Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2023 9:23 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure University Bonnies (A)

While love the players Dambrot recruits – he’s got a lot of depth –  he’s getting out-coached against good coaches like Mark Schmidt:

• Yes Mark did his scouting homework – and by effectively defending Dukes 3 pt shooters 1st,  then the Dukes not making their ‘in the paint’ and close up shots, lost their confidence all the way around in the 1st half.  Think we’ve talked about this before.
  • Then by badly defending the 3s’ by the Bonnies—cause they sunk theirs’ in the first period,  Dukes got into a 20 pt deficit hole.
  • All the while the foul shooting is atrocious something like 8 for 18 or worse.  Maybe Dambrot doesn’t emphasize it enough.  Right there - are the 10 points needed.
  • Then why did’t the Dukes start the press earlier instead of waiting until 7 minutes left in the game?  I realize it takes a lot of energy to do both, but if you’re going to win you have to make it uncomfortable for the opposing team.  Looks like Dayton and St. Bona are both susceptable to the press
  • Not sure McGriff is ready to be in there a lot.  He stood around on the rebounds, lacked aggressiveness.  Then he took the Dukes out of their offense with that string of long misses

It is true the Dukes are becoming foreseeable to the good coaches.  And then they rattle them early by guarding the 3.  He better figure out how to less predictable.

1/18/2023 9:32 pm  #52

Bleeds Red & Blue wrote:

Everytime we lose, it's KD's fault and everytime we win it's despite KD's coaching. Time for all of the whiners to crow. Fact is, our shooting was off in a tough place to play. Everything is not KD's fault so after our next win please crawl back into the shadows and wimper about KD.

SCHMIDT 11 wins Dambrot 1 that would be called checkmate. I will not blame the kids. Season not over. Next time Dukes play the Bonnie’s dictate the game based upon the Dukes depth & talent. Dambrot & staff has recruited a very talented team. Go Dukes

1/18/2023 9:35 pm  #53

WashPaRick wrote:

8 for 18 from the stripe. No offense from Grant or Brewer. I'd press Bonnies for 40 minutes next game.

Time for a gut check for the players and coaches. They need to decide is they are going to be contenders or just pretenders? Certain guys can't disappear on defense, and choak shooting like eating two Popeye biscuits fast with no drink if they want to ne contenders. Also nothing was done by our brain trust to shorten the 17-0 run. I think Dambrot thinks he gets cash back for unused time outs. That was just hard to watch.

Last edited by CLK (1/18/2023 9:36 pm)

1/18/2023 9:35 pm  #54

phil95 wrote:

Was Hronsky available tonight?

It was mentioned on pregame that Hronsky was out today. I think it was due to illness.

1/18/2023 9:42 pm  #55

gjgsr wrote:

While love the players Dambrot recruits – he’s got a lot of depth –  he’s getting out-coached against good coaches like Mark Schmidt:

• Yes Mark did his scouting homework – and by effectively defending Dukes 3 pt shooters 1st,  then the Dukes not making their ‘in the paint’ and close up shots, lost their confidence all the way around in the 1st half.  Think we’ve talked about this before.
  • Then by badly defending the 3s’ by the Bonnies—cause they sunk theirs’ in the first period,  Dukes got into a 20 pt deficit hole.
  • All the while the foul shooting is atrocious something like 8 for 18 or worse.  Maybe Dambrot doesn’t emphasize it enough.  Right there - are the 10 points needed.
  • Then why did’t the Dukes start the press earlier instead of waiting until 7 minutes left in the game?  I realize it takes a lot of energy to do both, but if you’re going to win you have to make it uncomfortable for the opposing team.  Looks like Dayton and St. Bona are both susceptable to the press
  • Not sure McGriff is ready to be in there a lot.  He stood around on the rebounds, lacked aggressiveness.  Then he took the Dukes out of their offense with that string of long misses

It is true the Dukes are becoming foreseeable to the good coaches.  And then they rattle them early by guarding the 3.  He better figure out how to less predictable.

