Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing


UPCOMING GAMES:
Wednesday, February 28: LaSalle @ Duquesne 7:00 PM
Saturday, March 2: Duquesne @ George Mason. 2:00 PM
Tuesday, March 5: Duquesne @ VCU. 7:00 PM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



3/04/2023 5:12 pm  #51


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

stew wrote:

As much as Id like a victory today I look at Fordham clobbering the Dukes with that suffocating defense and 
physical play around the bucket.Hope the Dukes let RJ sit this one out.Hes had only one outstanding game
against St. Joes .Doesnt excel rebounding or playing defense.Play Dixon.

And the award for most prescient post this week goes to...stew!

 

3/04/2023 5:19 pm  #52


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

When you lose to Fordham by 27 points I would say Duquesne is light years away from being a contender.
The A10 bottom teams were so bad this year,Duquesne fans sniffing for any kind of glory were misled once
again.

 

3/04/2023 5:21 pm  #53


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

stew wrote:

When you lose to Fordham by 27 points I would say Duquesne is light years away from being a contender.
The A10 bottom teams were so bad this year,Duquesne fans sniffing for any kind of glory were misled once
again.

Totally agree.

 

3/04/2023 5:50 pm  #54


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

FAM wrote:

Thoughts… going out on limb here before the game is over…
-they are better than us and play better defense than us…
-we aren’t getting smashed because of the officials
-we better hope someone beats them in the A-10before we have to play them because they Will beat us 3 times
- George Mason is peaking and will be the tough out
-If we don’t get to the finals no NIT or NCAA again

Thanks for this. It saved me some typing. I concur with every point.

I am happy with the comeback from last year & the 20 wins. I am desperate for 5-6 major players to return next season. I still have no confidence that KD will ever make this program a consistent winner of significant games & championships.

 

3/04/2023 5:53 pm  #55


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

CityDuke wrote:

Tony84 wrote:

I appreciate your optimism, City, regarding a 3rd meeting, but honestly, what are you seeing that suggests we can handle them in a 3rd try on a neutral court?  Heck, right now I am worried w'll be one and done after this beatdown.

The first 37 minutes of the first matchup and the first 13 of this one. Wish we didn’t crumble today, but I really have a hard time blaming them this time. We have been ridiculously resilient all year in these situations, but a 7 point possession and a 14 to 2 free throw discrepancy was the straw that broke the camels back. Emotions are amplified in meaningful games as well. Was just too much for us today. I would LOVE to see them again.

Thanks for your perspective there, City.  I'm now convinced this team is just a bit better than mediocre. I hope we get a 3rd match up with them also, but I bet Fordham would LOVE to face the Dukes as well. let's hope we get that far.

 

3/04/2023 6:02 pm  #56


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

City Duke your constant complaining about the referees is old. I myself am a referee of thirty years. You get evaluated on a regular basis on your job performance. In big games there is pressure to perform at a high level. Yes, pressure, doesn’t mean freeze up or feel the pressure, it means to be ready. Are you going to miss calls, of course, your line of vision occasionally gets blocked by a player, you may also be looking at some activity of players jostling, but never do you intentionally call plays to hurt another team. You won’t be working long as a referee if you are being bias. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Dukes, but your opinion is very clouded. Now, I am looking for grandmudder to start calling people Ritters Diner that are upset with todays outcome.  I myself did not watch todays game, so I have no opinion but to say we should not get destroyed by Fordham.
People on this board that staunchly support Dambrot, don’t realize our out conference schedule and the A10 itself is the worst in existence of DU basketball. Thus making these 20 win seasons fool some people into thinking we turned the corner.
Dambrot can recruit Mid American type of players, this is evident on how many of our former players are presently performing in that conference. He can definitely coach in the Mid American conference by evidence of him having 500 victories. But this is not the Mid American conference, it’s the A10, a step above, even in the down years.
I know basketball from many different viewpoints, player, coach, referee, and parent of players. This guy is a good coach at a lower level, not the A10. He hasn’t won a games he wasn’t supposed to in his entire career at DU. I have seen his preparation, his in game coaching, and his relationships with his players. At this level he is fair at best. At a lower level he is good. Fordham has now passed us, it won’t be long before a few other programs pass us as well. The mainstays of Dayton, VCU and St Louis will always be above us. (I realize we beat VCU at home this year, but they are young and will occasionally have a misstep) Us on the other hand will be mid pack at best under Dambrot. I get teased all the time for being a Dukes fan and I will not relent. But I do know when someone is over his head and unfortunately Dambrot is over his head as well as his staff. If Duquesne can’t make a move during the down ridden years of the A10, I ask myself, will it ever happen.

