Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/13/2023 3:18 pm  #1

3/13/2023 3:32 pm  #2

Re: Keith Dambrot Future

I think it is a good move for recruiting purposes.  "Forseeable future" is a pretty nebulous term but almeiloates some of the uncertainty for prospects.

3/13/2023 5:32 pm  #3

I concur. This bit of of non-committal, new-age, BS messaging was appropriate for the purpose of supporting the recruiting effort.  
I am quite happy not to have read the announcement of a contract extension. I like the idea of KD having to fight for his coaching career for another season or so. I suspect that state of affairs pushed along the progress made this year.
I would be far less opposed to KD receiving a 2 year extension over the summer IF he manages to keep the best combination of players elegible for return while also bringing in another impressive recruiting class led by a legit A-10 starting center & PG. Making these things happen would be a major accomplishment worthy of extending his opportunity to meet the program's & its fans' major goals.

I would also find a great deal of reassurance for both the administation's & coach's committment to excellence if KD cut one of his long term guys loose & the administration ponied up for a high-end assistant known as a top-flight recruiter and/or defensive coordinator. To be clear, I mean for this to be in addition to keeping Joyce.

I would also be OK if KD took on another staff member as a package deal with a kick-ass portal player. 

Next year holds the potential for a great leap forward. It is time to spend freely, get creative, & be super aggressive in decision making.

Last edited by phil95 (3/13/2023 5:51 pm)

3/14/2023 11:36 am  #4

It didn't surprise me, since he has one year left, but I would rather not see an extension until next years team performs or not. 

3/14/2023 11:49 am  #5

Knowing that DU will half-ass a new coaching search, I have no problem with keeping the coach around.
I dont think he is fighting for anything   I doubt any suit at DU is considering pushing KD out, not one.   They have no clue, or desire to work, research, interview or have to pay more.   20 wins is easy to justify keeping.  He will be the coach as long as he wants.  Harper is so dull and useless foreseeable future is the best he came up with....he has no clue, except when that pay check is deposited into his account.

3/14/2023 1:34 pm  #6

townsonkid wrote:

Knowing that DU will half-ass a new coaching search, I have no problem with keeping the coach around.
I dont think he is fighting for anything   I doubt any suit at DU is considering pushing KD out, not one.   They have no clue, or desire to work, research, interview or have to pay more.   20 wins is easy to justify keeping.  He will be the coach as long as he wants.  Harper is so dull and useless foreseeable future is the best he came up with....he has no clue, except when that pay check is deposited into his account.

Maybe he is a lot smarter than people on this board give him credit for. Maybe he realized the the same old small thinking of firing  the coach every 4 years only to start from scratch is what helped get us in this hole to begin with.  Look back at the bad decisions that were made before he got here.  Some of you guys think we are Duke not Duquesne. We all want to get to the top of the League and get to the NCAA but to do that in today's world requires dedication, consistency, luck and money.  Want to win donate to the NIL fund.  Tell business you may deal with about the NIL fund.  Batching on this Board may help relieve tension but does little about helping this program. I am not directing my comments at you Towson but is meant as a challenge to all on this board.

3/14/2023 5:34 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I dont think he is fighting for anything I doubt any suit at DU is considering pushing KD out, not one. They have no clue, or desire to work, research, interview or have to pay more. 20 wins is easy to justify keeping. He will be the coach as long as he wants. Harper is so dull and useless foreseeable future is the best he came up with....he has no clue, except when that pay check is deposited into his account.

Maybe he is a lot smarter than people on this board give him credit for. Maybe he realized the the same old small thinking of firing the coach every 4 years only to start from scratch is what helped get us in this hole to begin with. Look back at the bad decisions that were made before he got here. Some of you guys think we are Duke not Duquesne. We all want to get to the top of the League and get to the NCAA but to do that in today's world requires dedication, consistency, luck and money. Want to win donate to the NIL fund. Tell business you may deal with about the NIL fund. Batching on this Board may help relieve tension but does little about helping this program. I am not directing my comments at you Towson but is meant as a challenge to all on this board.

