Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2023 6:01 pm  #1

Game Thread - Saint Joseph's University Hawks (H)

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 02/15/2023 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Virtual Game Program: https://indd.adobe.com/view/1119bb42-dd95-4ee1-ac23-2a383e019116

Last Game in Philadelphia 1/11/23: Duquesne 92, St. Joseph's 80

Per KenPom (363 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #106 (17-8; 7-5 A-10) vs St. Joseph's Hawks #191 (13-12; 7-6 A-10)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 8, 77-69 - Dukes with a 77% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=4716

Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #90 vs St. Joseph's #154
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 9, 75.38-66.71
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=5229&tid2=4391&neut=0

Betting line: Dukes are 7½ point favorites; Over/Under 144½
Duquesne 14-11 Against the Spread: St. Joseph's 15-10 ATS

Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/news/2023/2/14/mens-basketball-preview-duquesne-vs-saint-joseph-s.aspx
St. Joseph's Game Notes: https://sjuhawks.com/news/2023/2/14/mens-basketball-starts-two-game-road-trip-on-wednesday-at-duquesne.aspx

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/2023.html
St. Joseph's: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/saint-josephs/men/2023.html

Dukes KenPom Best Wins: VCU (84); UCSB (97); Indiana St. (98); Colgate (110); DePaul (141); Ball St. (142)
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: UMass (204); New Mexico St (193); St. Bonaventure (165); Richmond (148); Fordham (136); Marshall (75); Dayton (70) 
St. Joseph's KenPom Best Wins: Penn (137); George Mason (154); UMass (204); Rhode Island (217); GW (219)
St. Joseph's KenPom Worst Losses: Fairleigh Dickinson (328); La Salle (223); GW (219); South Florida (146) 

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 36.6%, 46 in D-1; Defense 35.2%, 253 in D-1
St. Joseph's 3 Point:  Offense 33.5%, 205 in D-1; Defense 34.5%, 213 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 48.1%, 262 in D-1; Defense 47.1%, 62 in D-1
St. Joseph's 2 Point:  Offense 50.1%, 179 in D-1; Defense 48.7%, 120 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 68.2%, 293 in D-1; Defense 68.2%, 44 in D-1
St. Joseph's FT:  Offense 66.7%, 321 in D-1; Defense 68.6%, 50 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
St. Joseph's Adj Offense Efficiency - 103.2; 215 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 102.4; 119 in D-1
St. Joseph's Adj Defense Efficiency - 104.3; 160 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 108.3; 112 in D-1
St. Joseph's Adj Tempo - 69.5; 73 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 68.0; 146 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
D-1 Experience - St. Joseph's 1.62 yrs; 243 in D-1; Dukes 2.11 yrs; 141 in D-1
Average Height - St. Joseph's 77.2"; 165 in D-1; Dukes 76.0"; 331 in D-1

2/14/2023 9:28 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Saint Joseph's University Hawks (H)

I hope Dukes bring their A game because St.Joes is a much better team than last time we played them.

2/15/2023 8:23 am  #3

Nice slate tonight in the A10, StB at Ford, should be a close one, go Bonnies.
Davidson at StL, Yo Davidson, wear them out, at least!
Our game is the main event I think, 2 hot teams.   
Maybe VCU loses on the road at URI.
The race to Brooklyn is hot!

2/15/2023 10:25 am  #4

Nice article on Duquesne in today’s Pittsburgh Tribune Review.

2/15/2023 11:28 am  #5

FAM wrote:

Nice article on Duquesne in today’s Pittsburgh Tribune Review.

https://triblive.com/sports/commitment-tactical-changes-driving-duquesnes-defensive-improvement/

Thanks Fam here is link
Go Dukes shoot down the Hawks

2/15/2023 12:23 pm  #6

Great leaders have no trouble admitting they are/were wrong. KD just won't do that. When I write that KD is a fine & frequent rhetorician in defense of his own shortcomings, his quotes in press conferences & this article is what I mean.

For 3+ years his crap scheme for blitzing high pick & roll with post players that don't fit that system has had the defense in turmoil screwing up both post coverages & perimeter rotations. A-10 coaches have feasted on KD's stubborn adherence to his hugely flawed defensive system.

