentum shifter for sure.

1/06/2023 9:35 am  #40

PG Article
New-look Duquesne enjoying bounce back, but Dukes know they 'still have a lot to prove' | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I have not noticed Devin Carney on the bench the last couple of games on the video feeds.  Did anyone else notice, or did I just miss him?

1/06/2023 10:02 am  #41

Thanks. Motor. Interesting article; the Dukes are making an impression across the conference. Next 3 (road) games will lay the groundwork for a top 4 finish; winning 2 of these would keep the bandwagon rolling.

1/06/2023 10:37 am  #42

CLK wrote:

PG Article
New-look Duquesne enjoying bounce back, but Dukes know they 'still have a lot to prove' | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I have not noticed Devin Carney on the bench the last couple of games on the video feeds.  Did anyone else notice, or did I just miss him?

Thanks CLK for the article
I did see Devin out there on Wednesday

Last edited by Motor (1/06/2023 10:38 am)

1/06/2023 10:37 am  #43

Richmond and St Bona are 2 hellscapes for the Dukes.   If the get 2/3 I think we should be overjoyed.   Would also mean we have 2 more home games remaining compared to road games, a 4-2 record in A10 play 1/3 a way thru the season, and have played the best team already.   And, for the next 3 games, no Ellis Cannon!!!!

Last edited by townsonkid (1/06/2023 10:38 am)

1/06/2023 10:50 am  #44

CLK wrote:

PG Article

The team wins 6 games & the only issues are experience, injuries, & shooting? None of that was due to basic coaching decisions & building culture/chemistry? The solution to not having big man depth was nailing the now ACC playing Hima to the bench for the better part of 25 games? Disgusting.

I am very happy with this year's team. A major cultural shift seems to have occurred. I just can't stand a well compensated leader that can't hold himself publicly accountable for his role in why such a significant course correction was necessary after 5 years of leading an organization.

1/06/2023 10:54 am  #45

Styles1229 wrote:

coffee wrote:

I agree.  It really seemed like they were letting a lot of contact happen against the Dukes but not the other way around.  On a few occasions it was just so blatantly obvious (Rozier at mid court - that is a foul every single time it happens and it happened right in front of the ref.)  That said, I watched the replay when I got home from the game and the goaltending call on Rozier's shot clearly went our way.  Watching live it looked like goaltending and a foul.  but on the replay it was a clean block - so we got that one anyway.  That could have been a momentum shifter for sure.

Styles, I thought the same thing at first glance. However, the reason it was a goaltend was because the ball was above the cylinder. Correct call

1/06/2023 11:01 am  #46

phil95 wrote:

CLK wrote:

PG Article

The team wins 6 games & the only issues are experience, injuries, & shooting? None of that was due to basic coaching decisions & building culture/chemistry? The solution to not having big man depth was nailing the now ACC playing Hima to the bench for the better part of 25 games? Disgusting.

I am very happy with this year's team. A major cultural shift seems to have occurred. I just can't stand a well compensated leader that can't hold himself publicly accountable for his role in why such a significant course correction was necessary after 5 years of leading an organization.

Phil,

Life is too short to be this sour. There is a big difference between standing in the middle of Syracuse’s 2-3 zone and playing Dambrot’s man-to-man defense. It isn’t rocket science, any objective viewer could see that Hima had a very high ceiling but showed many more flashes of being lost out there. I’m not sure we had time for a project, and if we didn’t bring in this group of guys maybe I would agree with you. But the addition of Reece, Dixon, and Barre more than make up for that loss, and  i am LOVING this team!

1/06/2023 11:03 am  #47

CityDuke wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

coffee wrote:

Styles, I thought the same thing at first glance. However, the reason it was a goaltend was because the ball was above the cylinder. Correct call

Hmmmm.  Didnt know that was the rule.  Figured it only had to be on the way down which it clearly wasn't.  thanks for the clarification

1/06/2023 11:16 am  #48

CityDuke wrote:

phil95 wrote:

CLK wrote:

PG Article

Phil,

Life is too short to be this sour. There is a big difference between standing in the middle of Syracuse’s 2-3 zone and playing Dambrot’s man-to-man defense. It isn’t rocket science, any objective viewer could see that Hima had a very high ceiling but showed many more flashes of being lost out there. I’m not sure we had time for a project, and if we didn’t bring in this group of guys maybe I would agree with you. But the addition of Reece, Dixon, and Barre more than make up for that loss, and i am LOVING this team!

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for not playing Hima last year!  The team was on a losing streak of epic proportions.  The only reason Hima was lost out there was because he got no PT.  I'm not saying he was the answer but when you are playing an undersized DII talent grad assistant nightly in the paint while you have a 7 foot  ACC talent type player on your bench during a conference schedule long losing streak you need to explain yourself or take responsibility for a bad coaching move.  I love this team today and KD deserves the credit but that doesn't absolve him for last year.  

KD was "off" last year in a lot of ways.  That's OK - it happens,  It's especially OK since he was able to turn it around so quickly but he never seems to say take responsibility.  There is nothing wrong for calling him out for that.

1/06/2023 11:24 am  #49

5th year SLU player Fred Thatch announced that he tore his ACL in his game Wednesday. A shame for somebody who has been in the league a long time. SLU is beginning to find themselves in a nightmare after tournament expectations.

1/06/2023 11:47 am  #50

Styles1229 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Phil,

Life is too short to be this sour. There is a big difference between standing in the middle of Syracuse’s 2-3 zone and playing Dambrot’s man-to-man defense. It isn’t rocket science, any objective viewer could see that Hima had a very high ceiling but showed many more flashes of being lost out there. I’m not sure we had time for a project, and if we didn’t bring in this group of guys maybe I would agree with you. But the addition of Reece, Dixon, and Barre more than make up for that loss, and i am LOVING this team!

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for not playing Hima last year!  The team was on a losing streak of epic proportions.  The only reason Hima was lost out there was because he got no PT.  I'm not saying he was the answer but when you are playing an undersized DII talent grad assistant nightly in the paint while you have a 7 foot  ACC talent type player on your bench during a conference schedule long losing streak you need to explain yourself or take responsibility for a bad coaching move.  I love this team today and KD deserves the credit but that doesn't absolve him for last year.  

KD was "off" last year in a lot of ways.  That's OK - it happens,  It's especially OK since he was able to turn it around so quickly but he never seems to say take responsibility.  There is nothing wrong for calling him out for that.

I just don't understand the negativity and need to continually beat a dead horse.  Phil, I love your passion and respect your opinions but at times I think some of your posts are a PSYOP plants for the Bonnies. Just kidding. 

Board footera