Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2023 6:33 pm  #1

Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

2:00pm EST tip on Saturday 03/04/2023 at the Rose Hill Gym, Bronx, NY

Previous Meeting at Duquesne on 1/21/23 - Fordham 65 - Dukes 58

Per KenPom (363 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #103 (20-10; 10-7 A-10) vs Fordham University Rams #149 (23-7; 11-6 A-10)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 1, 74-73 - Dukes with a 50% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=5486

Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #93 vs Fordham #131
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 1, 71.36-70.62
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=4483&neut=0

Betting line: Dukes are 1 point underdogs; Over/Under 146½
Duquesne 17-13 Against the Spread: Fordham 18-11-1 ATS

Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/news/2023/3/3/mens-basketball-preview-duquesne-at-fordham.aspx
Fordham Game Notes: https://fordhamsports.com/sports/mens-basketball

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2023.html
Fordham: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/fordham/men/2023.html

Dukes KenPom Best Wins: VCU (74); Indiana St. (95); UCSB (113); Colgate (114); George Mason (137); DePaul (151); Ball St. (153); Montana (156)
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: UMass (199); New Mexico St (187); St. Bonaventure (185); Richmond (170); Fordham (149); Davidson (146); Saint Louis (104); Marshall (79); Dayton (69)
Fordham KenPom Best Wins: Tulane (94); Duquesne (103); Saint Louis (104); Davidson (146); Harvard (163)
Fordham KenPom Worst Losses: Rhode Island (236); Richmond (170); Davidson (146); George Mason (136)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 37.4%, 31 in D-1; Defense 34.9%, 237 in D-1
Fordham 3 Point:  Offense 31.6%, 232 in D-1; Defense 33.1%, 121 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 49.1%, 234 in D-1; Defense 48.5%, 99 in D-1
Fordham 2 Point:  Offense 48.5%, 250 in D-1; Defense 45.9%, 27 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 69.3%, 269 in D-1; Defense 68.4%, 39 in D-1
Fordham FT:  Offense 74.8%, 66 in D-1; Defense 73.5%, 276 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Fordham Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.9; 232 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 103.9; 136 in D-1
Fordham Adj Defense Efficiency - 101.3; 91 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 110.1; 92 in D-1
Fordham Adj Tempo - 69.9; 54 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 68.3; 141 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
D-1 Experience - Fordham 2.44 yrs; 80 in D-1; Dukes 2.14 yrs; 135 in D-1
Average Height - Fordham 77.5"; 114 in D-1; Dukes 76.0"; 332 in D-1

3/03/2023 11:32 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Thanks Phoenix. Haslametrics and KenPom put the NET rankings to shame, especially the former.

3/04/2023 6:06 am  #3

This game is for the double bye thanks to the SLU win last night. Fordham wants to make this a rock fight - a slow paced, physical, ugly game. Two players will be key for the Dukes - Dixon and McGriff - since they add athleticism to our lineup. Obviously, we must make some threes and try to up the tempo. We win a game in the mid to high 60s, I would think. In the 50s, I don’t know. Biggest regular season A10 game we have played in a long while. Go Dukes! Beat Fordham!

3/04/2023 6:58 am  #4

I hope the team isn’t putting as much pressure on this game as we are. Yes, it feels like a HUGEgame. Yes, a double bye would be nice, but it certainly isn’t the end all be all. This team is at its best when we are playing loose. I hope we let our hair down and have fun in this one. Enjoy the moment, enjoy the opportunity, and beat a team that we owe revenge. Go Dukes!

3/04/2023 8:55 am  #5

I know, as fans, we expect the Dukes to come out and lay an egg in this situation.  Sure, we are optimistic.  Sure we want them to win and believe they can win but, as Dukes fans, deep down, if we are being honest, we expect them to lose this one.  But consider this:  IT'S FORDHAM!  I don't care what their record is.  IT'S FORDHAM!  If there is any team in the A-10 less prepared than the Dukes to win a meaningful game IT'S FORDHAM!  We don't have to beat Richmond, or Dayton, or VCU, or even George Washington to get 4th place and the double bye - we have to beat FORDHAM!  I think we go out there today at 2pm and blown their doors clean off!  We reaffirm the natural order of things!  Fordham is the Beechview to our Dormont!  the Mt Oliver to our Carrick.  The Sharpsburg to our Aspinwall.  No matter how bad it has been for the Dukes in the A-10, at least we've always had Fordham to kick around.

3/04/2023 8:55 am  #6

CityDuke wrote:

I hope the team isn’t putting as much pressure on this game as we are. Yes, it feels like a HUGEgame. Yes, a double bye would be nice, but it certainly isn’t the end all be all. This team is at its best when we are playing loose. I hope we let our hair down and have fun in this one. Enjoy the moment, enjoy the opportunity, and beat a team that we owe revenge. Go Dukes!

Are you kidding me ? Put too much pressure on college kids to win a game. This is the perfect scenario for you to prepare for the one and done upcoming tournament. Prepare mentally and physically and let the chips fall. Attack their weaknesses and play to our strengths, stay away from our weaknesses and stay away from their strengths. After 30 games the coaching staff should be aware of these tendencies. When competing at a top level, you better be prepared  to pressure yourself to perform at this level or otherwise go home. No it’s not the end of the world, if you are prepared and perform and still come up short, that’s ok because you gave it all mentally and physically.

3/04/2023 9:21 am  #7

Wildwood13 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Are you kidding me ? Put too much pressure on college kids to win a game. This is the perfect scenario for you to prepare for the one and done upcoming tournament. Prepare mentally and physically and let the chips fall. Attack their weaknesses and play to our strengths, stay away from our weaknesses and stay away from their strengths. After 30 games the coaching staff should be aware of these tendencies. When competing at a top level, you better be prepared to pressure yourself to perform at this level or otherwise go home. No it’s not the end of the world, if you are prepared and perform and still come up short, that’s ok because you gave it all mentally and physically.