First time blogger...Long time follower/supporter/alum of Duquesne & DU Basketball here. I am trying to restrain myself with this comment made above (TowsonKid???), but there are some things I will give some prospective on. 
1.) I understand there are a lot of keyboard warriors out there that have mixed emotions and feelings about the Past/Current state of Duquesne Basketball. With that being said... a lot of the negative comments are from a "Fans" with little to no (zero) knowledge or understanding of the operations of college athletics, coaching at a Division 1 level, or let alone if the ball used on the court is pumped or stuffed. 
2.) I would love to hear a sincere, rational answer as to what your solution is for Duquesne Basketball. But get detailed, "Fire Dambrot!" "Fire the AD!" "Gut the whole department!" is click bait that every program sees and hears across the country. 
3.) I love Duquesne and still have great relationships with the department staff members. Your comments are completely ignorant. Simple. "Half ass new coaching search?" "No desire to work, research, or interview or have to pay more." Please name an era of Duq Basketball where more funds have been allocated to the program, staff, arena, etc?  .... But yes, you are right! Everyone is just sitting at their desks not doing anything. lol
4.) Acting like 20 wins following an abysmal 6 win season happens everywhere? Pulling in arguably two, top 15 players in the league has nothing to do with back end work by the department? Again... if you think that, you are clueless for how CBB and College Athletics operates now adays.  
5.) CLK, thanks for being a rational fan! Agreed with comments of yours as well. Everyone is quick to trigger attacks but does little to assist with the NIL pool that dictates the caliber of players come to the school.
6.) "Recruit good big guys & a tall point guard!" "Immediate impact guys!"..... NIL is the only way that happens. If you (Keyboard Warriors) are still under the assumption that kids go to schools for a "scholarship, nice campus, and a good education" .... I pray for you lol
7.) I know it because I was in it, and im still involved with the people at Duq Athletics. Put your money where your mouth is. OR  Reach out to them directly if you're willing to pass ideas along! I'm sure they would be more than happy to sit down hear your well thought out plans for the department. Staff emails are on the website. Or apply to work there and really make an impact. I'm sure they will have a great benefits package lined up for you.

Be a supporter. Hate in this world only goes so far. 
- Go Dukes. Duq Alum

3/14/2023 6:26 pm  #8

Welcome Duq Alum! Rational voices are always welcomed around here!!

3/14/2023 7:41 pm  #9

DukeAlumBBAll wrote:

CLK wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I dont think he is fighting for anything I doubt any suit at DU is considering pushing KD out, not one. They have no clue, or desire to work, research, interview or have to pay more. 20 wins is easy to justify keeping. He will be the coach as long as he wants. Harper is so dull and useless foreseeable future is the best he came up with....he has no clue, except when that pay check is deposited into his account.

Maybe he is a lot smarter than people on this board give him credit for. Maybe he realized the the same old small thinking of firing the coach every 4 years only to start from scratch is what helped get us in this hole to begin with. Look back at the bad decisions that were made before he got here. Some of you guys think we are Duke not Duquesne. We all want to get to the top of the League and get to the NCAA but to do that in today's world requires dedication, consistency, luck and money. Want to win donate to the NIL fund. Tell business you may deal with about the NIL fund. Batching on this Board may help relieve tension but does little about helping this program. I am not directing my comments at you Towson but is meant as a challenge to all on this board.