Rather than saying he abandoned the outdated principles that made it hard for any group to thrive, he says that they have made subtle tweaks to the system. He also points out the powerful effect of having the slow-of-foot but good-at-rim-protection/physical-post-defense Tre Williams stop chasing guards on the perimeter. The coach finesses this commentary in such a way that avoids his having been responsible for these schematic errors in the first place. (Seeing Rotroff try to thrive in this system was even more painful than watching Tre Williams do the same.)

He also said that the biggest factor in the defensive improvement has been the players "buying-in". Notice that that explanation once again leaves all the blame on someone other than KD. Constant failure in a  broken system tends to deter competitors from buying-in but, according to KD that wasn't any part the problem; it was all on those darn players for not having a high enough commitment level. This is not said but most certainly implied.

Wouldn't it be more honest, admirable, & effective to just say that he made some overdue schematic adjustments & provided specific players with better chances to thrive due to their specific talents/abilities & it led to the players seizing the opportunity to truly buy-in? Admitting that you were wrong & had the character to reevaluate the situation & change would show greater strength than blaming the problems on the players for not buying-in.

I am thrilled with the recent winning streak & am a believer in this group of players. I'll take the wins. I just want to believe that DU has a coach that can actually inspire these & future players to greatness!

Last edited by phil95 (2/15/2023 12:28 pm)

2/15/2023 12:26 pm  #7

Very good & informative article. As this board may know😂 I am a big fan of Cannon & Benz. This article by Benz was not the standard blip which the Trib sports department generally places on line. Benz actually wrote a solid story with quotes. Reminds me of the Mackall days👍Jerry D also does a good job for the Trib. The PG NO. Expect for Paul Z recent article on Dambrot. It’s good to recognize quality journalism. Go Dukes

2/15/2023 12:36 pm  #8

I really enjoy Benz as both a journalist & broadcaster. I am doubtful that DU could do better than him on the ESPN+ games. He offers some serious bang for the buck.

Cannon is just awful in nearly every way on the broadcasts. He doesn’t have the chops as a basketball analyst, his voice is grating, his humor is moronic, he frequently flubs the stats prepared for him, & sometimes seems to be openly advocating against the Dukes.

2/15/2023 12:47 pm  #9

I would not negate the impact that Coach Joyce has had on this program. Truly hoping that he is a part of the Duquesne family for many years to come!

2/15/2023 1:30 pm  #10

phil95 wrote:

Great leaders have no trouble admitting they are/were wrong. KD just won't do that. When I write that KD is a fine & frequent rhetorician in defense of his own shortcomings, his quotes in press conferences & this article is what I mean.

For 3+ years his crap scheme for blitzing high pick & roll with post players that don't fit that system has had the defense in turmoil screwing up both post coverages & perimeter rotations. A-10 coaches have feasted on KD's stubborn adherence to his hugely flawed defensive system.

Rather than saying he abandoned the outdated principles that made it hard for any group to thrive, he says that they have made subtle tweaks to the system. He also points out the powerful effect of having the slow-of-foot but good-at-rim-protection/physical-post-defense Tre Williams stop chasing guards on the perimeter. The coach finesses this commentary in such a way that avoids his having been responsible for these schematic errors in the first place. (Seeing Rotroff try to thrive in this system was even more painful than watching Tre Williams do the same.)

He also said that the biggest factor in the defensive improvement has been the players "buying-in". Notice that that explanation once again leaves all the blame on someone other than KD. Constant failure in a  broken system tends to deter competitors from buying-in but, according to KD that wasn't any part the problem; it was all on those darn players for not having a high enough commitment level. This is not said but most certainly implied.

Wouldn't it be more honest, admirable, & effective to just say that he made some overdue schematic adjustments & provided specific players with better chances to thrive due to their specific talents/abilities & it led to the players seizing the opportunity to truly buy-in? Admitting that you were wrong & had the character to reevaluate the situation & change would show greater strength than blaming the problems on the players for not buying-in.

I am thrilled with the recent winning streak & am a believer in this group of players. I'll take the wins. I just want to believe that DU has a coach that can actually inspire these & future players to greatness!

