Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2023 5:12 pm  #1

Dukes in 6th place with a good chance of top 4 by tourney time

From 9th to 6th on the biggest A-10 road win, I think, for KD since he got here. KD's team was ready to attack offensively and keep GW trying to catch up all game. The GW game announcer said GW lead every game by half time until the Dukes.  A very big point if accurate,  GW was always in every game early until this one. Tre Williams looks far better in a transition game then depending on him to score inside in half court. Austin comes in to spell the other bigs and does his damage on rebounds.  That change up seemed to disrupt  GW. Austin has done that on a number of times. Anyways, the conf. is tight and just one big road win moved the Duke from 9th and fading to 6th and in great position to finish 4th.   

2/06/2023 1:37 am  #2

Re: Dukes in 6th place with a good chance of top 4 by tourney time

Currently the Dukes are tied for 6th with GW.

1. VCU 9-2
2. SLU 7-3
3. SBU 7-4
3. Dayton 7-4
5. Fordham 6-4
6. Duquesne 5-5
6. GW 5-5
8. SJU 5-6
8. GMU 5-6
8. Richmond 5-6
11. URI 4-6
11. LaSalle 4-6
13. Davidson 4-7
13. UMass 4-7
15. Loyola 2-8

2/06/2023 8:53 am  #3

2/06/2023 1:55 pm  #4

Nice article. Tre should believe at this point. It's a very good sign that he can make that statement at this point in the conf. play.  This last win along with the other big wins this season should give this team the focus to finish this season with a streak. Run the table. That's not a long shot at this point. It just takes the attitude that they can and will beat anyone in this league this season. Confidence is the hidden stat.  

2/06/2023 3:55 pm  #5

Nice kid. Good interview👍Rest up Trey , Oduro of GM is a beast. Go Dukes.

2/06/2023 4:08 pm  #6

How Grant finishes out the season will determine the amount of success Dukes have.If hes hot again shooting the threes , Dukes can win them all.When Dae Dae plays well everybody relaxes and shoots the ball
well and plays with confidence.

2/06/2023 5:09 pm  #7

Dae Dae carried the team in the early going. Still, I think these guys can win with other weapons when Grant is not having a peak game. Clark, Gunn, and QM can score proliferantly. Also, you have to like the Tre Williams interview video. This is a team that really seems to like each other. All those assists in the GW game are a good indicator for the late season and Conference playoffs.

2/07/2023 12:12 am  #8

Duquesne has played 206 unique lineups this season, second most in the A10. They have 8 unique lineups with at least 20 minutes of experience together:
https://twitter.com/A10Stats/status/1622628611088953345

All you on the board are going to love this one. Duquesne has the most half court points per possession in the A10 but actually run in transition more than any other team when they have just the 8th most productive transition offense. Our transition defense is 2nd behind Dayton but our halfcourt defense is 12th!:
https://twitter.com/A10Stats/status/1622648994194128934

2/07/2023 8:11 am  #9

The defense we play will determine how far we go this year.  No use scoring a lot if you give up more points.  The defense is always the key.  Go Dukes!

2/07/2023 9:03 am  #10

FAM wrote:

The defense we play will determine how far we go this year.  No use scoring a lot if you give up more points.  The defense is always the key.  Go Dukes!

I agree to a point.  A factor just as big, if not bigger, is:  where will the scoring come from when the perimeter shooting is cold?  It's clear when the 3's are falling in bunches we can run away with the game.  We've run into trouble finding scoring when that doesn't happen.  Jimmy and Q feel forced to try to go one on one with mostly bad results (Jimmy having better results,) or Tre and Big Joe fail to score from the post missing easy buckets.  It will be up to KD to find those buckets somewhere to keep the opposing runs down.  Dixon has shined at times when no one else could score so he could be an option.  Matus is unproven but should be given some run when we go dreadfully cold as we are apt to do.  

I know conventional wisdom is shooting is contagious but I've never seen a team go hot or cold collectively like these guys.  Seems like either all the shots are falling or none of them are.  Maybe it just seems that way and the numbers don't back that up.

2/07/2023 9:29 am  #11

BluffHunter wrote:

Duquesne has played 206 unique lineups this season, second most in the A10. They have 8 unique lineups with at least 20 minutes of experience together:

All you on the board are going to love this one. Duquesne has the most half court points per possession in the A10 but actually run in transition more than any other team when they have just the 8th most productive transition offense. Our transition defense is 2nd behind Dayton but our halfcourt defense is 12th!:

Great stats. But those stats are a bit deceiving. Take last game for instance, fast pace, maybe as high as 50 percent in transition, but we still had half court sets that worked better in a faster pace game. On the other hand,  our transition defense is good mostly because of the speed of our players to defend on the run.. Also Points scored in half court are still mostly 3's on this team and not in around the rim. As far as 8th in transition offense, take one or two of those really bad games were our shooting percentage was very low we would likely be a bit higher.