Good point but the 3's were us 6, and St. B.8?  Not the diff. in the game. FT only 5 pointd different, still not the reason we lost. Pushing the transitions to the hoop that we normally do? We did none. Bonnies did about 6 times? Not really their game, but our bread and butter. Why we didn't run it up the court from the start to the finish? No good reason. Most times we usually  push it up the court, it creates slam dunks, or wide open 3's since the defense is collapsing on the ball handler going to the hoop leaving open players on the perimeter. None of that today from the Dukes? In fact that's how St.B. had open 3's. This game plan today  was from the coaching staff to stop that transition game  to set up and feed to Tre. Didn't work today, didn't work last year.  Their defense stopped our half-court game. Any team can do that. It's not that good.

1/18/2023 9:42 pm  #56

townsonkid wrote:

Williams looked quicker. Barre looked great for his 2-3 minutes. Why the coach let blue shoes bully Reece around when Barre can ACTUALLY DEFEND is strange. IDC about the age difference. PLAY THE BETTER PLAYER! 😡

I think the coach can try to win now AND set up next year. Rozier, Barre, Dixon play more than Brewer, Reece and Rotroff. I’m sure there is an excuse valid from 1955 that says he cant tho.

Agree 100 percent. Play the guys who can defend especially in a place like Olean. Reese and Grant should be coming off the bench for instant offense, and maybe Brewer as well. Rozier seems to be the most composed player on the court right now. I'd start Kareem, Clark, Williams, Barre, and Gunn. Haven't seen that combination yet, but sounds good to me. Reese, Grant, Brewer, Dixon, and Rotroff off the bench. McGriff and Hronsky spelling here and there, more the latter than the former. Don't think the coach has a clue to the right combinations, but tonight's combos were brutal. Grant is offense and offense only. A guy you put in there to stretch a lead or get you back in a game. Not a starter. Barre, Hronsky and Dixon if used correctly could be paying big dividends by now. I'm not getting paid a million dollars a year to coach a team up, but why in the heck don't you press early and often with a team that is 12 players deep and is built for a full court press? Frustrated man. This is getting old. 

1/18/2023 9:49 pm  #57

Bleeds Red & Blue wrote:

Everytime we lose, it's KD's fault and everytime we win it's despite KD's coaching. Time for all of the whiners to crow. Fact is, our shooting was off in a tough place to play. Everything is not KD's fault so after our next win please crawl back into the shadows and wimper about KD.

Amen. Say it louder for the people in the back!

1/18/2023 9:50 pm  #58

Rayrich wrote:

CLK wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

8 for 18 from the stripe. No offense from Grant or Brewer. I'd press Bonnies for 40 minutes next game.

Time for a gut check for the players and coaches. They need to decide is they are going to be contenders or just pretenders? Certain guys can't disappear on defense, and choak shooting like eating two Popeye biscuits fast with no drink if they want to ne contenders. Also nothing was done by our brain trust to shorten the 17-0 run. I think Dambrot thinks he gets cash back for unused time outs. That was just hard to watch.

Sounds right. Don't know how many times I have heard him in post game interviews saying he doesn't want to be fined for criticizing officials.Way too many times. You make a million dollars a year and you are afraid of a $20,000 fine for calling out the refs and having your players backs? Really coach? I'd think players would gain just a bit more respect for you and go to war for you instead of in spite of you. Harsh maybe, but reality in my mind.

1/18/2023 10:00 pm  #59

NapaDuke wrote:

FAM wrote:

As I said earlier…we needed defense. Got our rear ends kicked and bad defense on a bad night.

We would have won if we ran and scored our ave for the season as well as we played defense today? Scoring 56 points? Blame our defense? What,  were we to hold them to like 10 points or something? Scoring does matter.  Walking the ball down the court to play half court makes any opponent look good on defense. This offense today  was last year all over again. This game is all on the coaching staff. We didn't play our game. Really.  

