Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2023 2:24 pm  #1

What is it you like best of Dambrots tenure?

Please enlighten me as to Dambrots accomplishments at DU. Is it his player retention rate ? Is his ability to knock off a top 30 team? Is it his offensive sets ? Is it his defensive schemes? Player development ? Is it his rotation of players? His non use of timeouts? His running out players like Lewis, Williams and Carry to just name a few. Rotroff is the only player that has improved in his 6 years, mostly because he has been able to avoid injuries.  His record at DU is over inflated because of the soft out of conference schedule, plus the majority of those games have been at our home court. Or is it his ability to increase attendance? Really do not want to hear how other coaches think highly of him, because they never rip each other publicly, it’s a tight fraternity. Or how he handled Covid, as everyone dealt with that decease. Please tell me his accomplishments while at DU not Akron.

1/29/2023 4:07 pm  #2

Re: What is it you like best of Dambrots tenure?

Player retention: Who have we lost that hurt us?  Williams Jr. got plucked by a high major.  That hurt.  Carry left for family/personal reasons. That hurt.  Weathers left to play with his brother. That hurt. Maybe I am blanking, but I cannot think of anyone else we lost that hurt us.  Baker was very talented but we have all seen how that as played out.  We were better off.  Hima? Big project, replaced with better guys.  Better off. Okani, Norman, Ayers, Acuff all transferred down and are on losing teams.  Better off.  Johnson and Spears? Spears, no disrespect to him as he has been a bright spot on a terrible team, might be the losingest point guard in college basketball through his first two seasons.  Better off.

2017/18: picked to finish last in conference. Finished 10th. 
2018/19: picked to finish 11th.  Finished 6th. 4 A10 road wins (tied record). 6th time in 42 A10 seasons finishing with a winning conference record. 346th least experienced team out of 353 teams.
2019/20: picked to finish 8th.  Finished 5th. NO HOMECOURT. 21 wins. Third time over 20 wins in 48 seasons.  11 A10 wins (school record). First time we have ever beaten Davidson/VCU.  Three years in and Dambrot has beaten every team in the conference. 6 A10 road wins (new record). Covid hit. We'll never know what could have been.
2020/21: Picked to finish 5th.  Finished 9th. NO HOMECOURT until the end of the season.  694 days without a home court before the opening of the Cooper Fieldhouse.  .500 or better in four straight A10 seasons. 
2021/22: Disaster. We all agree.

Currently: Picked to finish LAST. Somewhere along the line this seems to have been lost in translation. 

We have overachieved in 4 out of 6 seasons. A common theme on this board is his offensive sets.  We have the third best half-court offense in the league. We are also third in the conference in points per game. 

1/29/2023 8:00 pm  #3

Giving him credit for a potential 10th or 11th place finish this year instead of 15th as overachieving is the stretch of all stretches.   Particularly due to the fact of the horrid team he put together last year and his general lack of caring about recruiting until his ass was on the line.

1/29/2023 9:07 pm  #4

Some fair points City Duke, but DuqBlue also points out relevant facts.  Further, when you point out Hima, Okani, Norman, Ayers, Acuff and Spears then that speaks to the level of recruiting.  I actually thought Johnson was mismanaged and KD just let Spears do whatever he wanted without repercussion and Johnson would get the quick hook when he made a bad play. So again, you make my point about recruiting and see my other post regarding the coaching staff as it relates to recruiting.  We would not need to be "better off" as you say if self-inflicted mistakes, errors in judgment and mismanagement didn't occur in the first place.

1/29/2023 11:24 pm  #5

The whole topic is pathetic

1/29/2023 11:28 pm  #6

No offense, but what has been successful? Has the team won one significant game? Have they been to the NCAA or NIT? Zero

1/30/2023 7:11 am  #7

Vickroy, Widwood, Pete,  and DuqBlu I agree.     Geeze.... This is too easy.  I’m just gonna try and leave this one alone.

Wildwood, I was also gonna reinforce your point about public comments by coaches.  Heck, When DAMBROT got here I heard him say, with my own ears, what a good coach Jim Ferry is...

1/30/2023 8:39 am  #8

I have been impressed with how Coach Dambrot stirs excitement for the team every season and the by February has brought us back to reality.

1/30/2023 8:18 pm  #9

Don't want to go out of context bc I do like Dambrot but I seem to recall him saying that Tre was better than Mike Hughes. I like Tre but Mike Hughes was a beast. He was a leader.

1/30/2023 9:00 pm  #10

Mike was NOT  leader. He lacked discipline & maturity. This rubbed off on his teammates. He drew the worst kind of attention & ire from the referees. 

MHughes has loads of physical gifts, grit, & skill. If he was less of a child, he would have ended-up at a much better program for year 5 just like Marcus. 

1/30/2023 9:54 pm  #11

I agree that Rotroff got better. But Rotroff certainly did not avoid injuries.  He suffered a number of injuries that undoubtedly hampered his development.
Still, Rotroff improved because he stayed. TDM, Hughes, and Weathers also improved under Dambrot because they were with him multiple years. 
But with the way college basketball is now, we’ll see less of that. We’re going to see few 4 year guys and lots of turnover. 

Board footera