Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2023 8:49 am  #1

Have we been mistaken for a long time?

In the first 31 years of Duquesne basketball, from the 1913-14 through the 1947-48 seasons, the Dukes had 26 winning seasons. From the 1948-49 year, when the Associated Press poll began, to 1971-72, the last time the team was ranked, it had 21 winning seasons in 24 years.
The total: 47 winning seasons in 55 years.
In the 50 seasons since, the Dukes have topped .500 only 12 times. To be sure, there have been some good seasons: 21-win years in 2009-10 and 2019-20; 20 in 1980-81; 19 in 2010-11 and 2018-19 and 18 in 1979-80.
But there also have been 12 single-digit-win years.
The once-proud Duquesne basketball tradition has not really been seen alive since 1972 and the performance has been, overall, rather mediocre.
My question is: Have we been fooling ourselves?

1/30/2023 9:44 am  #2

Re: Have we been mistaken for a long time?

We may be a lot of things on this message board, but one thing we don't do is fool ourselves over the crap storm this program has been and is.   

Last edited by DuqBlue (1/30/2023 9:48 am)

1/31/2023 1:59 pm  #3

If you mean in regards to the folks claiming there's still a tangible tradition, yes. There's history, but there's not provenance.

No one knows who Manning is. No know knows Nixon, or Mossie. They certainly don't know Pipkins, Bosnic, or Price. They don't know Mike James. They don't know about Huggins elbow on Flenory, and they don't know who Flenory is. They don't know about Danny Nee, Ron Everhart, or Aaron Jackson.

Why is it so many think they should?

Last edited by Face (1/31/2023 2:14 pm)

1/31/2023 3:44 pm  #4

Face wrote:

If you mean in regards to the folks claiming there's still a tangible tradition, yes. There's history, but there's not provenance.

No one knows who Manning is. No know knows Nixon, or Mossie. They certainly don't know Pipkins, Bosnic, or Price. They don't know Mike James. They don't know about Huggins elbow on Flenory, and they don't know who Flenory is. They don't know about Danny Nee, Ron Everhart, or Aaron Jackson.

Not sure what "so many" is. To answer your question, the core of DU basketball fans is largely composed of those who do remember those names. I don't think expectations for a quality program are all tied to the long past though. 

1/31/2023 6:24 pm  #5

applecorps wrote:

Face wrote:

Not sure what "so many" is. To answer your question, the core of DU basketball fans is largely composed of those who do remember those names. I don't think expectations for a quality program are all tied to the long past though. 

Clarification: The last lines were mine, responding to Face's question. 

1/31/2023 6:54 pm  #6

My wife of 42+ years (not a DU graduate) tells me I have been unrealistic about DU Men's Basketball for as long as she's known me. She sees my initial enthusiasm wither practically every year. I try to explain how much fun it was in those glory years and how she just doesn't understand. I think she just figures she tried to spare me more grief but I'm the one who doesn't understand.

Furthermore there are times when I think DU Administration wishes we oldsters who remember those years and want NCAA Tournament bids again would just go away. (Eventually we will, of course.) There's a lot more competition now and we're still being outspent. We beef up the endowment and start a medical school. Between those events, the Palumbo renovation is just a modest part of the bigger plan.

2/01/2023 12:12 am  #7

Face wrote:

I made the grim joke a few years ago, that the people who were alive when the Dukes were great were in diapers during that period, and will soon be again.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/01/2023 9:07 am  #8

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Face wrote:

I made the grim joke a few years ago, that the people who were alive when the Dukes were great were in diapers during that period, and will soon be again.

Tejas you made me giggle but so true

Board footera