Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2023 1:21 pm  #1

To Avoid A Poor Stretch Run

This was pointed out in the previous thread:
2017-18: Started 13-5, finished 3-11
2018-19: Started 14-5, finished 5-8
2019-20: Started 15-2, finished 6-7

To avoid this kind of swoon again, I think the following:

1. SHORTENING THE BENCH IS A HUGE MISTAKE. There is a lot of talent on this team and going with the “veteran” players is shortsighted. Dixon, Barre and Hronsky have added hustle, athleticism and really important contributions in their time on the floor. This team responded well to everyone playing. Going back to pre-conference substitutions only can help in developing the youngsters, giving more rest to everyone, creating enthusiasm and, who knows, maybe you find a hot hand. Just think: Dixon kept them in the game at Richmond; McGriff was better at point guard; Barre and Hronsky generate energy. Play all of your cards.

2. ON THE ROAD, PLAY BIG. Grant had pretty much disappeared in road games. Gunn is going to shoot the ball. Play two guards for a decent portion of the game and move Gunn and Hronsky to the three spot. Helps the rebounding, doesn’t put as much pressure on the guards. Those of us who watched the Cheney Temple teams terrorize the A10, always knew that their big three was going to make a difference. This team has the potential for that look.

3. POUND THE BALL INSIDE. It is still an inside out game. When the Dukes establish the post presence, the three ball comes more easily. We have decent bigs that can pass out of the double teams. Opening up the floor this way is never a bad thing.

4. MORE PRESSURE DEFENSE. This team can press and trap, especially when the deep bench is used. A10 teams are susceptible to pressure if you watch the league. And, a big zone would throw off the other teams for a few possessions. We have the athletes to sustain 40 minutes of pressure.

Just my thoughts. I really like this team. They play good ball.  It has been a fun team to watch. Hopefully, we will avoid the poor stretch run.

1/20/2023 3:50 pm  #2

Re: To Avoid A Poor Stretch Run

HookShot wrote:

This was pointed out in the previous thread:
2017-18: Started 13-5, finished 3-11
2018-19: Started 14-5, finished 5-8
2019-20: Started 15-2, finished 6-7

To avoid this kind of swoon again, I think the following:

1. SHORTENING THE BENCH IS A HUGE MISTAKE. There is a lot of talent on this team and going with the “veteran” players is shortsighted. Dixon, Barre and Hronsky have added hustle, athleticism and really important contributions in their time on the floor. This team responded well to everyone playing. Going back to pre-conference substitutions only can help in developing the youngsters, giving more rest to everyone, creating enthusiasm and, who knows, maybe you find a hot hand. Just think: Dixon kept them in the game at Richmond; McGriff was better at point guard; Barre and Hronsky generate energy. Play all of your cards.

2. ON THE ROAD, PLAY BIG. Grant had pretty much disappeared in road games. Gunn is going to shoot the ball. Play two guards for a decent portion of the game and move Gunn and Hronsky to the three spot. Helps the rebounding, doesn’t put as much pressure on the guards. Those of us who watched the Cheney Temple teams terrorize the A10, always knew that their big three was going to make a difference. This team has the potential for that look.

3. POUND THE BALL INSIDE. It is still an inside out game. When the Dukes establish the post presence, the three ball comes more easily. We have decent bigs that can pass out of the double teams. Opening up the floor this way is never a bad thing.

4. MORE PRESSURE DEFENSE. This team can press and trap, especially when the deep bench is used. A10 teams are susceptible to pressure if you watch the league. And, a big zone would throw off the other teams for a few possessions. We have the athletes to sustain 40 minutes of pressure.

Just my thoughts. I really like this team. They play good ball. It has been a fun team to watch. Hopefully, we will avoid the poor stretch run.

Spot on. This is a great observation. Good teams play this way. This years Dukes have displayed the ability to do ever one of these points. Let's hope going forward, this coaching staff should be more interested in winning the game  than being afraid to lose.  Ron won with Saunders at 6'7" and Clark at 6' 5" and everyone else even smaller, because his Dukes won the games away from the basket with presser leading to turnovers to fast break baskets. His Dukes beat a ranked Temple team, up 22-0 before Temple got a basket at the beginning of that game, Temple didn't barely get the ball to mid-court before the Dukes took it away to easy fast-break baskets. I was there, everyone there was just stun to watch us kill a top ten team so fast. Temple was much taller than the Dukes, but couldn't use that advantage because, we didn't let them get near the basket.  Temple couldn't launch one shot in that first 4 minutes? You can play BB a lot of ways, but when you are faster than the opponent away from the basket and don't use that advantage, then it is bad coaching. Plus, this team can then go Big back and forth in every game, changing from speed to over-whelming them inside with size. It just take some real coaching to do it.

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/20/2023 3:54 pm)

1/20/2023 5:56 pm  #3

Thank you HookShot and NapaDuke for posting buoyant suggestions for going forward instead of finger-pointing and assessing culpability for past events. Your thoughts are logical, practical and appreciated. Keep them coming.

1/20/2023 6:33 pm  #4

Bleeds Red & Blue wrote:

Thank you HookShot and NapaDuke for posting buoyant suggestions for going forward instead of finger-pointing and assessing culpability for past events. Your thoughts are logical, practical and appreciated. Keep them coming.

And thank you. This team is really talented and should be pushed to presser from the inbound to beat teams even before they get to mid-court. Then can, and also, turn, and sub in and dominate the paint if the coaches put enough Bigs in at the same time when they sub.  It would produce chaos on the opponents.  This year, with so much talent, both are more than achievable.  Good coaches, at this moment with this much diverse talent should apply both. Heck, why not. Maybe the most feared team to face is one that can change on a dime to either. Just try to prepare to face that team. The players are there, I'd like to see the coaches go for it.

1/20/2023 8:11 pm  #5

I agree that if this team is going to do anything “special” it needs to make use of the the deep bench.  Most of the parts are movable playing time should depend on who has the hot hand; not just on seniority or starting status.

1/20/2023 9:27 pm  #6

I agree with all of this.  Play the bench, speed up the game, and press on defense the full length of the court.  I just watched VCU win at Richmond by 12 points doing just that.  Talent-wise, VCU seems very similar to us and made it look easy beating a taller, 1/2 court oriented team by 12 points.   

1/21/2023 1:08 am  #7

Play good, play smart, play with heart and never give up

Board footera