Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2023 11:51 pm  #26

Re: Dambrot’s Bold Turnaround at Duquesne Deserves More Attention

grammudder wrote:

Just when I thought Ritter's Diner was gone for good, he/she came back as conjoined twins.  ..

Laughed out loud at that one. Good one

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/18/2023 9:03 am  #27

The one thing the people on this board have in common is that we are all diehard Duquesne basketball fans. I’ve been reading these posts for several years before joining myself. It’s been decades since many of us have seen a team with the potential to make it to the A10 championship and potentially tournament. These players are functioning as a team and getting better as the season progresses. Let’s put our energy into supporting them and a strong finish to the season.

2/18/2023 9:13 am  #28

You have to love your team like an adult loves somebody, not like a child loves its mommy. And some posters tend to love the Dukes like a child loves its mommy, where everything Mommy does is okay. But adult love means you're not in denial, and you want the loved one to be the best they can be.

I'm paraphrasing a political pundit but I feel it applies here.

Last edited by Styles1229 (2/18/2023 9:14 am)

2/18/2023 10:04 am  #29

phil95 wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

CLK I too am just enjoying the ride this year and want to see it keep going. I appreciate City Dukes view, while also respecting that Wildwood 13 knows Bball (I know this to be true) and does focus on facts to express his views in a courteous way. I like to look at the glass half full and have always been an upbeat positive person so I choose to look forward not back as it is more exciting and healthy - at least for me. Phil you are entitled to your opinions and I don't disagree with some of your comparable facts, but it just seems reliving last year repetitively can't be enjoyable for you, can it?

My main point was that the article I was commenting on was jammed with provable falsehoods and either wild conjecture by the author or that author was fed, off the record, the idea that all of the players on last year's team were impossible to coach. That didn't happen last year. It happened this week. Why is that ok?

Did I go a little heavy on the KD criticism in demonstrating that this was not a "great" article? Sure. My bad.

Am I "constantly" negative? Read a bunch of my posts & you will find that not to be true. That includes the post you are commenting on.

I don't know KD the person & don't expect to. I know him as a public figure & the coach of my favorite college basketball team. In that role I find him very unlikable & thus far, largely ineffective. Isn't that the kind of thing this message board is for commenting on?

While those who have a different points of view than mine can expect me to occasionally offer an alternative opinion, they sure as hell won't catch me writing something about them seeking "vengeance" against the coach (City Duke) or questioning my interest in the team by referring to me as a "fan" channeling my "unredemptive hate" to derail the train of the team's recent success.

Yep, CLK you have me nailed dead-to-rights. I am actively trying to sabotage Duquesne basketball. That's quite an accusation. I thought we didn't do personal attacks on this board. What would you call those nasty things you wrote? Are you going to say that you didn't name names so your thinly veiled attack post wasn't referring to me?

Now, will you admit you went too far in belittling my fandom because it is not the same as yours & insinuating that I am actively trying to harm the program or will you just kill this post and/or ban me from the board?

I am happy to kiss & make up if you are.

First let me say I was not only referring to you about you in my comment. It was a general observation about the constant negative comments on this board, and the fixation on the miseries of last year.  Secondly, there is a difference between valid criticism of a coach's performance verses attacks on his character.  I have said this in the past, that you are one of the more basketball knowledgeable posters, however, your comments and characterizations sometime cross the line.   Finally, I am not looking to delete posts or ban anyone, but there are limits. 

2/18/2023 10:42 am  #30

I learn from the posts and observations that others make on this board.
There are times when others post things that I comment on such as not dwelling on KD’s worst season since Central Michigan.  To be honest, that team lacked chemistry and was a selfish team.  KD’s teams are usually the opposite. He had no time for them to adjust to his demands since the portal era didn’t allow it.

Had Sincere and the gang that KD built been able to play in the cancelled tournament they could have gone far but that’s all woulda, coulda, shoulda now.  Who knows, winning it or coming close could have kept them together.

KD took that season and learned from it.   He finally got the team back to where RE had it and beyond. He recruited for talent AND attitude for this year’s team.

Duquesne had two big setbacks- firing RE and then realizing they had nobody CLOSE to RE to replace him and the Covid curse coming right when we had a team to win it all.

KD has taken all the hits and still wins.  He accepts nothing less from himself.

When I defend him against others who want to dwell on last year, I’m not shooting people in the ass… I’m trying to get them to realize that in the big picture history of Duquesne basketball, KD and RE both built winners and should have been and should be appreciated and be allowed to have an off season.

I’m enjoying this board and this season immensely!

Last edited by coffee (2/18/2023 10:51 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/18/2023 12:48 pm  #31

Coffee that 2019 team started out 10-0 versus a really easy non conference schedule. They finished 11-9, 11-7 in conference for fifth place. I really don’t believe they would have gotten by that powerful Dayton team or have gone to any tournaments because of their strength of schedule. I know it’s in the past and talking about the past upsets some people. But the same core of players came back the following year and finished 9-9. I am really not sure how much COVID wrecked them as all teams dealt with that debacle. I want the Dukes to prove me wrong but I am still skeptical.

2/18/2023 1:32 pm  #32

coffee wrote:

I learn from the posts and observations that others make on this board.
There are times when others post things that I comment on such as not dwelling on KD’s worst season since Central Michigan.  To be honest, that team lacked chemistry and was a selfish team.  KD’s teams are usually the opposite. He had no time for them to adjust to his demands since the portal era didn’t allow it.

Had Sincere and the gang that KD built been able to play in the cancelled tournament they could have gone far but that’s all woulda, coulda, shoulda now.  Who knows, winning it or coming close could have kept them together.

KD took that season and learned from it.   He finally got the team back to where RE had it and beyond. He recruited for talent AND attitude for this year’s team.

Duquesne had two big setbacks- firing RE and then realizing they had nobody CLOSE to RE to replace him and the Covid curse coming right when we had a team to win it all.

KD has taken all the hits and still wins.  He accepts nothing less from himself.

When I defend him against others who want to dwell on last year, I’m not shooting people in the ass… I’m trying to get them to realize that in the big picture history of Duquesne basketball, KD and RE both built winners and should have been and should be appreciated and be allowed to have an off season.

I’m enjoying this board and this season immensely!

Well said Coffee

Board footera