 

3/04/2023 6:16 pm  #57


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Please explain to why this team had experienced no actual success under Dambrot but his protégé already seems to be anointed the successor     

This would be classic Duquesne.   Yes, I believe he will be announced as the successor a week after we lose on Wednesday.

 

3/04/2023 6:19 pm  #58


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Tony84 wrote:

I hope we get a 3rd match up with them also, but I bet Fordham would LOVE to face the Dukes as well. let's hope we get that far.

VCU pulling away from GW, so looks like you'll get your wish. Unless I'm screwing up the tiebreakers, Dukes would be 6th and would draw Fordham in quarterfinals if they win Wednesday. If Davidson wins tonight, we get the LaSalle-Rhode Island winner in the second round. If Davidson loses, we get the Richmond-Rhode Island winner. I think...
 

 

3/04/2023 6:33 pm  #59


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

DuqBlue wrote:

Please explain to why this team had experienced no actual success under Dambrot but his protégé already seems to be anointed the successor     

This would be classic Duquesne.   Yes, I believe he will be announced as the successor a week after we lose on Wednesday.

DuqBlue, I couldn’t agree with you more. What has this guy accomplished. We need a guy from the east coast that has some connections. Forget about these Ohio connections. Move forward to a young energetic coach that players like and want to play for their entire career.

 

3/04/2023 6:45 pm  #60


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Wildwood13 wrote:

City Duke your constant complaining about the referees is old. I myself am a referee of thirty years. You get evaluated on a regular basis on your job performance. In big games there is pressure to perform at a high level. Yes, pressure, doesn’t mean freeze up or feel the pressure, it means to be ready. Are you going to miss calls, of course, your line of vision occasionally gets blocked by a player, you may also be looking at some activity of players jostling, but never do you intentionally call plays to hurt another team. You won’t be working long as a referee if you are being bias. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Dukes, but your opinion is very clouded. Now, I am looking for grandmudder to start calling people Ritters Diner that are upset with todays outcome.  I myself did not watch todays game, so I have no opinion but to say we should not get destroyed by Fordham.
People on this board that staunchly support Dambrot, don’t realize our out conference schedule and the A10 itself is the worst in existence of DU basketball. Thus making these 20 win seasons fool some people into thinking we turned the corner.
Dambrot can recruit Mid American type of players, this is evident on how many of our former players are presently performing in that conference. He can definitely coach in the Mid American conference by evidence of him having 500 victories. But this is not the Mid American conference, it’s the A10, a step above, even in the down years.
I know basketball from many different viewpoints, player, coach, referee, and parent of players. This guy is a good coach at a lower level, not the A10. He hasn’t won a games he wasn’t supposed to in his entire career at DU. I have seen his preparation, his in game coaching, and his relationships with his players. At this level he is fair at best. At a lower level he is good. Fordham has now passed us, it won’t be long before a few other programs pass us as well. The mainstays of Dayton, VCU and St Louis will always be above us. (I realize we beat VCU at home this year, but they are young and will occasionally have a misstep) Us on the other hand will be mid pack at best under Dambrot. I get teased all the time for being a Dukes fan and I will not relent. But I do know when someone is over his head and unfortunately Dambrot is over his head as well as his staff. If Duquesne can’t make a move during the down ridden years of the A10, I ask myself, will it ever happen.

