Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2023 9:45 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - University of Richmond Spiders

-This one really sucks. However, there were also an abundance of evidence demonstrating that this team is truly good & going places. As usual the effort, togetherness, & grit were on full display. I really hate this outcome but I sure like the roster.
-The foul discrepancy was/is complete crap. That is a true & actual issue to Complain about. I believe it to be a rarity that officiating has a profound  effect on a game's outcome. I think tonight qualifies as one of those games. One team taking 30 FTs while the other takes 9FTs is an unbalanced job of officiating. In a 2 point game, that is a major issue.
-My biggest let down was the prevalence of unintelligent plays by Jimmy, Dae Dae, Reece, & Gunn in the half court defense. Those players have been pretty damn good this season with controlling their emotions & working through the tough patches as players this experienced & old should. Tonight, their  collective lack of basketball IQ was exposed by a well coached team with a star & systematic discipline. Jimmy's many mental miscues are especially hard to take as he is certainly familiar with what Richmond wants to do.
-This was not KD's finest hour. I'll leave others to unpack that bag if they wish.
-Man, Dixon & Hronsky have bright futures! 
-Does anybody have any intel on Tre Williams prognosis or why Q was a DNP tonight?

1/07/2023 9:51 pm  #52

Chris Mooney, Burton, and Roche postgame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EynLY08UbTw

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/07/2023 10:04 pm)

1/07/2023 10:02 pm  #53

Think i read Williams took a bump to the head in practice.  Looked like he had a bandage above his left eye

1/07/2023 10:04 pm  #54

townsonkid wrote:

Think i read Williams took a bump to the head in practice. Looked like he had a bandage above his left eye

They mentioned on the broadcast he took an errant elbow to the head in practice yesterday.

1/07/2023 10:17 pm  #55

My lowly opinion....

-No one whines more than Mooney - I probably dislike him more than any other coach in the A10
-The guy who fell should have been called for traveling
-The refs did Not lose this game, Duquesne did
-I guess it's hard to know what to do when you are up over 20 points
-Dambrot did not do a poor job of coaching and he did not do a very good job of coaching
-The season is still young, and this feeling the Dukes now have is good for them.  I don't think they will ever be up by this much again and lose

Go Dukes

1/07/2023 10:32 pm  #56

phil95 wrote:

-Does anybody have any intel on Tre Williams prognosis or why Q was a DNP tonight?

I also wonder why Quincy did not see any time after playing well recently after a slump near the end of noncon. Great to see Hronsky and Dixon step up though when they got in after not seeing much time recently.

1/07/2023 10:38 pm  #57

A Richmond highlight video-nice if you want to watch all of our defensive breakdowns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4ldFB8IqK4&t=5s

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/07/2023 10:38 pm)

1/07/2023 10:38 pm  #58

The officials handed the game to Richmond, as they seemed wont to do with VCU on our home court. It seems like there is a stigma to being Duquesne because of too many years of being in the lower ranks of the conference. Hard to otherwise explain the bizarre calls and non-calls during this game.

1/07/2023 10:41 pm  #59

BluffHunter wrote:

A Richmond highlight video-nice if you want to watch all of our defensive breakdowns:

Defensive breakdowns notwithstanding, this game was controlled by the officials. The Dukes never get as many easy buckets as they give up. Ever. This still would have been an easy W without the officiating "errors".

Last edited by applecorps (1/07/2023 10:44 pm)

1/07/2023 10:48 pm  #60

1/07/2023 10:50 pm  #61

applecorps wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Defensive breakdowns notwithstanding, this game was controlled by the officials. The Dukes never get as many easy buckets as they give up. Ever. This still would have been an easy W without the officiating "errors".

That is also the truth. At one point we had taken just 4 could shots compared to Richmond's 26.
https://twitter.com/A10Talk/status/1611890437819596800
It ended up being a 30-9 free throw advantage for them.

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/07/2023 10:50 pm)

1/07/2023 11:19 pm  #62

BluffHunter wrote:

Chris Mooney, Burton, and Roche postgame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EynLY08UbTw

Looking at frame  2:27, 2:28, 2:29 and 2:30 mark see Reese coming in on the layup he made, and Roche sliding over.  Reese's foot is already past Roche when Roche's shoulder blocks Reese. He had to be moving in. Believe the ball had been released.  Ref's call questionable.

