Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2023 3:50 pm  #1

Game Thread - Loyola University Chicago Ramblers

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 01/25/2023 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Virtual Game Program: https://indd.adobe.com/view/339d617d-c38a-4069-8691-059da0698692

Per KenPom (363 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #130 (13-7; 3-4 A-10) vs Loyola Chicago Ramblers #237 (7-12; 1-6 A-10)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 10, 75-65 - Dukes with a 80% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=3700

Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #121 vs Loyola Chicago #246
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 11, 74.41-63.77
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4723&tid2=4391&neut=0

Betting line: Dukes are 8½ point favorites; Over/Under 138½
Duquesne 11-9 Against the Spread: Loyola Chicago 4-15 ATS

Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/news/2023/1/24/mens-basketball-preview-duquesne-vs-loyola-chicago.aspx
Loyola Chicago Game Notes: https://loyolaramblers.com/news/2023/1/24/mens-basketball-ramblers-head-to-pittsburgh-to-face-duquesne-wednesday-evening.aspx

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/2023.html
Loyola Chicago:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/loyola-il/2023.html

Dukes KenPom Best Wins: VCU (79); UCSB (88); Colgate (120); Indiana St. (129); DePaul (135);
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: New Mexico St (199); Fordham (183); St. Bonaventure (159); Richmond (118); Marshall (75); Dayton (61) 
Loyola Chicago KenPom Best Wins: Clemson (60); St. Bonaventure (159); Illinois Chicago (294); Fairleigh Dickinson (319)
Loyola Chicago KenPom Worst Losses: Tulsa (240); Saint Joseph's (201); George Washington (168); Harvard (158)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 36.9%, 41 in D-1; Defense 35.5%, 271 in D-1
Loyola Chicago 3 Point:  Offense 33.5%, 193 in D-1; Defense 33.8%, 176 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 47.6%, 276 in D-1; Defense 47.1%, 82 in D-1
Loyola Chicago 2 Point:  Offense 56.0%, 16 in D-1; Defense 51.7%, 246 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 68.0%, 275 in D-1; Defense 69.2%, 85 in D-1
Loyola Chicago FT:  Offense 68.7%, 259 in D-1; Defense 74.6%, 321 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Loyola Chicago Adj Offense Efficiency - 101.3; 227 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 104.7; 201 in D-1
Loyola Chicago Adj Defense Efficiency - 106.8; 246 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 108.6; 88 in D-1
Loyola Chicago Adj Tempo - 65.4; 281 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 66.8; 2121 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
D-1 Experience - Loyola Chicago 1.98 yrs; 166 in D-1; Dukes 2.08 yrs; 149 in D-1
Average Height - Loyola Chicago 76.6"; 252 in D-1; Dukes 76.1"; 325 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/25/2023 12:52 pm)

1/25/2023 1:57 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Loyola University Chicago Ramblers

Saw some Loyola fans in Market Square tonight, hoping for a good turnout from Dukes fans tomorrow and I'd be surprised to see a ton of Loyola fans over here. Not more than VCU or Marshall did.

1/25/2023 5:07 am  #3

I now have a very uneasy feeling about each and every game remaining on our schedule. Let's get over the hump tonight. If this one goes south on us, not certain I see another sure win in sight! At this point I'll take a one pointer!

Last edited by El Presidente (1/25/2023 5:09 am)

1/25/2023 8:15 am  #4

Dukes should be favored by 15 points. Sister Jean with her rosary gets at least 6 points for the Ramblers prior to tip off.

1/25/2023 11:07 am  #5

Its 8.5 on fanduel right now..   I guess I'd lean towards the Dukes -8.5, they have to snap out of the shooting slump sooner or later, right?   But I would like to know the status of Clark's ankle before any predictions tonight. 

1/25/2023 11:40 am  #6

townsonkid wrote:

Its 8.5 on fanduel right now..   I guess I'd lean towards the Dukes -8.5, they have to snap out of the shooting slump sooner or later, right?   But I would like to know the status of Clark's ankle before any predictions tonight. 

I wish I was confident enough to say we should just sit Jimmy tonight for the extra rest but this is a "must win" and I fear we need all hands on deck.

1/25/2023 12:30 pm  #7

The Dukes just can't set up to feed the ball inside, because like the Marshall game we don't score and or they take the ball away.  I would be happy to see just one Big on this team gets the ball insided and turns and scores. It's the one thing this team isn't good at.

1/25/2023 12:50 pm  #8

NapaDuke wrote:

The Dukes just can't set up to feed the ball inside, because like the Marshall game we don't score and or they take the ball away.  I would be happy to see just one Big on this team gets the ball insided and turns and scores. It's the one thing this team isn't good at.

Agreed. If we had one solid post player who was consistent, we would be a top 50 team. Well almost maybe!!

1/25/2023 1:20 pm  #9

El Presidente wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Agreed. If we had one solid post player who was consistent, we would be a top 50 team. Well almost maybe!!

Tre is frustrating because he certainly has the moves to get the easy bucket from the post - he just misses too often.  we've seen what he can do when his shot is falling, just can't rely on it.  