Thanks for the feedback my friend. I’d encourage you to watch the game before sharing your opinion on my opinion. It may hold a little more weight.  Your perspective on our head coach may hold a little more weight as well if you tuned into the games. I will not argue with you because clearly your mind is made up, but to say that Dambrot has never won a game that he shouldn’t have is wild. And then disregarding our VCU win this year simply because they are “young and will have an occasional misstep” but then never giving your own team or coach that same benefit of the doubt (in different regards of course as we are older). Seems strange. I might be an overly positive fan, but the more I’m on this board the more i see how much I would rather be overly positive than self-deprecating and unrealistic.

 

3/04/2023 6:50 pm  #61


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Offensive foul on Tre Williams on one end. Then Moore does the same thing to Grant and refs swallow their whistles. Get a T Dambrot. I am sick of this. 14 to 2 free throws.

Why isn't Dixon or Austin  in there instead of Williams. That should have been a double technical, not so one sided. Too many calls are one-sided in this game. . 

I don't understand that either. Dixon was amazing on some of those high post screens in the early first half!
 


Habemus victus Richmond, et Bonnies et Dayton.
Nunc vincere Atlanticum 10
 

3/04/2023 7:05 pm  #62


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Yeah... Dukes suck... 20 wins and 10 in conference it terrible progress after last season. 

Fire Dambrot just like we fired the last coach who won 20 at Duquesne.   

There are so many coaches out there dying to take this job. 

Maybe we can talk Ferry into coming back!

Honestly... quit the whining... suck it up and stop thinking we have to win them all in a competitive conference.  Remember we were picked last but kicked some ass including VCU.

How many of you would turn down 6th place and playing for a double bye in our last game at the start of this season?

Win a couple in the tournament and all you whiners will be fans again.

Last edited by coffee (3/04/2023 7:11 pm)


COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything
 

3/04/2023 7:13 pm  #63


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Fordham is the better team. Not 27 points better, but better. The better team usually wins. That’s not being out-coached. That’s the better team winning. Duquesne can beat Fordham. But would have to play much better than it did at anytime today. Even early. The officiating did not cost Duquesne the game. The team’s play cost it any chance at winning. But officiating can and often does affect the outcome. Refs do not intentionally favor a team.  But sometimes their proclivities do. Teams have to adjust to how a game is being called. If they can. Today, I think the game was called differently after the T. The crowd got into it and close calls seemed to go against the Dukes.  Part of that was the Dukes desperate and poor play. But part seemed to be the refs. Whether they got caught up in the momentum swing, like at Richmond. Or wanted to control the game so nothing else happened, it seemed to change. It’s not deliberate bias. But it seems to happen. Better teams find ways to overcome. The Dukes didn’t and got blown out by a better team. 

 

3/04/2023 7:17 pm  #64


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

I think a lot of you raise good points.  City Duke I do think there should have been a double technical on the Gunn play for the Fordham player that bumped him in the back, but let me also say the officials don't really lose a game for any team.  The 7 point technical turned the game and we never recovered. What a dumbo play by RJG.  Moreover, KD does need to go nuts once in while to draw the officials attention to the disparity that exists on the number of fouls called and the missed calls.  Now all of that being said, we should have been up even more when Fordham cut down our 8 point first half lead.  Why do I say this, because Williams, and Reece to a degree, missed several 1" shots in a row.  I mean Williams gets the best position down low and has a horrible percentage when shooting from 2", its just unacceptable and frequently costs us.  We really need a true 6'10" big with some muscle and athleticism next year that can consistently finish around the basket.  If Williams is starting at the 5 next year we will not get over the hump into the top tier of the A-10, just sayin.  Dambrot is certainly right about one thing and that is we are consistently inconsistent, I just don't get it.  

