Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2023 5:51 pm  #1

Game Thread - George Washington University Colonials

2:00pm EST tip on Saturday 02/04/2023 at the Charles E Smith Center, Washington, DC

Per KenPom (363 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #124 (14-8; 4-5 A-10) vs George Washington Colonials #196 (11-11 [10-11 vs D-1); 5-4 A-10)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 1, 78-77 - Dukes with a 52% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=4181

Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #116 vs GW #178
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 1, 75.94-75.19
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=113&neut=0

Betting line: Dukes are 1 point underdogs; Over/Under 153½
Duquesne 12-10 Against the Spread: GW 10-11 ATS

Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/news/2023/2/3/mens-basketball-preview-duquesne-at-george-washington.aspx
GW Game Notes: https://gwsports.com/news/2023/2/3/mens-basketball-hosts-duquesne-on-homecoming-weekend.aspx

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/2023.html
GW: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/george-washington/2023.html

Dukes KenPom Best Wins: VCU (78); UCSB (94); Colgate (115); Indiana St. (119); DePaul (141)
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: New Mexico St (192); St. Bonaventure (162); Richmond (142); Fordham (137); Marshall (75); Dayton (66) 
GW KenPom Best Wins: Dayton (66); George Mason (130); UMass (161); Saint Joseph's (181)
GW KenPom Worst Losses: UC San Diego (289); La Salle (249); American (231); Pepperdine (194); Radford (149)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 36.2%, 58 in D-1; Defense 35.2%, 256 in D-1
GW 3 Point:  Offense 32.0%, 277 in D-1; Defense 34.1%, 192 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 47.9%, 276 in D-1; Defense 47.2%, 77 in D-1
GW 2 Point:  Offense 56.6%, 12 in D-1; Defense 52.8%, 289 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 68.9%, 262 in D-1; Defense 69.5%, 103 in D-1
GW FT:  Offense 75.8%, 33 in D-1; Defense 68.4%, 60 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
GW Adj Offense Efficiency - 108.8; 104 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 105.4; 180 in D-1
GW Adj Defense Efficiency - 110.6; 291 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 109.3; 99 in D-1
GW Adj Tempo - 68.8; 96 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.2; 170 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
D-1 Experience - GW 2.36 yrs; 90 in D-1; Dukes 2.10 yrs; 145 in D-1
Average Height - GW 77.5"; 111 in D-1; Dukes 76.1"; 327 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (2/04/2023 9:47 am)

2/04/2023 8:29 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - George Washington University Colonials

Bishop and Adams are very good. Keep them in check and we win. They also full court press at times from what I have seen. We are a dangerous team to press because of our our shooters and ability in transition, so let’s see if they try it.  Go Dukes!

2/04/2023 12:56 pm  #3

I believe this is a very pivotal game for the Dukes. GW two bad road loses in a row. If the Dukes win in DC next three games at home. 18 wins. Time for the Dukes to kick it into third gear. Fan Duel has a parlay bet on the announcers saying the following: 1. Dambrots dad played at Duquesne 2. Dambrot approaching 500 wins 3. Dambrot coached Lebron James in HS 4. Dukes picked finish last place A10 I like this bet😂

2/04/2023 2:46 pm  #4

Two soft fouls on Clark, but it didn’t matter. Awesome effort from the Dukes. Great job on Bishop and Adams in the first half. Need to keep it up on those two. Great to have McGriff back. That first half was fun!

2/04/2023 2:53 pm  #5

Almost perfect first half by the Dukes??????  Best effort for any 20 minutes this year by the Dukes.  It is frustrating to know they can be this good and yet sometimes be abysmal.  But, I am still enjoying this season, especially after this first half. Time will tell if I feel the same way at the end of this game.  

Last edited by grammudder (2/04/2023 2:54 pm)

2/04/2023 3:21 pm  #6

After the last bye I posted Dambrot’s miserable record after byes. I’d love to know what they did this past week and if it is different from what they did in the past. This looks like an excellent use of a week off.

