Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2023 1:57 pm  #1

Next Year

I think most of us agree we need help in the paint next year as a priority.  I would like to see a seasoned big, and I mean legit 6'10", come in and start at the 5 and if Burre is healthy have him then backing the new guy up.  Hell we cold probably use 2 bigs out of the portal.  Next if Dixon's knee is right then he needs to be our starting 4, with Tre as his backup.  We also need a small forward slasher type that can get to the rack and finish and make his foul shots.  Again, outside of Clark we really don't have anyone that can do that effectively and consistently.  As my friend LTrain pointed out to me other teams adjusted to Dae Dae by putting a taller player on him and DD couldn't do his step back and shoot over him and wouldn't make him pay for playing him tight by being able drive around him.  We need another effective penetrator and that leads me to the final piece and that is a seasoned taller point guard.  Our small guys get taken advantage of defensively and as much as Rozier is a leader and decent player, he needs to be an off the bench 12-15 minute guy.  We need a good, experienced 6'2" PG to come in and start next year.  So there is is boys, opinions are welcome.   

3/09/2023 2:15 pm  #2

Re: Next Year

PistolPete wrote:

I think most of us agree we need help in the paint next year as a priority.  I would like to see a seasoned big, and I mean legit 6'10", come in and start at the 5 and if Burre is healthy have him then backing the new guy up.  Hell we cold probably use 2 bigs out of the portal.  Next if Dixon's knee is right then he needs to be our starting 4, with Tre as his backup.  We also need a small forward slasher type that can get to the rack and finish and make his foul shots.  Again, outside of Clark we really don't have anyone that can do that effectively and consistently.  As my friend LTrain pointed out to me other teams adjusted to Dae Dae by putting a taller player on him and DD couldn't do his step back and shoot over him and wouldn't make him pay for playing him tight by being able drive around him.  We need another effective penetrator and that leads me to the final piece and that is a seasoned taller point guard.  Our small guys get taken advantage of defensively and as much as Rozier is a leader and decent player, he needs to be an off the bench 12-15 minute guy.  We need a good, experienced 6'2" PG to come in and start next year.  So there is is boys, opinions are welcome.   

Good post Pistol so agree👍

3/09/2023 2:37 pm  #3

You hit the nail on the head Pistol.  Might have to sacrifice some perimeter shooting for a point guard with some size and athleticism. I would love to see a bigger guard that can penetrate play along side Clark and Grant. With Rozier able to give us a different look off the bench. And a serious big, someone similar to Odoro who can score at the low block consistently. This would force doubles and make Grant’s life a whole lot easier.

3/09/2023 3:54 pm  #4

PistolPete wrote:

Pistol great post.  I completely agree.  

3/09/2023 4:39 pm  #5

There is nothing about Pistol's post to disagree with but I am interested in other poster's ideas about how to avoid having an inherently smallish starting 5 if KD & crew are able to bring in the talented, sweet shooting, experienced, 6' 3' PG we all dream of. I realize that the A-10 features a number of 3 guard lineups on high achieving teams.

Dae Dae is definitely a 2 & not capable of sliding to the 3. Clark's aggression & athleticism allow him to play some SF but I only like that in small stretches because of the size disadvantage that it creates.

-Should a much improved Q be in the starting lineup because of his size/length/athleticism & because alongside DD & Clark that is plenty of ballhandling & shooting?

-Should a much improved Matus be in the starting lineup because of his size & because alongside DD & Clark that is plenty of ballhandling, basketball IQ, & shooting?

( I guess the same question could be asked of Barba except we don't really know his capabilities.)

-Is there a starting lineup that features our super PG with a SF & either DD or Clark with the other coming off the bench?

-Is there any chance that KD doesn't ignore the other options & start Rozier at the beginning of the season?

3/09/2023 4:46 pm  #6

Also, I would be thrilled to have Tre Williams come back, come off the bench because there is a better option than him, & play 18-22 minutes per game.

3/09/2023 5:13 pm  #7

Pistol I totally agree with what you stated are our needs for next year. But, I ask you, are you confident that Dambrot will address these needs and secondly, will they be of A-10 caliber types of players. With his failures in the past of recruiting, I doubt very highly he will secure the talent that we need.

3/09/2023 5:18 pm  #8

Isnt McGriff PG capable?   Carney is a 6'1'' PG who can score.   He has no experience other than practices.   But I dont think he should be overlooked as a scoring option.   Colgate has some big white dude, just rolls thru the paint and dunks, 2 hands, we need a guy like that. 

3/09/2023 5:38 pm  #9

I think this is time of year when we Dukes fans decide that what we really need is that legit athletic 6-10 big that can step right in and get us to that next level. Yet we never seem to find that player. Who was the last one we had that fit that description? Derrick Alston? He's been gone almost 30 years now. I remember that guy that used to coach at Fordham, Tom Pecora, doing color commentary for A10 games and talking about how hard it was for an A10 team to find plug-and-play bigs. You either had to get really lucky or develop a raw talent. So in answer to your question, Wildwood, no, I have little confidence Dambrot will find such a player, but I doubt any other coach we could hire could do much better. I don't disagree that that's what we need, but easier said than done to find such a player and get him to come to Duquesne.