 

3/04/2023 7:33 pm  #65


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

City Duke please. Really.? Enough. Coach Dambrot & staff has done a great job this year. Urgo  like Schmidt are superior game coaches. Good news Urgo power 5 team within 1-2 years. My problem today is how can CoachDambrot takes T Al McQuire special in order to protect his team. Cowardice in my opinion. If he takes a T next round A10 playoffs much too late. He blew it. Protect your team. Walk the plank. Pathetic.Final note missing persons McGriff crime dog. Coach this was the opportunity to protect the Dukes. You blew it.

 

3/04/2023 7:35 pm  #66


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

coffee wrote:

Yeah... Dukes suck... 20 wins and 10 in conference it terrible progress after last season. 

Fire Dambrot just like we fired the last coach who won 20 at Duquesne.   

There are so many coaches out there dying to take this job. 

Maybe we can talk Ferry into coming back!

Honestly... quit the whining... suck it up and stop thinking we have to win them all in a competitive conference.  Remember we were picked last but kicked some ass including VCU.

How many of you would turn down 6th place and playing for a double bye in our last game at the start of this season?

Win a couple in the tournament and all you whiners will be fans again.

It’s not whining when it’s been the truth since 1977.   I respect your opinion to be positive and I liked your old football board. So I’m old enough to remember that and the history that is this basketball program. 

Everyone knows the ending of this season.

Last edited by DuqBlue (3/04/2023 9:22 pm)

 

3/04/2023 7:36 pm  #67


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Again reading the board forget the referees Dambrot was coward. Protect your team. 

 

3/04/2023 7:54 pm  #68


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Ironduke81 wrote:

Again reading the board forget the referees Dambrot was coward. Protect your team. 

I don't remember how many times i've said it in posts in these Dambrot years. Explode, take a Technical and let your players know that you have their back. Too late now. Will never get the calls come tourney time. Schmidt, Ford, Ergo, etc... they whine all game long and get their fair share of the calls in the end. It's called working the refs. Coaching 101. Good coaches know how to change the ebb and flow of a game from the working the ref stand point. I don't know if Dambrot is afraid of getting a tiny fine off his million dollar contract, which he has mentioned when asked about the officiating in post game interviews more than once, or just doesn't get it, but c'mon man stick up for your guys for once. 
 

Last edited by Rayrich (3/04/2023 7:55 pm)

 

3/04/2023 7:56 pm  #69


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

DuqBlue wrote:

coffee wrote:

Yeah... Dukes suck... 20 wins and 10 in conference it terrible progress after last season.

Fire Dambrot just like we fired the last coach who won 20 at Duquesne.

There are so many coaches out there dying to take this job.

Maybe we can talk Ferry into coming back!

Honestly... quit the whining... suck it up and stop thinking we have to win them all in a competitive conference. Remember we were picked last but kicked some ass including VCU.

How many of you would turn down 6th place and playing for a double bye in our last game at the start of this season?

Win a couple in the tournament and all you whiners will be fans again.

It’s not whining when it’s been the truth since 1977. I respect your opinion to be positive and I liked your old football board. So I’m old enough to remember that and the history that is this basketball program.

Everyone knows the ending of the this season.

Yep
 

 

3/04/2023 8:26 pm  #70


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

I agree with you all who say Dambrot should have protected his team today and earned a T. That officiating was a disgrace in the first half. However, I would be remiss if I did not point out the inconsistency here as well. I vividly recall reading this board after Dambrot protected his team against Penn State several years ago. Personally, I absolutely loved this from Dambrot as I’m sure many others did as well. But I also recall several posters condemning his behavior that day. At the end of the day, we will all agree or disagree with how Dambrot handles things, but the only thing that really matters is if his team is behind him. And from what I have seen and from what I have heard from their comments, they definitely are.