2/07/2023 9:14 pm  #12

NapaDuke wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Great stats. But those stats are a bit deceiving. Take last game for instance, fast pace, maybe as high as 50 percent in transition, but we still had half court sets that worked better in a faster pace game. On the other hand,  our transition defense is good mostly because of the speed of our players to defend on the run.. Also Points scored in half court are still mostly 3's on this team and not in around the rim. As far as 8th in transition offense, take one or two of those really bad games were our shooting percentage was very low we would likely be a bit higher.

Are they deceiving? Or do they just not support your claims?

Don’t get me wrong, I think we are at our best when we run as well. But I do see the value in our half court game, especially when I compare with other teams in the league.

2/07/2023 9:46 pm  #13

CityDuke wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I think we are at our best when we run as well. But I do see the value in our half court game, especially when I compare with other teams in the league.

OK, follow this, just a bit. Pushing the action creates confusion, so going on the run to a set half court after running down the court, (not everyone on their defense is set on defensive), thus scoring opportunities. But, walk that BB down the court like the last years half court offense of KD and  and most losses this year. Our opponents  defense is very set for us walking the ball into their set defense and  statistically the Dukes chances of scoring just dropped to 20 percent. Running the entire game negates height and in fact, the fastest team on the court IS then the tallest team when every one is in motion. A very simple fact, teams pushing the pace makes tall slow teams actually the smaller team. Standing still, (like KD's half court) the tallest team standing still is taller, but, if you make them move, they are actually the smaller team. Tallest player in those RE teams was Damien at 6'7" and beat teams with 7 foot centers constantly. This is where we are at this moment. Is it KD's slow half court, or let these very fast kids run. RE got to the A-10 finals, but, if KD let's these kids run, they will win the A-10.

Last edited by NapaDuke (2/08/2023 4:35 am)

2/07/2023 11:29 pm  #14

Damian Sunders is my all-time favorite Duke. He performed wonderfully while being utilized out of position for most of his DU career. This was mostly due to the fact that after Shawn James moved on & Nee's Achara graduated, RE couldn't put any legit, A-10 starter quality bigs on the floor.

Look at the rosters & behold the undersized, outclassed, & very large but very bad band of big players during those years. There were a lot of guards & wings to like but there was no way to win big in the A-10 with Andre Marhold, Ollie Lewinson, Martins Abele, Mamadou Datt, Derrick Martin, David Theis, Rodrigo Peggau, Morakinyo Williams, & Aleksandar Milovich manning the frontcourt. I would say this is the most significant reason RE never got close to getting over the hump permanently. 

I really enjoyed watching BJ Monteiro play but, it was a shame how often he too played under the basket at 6' 5". There was just too much of this during those years.

Also, gimme a break. RE's team's didn't beat any kind of team with any kind of personnel "constantly". That is true whether Saunders was playing or not. Realize that his teams were 10 games over .500 overall in his 6 seasons while also compiling a losing A-10 record. In the A-10 tournamment RE's record was 3-6. All 3 of those wins came in Aaron Jackson's senior year. Perhaps most telling, his record after February 10, for his combined 6 seasons, was 18-41.  Can we please stop acting like this was an age of glory for DU hoops?

The sad truth is that this program has been so bad for so long that 2ish years of being a good A-10 team combined with a cinderella run to an A-10 final has clouded the judgement of the faithful.

Last edited by phil95 (2/07/2023 11:52 pm)

2/07/2023 11:58 pm  #15

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

OK, follow this, just a bit. Pushing the action creates confusion, so going on the run to a set half court after running down the court, (not everyone on their defense is set on defensive), thus scoring opportunities. But, walk that BB down the court like the last years half court offense of KD and  and most losses this year. Our opponents  defense is very set for us walking the ball into their set defense and  statistically the Dukes chances of scoring just dropped to 20 percent. Running the entire game negates height and in fact, the fastest team on the court IS then the tallest team when every one is in motion. A very simple fact, teams pushing the pace makes tall slow teams actually the smaller team. Standing still, (like KD's half court) the tallest team standing still is taller, but, if you make them move, they are actually the smaller team. RE told me that. Tallest player in those RE teams was Damien at 6'7" and beat teams with 7 foot centers constantly. This is where we are at this moment. Is it KD's stuck in the mud half court, or let these very fast kids run. RE got to the A-10 finals, but, if KD let's these kids run, they will win the A-10.