I’m going to try not to get too high because certainly a lot of GWs errors were self-inflicted. The offense has looked as good as it has all season long too though. It’s not just a matter of shots falling, the offense has found a rhythm they haven’t had all year. The off-ball movement is there, the passes are crisp, and yes the shots are falling. Even when they threw the zone at us they found the open man, got a bucket, and sent GW back to man. Let’s hope this continues down the stretch run because the team that’s on the floor can beat anyone in the conference.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/04/2023 3:27 pm)

2/04/2023 3:27 pm  #7

Ironduke81 wrote:

I believe this is a very pivotal game for the Dukes. GW two bad road loses in a row. If the Dukes win in DC next three games at home. 18 wins. Time for the Dukes to kick it into third gear. Fan Duel has a parlay bet on the announcers saying the following: 1. Dambrots dad played at Duquesne 2. Dambrot approaching 500 wins 3. Dambrot coached Lebron James in HS 4. Dukes picked finish last place A10 I like this bet😂

I haven’t heard them mention Sid Dambrot yet, but they did get in the 500 wins, last place prediction, and two LeBron mentions already. This crew does a pretty good job though. Not as good as the UMass crew which is the best I’ve heard in our time in ESPN+.

I’m more impressed with the fan support. Palumbo wouldn’t have been that full at tip-off, forget about being down by 30. I’ve never considered GW a great place to play (although I’ve never been there personally), but this fan support with the team down 30 to a middle of the road team is impressive.

2/04/2023 3:55 pm  #8

SORRY TO ALL YOU SUPER GENIUSES,THE DUKES WON. i KNOW YOU ARE DISSAPPOINTED . LETS
GO FIRE DAMBRO ANYWAY..

2/04/2023 3:59 pm  #9

Congrats!  Way to go Dukes.  Let's keep it up on Wednesday.

2/04/2023 4:33 pm  #10

stew wrote:

SORRY TO ALL YOU SUPER GENIUSES,THE DUKES WON. i KNOW YOU ARE DISSAPPOINTED . LETS
GO FIRE DAMBRO ANYWAY..

My thoughts exactly.  We’ve had two good coaches more than capable of winning at Duquesne in the last half century and some idiots feel the urge to want them fired.

I try to be respectful but if you are a real fan, aren’t psychotic and know the records and stats you’d realize that Dambrot and Everhart deserve(d) SUPPORT! 

Remember who we dug up after we fired RE

Look what happened to St. Joe’s.

Nice win today.  This team shows flashes of being a champion.  We just need to be consistent and be more disciplined.

Last edited by coffee (2/04/2023 4:43 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/04/2023 5:21 pm  #11

Hes a good coach and happy for the team and for all Duquesne fans.Its a time to be joyous,a road win and
hopefully Grant continues his hot shooting.Lets unite and be positive,sorry for being obnoxious.I am having a
great day savoring this fine team effort.

2/04/2023 6:30 pm  #12

stew wrote:

Hes a good coach and happy for the team and for all Duquesne fans.Its a time to be joyous,a road win and
hopefully Grant continues his hot shooting.Lets unite and be positive,sorry for being obnoxious.I am having a
great day savoring this fine team effort.

Just call it exuberance!   Great game today.

2/04/2023 6:49 pm  #13

Dominant, wire-to-wire, conference win on the road; Yes sir! Suddenly winning 5 or 6 more down the stretch seems very possible.

2/04/2023 6:51 pm  #14

This was a big road win for our Dukes. It was the biggest margin of victory ever in the A10 on the road for Duquesne.  An unbelievable 28-0 run. The Dukes regained their swagger today.  It was great to see them come shooting with such confidence again.  They went through a rough patch, but hopefully this game will be just what they needed to make a winning run to the finish.  Great to get McGriff back and healthy.  Go Dukes!

Men's Basketball vs George Washington on 2/4/2023 - Box Score - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

2/04/2023 7:12 pm  #15

Just a little even keel. This team is really streaky. I think this is where coaching plays a part. Can the get a little consistent?

2/04/2023 7:22 pm  #16

I was very impressed with the offense, energy, & poise of the older players today. Like most, I was also thrilled with & for Q.

I remain concerned that KD will not, under any circumstances, try to teach his team to play zone defense as a situational strategy. Could there have been a better time to practice than today?

5 of the remaining 8 games are at home & 6 of those 8 opponents are favorable matchups for the Dukes. For me, it's now or never for KD.

2/04/2023 7:31 pm  #17

If one doesn’t have manic - depression being a Duquesne Fan will get you there.

2/04/2023 7:40 pm  #18

FAM wrote:

If one doesn’t have manic - depression being a Duquesne Fan will get you there.

Some people on this board are just  depressive, no manic. They are only happy when they are miserable  🙂

2/04/2023 8:00 pm  #19

Best defensive effort under the Dambrot. GW  #1 A10 scoring. 2&3 top scorers in A10 . Dukes shut it down. Kudos Dambrot/Staff & team. Championships win on defense. That was good stuff. Love McGriffs length. Go Dukes👍

2/04/2023 11:05 pm  #20

We play like that from here on out and it could get interesting around here.

2/05/2023 7:17 am  #21

Only one page of discussion after that performance? Where are all my friends? Haha.

When this team shares the ball like that and takes and makes open shots, we are dangerous. And defensively, we were awesome. Similar to the VCU game with Baldwin, we cut the head off the snake. Although this time it was two heads- Bishop and Adams. We made them look pedestrian. Clark should win A10 defensive player of the year, and that isn’t my bias speaking. Three more steals for breakaway dunks. The kid is electric.

Loved seeing McGriff back healthy. We desperately missed his minutes and shot making while he was sick. How about Joe Reece! 13 points, 2 blocks, a steal, and 5 assists to only 1 turnover. People have asked for more from him, and he delivered.  The same is true for Grant. I thought that was one of his best all-around games so far in a Dukes uniform.

But my favorite part was our laser-like focus throughout. We never took our foot off the pedal last night. Throughout all the excitement of the 28-0 run and a 37 point lead, we stayed humble and played the game the right way. This shows me that this team wants way more than beating GW on the road. They are playing for something bigger, and they are building habits for that purpose. Let’s keep this train rolling!

2/05/2023 8:41 am  #22

Excellent post, City Duke!!!

2/05/2023 9:02 am  #23

It was a great day to be a Dukes fan for sure.  22 assists on 36 baskets!  The way they kept finding the opn shooter and the open shooter kept knocking down shots was intoxicating.  When Tre plays like that (foul trouble aside) and the outside shots are falling this team is as good as anyone in the A-10.  KD seemed to realize that a fast pace is the recipe for success for this team - let's hope he keeps his foot on the pedal.  

Not sure why we did not see more of the bench up 25-30 late.  Im sure getting Dixon, Matus, and Barre more than 2 minutes in that type of game would have gone a long way to keeping them happy.  

2/05/2023 9:29 am  #24

It surely was a big game and win yesterday. What a great win to make my Saturday.  Certainly scoring on all those 3 pointers is a crushing blow to any team, but as has been said it was the defense that really set the tone.  Keep playing that good D  and this team can go far. Clark is always the catalyst for the defense. Two great half's of ball is certainly a recipe for success. 
The next 3 games at home and if we can get on a roll a top 4  finish is within reach. However lets not have any letdowns. Its up tot he coaches to get the most of the guys without any relapses. Every game in this league is a blood bath.  No one is safe from the upsets.
Go Dukes lets get Mason next!

2/05/2023 9:30 am  #25

Styles1229 wrote:

It was a great day to be a Dukes fan for sure.  22 assists on 36 baskets!  The way they kept finding the opn shooter and the open shooter kept knocking down shots was intoxicating.  When Tre plays like that (foul trouble aside) and the outside shots are falling this team is as good as anyone in the A-10.  KD seemed to realize that a fast pace is the recipe for success for this team - let's hope he keeps his foot on the pedal.  

Not sure why we did not see more of the bench up 25-30 late.  Im sure getting Dixon, Matus, and Barre more than 2 minutes in that type of game would have gone a long way to keeping them happy.  

Couldn't agree more with all you've said!! You're never too old to learn a thing or two and hopefully KD will keep the throttle down and continue this style of play. I certainly don't expect to see this kind of shooting in every remaining game so the defensive intensity must continue to show up as well. GO DUKES!

Last edited by El Presidente (2/05/2023 9:37 am)

Board footera