Agree. My wife said early on "why aren't they pushing the ball up court"? I replied "because that would make sense". Later on Diane (my wife) asked "why aren't they pressing full court down by 20"? I replied "because that would make sense". Love my wife she gets it.

1/18/2023 10:07 pm  #60

We clearly ran in transition when possible. Transition comes after steals and missed baskets. When we did those things we got in transition. When we didn’t, we couldn’t. Our press was timed perfectly, too early and we have no gas or risk them getting layups break the game open out of reach. We cut the lead to 6 with like 6 minutes left. This was perfectly executed. Just couldn’t make enough shots (which we got open ones) to get over that final hump.  The rusty start lost the game, nothing else. This is basketball, there are highs and lows. Stay the course, and this team will bring us a lot of joy.

1/19/2023 1:27 am  #61

Ugh. 20-3 to start the game. Mcgriff actually had the highest +/- of the dukes with +11

1/19/2023 4:14 am  #62

Watch the guys high fiving each other during the halftime warmups in layup lines... they were down by 15 and played a horrible half but as much as I hate to mention last years team you would never see that from them. Tre Williams played with a ton of heart. Grant and Reece need to pick it up physically. Add to that Grant didn't have a single field goal. Clark was b****ing at the refs a lot every single time they called anything against him. He should know that the refs have had something against Duquesne for the past couple years because I think players like Mike Hughes and TDM got too animated. I feel the refs have given Duquesne *a little* more respect this year, but still, that Tony Chiazza has reffed like five or six games of ours at this point, he must have personal relationships/dislikings for DU players at this point. Those last 3 current players mentioned, Grant, Clark, and Reece, could be such a dominant force in the A10 it's not even funny. Clark and Grant are both versatile guards in different ways and when they are in the right headspace are unstoppable. Same with Joe Reece I think if he played with a bit more grit and confidence he could be physical against A10 bigs... He should have the confidence! He's a talented big man who should try to bang down low as well as hit those sweet short corner jumpers and 3s from the point. Shoutout to Rozier... When things fall apart he brings us back together. Did Barre only play those minutes to get the momentum swinging back in our direction and didn't pay again? Gunn needs to play better than that if he wants to take that many shots which we all know he can and Brewer just had an off game. I also think Rotroff can go up with more confidence and dunk over those guys with just the mindset that he can and he will. I can't want to watch this matchup again February 11th.

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/19/2023 4:17 am)

1/19/2023 4:24 am  #63

CityDuke wrote:

Crucial play that sticks in my mind. We cut the lead to 6. Reece blocks a shot, we start to run in transition and he passes it straight to a Bonnie for a layup. That was the epitome of his night unfortunately.

Truth. What could have been the turning point for us was the turning point for them.

1/19/2023 4:40 am  #64

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

We clearly ran in transition when possible. Transition comes after steals and missed baskets. When we did those things we got in transition. When we didn’t, we couldn’t. Our press was timed perfectly, too early and we have no gas or risk them getting layups break the game open out of reach. We cut the lead to 6 with like 6 minutes left. This was perfectly executed. Just couldn’t make enough shots (which we got open ones) to get over that final hump. The rusty start lost the game, nothing else. This is basketball, there are highs and lows. Stay the course, and this team will bring us a lot of joy.

Never too early to press? The Dukes can go 12 deep. Not like last year when they had 7 or 8. These are elite college athletes who can run all day unless they weren't conditioned to. Shoot man when I played college hoops our coach had us run four 400 meter runs under 80 seconds for us guards and under 2 minutes for the big men at least once a week all within a few minutes of each other. Murder sprints everyday. You were in such good condition you could go all day out on the court come gameday without being winded. Shoot I ran a 4 Minute 11 second mile two years after college just missing the olympic trials by less than 2 seconds. All because my basketball coach got me in that condition.