I understand both perspectives, but feeling too much pressure is the thing that makes those 3-pointers and driving layups hit the back iron. Confidence is paramount. We have seen the difference when our long-shooters have that. 

3/04/2023 9:55 am  #8

This has to be one of very few games this year where our opponent has more D-1 experience than we do.  As far as worrying about putting too much pressure on the players to win, I hope the Dukes play with confidence knowing thay are more athletic and deeper than the Rams.  What could be more fun than executing a game plan aimed at playing to our strengths?  Let our Dukes enjoy the regualr season finale by showing they have learned from the experience of playing "Fordham's game" back in January. Fordham is tall and experienced, but Duquesne has better talent.  We can win this one!

3/04/2023 10:05 am  #9

Us fans always put pressure on these types of games. That is natural. I was speaking about within the team internally (coaching staff and players). I hope they do not view this game the same way a lot of us might and just play loose and enjoy it.

Last edited by CityDuke (3/04/2023 10:12 am)

3/04/2023 10:46 am  #10

What's the worst case scenario?  If they don't win, they still get one bye.  Go Dukes!

3/04/2023 10:55 am  #11

https://twitter.com/hoopsnut351/status/1632018058700005376

Tristan Freeman
@hoopsnut351
·
1h
The game between Duquesne and Fordham is huge for obvious reasons but Dukes could finish anywhere between 4-7 today.

4 seed with a Fordham W

5 seed with Fordham L and both GMU/GW lose

6 seed with Fordham L and either GMU/GW win

7 seed with Fordham L and both GMU/GW win

3/04/2023 10:59 am  #12

As much as Id like a victory today I look at Fordham clobbering the Dukes with that suffocating defense and 
physical play around the bucket.Hope the Dukes let RJ sit this one out.Hes had only one outstanding game
against St. Joes .Doesnt excel rebounding or playing defense.Play Dixon.

3/04/2023 11:17 am  #13

stew wrote:

As much as Id like a victory today I look at Fordham clobbering the Dukes with that suffocating defense and 
physical play around the bucket.Hope the Dukes let RJ sit this one out.Hes had only one outstanding game
against St. Joes .Doesnt excel rebounding or playing defense.Play Dixon.

I think Gunn is of utmost importance today. A good game from him helps us dramatically. Gunn is a four that stretches the floor, meaning that Fordham cannot play that weird I-formation defense with their bigs when he is in the game. When we play with Williams at the 4, they are able to zone with their two bigs in the paint and play man on our three perimeter guys. If Gunn has a good shooting day today, I think we win by double digits.

3/04/2023 11:24 am  #14

I hope you are right City Duke .

3/04/2023 12:17 pm  #15

I truly believe that Dixon could be a difference maker today if he only gets a chance to get on the floor for 15 or 20 minutes. That being said, we need to have some threes drop today also if we're going to have a chance in this one. Play uptempo vs half court as well. What are the odds that all this happens today?  GO DUKES!!

3/04/2023 12:33 pm  #16

El Presidente wrote:

I truly believe that Dixon could be a difference maker today if he only gets a chance to get on the floor for 15 or 20 minutes. That being said, we need to have some threes drop today also if we're going to have a chance in this one. Play uptempo vs half court as well. What are the odds that all this happens today?  GO DUKES!!

Good call. This is a bad matchup for Tre Williams; Fordham will not allow him to put the ball on the floor and back down. Dixon’s athleticism and movement should give the Dukes an advantage.

Hopefully this will be a well officiated game; can’t allow this one to turn into a brawl.

3/04/2023 1:49 pm  #17

G Mason up 15 in 2nd half.

Mason won by 2.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/04/2023 2:51 pm)

3/04/2023 2:44 pm  #18

That scuffle doesn’t happen if they call the 1) jumpball 2) travel on Quisenberry or 3) the hook on Quisenberry.

Not surprising that they missed all three, I don’t know why I always have such high hopes for the officiating for a decently called game. This now makes it 13 free throws to 2. Surprise, surprise…

Last edited by CityDuke (3/04/2023 2:45 pm)

3/04/2023 2:49 pm  #19

We just got hosed.

3/04/2023 2:49 pm  #20

That was such BS it made me reset my password just to come on here and say so. And these announcers? Holy smokes are they poor.

Last edited by Ifky 07 (3/04/2023 2:50 pm)

3/04/2023 2:54 pm  #21

Offensive foul on Tre Williams on one end. Then Moore does the same thing to Grant and refs swallow their whistles. Get a T Dambrot. I am sick of this. 14 to 2 free throws.

3/04/2023 2:55 pm  #22

It was 25-20 us at one point.  Its over.  Its like 10 v 5 today.  Wish our lame students showed up like theirs once in a while.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/04/2023 2:56 pm)

3/04/2023 2:59 pm  #23

Even with their team getting every call, these two game-callers are crying constantly.

3/04/2023 3:01 pm  #24

CityDuke wrote:

Offensive foul on Tre Williams on one end. Then Moore does the same thing to Grant and refs swallow their whistles. Get a T Dambrot. I am sick of this. 14 to 2 free throws.

Why isn't Dixon or Austin  in there instead of Williams. That should have been a double technical, not so one sided. Too many calls are one-sided in this game. . 

3/04/2023 3:02 pm  #25

What a complete disaster that first half was. Looks like Bye Bye Double Bye. I know that no road game in the A-10 is easy, but this is ridiculous!

Board footera