First time blogger...Long time follower/supporter/alum of Duquesne & DU Basketball here. I am trying to restrain myself with this comment made above (TowsonKid???), but there are some things I will give some prospective on. 
1.) I understand there are a lot of keyboard warriors out there that have mixed emotions and feelings about the Past/Current state of Duquesne Basketball. With that being said... a lot of the negative comments are from a "Fans" with little to no (zero) knowledge or understanding of the operations of college athletics, coaching at a Division 1 level, or let alone if the ball used on the court is pumped or stuffed. 
2.) I would love to hear a sincere, rational answer as to what your solution is for Duquesne Basketball. But get detailed, "Fire Dambrot!" "Fire the AD!" "Gut the whole department!" is click bait that every program sees and hears across the country. 
3.) I love Duquesne and still have great relationships with the department staff members. Your comments are completely ignorant. Simple. "Half ass new coaching search?" "No desire to work, research, or interview or have to pay more." Please name an era of Duq Basketball where more funds have been allocated to the program, staff, arena, etc?  .... But yes, you are right! Everyone is just sitting at their desks not doing anything. lol
4.) Acting like 20 wins following an abysmal 6 win season happens everywhere? Pulling in arguably two, top 15 players in the league has nothing to do with back end work by the department? Again... if you think that, you are clueless for how CBB and College Athletics operates now adays.  
5.) CLK, thanks for being a rational fan! Agreed with comments of yours as well. Everyone is quick to trigger attacks but does little to assist with the NIL pool that dictates the caliber of players come to the school.
6.) "Recruit good big guys & a tall point guard!" "Immediate impact guys!"..... NIL is the only way that happens. If you (Keyboard Warriors) are still under the assumption that kids go to schools for a "scholarship, nice campus, and a good education" .... I pray for you lol
7.) I know it because I was in it, and im still involved with the people at Duq Athletics. Put your money where your mouth is. OR  Reach out to them directly if you're willing to pass ideas along! I'm sure they would be more than happy to sit down hear your well thought out plans for the department. Staff emails are on the website. Or apply to work there and really make an impact. I'm sure they will have a great benefits package lined up for you.

- Go Dukes. Duq Alum

First I want to thank you for the thought out post.   Although you may view me as a keyboard warrior I put my money where my mouth is and I attend and I donate.  We all have to lead with our credentials.  You did so I felt obligated to as well.

If I may make a few points of my own, I have never called for Dambrot to be fired.  However I am not going to bend over backwards to congratulate him for the improvement in this season.   He created the mess of last season.   If you worked really hard to recruit a better team this year, aren’t you admitting you absolutely didn’t work hard last year?    But I have never called for him to be fired. 

I do not believe the university or the athletic department leadership supports any of its programs to build consistent winning teams.  Let alone teams that can contend for A-10 championships on consistent basis. 

I still believe that the university support and the leadership of the school and athletic department are lacking greatly.   I attend games.   Games are still organizational nightmares.   I can give you specific examples but I’m not going to go on and on. Game day experience is still  amateurish to say the least.   No pep band.   A school with a music department can’t field a pep band.     

The athletic department does not even have the correct DU vs Rice all time stats correct on the website.  These mistakes are constant.

Yes, no doubt they spend more than money than they ever have.  That’s damning them with faint praise IMO.  Especially, given their history of neglecting the program. 

I just really wish I saw the money they spend as some sort of improved experience at a football or a basketball game. 

Social media coverage and promotion is just poor.   Inconsistent from sport to sport.  Ever notice how there always in game video highlights always tweeted during women’s basketball games.    But sporadically at best  for men’s games?   This should be consistent across all sports.   Women’s volleyball gets more in game highlights tweeted than men’s basketball.  Yes I notice this stuff.   And I’m not saying stop doing this for the women.   I’m saying why is your best foot not being put forward for men’s basketball? 

They film the post game pressers for men’s and women’s bb.   I have emailed people at least three times in previous seasons please give the reporters microphones so we can hear the questions being asked .   Great suggestion I get emailed back.  Still no microphones for reporters. Nothing ever changes as a result of emailing any one.   So I’m not going to waste my time anymore. 

I know you won’t believe this but I do not like complaining.  I have my fair share of management skills and knowledge.  There has never ever been a full scale buy in by the university leadership and a unified plan put in place by the board, President and athletic department to support the coaches of the various teams. 

You can see these all as petty complaints.  I see them and I say “yep 46 years without a tournament appearance is understandable.”

Last edited by DuqBlue (3/14/2023 7:49 pm)

3/14/2023 8:04 pm  #10

DukeAlumBBAll wrote:

CLK wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

- Go Dukes. Duq Alum

OMG! Are you boring!!!   and an overreaction off the charts. 
Dont restrain yourself tho. 

Are you Dave Harper?