Agree with this. Yes we had injuries and it would have been hard to test during the non conference but very very early in the season Dambrot was talking about pressing the entire game and playing a large lineup for not only the reason of having the legs to constantly press but also keep the individual players satisfied so there wouldn't be a mass exodus again. Now we have the full lineup back, in some of these "weaker" conference games coming up like Fordham and Loyola we should try this full game press strategy. Get these guys conditioned. We should do everything we can to get a double bye in the A10 tournament because that will help a ton but at the end of the day the thing that matters the most and really the only thing that matters is the A10 tournament result. Loyola Chicago has had a horrendous season so far and they are looking at it from the same viewpoint we should be since there's not a chance we're getting an at-large NCAA tournament selection. Braden Norris of Loyola says, "This is rare territory for us. Seven straight without a win... but we have ultimate trust in our coaching staff and have the right guys in the locker room and at the end of the day all it takes is a few days in March." 
https://twitter.com/A10Talk/status/1615897031331180545

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/19/2023 4:48 am)

1/19/2023 5:21 am  #65

After last night's games, both Duquesne's men's and women's teams are tied for 7th and 6th in Atlantic 10 standings respectively with both at a .500 conference winning percentage.

Men's Standings:
1) 5-1 VCU
1) 5-1 Saint Louis
1) 5-1 Dayton
4) 4-2 St. Bonaventure
4) 4-2 Richmond
6) 3-2 George Washington
7) 3-3 George Mason
7) 3-3 Duquesne
9) 2-3 Fordham
9) 2-3 LaSalle
11) 2-4 UMass
11) 2-4 St. Joseph's
11) 2-4 Rhode Island
14) 2-5 Davidson
15) 0-6 Loyola Chicago

Women's Standings:
1) 6-0 Rhode Island
2) 4-1 UMass
3) 4-2 Saint Joseph's
3) 4-2 Fordham
5) 3-2 LaSalle
6) 2-2 Davidson
6) 3-3 George Mason
6) 3-3 George Washington
6) 3-3 Duquesne 
10) 2-3 VCU
10) 2-3 Dayton
12) 2-4 Saint Louis
13) 1-3 Richmond
14) 1-4 Loyola Chicago
15) 0-5 St. Bonaventure

1/19/2023 5:48 am  #66

I've finally decided to go over full season stats, here are some things I found interesting:

-Quincy McGriff has the 5th most minutes this season of all players. 
-Austin Rotroff is tied for 5th most field goals made this season.
-Dae Dae Grant leads the team in defensive rebounds
-Only 3 players have appeared in all 19 games so far: Rotroff, Grant, and Clark.
-Our leader in Blocks per game is David Dixon with just 1.1. Although we do not have much of a blocking game this year I would like to see Dixon get some scrap minutes here and there to keep him satisfied since his potential is very high.
-Both Tevin Brewer and Kareem Rozier are shooting below 65% from the free throw line.
-Teams are going to be catching on quick as to how good Gunn is from deep. He already has attempted 50 three pointers and has made 23 of them. That's 46%. Tevin Brewer is also 17/40 for 42% from 3 and Kareem Rozier is 11/25 for 44%. Compare those to Dae Dae Grant who is 56/133 for 42.1%. Tre Clark has attempted the second most three pointers on the team with 84 attempts to only sink 26 of them for 31%. That is a worse percentage than not only those mentioned above but Joe Reece, Matus Hronsky, and Quincy McGriff as well who are all shooting 33.3 percent from three. (7/21,7/21, and 23/69 respectively)

1/19/2023 6:01 am  #67

By the way DePaul beat AP #8 Xavier last night 73-72. That is great for the Duke's resume! Not at large resume, that's long gone. But at least it will positively impact ranking like NET and Kenpom.

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/19/2023 6:03 am)

1/19/2023 6:16 am  #68

1/19/2023 8:51 am  #69

Thoughts on your thoughts…
-CLK - yes, many folks do think DAMBROT gets a bonus for not using time outs.
-IronDuke - Your posting of Schmidt 11 wins and DAMBROT 1 says it all.  This is a year when our players were as good as their players and we lost again.  Yes, Schmidt is a better coach than DAMBROT without a doubt.
-Schmidt’s game plan was excellent
-Though DAMBROT got outcoached again, my opinion is that it is on the players for the first 12 minutes.  Also, whether he pressed them or not, our defense sucked.