That turned out to be a 3 point swing and loss of possession.

Last edited by gjgsr (1/07/2023 11:20 pm)

1/07/2023 11:36 pm  #63

A10 Standings after tonight. Duquesne tied for eighth right now but we have gotten a few of our toughest games out of the way early.

https://twitter.com/n1a2v3y4/status/1611895575556792320

1/07/2023 11:48 pm  #64

Saw highlight on local news, that TO at the end, wow.  Not sure but looked like Mooney asked for it well after we inbounded the ball, a second or two went by then the whistle.  KD was upset, so was the bench.   😡

1/08/2023 2:22 am  #65

That was Richmond's largest comeback in 25 years.

1/08/2023 2:52 am  #66

Makes you wonder if Jimmy Clark doesn't foul with 0.2 left in first half?!  Stupid foul.

1/08/2023 2:57 am  #67

lilpav30 wrote:

Makes you wonder if Jimmy Clark doesn't foul with 0.2 left in first half?! Stupid foul.

It's even more ridiculous when we are without Williams that Reece fouls out with over 13 minutes left. That foul on Burton at the end of the half was stupid though.

1/08/2023 8:18 am  #68

phil95 wrote:

-This one really sucks. However, there were also an abundance of evidence demonstrating that this team is truly good & going places. As usual the effort, togetherness, & grit were on full display. I really hate this outcome but I sure like the roster.
-The foul discrepancy was/is complete crap. That is a true & actual issue to Complain about. I believe it to be a rarity that officiating has a profound  effect on a game's outcome. I think tonight qualifies as one of those games. One team taking 30 FTs while the other takes 9FTs is an unbalanced job of officiating. In a 2 point game, that is a major issue.
-My biggest let down was the prevalence of unintelligent plays by Jimmy, Dae Dae, Reece, & Gunn in the half court defense. Those players have been pretty damn good this season with controlling their emotions & working through the tough patches as players this experienced & old should. Tonight, their  collective lack of basketball IQ was exposed by a well coached team with a star & systematic discipline. Jimmy's many mental miscues are especially hard to take as he is certainly familiar with what Richmond wants to do.
-This was not KD's finest hour. I'll leave others to unpack that bag if they wish.
-Man, Dixon & Hronsky have bright futures! 

Completely agree with this analysis Phil. Spot on. Grit is the perfect word, and this team has it in abundance.   There were far too many defensive breakdowns from individual mistakes in the first half. Far too many backcuts leading to open layups and dunks. That, in addition to all the free throws, was the only reason why Richmond was even in striking distance to end the half.  That Princeton offense does present its challenges, but I was happy to see that our guys learned from the first half mistakes and gave up way less backcuts/easy baskets in second.

I would have liked to see two things done differently from Dambrot last night. I’m not sure if it would have made a difference, but you could sense the lopsided whistle early in this game. He needs to earn, and I mean EARN, a technical early to try to nip that in the bud. Maybe it won’t be of any use, but I do know that bullies don’t like to bully people who fight back. Maybe it’s time to start fighting back. The other thing is really about Reece fouling out so early into the second half.  Obviously, when the scorer’s table and the computer system are presenting two different numbers in terms of foul count, as they mentioned on the broadcast, it makes it difficult. But a member of our staff should be tracking that statistic, we clearly can’t rely on anyone outside of our team for anything at this point. And again, maybe we already do track this ourselves as I did see one of our staff member at the scorer’s table with Dambrot disputing this. But losing Reece that early hurt.

Lastly, I also noticed that McGriff was unused. Not sure if he was healthy or not, as I remember seeing something about his knee bothering him in one of the post game conferences. Regardless, I was very happy to see Hronsky get another look out there, and even happier to see Hronsky contribute the way he did. If this team is going to be great, they need to get positive contributions from Hronsky/McGriff to give Grant and Clark the rest they need. Hopefully, Hronsky’s performance last night pushes both of them forward!

The sky is not falling, but I would be lying if I said that was not absolutely heartbreaking last night. This team’s true test of grit will be how they respond on Wednesday. I believe!