3/09/2023 7:20 pm  #10

Dambrot did a good job of rebuilding this year, maybe not perfect but good enough to win 14 more games than we did last year.  What so many fail to understand is the world has changed.  The NIL has changed the basketball world forever.  Last year DU had used the NIL money they had effectively.  How do you think we had 15 players to start the season?  If you want to see better players, put your money where your mouth is and contribute to the NIL fund.  There may be an element of luck & development but as the old saying goes money talks, BS walks.  Literally, the future is what we make it!

3/09/2023 10:26 pm  #11

Does Duquesne have an high schoolers or preppies committed yet?

3/10/2023 10:17 am  #12

I haven't heard anything yet. Probably a bit too early for any commits. Hope to be hearing lots in the next couple of months though!

3/10/2023 11:25 am  #13

Wildwood I would say that based on the recruiting class we brought in this year that I am fairly confident that KD can bring in what is needed, but he and staff will also need to keep who we need to keep.  I agree with CLK that the NIL money goes a long way as well and helps to keep and attract players.  We'll have to wait and see how that plays out with the current roster.  Again, I am firm believer that we need Dae Dae, Clark, Matus, Burre, Dixon and yes Williams to come back to form a strong core and then we need the new pieces we all concur on.  As to the challenges in getting a quality big, my belief is that the portal gives you a better shot nowadays of pulling in a good big with 1 or 2 years of eligibility.  Here again the NIL money is the carrot.  As my old friend The Professor says............time will tell.

3/10/2023 12:24 pm  #14

phil95 wrote:

There is nothing about Pistol's post to disagree with but I am interested in other poster's ideas about how to avoid having an inherently smallish starting 5 if KD & crew are able to bring in the talented, sweet shooting, experienced, 6' 3' PG we all dream of. I realize that the A-10 features a number of 3 guard lineups on high achieving teams.

Dae Dae is definitely a 2 & not capable of sliding to the 3. Clark's aggression & athleticism allow him to play some SF but I only like that in small stretches because of the size disadvantage that it creates.

-Should a much improved Q be in the starting lineup because of his size/length/athleticism & because alongside DD & Clark that is plenty of ballhandling & shooting?

-Should a much improved Matus be in the starting lineup because of his size & because alongside DD & Clark that is plenty of ballhandling, basketball IQ, & shooting?

( I guess the same question could be asked of Barba except we don't really know his capabilities.)

-Is there a starting lineup that features our super PG with a SF & either DD or Clark with the other coming off the bench?

-Is there any chance that KD doesn't ignore the other options & start Rozier at the beginning of the season?

Kareem Rozier will be the starting PG next season if KD is the coach.  He had every opportunity to groom Q for the role but he groomed Rozier instead.  I like Kareem and feel he has value to this team and keeping him involved for the next 3 seasons would be paramount to building something resembling continuity.  But I don't see Kareem as starting PG on a championship A-10 team.   I would love to see him as back up PG getting 12 minutes a game next season and bringing all the energy and leadership that he does ...allegedly.  But I think KD thinks otherwise.

3/10/2023 12:27 pm  #15

DennisC91 wrote:

I think this is time of year when we Dukes fans decide that what we really need is that legit athletic 6-10 big that can step right in and get us to that next level. Yet we never seem to find that player. Who was the last one we had that fit that description? Derrick Alston? He's been gone almost 30 years now. I remember that guy that used to coach at Fordham, Tom Pecora, doing color commentary for A10 games and talking about how hard it was for an A10 team to find plug-and-play bigs. You either had to get really lucky or develop a raw talent. So in answer to your question, Wildwood, no, I have little confidence Dambrot will find such a player, but I doubt any other coach we could hire could do much better. I don't disagree that that's what we need, but easier said than done to find such a player and get him to come to Duquesne.

Bailee Steele fit that mold but he even had major limitations and by no means "dominated."  Those guys are too hard to find for Duquesne.  if they are as good as we want them to be and it's on tape, a Power 5 school will get them everytime.  Theres not enough of them for everybody

3/11/2023 3:50 pm  #16

Seeing what appear to be realistic needs there is no way the Dukes will fulfill them. Sorry to say. It’s the Dukes not Duke

3/11/2023 6:07 pm  #17

Styles I am in complete agreement with you regarding Rozier.  If KD doesn't know that then we have a problem and I wouldn't see us anywhere but the middle of the pack.  Look at the PG's who have played at Dayton and VCU.  You need a really good PG, who is not undersized, to run the team, attack the basket, dish, shoot decently and defend.   I said in a separate thread that both Rozier and Williams should not be starting next year - they need to come off the bench and they would be key contributors doing so.

Board footera