Fordham is not going to come in and lay down.  We have to play consistently and with DEFENSE!

Last edited by FAM (1/19/2023 8:51 am)

1/19/2023 9:59 am  #70

I have attached the box score below.  A couple more thoughts and questions.

We are not a tough-minded team.  In the big games are best players disappear, why is that?  The only two consistent players we have in my opinion are Clark and Gunn. 

Dambrot's other teams that started 13-5 or better folded like a cheap tent the rest of the way.  This team has way more talent and depth than those teams.  I hope these coaches don't let that happen again.

Why did Dixon not play again when we clearly struggled to defend?  Dixon in his last game scored 11 points and was rewarded with not playing in the next two games.  I don't get it.

Why do certain players consistently lose sight of identified shooters giving up wide open shots?

Note some of these questions are meant to be rhetorical.   

Men's Basketball vs St. Bonaventure on 1/18/2023 - Box Score - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

1/19/2023 10:11 am  #71

IDK what happened to Grant, or his inability to get any shots(maybe thats on the coach, IDK), but he cant defend either.   
As Denzel said in Remember the Titans, you're killing me Petey!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUA8eij_cEs

Where can we find the +/- stat?

1/19/2023 11:06 am  #72

In my opinion; the bottom line at Duquesne for both men and women is that when the opponent is well-coached Duquesne will lose.   

1/19/2023 11:43 am  #73

CityDuke wrote:

Bleeds Red & Blue wrote:

Amen. Say it louder for the people in the back!

Normally, I would agree with this assessment. KD's coaching is usually the first thing folks on this board cite when things go wrong, when roster construction and players' limitations is typically a bigger factor. But last night, I think you can make the case that if Schmidt didn't outcoach KD in the game then he certainly had his team better prepared to play. You can credit most of his dominance of KD over the years to having better players but those better players have all either turned pro or moved up to big-time programs. Last night, their starting five consisted of a St. Peter's transfer (who's admittedly a really good player), a Morgan State transfer, a Holy Cross transfer and two true freshmen. With a Hartford transfer, a Fairleigh Dickinson transfer and two more true freshmen off the bench. Yet, they jumped out to a 20-3 lead that the Dukes could never recover from. Off shooting night in a tough place to play? Still not a good enough explanation when you had a whole week to prepare. And I also don't understand why David Dixon is stuck to the bench.

It's a setback but hardly a season-killer. The next five games look awfully winnable to me, then we get another shot at Bonaventure, which has been kind of lousy in road games so far. The top-4 finish is still there for the taking.

1/19/2023 12:13 pm  #74

How would Rozier, Clark, Gunn, Williams and Barre be for a starting(or main) 5?   Solid height, floor general, 2 of the best defenders, rebounders, shooter, and best athlete on the court(of both teams).

1/19/2023 1:03 pm  #75

townsonkid wrote:

How would Rozier, Clark, Gunn, Williams and Barre be for a starting(or main) 5?   Solid height, floor general, 2 of the best defenders, rebounders, shooter, and best athlete on the court(of both teams).

Couldn't argue with it. Barre with 6 minutes, 2 rebounds and 4 points. Not too shabby. No Dixon. 
It's no secret that KD leans toward experience over talent most times but not certain that is working out too well in the paint.
Would love to see Barre play 10-12 minutes per game at the very least. Of course, I don't get paid a million a year to make those decisions! Just my 2 cents worth.
Tough game to watch last night but honestly not totally taken by surprise by it. Mark Schmidt is as good as any A-10 coach and better than most. Surprised he never had the opportunity to move up in the ranks.
Can't stand losing to those folks but credit where credit is due.

Board footera