Last edited by townsonkid (3/14/2023 8:10 pm)

3/14/2023 8:42 pm  #11

DukeAlumBBAll wrote:

CLK wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

- Go Dukes. Duq Alum

Best post in a long time.   Couldn’t agree more.  Too many people want to blame a half century on the current coach when he and RE were the only ones to actually come close to winning.  If they had coaches of their caliber, the Dukes would be a class program.

Last edited by coffee (3/14/2023 9:02 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/14/2023 10:14 pm  #12

To think Dambrot is a savior with winning at a 44.6% in A10 play and 1-5 in A10 tournament play is totally nuts. The A10 has never been weaker than the Dambrot years, his out of conference schedule has been the weakest in DU history. His 20 win seasons has been fabricated by the easy non conference schedule. I myself don’t know whether to keep or get rid of Dambrot. But to act like he is worth his salary and everything else DU has given him is allowed to be questioned. I am at a lost how to correct the problem of DU basketball. Whether to stand Pat or look elsewhere. But to ridicule people for their opinion is crazy.

3/15/2023 6:54 am  #13

My Response to Duke Alum BB ALL:
  Thank you for your post - the more, the more discussions and I welcome everyone’s opinions.
1.  Of course there are mixed feelings - every sport has fans with mixed feelings, nothing more, nothing less.
With that said, I don’t know what you mean by “knowledge”.  Do you think fans of all sports have to have “knowledge” based on X’s and O’s To be a fan?  Of course you don’t.  By the record, I have coached basketball…not at the college level, but the school level and I still don’t get everything but I can have passion as a fan.
2.  Very few have said fire the AD or gut the whole department.  The AD is one of the best we have had in years.  I can give you a list of things screwed up with the DU media department and certain things but I won’t.  Most people know who the dead wood is….do they work?  Yes.  Are they very effective? No
3.  I love Duquesne and their team too!! So does everyone who posts here.  That’s why they do it.  And yes, a lot of money has been allocated….more than ever…by the President and AD…thus a frustration.  Dambrot has a new place to play and more $ than ever allocated before.
4.  20 wins is awesome.
5.  CLK has always been rational!!
6.  Yep
7.  Yep

A differential opinion is not hate.  The bottom line, Dambrot has done a grade of "C" if you take all of his years together. He has not been able to hold onto folks even before all of the transfer portal, has been stubborn about now and then playing a zone when it might help.  But the biggest issue, he was hired to get the Dukes to an NCAA or NIT.  He has NOT done it.  These are the facts.  He is going into year 7.  Fire him, no.  Not renew his contract? Yes, if he doesn’t get there next year…or folks are again accepting a bar set too low.
Go Dukes!

3/15/2023 9:43 am  #14

DukeAlumBBAll wrote:

CLK wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

- Go Dukes. Duq Alum

This patronizing diatribe is really just a thinly veiled fundraising attempt for the NIL.  The only solution you offer is that we, the fans, should pour even more money into the team and university than we already do?  My guess is, you work for the university and the NIL fund in some capacity.  If you do not see a problem with this coach or the way the Athletic Department handles the promotion of this team then I'm not surprised you work there.  I'm not for "gutting" the Athletic Department but changes are absolutely necessary.  The ham handed attempts at game day functions are embarrassing and the fans deserve more.  If there is an exodus of players in the coming days/weeks then I am for replacing this coach.  If they stay and he cannot get this group into the NIT or NCAA tournament then im for replacing him.  I really don't understand how anyone could feel differently.  The best thing I can say about the KD regime is that we have been mostly respectable.   

3/15/2023 10:20 am  #15

Styles1229 wrote:

DukeAlumBBAll wrote:

CLK wrote:

- Go Dukes. Duq Alum

This patronizing diatribe is really just a thinly veiled fundraising attempt for the NIL.  The only solution you offer is that we, the fans, should pour even more money into the team and university than we already do?  My guess is, you work for the university and the NIL fund in some capacity.  If you do not see a problem with this coach or the way the Athletic Department handles the promotion of this team then I'm not surprised you work there.  I'm not for "gutting" the Athletic Department but changes are absolutely necessary.  The ham handed attempts at game day functions are embarrassing and the fans deserve more.  If there is an exodus of players in the coming days/weeks then I am for replacing this coach.  If they stay and he cannot get this group into the NIT or NCAA tournament then im for replacing him.  I really don't understand how anyone could feel differently.  The best thing I can say about the KD regime is that we have been mostly respectable.   