1/25/2023 1:58 pm  #10

Styles1229 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Tre is frustrating because he certainly has the moves to get the easy bucket from the post - he just misses too often.  we've seen what he can do when his shot is falling, just can't rely on it.  

I would like to see all of the Bigs stop using a hook shot that never goes in, never draws a foul, and leaves them farther from the rim were it's an easy rebound for the defender. Just get the ball, no dribble, one head-fake to get their opponent into the air, then lean into them and get the basket and foul. One or the other or both will do.

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/25/2023 6:55 pm)

1/25/2023 2:44 pm  #11

I gave Lew Alcindor the same advice on hook shots.  You think he would listen?  Of course not.

1/25/2023 2:55 pm  #12

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

I gave Lew Alcindor the same advice on hook shots. You think he would listen? Of course not.

Think what kind of career Lew could have had!!!
BTW- I'm not talking about a super star post player for the Dukes. Give me a 6-9 guy who gets 7 rebounds and 12 points per game consistently and I'll show you an outstanding team. 

1/25/2023 3:14 pm  #13

El Presidente wrote:

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

I gave Lew Alcindor the same advice on hook shots. You think he would listen? Of course not.

BTW- I'm not talking about a super star post player for the Dukes. Give me a 6-9 guy who gets 7 rebounds and 12 points per game consistently and I'll show you an outstanding team. 

You pretty much already have that in Reece Rotroff, averaging 32 minutes with 14.2 points and 10.5 rebounds per game.  In conference so far, averaging 28 minutes with 12.5 points and 8.9 rebounds per game.

To me, Reece Rotroff is not very physical, gets pushed around consistently (especially an issue when the refs are not calling anything inside).  Not a great rim defender, nor does a passable job of recognizing the double team and passing out of it.

1/25/2023 5:17 pm  #14

A real "hook shot" is sort of a lost art. It was a truly vertical arm sweep with delivery over one's head. Almost all post players now use a 3/4 arm delivery that is part hook shot and part extended layup, resulting in misses off the sides of the rim.  

My non-expert observation.

1/25/2023 5:32 pm  #15

1/25/2023 6:52 pm  #16

applecorps wrote:

A real "hook shot" is sort of a lost art. It was a truly vertical arm sweep with delivery over one's head. Almost all post players now use a 3/4 arm delivery that is part hook shot and part extended layup, resulting in misses off the sides of the rim.  

My non-expert observation.

Absolutely. Our Bigs don't watch the ball release at the very top before release to the basket. Not Kareem's hook. It's more of a 3/4 hope by dumb luck it goes in. My opinion.

1/25/2023 6:53 pm  #17

El Presidente wrote:

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Tre Williams averaged 11 points, 5.94 rebounds, & 2.16 blocks while leading the team in 2PT shooting at 51.6% on in the 25 games he played before being injured early in last season's 2nd Davidson game. Unfortunately, he and the very limited help he got was rarely enough to satisfy the frontcourt needs of a successful A-10 team. Having one, legitimate  6' 7" post player in the A-10 surrounded by a bunch of wings & guards would require a group of 5-6 players with the kind of brains, length, shooting, experience, coaching, & athleticism that has not been seen on The Bluff in the 30 years I have been a fan.

I truly believe that if/when Tre, a serviceable 5 like Dixon, & a 3 that has the ability to contribute inside & out on both ends of the floor like Easley did last season, (or Gunn has shown glimpses of), backed-up by Reece/Rotroff/Barre, this team would have a top 3 group of bigs in the A-10. This doesn't even have to be the starting lineup. There could be 3-4 five minute stints per game that would be really effective against Dayton, SBU, Fordham, etc... 

1/25/2023 6:53 pm  #18

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Too funny. Love the humor.

1/25/2023 7:58 pm  #19

Wow. Looks like Dambrot may have lost the team again… unless someone steps up in the 2nd half. 

Rinse-repeat.

1/25/2023 8:00 pm  #20

No heart.  Sad to watch.

1/25/2023 8:04 pm  #21

FAM wrote:

Wow. Looks like Dambrot may have lost the team again… unless someone steps up in the 2nd half.

Rinse-repeat.

It would appear that KD is not a good coach. Where did the high scoring perimeter game go? Clark got a pass to a wide open 3 and not take it but seemed to have to dibble in to pass inside to what turned out to be, again, no points? Some very bad coaching is taking place here.

1/25/2023 8:07 pm  #22

Dukes sinking like a ship at half time. It’s up to Captain Dambrot to adjust. Coach earn your money. Go Dukes

1/25/2023 8:21 pm  #23

NapaDuke wrote:

FAM wrote:

Rinse-repeat.

It would appear that KD is not a good coach. Where did the high scoring perimeter game go? Clark got a pass to a wide open 3 and not take it but seemed to have to dibble in to pass inside to what turned out to be, again, no points? Some very bad coaching is taking place here.

Or maybe he passed up on the three because he hasn’t gotten off to a good start from the perimeter today and is a better driver.

1/25/2023 8:21 pm  #24

Now that was funny.  Hopefully we win cause that will make espn.

1/25/2023 8:23 pm  #25

townsonkid wrote:

Now that was funny. Hopefully we win cause that will make espn.

Seen it all now.

Board footera