Phil, we are playing great defense. Smile. Dambrot is not the devil. The sun is shining, and it is a Dukes gameday! Let’s beat these Hawks.

2/15/2023 1:52 pm  #11

phil95 wrote:

He also said that the biggest factor in the defensive improvement has been the players "buying-in". Notice that that explanation once again leaves all the blame on someone other than KD. Constant failure in a broken system tends to deter competitors from buying-in but, according to KD that wasn't any part the problem; it was all on those darn players for not having a high enough commitment level. This is not said but most certainly implied.

Very perceptive observation. I agree that KD's approach to defense recently has some changes and it's not the players not buying in either.  But it has improved and I think that Coach Joyce may have contributed to those changes. I hope to see good D the rest of the season. Then this team could win it all.

2/15/2023 1:53 pm  #12

El Presidente wrote:

I would not negate the impact that Coach Joyce has had on this program. Truly hoping that he is a part of the Duquesne family for many years to come!

I'm beginning to hope he is the next Head Coach down the line. LOL.

2/15/2023 3:25 pm  #13

My gut says that is the hope and plan

2/15/2023 4:34 pm  #14

I think Joyce will be the next head coach and he may bring
Bronny and Bry.
I saw he shared the post game with KD after the SBU.
I think it is a sign he is being groomed as the next head coach.

2/15/2023 7:56 pm  #15

Good half. Hope Dixon's just tweaked something. 

2/15/2023 8:01 pm  #16

Did I miss an announcement about Hronsky. I don't see him on the bench?

2/15/2023 8:13 pm  #17

They said on the broadcast that Hronsky is sick. It’s a shame too because they also mentioned that his family is in town from Slovakia.

2/15/2023 9:04 pm  #18

phil95 wrote:

I really enjoy Benz as both a journalist & broadcaster. I am doubtful that DU could do better than him on the ESPN+ games. He offers some serious bang for the buck.

Cannon is just awful in nearly every way on the broadcasts. He doesn’t have the chops as a basketball analyst, his voice is grating, his humor is moronic, he frequently flubs the stats prepared for him, & sometimes seems to be openly advocating against the Dukes.

The last part of your comment about Cannon was really pronounced tonight. He sounded like a St. Joe's home announcer - repeatedly.

2/15/2023 9:20 pm  #19

applecorps wrote:

phil95 wrote:

The last part of your comment about Cannon was really pronounced tonight. He sounded like a St. Joe's home announcer - repeatedly.

`How about the 30 second s of commentary he gave toward the end of tonight's game pointing out that Pitt's young PG is also becoming more of a scorer just like St. Joe's Greer has over the last 5 games? Even Tin Benz was lost in that tangent.

2/15/2023 10:01 pm  #20

Nice win. Looked like Dae Dae ran some point tonight and Brewer shot more. Also Brewer and Rozier both in at times together. Nice moves, seems to confuse their defense just a bit. Late game double up to trap the Dukes never works and leaves us with an easy basket at times in the second half. Very solid win. Let's hope we take down St.l. on Sat. then this team is really in good position for a bye.

2/15/2023 10:10 pm  #21

If I missed it my comment was about the tremendous steal that Dixon made to get a layup before he was hurt. Reminded me of Michael Hughes

2/15/2023 10:16 pm  #22

1111 Vickroy wrote:

If I missed it my comment was about the tremendous steal that Dixon made to get a layup before he was hurt. Reminded me of Michael Hughes

Yea, I thought he must be hurting that he limped out of the game to the trainers, but was on the bench in the second half. I hope it's nothing big. Dixon has great potential the rest of this year and next here.

2/15/2023 11:15 pm  #23

St. Joes came in here and I thought it would be close but the Dukes are a very good team when the shots are falling and the defense has been so good.Just very impressive performance.

2/15/2023 11:20 pm  #24

Dru Joyce will be the next head basketball coach at Duquesne when KD retires,no doubt about that.

2/15/2023 11:45 pm  #25

Greatest play of the game? I would give that to Jimmy Clark on the incredible steal, pivot and pass to QM for the jam that ended the first half. 

Last edited by applecorps (2/15/2023 11:45 pm)

Board footera