1/08/2023 9:52 am  #69

lilpav30 wrote:

Makes you wonder if Jimmy Clark doesn't foul with 0.2 left in first half?! Stupid foul.

Stupid foul indeed. But it was with .7 seconds, and the Richmond player supposedly caught the inbound pass, gripped and drew the ball back, then launched the shot in .5 seconds.

Impossible: the only thing resembling a shot that can be done in .7 seconds is a bounce off the hands or a tip-in.

Last edited by applecorps (1/08/2023 11:47 am)

1/08/2023 10:10 am  #70

Random thought on last night's game:

1. Grant didn't take Richmond, Richmond took Grant out of the game.  We cannot win if Grant is going to play 34 minutes and only score 3 points.  Grant is a very different player on the road.    

2. Was it the officiating or did Richmond just out tough us in the second half? The A10 officiating in general ruin the game by calling so many fouls on minimal or incidental contact.  So different from watching other league officiating.  It favors the team that drives the ball, that is not a secret.  So the coaches need to factor that into their game plan.

3. There are certain combinations of freshman that never should be on the court together.  Dambrot needs to figure that out.  Bad chemistry.

4.  Dixon should be our backup center, and never be a DNP again as long as he is healthy.

5.  If Rozier is ever going to be an effective A10 PG he has to have the confidence to take and make wide open three-point shots.   

6. That last shot by Richmond never should have happened.  It sure looked like Burton traveled to me, even after watching it 10 times. 

1/08/2023 10:30 am  #71

Now that I have calmed down, I can say that one of the problems with the last two games was poor clock management and decisions in the last few  minutes of each half. 

Against VCU they rushed, took bad shots and two turnovers that led VCU to cut the lead to 15 rather than the Dukes leading by 18-20. To me that put the wind right back into VCU's sails.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (1/08/2023 10:30 am)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/08/2023 10:56 am  #72

CLK wrote:

1. Grant didn't take Richmond, Richmond took Grant out of the game.  We cannot win if Grant is going to play 34 minutes and only score 3 points.  Grant is a very different player on the road.    

2. Was it the officiating or did Richmond just out tough us in the second half? The A10 officiating in general ruin the game by calling so many fouls on minimal or incidental contact.  So different from watching other league officiating.  It favors the team that drives the ball, that is not a secret.  So the coaches need to factor that into their game plan.

3. There are certain combinations of freshman that never should be on the court together.  Dambrot needs to figure that out.  Bad chemistry.

4.  Dixon should be our backup center, and never be a DNP again as long as he is healthy.

5.  If Rozier is ever going to be an effective A10 PG he has to have the confidence to take and make wide open three-point shots.   

6. That last shot by Richmond never should have happened.  It sure looked like Burton traveled to me, even after watching it 10 times. 

What do you think of starting Dixon instead of Reece? Because he is a freshman he is going to have uneven performances when he only deserves 12-15 minutes & Reece can play the bulk of the minutes. Reece isn't coming back & can't transfer. Maybe this keeps Dixon from being Poached in the off-season?

1/08/2023 11:05 am  #73

CLK wrote:

Great comments, but the chemistry is not only with the freshmen as other combinations are not in sync.  Dixon does need to be the backup center.

1/08/2023 11:47 am  #74

This game won't mean much if these Duke win one of two on the road this next week. But, the coaches should take a look at the first half, then look the second half and figure out how we out ran Richmond in the first 20 minutes, then the wheels fell off in the second half.  Still, we out played Richmond for most of the game in-spite of bad calls and on the road. It's a long season and this team has talent.

1/08/2023 12:46 pm  #75

Ironduke81 wrote:

Sorry City Duke Dambrot blew it big time. He is not a Chess player. Attack the baske second half with big lead. . Mooney owns him just like Schmidt. Unacceptable!

Agreed, Reece and Gunn 20 shots, but 12 were 3 pointers, and Reece (27% career) shouldn't ever take one, let alone 4 of his 8 shots. Rotroff 0 shots.  I'm surprised they didn’t try to go Reece inside a little where he's strong, especially when they had all cooled off.  They missed Tre.  Nice game from Dixon, dreaming of 4 years from him and Barre.

Board footera