Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2023 11:15 am  #76

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis University Billikens

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Ray, after checking the stats like you asked, this is what I have found. According to the +/-, Brewer had a -13 and Rozier had a +7.

More interesting numbers for the rest of us. While it felt like they killed us in transition, they had 17 fast break points to our 16. It wasn’t even the second chance points that really killed us. They had 20 to our 11.

Hard not to love the fight from our Dukes. We dared Jimerson to beat us on the dribble and he was up for the challenge. Also, some of their other guys (Hughes and Pickett) made some big time shots that normally don’t. SLU have to feel like they got away with one tonight.

Jimerson should never beat you on the dribble, unless you are flat footed. Give me a source for those stats please as the eye test showed different. St. Louis had 30 layups tonight. No team wins with that defenseless effort. The only reason the Dukes stuck around was because of their 3 point shooting which won't get any better than that, but they still lost. 90 points allowed against USL? Really? When was the last time USL scored that many in an A-10 game? I don't fault the players and effort I fault the system and substitution patterns. Should have pressed early and often when up by double figures. Played right into their hands. Like I told my wife Diane, Dambrot is keeping USL around by not pressing. She agreed. Not rocket science. When it was a fifteen point game and they went into their halfcourt offense I said to Diane it will be a one point game by half. Was a point off. Hope i'm wrong, but this guy will ever take this program to an NIT bid let alone an NCAA bid. I do believe Joyce would be a great replacement though. 

And Joyce did what?????

2/21/2023 12:19 pm  #77

I would imagine as an assistant coach, Joyce does what he's told to do. Does that make any sense?

2/21/2023 4:59 pm  #78

DennisC91 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

...As for a double bye, good or not, it didn't work for RE as his 4th place team lost to St.Joe, one and done. And it could work better to play 2 games to lesser team before getting the top teams on that court.  Playing time like that can work in the Dukes favor with a deep bench. In any case, it's nice to see this team late in the season still relevant.  

With the way the tournament is scheduled this year, I'm not sure the double-bye is as big an advantage as it has been in past years. It'll be an advantage on Day 3, when the top 4 play four teams that played the day before. But then everyone gets a day off on Day 4 (Friday) with the semifinals Saturday and finals Sunday. Not sure why the A10 chose to do it that way, but they did,

Day 1 (Tuesday, March 7): Bottom six seeds play off against each other (10 vs. 15, 11 vs. 14, 12 vs. 13)
Day 2 (Wednesday, March 8): 5, 6 and 7 seeds play the winners of Day 1 and 8 vs. 9.
Day 3 (Thursday, March 9): Quarterfinals: Seeds 1-4 play the winners of Day 2.
Day 4 (Friday, March 10): Practice/Media Day, no games
Day 5 (Saturday, March 11) Semifinals
Day 6 (Sunday, March 12) Finals

Why did the A-10 schedule things with a break?  I would guess that it is understood that a team that finished mid-pack should not have to play 4 days in a row to win the championship.  It's five days in a row for teams in the lower ranks. It may be an extra night in a hotel for fans that want to see the entire playoffs, but I would guess there are not that many non-locals that would do that anyway.

Last edited by applecorps (2/21/2023 5:00 pm)

Board footera