 

3/04/2023 9:02 pm  #71


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Ironduke81 wrote:

City Duke please. Really.? Enough. Coach Dambrot & staff has done a great job this year. Urgo  like Schmidt are superior game coaches. Good news Urgo power 5 team within 1-2 years. My problem today is how can CoachDambrot takes T Al McQuire special in order to protect his team. Cowardice in my opinion. If he takes a T next round A10 playoffs much too late. He blew it. Protect your team. Walk the plank. Pathetic.Final note missing persons McGriff crime dog. Coach this was the opportunity to protect the Dukes. You blew it.

Iron Duke for once we are completely aligned.

City Duke, optimism is a good thing, but you sound delusional. The Dukes got their ass beat by 27 points tonight. Fordham took their starters out with like 4 minutes left.

We led early off ridiculous shooting, that is not sustainable. Defense was absolutely atrocious in this game and when the shots stopped falling, that was exposed even more.

I am so sick of hearing about the refs. Did they miss a couple calls or make some calls I didn’t agree with? Yes, both ways in my opinion.

Was it the ref’s atrocious defense that led to a soft foul and easy layup for an and one immediately following Gunn completely losing his head in a huge moment?

RJ Gunn is probably damn near 28 years old at this point, to lose your composure like that regardless of the other players involvement is both selfish and naive in a huge game (senior night) on the road. I felt like we were completely screwed as soon as it happened. Maybe it should have been a double tech, but I’m not shocked the call favored them a little at home. That being said I could easily see that being deemed a flagrant and it wasn’t.

We blew a lead after getting out early, that is essentially the theme of the season. This team doesn’t play smart, winning basketball. There’s a difference between having talent and playing winning basketball and just having some talent, and we are the latter. That’s down to coaching and players.

Another objective point that supports others saying we were still quite far off the top 4 is the fact that this team finished 1-5 against the top 4 teams in the league, with an average losing margin close to 15 POINTS A GAME NOW. Was that all the refs fault???? We were a paper Tiger, that will be everyone else’s impression outside of Duquesne, and probably also within the program.

This team had a problem with length and height matchups with the top 4, I’ve railed on that point but it played out again today, is that the refs fault? We were completely stifled by these teams in the front and back court.

This team started the game well early, got punched in the mouth, wilted throughout, and by the end gave up tonight. I am not just going to act like I’m ok with the season ending this way or that the refs are the reason, it’s a joke.

The reality is we were slightly above average this year. That is reality and the blame can go around and around.

Just don’t tell me it’s the damn refs. And save the snark towards wildwood. I value his opinion not watching the game over yours based on these constant posts excusing the team and coaches up and down every time they show their true colors.

 

3/04/2023 9:19 pm  #72


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

It still makes me laugh when long time fans of this mess are called whiners.     Penguins and Steelers fan who have experienced an abundance of success and are pitching fits because of an inevitable downturn.  That’s whining.

Knowing how every season is going to end before it begins and commenting on the annual post mortem is not whining. 

It falls on the presidents and athletic directors of this university for plain incompetence trying to put together a program where the ultimate success is not actually winning.   It’s to be one of 68 schools invited to compete for the championship.   That’s how low the bar is and they can’t accomplish that. 

Everyone here would be thrilled to lose to Appalachian State in the play in game in Dayton and we can not sniff that. 

So don’t tell me I’m whining.    I’m done for this year.   At least the misery will be over by halftime on Wednesday

Last edited by DuqBlue (3/04/2023 9:23 pm)

 

3/04/2023 9:26 pm  #73


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

It has been a fun season. Even though it felt at times like Mr Toad's Wild Ride. Yes, I am disappointed with the loss today, but rebuilding and finishing 6th after last year to me is a giant step forward. The season is not over, and no, I don't know how it will end. I guess more of a "Joshua" person. However it ends, I am happy and hopeful for next season. I would really hope everyone returns next season,and that Dambrot and staff hit the portal hard topick up some quality replacement parts.  We will lose 4 players over 6'7" counting Easley so getting experienced bigs is a priority to keep the momentum going. I agree we need a very big experienced center to work with Dixon and hopefully Barre. We also need a big skilled power forward and small forward.  This recruiting season is critical. We will have a very strong returning core of guards bit really need to get bigger and stronger this summer.  Anyhow I digress.