There's a difference between the BS Isolation ball that last year's team played and a real half court offense. Against GW the Dukes were cutting, getting the ball inside out, and even when they switched to a zone we were able to penetrate with passes for a dae dae elbow jumper for example.

2/08/2023 4:25 am  #16

phil95 wrote:

Damian Sunders is my all-time favorite Duke. He performed wonderfully while being utilized out of position for most of his DU career. This was mostly due to the fact that after Shawn James moved on & Nee's Achara graduated, RE couldn't put any legit, A-10 starter quality bigs on the floor.

Look at the rosters & behold the undersized, outclassed, & very large but very bad band of big players during those years. There were a lot of guards & wings to like but there was no way to win big in the A-10 with Andre Marhold, Ollie Lewinson, Martins Abele, Mamadou Datt, Derrick Martin, David Theis, Rodrigo Peggau, Morakinyo Williams, & Aleksandar Milovich manning the frontcourt. I would say this is the most significant reason RE never got close to getting over the hump permanently. 

I really enjoyed watching BJ Monteiro play but, it was a shame how often he too played under the basket at 6' 5". There was just too much of this during those years.

Also, gimme a break. RE's team's didn't beat any kind of team with any kind of personnel "constantly". That is true whether Saunders was playing or not. Realize that his teams were 10 games over .500 overall in his 6 seasons while also compiling a losing A-10 record. In the A-10 tournamment RE's record was 3-6. All 3 of those wins came in Aaron Jackson's senior year. Perhaps most telling, his record after February 10, for his combined 6 seasons, was 18-41.  Can we please stop acting like this was an age of glory for DU hoops?

The sad truth is that this program has been so bad for so long that 2ish years of being a good A-10 team combined with a cinderella run to an A-10 final has clouded the judgement of the faithful.

The year following the A-10 final, when the Dukes had an 11 game winning streak, they beat Dayton in the Consol, running away with it and Dayton had two players at 6'9" and 6' 10" on the court the whole game. Some of the stat guys can check this but in that 11 games streak, I'll bet that all those teams average height was taller than the Dukes. As far as never finding a game-worthy Big since Shawn James, I agree, it's a shame so many scholarships were wasted on "projects" rather than finding just one Big that could come in and keep pace with those teams. And, yes, it's a shame that no other coach at DU  in about 40 years has come close to the A-10 finals. Sad, really. Last year sucked, but this year looks like we can get there.

Last edited by NapaDuke (2/08/2023 4:39 am)

2/09/2023 10:42 am  #17

I have been reading this message board for a few years but have not posted very often.  And I am sure it has never been under the screen name I am using now.  I just wanted to say that it's great to see the Dukes back on the winning track and I hope they can finish strong.  And the game in particular that I would like to see them win is at Saint Louis which I know is not going to be easy.
But I have read their Billikens message board off-and-on for a few years. For some reason, their fans get more riled up about losing to Duquesne than any other A-10 school.  They can't stand Dayton either, but they seem to accept the fact that the Flyers have a better program.  But for some reason. SLU fans think they should beat the Dukes every time they play them and of course we know that has not been the case over the last 10 years. 
Recently, a Dukes fan inadvertently bought tickets online to the SLU game Feb. 16, thinking it was a Dukes home game.  So when he went on their board and offered these tickets to one of their fans for their home game, he got trolled unmercifully.  I swear, it wasn't me who was the recipient of their meanness. I suppose I should not be reading their message board, but oftentimes it can be entertaining because their fans are so full of themselves and their team. 
  The other reason I don't like them is because they complain about Ford when their team under performs and yet they claim he is a much better coach than Dambrot.  For some reason, they think Dambrot is a jerk.  Anyway, I appreciate a forum like this to read once in a while.  I am not a DU grad but two of my best friends are.  My fandom for Duquesne basketball dates back to the Nelson twins and Jarrett Durham because when I was in junior high I began going to Sunday afternoon games at the Civic Arena through a friend's mother who got free tickets for us. She worked at the university. She even gave us free programs which we had to hide under our coats as we walked through the entrance to the game.  Those were the good old days.

2/10/2023 10:47 am  #18

Wear red Saturday.   What a game this is!   Seems like a bigger crowd will be there.   Dukes would do themselves a favor winning this one.   Maybe earn some new fans?   And obviously a solid win in conference against a team  currently above us in the standings, a revenge game of sorts,  and stay in the mix for a double bye.   A year ago it was over already.   Now we have high hopes.   

2/10/2023 12:53 pm  #19

More than 98% of tickets are accounted for the game tomorrow.  If students show up it could be the best atmosphere for a game in a decade.

Board footera