He already told you wo he was, he is a former basketball player.  There is no need to attack him or question his motives.  I brought up the NIL, not him., and my comment was not a thinly veiled comment.  Dam right I am attempting/hoping to see more money go into the NIL fund. It is the only way to be competitive.  Look at what Pitt did with their NIL money this year.

Maybe you don't understand the new reality of college basketball. As this former player stated above;  "Recruit good big guys & a tall point guard!" "Immediate impact guys!"..... NIL is the only way that happens. If you (Keyboard Warriors) are still under the assumption that kids go to schools for a "scholarship, nice campus, and a good education". 
We don't have a chance against the big money schools, we just have to do better against the schools in our league.  

As for Harper, he is the one who has to make the call on Dambrot's future and I for one am glad that he doesn't listen to nay sayers and armature psychologists on this board.     

3/15/2023 10:24 am  #16

CLK wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

DukeAlumBBAll wrote:

- Go Dukes. Duq Alum

He already told you wo he was, he is a former basketball player.  There is no need to attack him or question his motives.  I brought up the NIL, not him., and my comment was not a thinly veiled comment.  Dam right I am attempting/hoping to see more money go into the NIL fund. It is the only way to be competitive.  Look at what Pitt did with their NIL money this year.

Maybe you don't understand the new reality of college basketball. As this former player stated above;  "Recruit good big guys & a tall point guard!" "Immediate impact guys!"..... NIL is the only way that happens. If you (Keyboard Warriors) are still under the assumption that kids go to schools for a "scholarship, nice campus, and a good education". 
We don't have a chance against the big money schools, we just have to do better against the schools in our league.  

As for Harper, he is the one who has to make the call on Dambrot's future and I for one am glad that he doesn't listen to nay sayers and armature psychologists on this board.     

When/where did he say he was a former player?

3/15/2023 10:55 am  #17

In his first sentence. Former alum and DU basketball. He can clarify if I misinterpreted.

3/15/2023 11:04 am  #18

DukeAlumBBAll wrote:

CLK wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

- Go Dukes. Duq Alum

Thanks welcome to the board. Always good to hear all impressions of what is going on especially as you provide another potential inside works of what happens at Duquesne.
I agree with what you said and look forward to hearing your take on other items.

3/15/2023 12:46 pm  #19

DukeAlumBBAll:Would you mind clarifying if you are a former Dukes basketball player? I am definitely not asking you to unveil your identity. I & others are just wondering if you worked in the athletic department or were a student-athlete.

You have my apologies if this is an offensive request.

3/15/2023 1:33 pm  #20

I'm fine with NIL and I think it was great that Duquesne was one of the first schools--if not the first--to hire a consultant to help our players take advantage of NIL, market, brand themselves, etc. Those are skills that will serve them well beyond their time at Duquesne. But surprise, NIL opportunities are actually quite limited for kids at Duquesne and most other smaller schools. Do any of you folks in Pittsburgh ever see Duquesne student-athletes in local business' advertising campaigns? Or any other evidence of NIL deals these kids have? I remember seeing Rotroff and Gunn on Facebook going out for coffee somewhere, whether that was an NIL deal, I don't know.

Enter the donor collectives to fund those opportunities. The booster slush funds of another era. That is what we're talking about here, isn't it? Any ideas on specifics of what the Red & Blue Collective will fund for these kids? Or are we just to be shamed into opening our wallets if we ever want Duquesne to succeed? What's the target for how much the R&B Collective wants to raise and what will those funds accomplish? Or are we not supposed to ask such questions? Who's even running the R&B Collective? I know Duquesne put out an announcement about it last week, but I believe these collectives have to be run outside the schools, no? 

Meanwhile, Duquesne athletics just raised $266,701 on the Duquesne Day of Giving, almost 42% of the total raised and about 4X what any other part of the school raised. Men's basketball was over $31K of that, I even got a personalized thank you note from Keith himself. So it gets a little tiresome to hear that we're not giving enough and we need to put our money where our hopes and aspirations for the program are. Many of us have been doing that for years. 

3/15/2023 2:09 pm  #21

DennisC91 wrote:

I'm fine with NIL and I think it was great that Duquesne was one of the first schools--if not the first--to hire a consultant to help our players take advantage of NIL, market, brand themselves, etc. Those are skills that will serve them well beyond their time at Duquesne. But surprise, NIL opportunities are actually quite limited for kids at Duquesne and most other smaller schools. Do any of you folks in Pittsburgh ever see Duquesne student-athletes in local business' advertising campaigns? Or any other evidence of NIL deals these kids have? I remember seeing Rotroff and Gunn on Facebook going out for coffee somewhere, whether that was an NIL deal, I don't know.

Enter the donor collectives to fund those opportunities. The booster slush funds of another era. That is what we're talking about here, isn't it? Any ideas on specifics of what the Red & Blue Collective will fund for these kids? Or are we just to be shamed into opening our wallets if we ever want Duquesne to succeed? What's the target for how much the R&B Collective wants to raise and what will those funds accomplish? Or are we not supposed to ask such questions? Who's even running the R&B Collective? I know Duquesne put out an announcement about it last week, but I believe these collectives have to be run outside the schools, no? 

Meanwhile, Duquesne athletics just raised $266,701 on the Duquesne Day of Giving, almost 42% of the total raised and about 4X what any other part of the school raised. Men's basketball was over $31K of that, I even got a personalized thank you note from Keith himself. So it gets a little tiresome to hear that we're not giving enough and we need to put our money where our hopes and aspirations for the program are. Many of us have been doing that for years. 

Here is a link to the FAQ about the DU NIL from the link I previously posted.  Also, Dennis the NIL is different from giving to the University.  The link should answer your questions.  There are a lot of things that are tiresome on this Board, particularly the constant Complaining and moaning that changes nothing.  The NIL fund is a positive alternative.  Sorry if you feel it was meant to "shamed into opening our wallets if we ever want Duquesne to succeed".  It is a sad but true that in today's world it is guaranteed that a team will not reach the level of success that we all want withou a healtly NIL fund.  

Red and Blue Collective – Name Image Likeness

3/15/2023 3:58 pm  #22

CLK wrote:

[Here is a link to the FAQ about the DU NIL from the link I previously posted.  Also, Dennis the NIL is different from giving to the University.  The link should answer your questions.  There are a lot of things that are tiresome on this Board, particularly the constant Complaining and moaning that changes nothing.  The NIL fund is a positive alternative.  Sorry if you feel it was meant to "shamed into opening our wallets if we ever want Duquesne to succeed".  It is a sad but true that in today's world it is guaranteed that a team will not reach the level of success that we all want withou a healtly NIL fund.  

Red and Blue Collective – Name Image Likeness

Yes, I did see the FAQ but it still leaves me lots of questions. I get that this is contributing money directly to the players and not to the school to defray the costs of running the athletic programs. I get that the site serves as a clearinghouse for local businesses or anyone else who may want to do an NIL deal with one of our players. But I'm just a random alum and long-suffering fan. I'm not interested in signing anyone to NIL deals. Does my contribution allow Dae Dae and the Tres to run that summer basketball camp they've always wanted to run? Does it buy them glossy professional photos to sign as well as an appearance fee during an autograph session? If I could check off those options, that would make a lot of sense to me. Duquesne student groups already solicit donations for programs and activities they're involved in, money that goes directly to them and not the school. This isn't much different. But I don't see anything like that beyond some hypothetical mentions of what sort of programs the collective might support. Did I not go far enough in the process? I just see them asking me whether I want to make a one-time contribution or monthly commitment and what program I want to designate those contributions to. I have no idea what my funds will support exactly, I just know that 10-15% of whatever I donate goes to this SANIL agency that administers the website and the program. The Red & Blue Collective has a "board of directors" that apparently makes the call on how funds get spent but we still don't know who those folks are. Seems a normal thing that they should be identified. SANIL doesn't identify any of their leadership or employees either. I don't typically write checks to organizations without knowing that sort of basic info, do you? 

Hey slick website, good intentions, lots of high-minded rhetoric about how they're empowering student-athletes but at the very least, they've got some kinks to work out. 

3/15/2023 5:38 pm  #23

Dennis, I have no personal involvement in the Red & Blue Collective but applaud and support their effort.  Just about every school has or will set up these groups as this is the future. 

Notre Dame-focused NIL collective Irish United launches - On3

The only reason I posted the link here was to give those who read this board the information on how to support this group if they want, or to provide the information to business that may want to support this group. Like it or not the NIL has changed college basketball. 

3/15/2023 6:14 pm  #24

CLK wrote:

Dennis, I have no personal involvement in the Red & Blue Collective but applaud and support their effort.  Just about every school has or will set up these groups as this is the future. 

Notre Dame-focused NIL collective Irish United launches - On3

The only reason I posted the link here was to give those who read this board the information on how to support this group if they want, or to provide the information to business that may want to support this group. Like it or not the NIL has changed college basketball. 

Nothing changes with this new twist in D-1 recruiting and performance on the court. So what, kids get money for playing. All top D-1 schools have benefited in attracting top 5 star players all the time ?   So what? Nothing changes?  So, now, what, the Power=5 is going to get 100 Star players? (Just a joke)   All top schools attract top players all the time, all mid-majors teams,  take the rest?  Nothing changes. Only the most innovative mid-major coaches then, and now,  will take the rest and win?  Nothing actually changes here, except a few posters that think we are going to now compete with, once again, the Power-5 leagues on their terms? Not going to happen. How about this for a change. Every kid on our team gets a working wage to pay for things that, before, we could not give these kids without breaking the rules. Is that's what the fund is for? Then I'm for it.

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/15/2023 9:00 pm)

3/15/2023 10:53 pm  #25

I have no credentials. I don’t coach. Don’t referee 6 nights a week. Never played college ball. I’m just a college basketball fan. The program I root the hardest for and follow the closest is Duquesne. The frustration of Duquesne fans is understandable. But if we are going to talk about reality.  

The reality is that this isn’t the 1950s when small, city schools, especially those in the northeast had advantages like more local talent and the ability to recruit black players. It’s not the late ‘60s-early 70s before the conference realignments and big TV money. When those changes were happening Duquesne didn’t react or do much to keep up with the times. When the Big East was created the Dukes weren’t  invited. They were stuck in a second tier conference, in a third rate facility and on a shoestring budget.

The reality is Duquesne was just clawing its way to a middle of the pack program in the A10 with paying coaches more, the Coop, and some other long needed changes when the landscape changed again. The portal and the NIL aren’t made to help the Duquesne’s. The only way they don’t kill the Duquesne’s is if they find a way to adapt. Duquesne’s collective will never have the money the big boys will  have. But maybe it can have enough money to compete with the better mid majors. Maybe that keeps Duquesne in the hunt for some players or keeps a few guys from transferring out. Maybe not. But instead of trying, let’s not take part in the NIL. Instead let’s criticize the coaching staff for recruiting “MAC” players and for “player turnover.”

The reality is the NCAA is skewed more and more to favor the P5 and big time programs. Look at who gets the at large bids. I know they lost. But 27-7 regular season MAC champ Toledo loses its conf championship game and gets to go on the road to play 17-15 8th place Michigan in the NIT while WVU 8th in its conf with a losing conf record goes to the NCAAs.  At least Toledo went to the NIT. Maybe I missed it, but was Fordham even invited?

My hope is Duquesne wins A10 championships and goes to the NCAA  tournament. Those should always be the program’s goals. But in a 15 team league that will likely be a 2 or maybe 3 bid league realistically how often is that going to happen? It didn’t happened here for what 40 years and 8 coaches. But let’s fire a 9th coach if the Dukes don’t dance next year. 

Last edited by SteelBowl (3/15/2023 10:55 pm)

Board footera