 

3/04/2023 9:29 pm  #74


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

CityDuke wrote:

We can say the game was more than the officials, but I will say this…basketball is a very momentum-based game.  Momentum is extremely fragile. We were all over Fordham early in the game. When it was basketball. Playing very well. They were out of sorts. They found some footing and then their footing was reinforced with a 7 point possession from the officiating. The tides turned dramatically. We beat them in the tourney, mark it.

Were you complaining about the refs, fragility, and momentum when they rang up Quisenberry, their best player, with 4 fouls with 11 and a half minutes left in the second half?????

Last edited by Duques102 (3/04/2023 9:31 pm)

 

3/04/2023 9:39 pm  #75


Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

Ridiculous shooting? Explain that.  We made three 3s, a majority of our points came in the paint in that first half. Also, as Pistol mentioned, Williams missed several layups in that first half as well.  We got Reece and Williams in multiple 2v1s off of short dump passes that Williams failed to execute.  We couldn't have gotten much better shots.  Our offense in that first half was certainly sustainable if we didn't cave.

You say delusion, I say accountability.  I point out the poor officiating in both wins and losses.  The officiating is hurting the product, and the A10 should do better.  And in my humble opinion, we have gotten a horrendous whistle all season long, especially evident in the Richmond second half and today's first half.  And to say otherwise is what I would call delusional.  Speaking objectively, one 7-point possession and a 14 to 2 free throw discrepancy.  To dive further and maybe slightly less objectively, I will list a few plays.  
1) William's first travel call was a jump stop into the paint, pivot, and kick out.  While he certainly travels often, this was most definitely not.  Maybe a makeup call after Quisenberry's first travel.  Whatever, it happens. I moved on quickly.
2) The scuffle.  While Gunn hand checked early, they let it go.  Then Quisenberry wraps.  They let it go.  Then Gunn fouls him.  They call it.  The wrap continues, Gunn loses composure and shoves him.  Rose or Charlton (I can't remember which it was) shoves Gunn in the back.  They call a foul and a technical on Gunn.  Nothing on Rose/Charlton.  Wild.  Followed by a wildly soft And-1.  5 free throws and a layup in 3 seconds of action.
3) As if this stretch didn't take enough wind out of our sails, shortly after they blow Williams for an offensive foul on a Quisenberry flop.  One could certainly argue that Williams dropped his shoulder. However, then Moore drops his shoulder through Grant right after.  Swallowed whistle, kick out, three ball.  Consistency???
4) There were also several illegal screens, fake post-ups (essentially blocking the help from coming), shoves leading to Dixon's travels, Grant slapped in the arm on a three attempt, Grant getting undercut on a pull-up that he made, etc.  I could go on and on.  But yes, the refs certainly tried to even it out in the second half, but the damage was already done.

The defense was not atrocious early.  In the second half, it was.  I think our guys were too riled up from the damage done in the first half and tried to get it all back at once, leaving themselves exposed.  Frustrating but understandable.  

This was the first blowout all year.. To say we are not on their level is wild.  We handled the number one team in this league.  We had VCU fans questioning if Rhoades was the right guy for the job.  He won the league by three games.  We gave SLU a run for their money and almost pulled it off.  Fordham still doesn't scare me in the slightest.  I respect their tenacity and their ability to muck up the game and make it ugly, but like i said I would love to see them again.  The only matchup in this conference that worries me is Dayton. 1 out of 15 teams.

Snark will most definitely not be saved toward posters that do not watch the games.  That would be like us giving opinions on people's playing time after not being at the practices....oh wait! Haha, just kidding on that one, but seriously how could one possibly develop a reasonable, objective opinion as you put it without watching the team play and the coaches coach? That would be, as you say, delusional.

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum