Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2023 2:03 pm  #1

With every day the chance of signing another guard dims

Going to be difficult for this team with only 4 guards and one being a freshman.By the end of season the 4 will
tire.Dont know what Dambrot plans are dealing with lack of depth.Any info or thoughts?

6/14/2023 2:12 pm  #2

Re: With every day the chance of signing another guard dims

stew wrote:

Going to be difficult for this team with only 4 guards and one being a freshman.By the end of season the 4 will
tire.Dont know what Dambrot plans are dealing with lack of depth.Any info or thoughts?

I agree but I am holding out hope something happens.  If not, perhaps KD likes Barba as a guard?  Or one of the walk-ons he thinks is good enough to play?  I really can't see any other options.

6/14/2023 2:53 pm  #3

Styles1229 wrote:

stew wrote:

I agree but I am holding out hope something happens.  If not, perhaps KD likes Barba as a guard?  Or one of the walk-ons he thinks is good enough to play?  I really can't see any other options.

Well, 4 guards at 2 positions (as opposed to the usual 3 at Duquesne) is like having a 10-man roster for 5 positions. One is a freshman? So was Kareem last year. I hope this is not a dire situation if there are no more additions. Tend to think it is not that.

6/16/2023 8:34 am  #4

I got to wonder what is going on with Duquesne.  It appears that Charles Thomas has left and is now an assistant at St Louis.

West Pine Bills on Twitter: "Appears the new SLU Men’s Basketball assistant coach has officially started per some digging. Charles Thomas, previously of Duquesne, has joined Travis Ford’s staff. We expect an announcement soon." / Twitter

This could explain the lack of visible recruiting efforts for future players that you see from other schools. 
Verbal Commits (@VerbalCommits) / Twitter
Moreover, are we done recruiting for this year?  We don't see any movement in getting more guards, but everything is close to the vest at DU.  If we do not get at least one more quality big experienced guard that will be a major recruiting blunder IMHO.  

The players should be back on campus for summer workouts, but unlike other A10 teams that post pictures and keep their fans informed and engaged, DU's website is silent. 

Are the Dukes taking a summer foreign tour? 

I am considering entering the transfer portal.  Too hard to be a Duquesne fan.

6/16/2023 9:25 am  #5

CLK, if you were to enter the transfer portal, with all the hard work of providing us with info and Your loyalty, you would be picked up by a power 5 team in a heartbeat. I personally check this board daily to see info you provide for us. Thanks for the information. But for now stay put, wait another year or two to see what happens on the bluff. I know you are thirsting for info on this team and future recruiting plans, but that would all be speculative. Let’s just see them on the court next year, supposedly a good year according to the pundits.

6/16/2023 9:41 am  #6

CLK wrote:

I got to wonder what is going on with Duquesne.  It appears that Charles Thomas has left and is now an assistant at St Louis.

West Pine Bills on Twitter: "Appears the new SLU Men’s Basketball assistant coach has officially started per some digging. Charles Thomas, previously of Duquesne, has joined Travis Ford’s staff. We expect an announcement soon." / Twitter

This could explain the lack of visible recruiting efforts for future players that you see from other schools. 
Verbal Commits (@VerbalCommits) / Twitter
Moreover, are we done recruiting for this year?  We don't see any movement in getting more guards, but everything is close to the vest at DU.  If we do not get at least one more quality big experienced guard that will be a major recruiting blunder IMHO.  

The players should be back on campus for summer workouts, but unlike other A10 teams that post pictures and keep their fans informed and engaged, DU's website is silent. 

Are the Dukes taking a summer foreign tour? 

I am considering entering the transfer portal.  Too hard to be a Duquesne fan.

Maybe Charles Thomas felt slighted when KD brought in Dru Joyce - CT had been a loyal minion to KD for many years right?  Perhaps, DJ was given the keys to the cars CT wanted to drive.  Obviously, this is wild speculation as I know nothing about what occurred but I am the number 2 guy at my current job and have been with the boss for over 10 years.  If he brought somebody else in at this point I'd start looking for a new job.  I liked CT (met him a couple times and sat with his people at a few games) and I wish him well.  I am more concerned with the lack of guards on this team.  Hopefully, KD and the staff are designing a different kind of approach with hybrid guards/forwards to eat minutes when 2 of these 3, Clark/Grant/Rozier, cannot be on the floor together.  the lack of guard recruiting makes me think we are in for a slow, halfcourt offense that focuses on getting the ball inside and putting back rebounds.  I don't see this team running and gunning.  Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying thats what it looks like to me.

6/16/2023 9:59 am  #7

Very puzzling on Charles Thomas, CLK. IMO, For many years, Charles was the #1 assistant coach and logically heir apparent for Dambrot’s job, until Dru Joyce was hired. That move shook up the coaching staff, with Steve McNees, Carl Thomas and now apparently Charles moving on. I’m not sure if these losses are all a bad thing; staffs can get stale and lose effectiveness both in coaching and recruiting. 

I don’t have very much of an issue with the lack of public recruiting info. It’s nice for us fans to know in order to speculate, but I don’t think it hinders the actual recruiting of a player.

The lack of any promotional info coming out of Duquesne is appalling. Player profiles, foreign tours, scheduling hints/updates, fan events, etc. are never to be found. No engagement whatsoever with the fan base, limited as it is.

Another quality guard would be welcome; but if they have determined that Hronsky can play and defend at the 2 guard position, then the need is less pressing. This currently is a roster mix that is unfamiliar to us Dukes fans. We are used to seeing a parade of undersized centers and power forwards, using 3 or sometimes 4 guards. This year, I don’t think we will see much of 3 guards on the floor at the same time; we may see the Dukes go big having 4 guys on the court that are 6’7” or taller. Interesting times.

6/16/2023 10:03 am  #8

Styles1229, I swear I wasn’t looking over your shoulder copying your answers during the “test”.  😂

6/16/2023 10:16 am  #9

Phoenix, when did McNees leave and do you know if he went to another program?

6/16/2023 10:30 am  #10

Wildwood13 wrote:

Phoenix, when did McNees leave and do you know if he went to another program?

Wildwood13, Steve left the program about a year ago. He started up and is a partner in a player development program and Cranberry Township facility called Run The Show.

6/16/2023 11:27 am  #11

Thanks Wildwood.  I do understand the recruiting secrecy, although I don't agree, but usually you find information from kids or other sources indicating recruiting activity.  That is what I meant by no "visible" recruiting efforts.  I don't see any recent evidence that the Dukes are on the recruiting trail for future players like you see for just about every other team.  Recently the contact period opened for '25 recruits and coaches are contacting these players by the dozens.  In the past we would see many names mentioning Duquesne.  I have yet to see one.  Part of it is due to shifting recruiting to the portal, but I think the bigger part of it is the unknown and uncertainty of Dambrot's status and who is going to be coaching these kids.  I am surprised actually at how well DU did in the Portal so far this year.  However, all of these players are grad students, and there is no uncertainty for these kids as Dambrot is in the final year of his contract.  

As for Charles Thomas, his decision was made when Harper brought in Dru Joyce came in with a title that no other assistant had - Associatee Head Coach.  I like Charles and thought he worked hard recruiting for Duquesne, however since he is working for one of our competitors, I don't want to wish him too much luck.  

Phoenix, I also don't understand the complete lack of informational or promotional effort by Duquesne. It has always been that way, and nothing has changed.  As far as the structure of this team is concerned, I don't understand how we are going to see less than three guards on the court unless the determination has been made that either Clark or Grant will spend some time at the point.  I just don't see this team being that good unless we have both of the guys playing major minutes together.  That also raises the question of what do you do if one of these guys is out with an injury.  I am really hoping we are not done recruiting for this year.

Last edited by CLK (6/16/2023 11:30 am)

6/16/2023 11:38 am  #12

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Styles1229, I swear I wasn’t looking over your shoulder copying your answers during the “test”. 😂

great minds think alike!

6/16/2023 2:40 pm  #13

I am taking an optimistic outlook on the coaching staff changes. KD & Dru have great recruiting expertise in MI, OH, & the portal. Hopefully new staff members are better at recruiting major metro areas & the west while bringing fresh perspectives on offensive & defensive systems.

6/16/2023 4:15 pm  #14

Good thread!

I like the idea of 2 guards and 3 bigs. Not many A10 teams do that and it could have an impact in league play.

I like Coach Charles, but when the handwriting is on the wall, you do what is best for you. If it is to be Coach Dru, I am glad he is here already contributing to the culture.

As for the lack of info, I have already stated numerous times that it is plain laziness on behalf of the AD and his info department. The only way that changes is if President Gormley (who is doing a tremendous job) kicks them in the butt.

I am glad for CLK and the regular contributors to this forum or it would be absolutely impossible to be a Dukes fan during the summer months. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

6/17/2023 8:31 am  #15

The assistants had to be pissed when Dru got rhe top assistant job.But its dog eat dog in the coaching profession.Hopefully Dru is the golden boy and he does a great job for Duquesne when Dambrot leaves.Right now it looks good,a smooth transition when KD leaves.

6/17/2023 8:38 am  #16

The athletic dept sucks.If you want grow a fanbase then you talk recruiting and do what Pitt does.That SID
 is frickin lazy.

6/17/2023 8:43 am  #17

Dambrot is constatntly recruiting.There are stories and you could right fake stuff like the Dukes are interested
in players they have no chance of getting.For me I am a Dukes fan 365 days a year. Im always looking
for anything about Duquesne.Nothing alse matter more as a fan than Duquesne.
I wear  it and I breathe it.

6/17/2023 8:52 am  #18

Saba reminds me of Pyle in Full Medal Jacket movie .

6/17/2023 2:10 pm  #19

I personally do not see the infatuation with Dru Joyce. He was not involved in last year’s recruiting class. This year it’s mostly portal guys with one freshman. The future list of recruits is below average. His biggest attribute is that he is close to LeBron. He served a few years at Cleveland State, not a what you would call a power school. We have witnessed what this relationship has gotten us with Dambrot. I prefer a guy from the east coast. Some one that has ties to NY, Philly, NJ and Maryland. Not only is that the fruitful recruiting area but we also play in conference games in those areas. This Ohio connection has got to expand to other areas. We are not a MAC team, we are in the A-10. From Harper to the head coach to the assistants, all Ohio products.

6/18/2023 3:31 pm  #20

Bryce James has been offered a scholie by DU
Joyce and James were HS teammates while KD was their coach
I sense that Joyce will be the next head coach
KD will get a 2 year extension depending on what happens this year

6/19/2023 9:25 am  #21

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Very puzzling on Charles Thomas, CLK. IMO, For many years, Charles was the #1 assistant coach and logically heir apparent for Dambrot’s job, until Dru Joyce was hired. That move shook up the coaching staff, with Steve McNees, Carl Thomas and now apparently Charles moving on. I’m not sure if these losses are all a bad thing; staffs can get stale and lose effectiveness both in coaching and recruiting.

I don’t have very much of an issue with the lack of public recruiting info. It’s nice for us fans to know in order to speculate, but I don’t think it hinders the actual recruiting of a player.

The lack of any promotional info coming out of Duquesne is appalling. Player profiles, foreign tours, scheduling hints/updates, fan events, etc. are never to be found. No engagement whatsoever with the fan base, limited as it is.

Another quality guard would be welcome; but if they have determined that Hronsky can play and defend at the 2 guard position, then the need is less pressing. This currently is a roster mix that is unfamiliar to us Dukes fans. We are used to seeing a parade of undersized centers and power forwards, using 3 or sometimes 4 guards. This year, I don’t think we will see much of 3 guards on the floor at the same time; we may see the Dukes go big having 4 guys on the court that are 6’7” or taller. Interesting times.

I'm less concerned about who will backup the 2-guard than I am about who is the backup to Kareem at the point?  Things move so much more smoothly with a true point than with a 2-guard trying to play the point.  Kareem will need to rest at times and will collect fouls and need to sit.  Who will run the show when he sits?  Quincy had his faults, but he did eat some minutes at the point in games.  Is there another guy on the roster who can fill that role?  Hronsky turned it over too often for a point guard.  

Last edited by levon1975 (6/19/2023 9:28 am)

6/19/2023 9:47 am  #22

levon1975 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I'm less concerned about who will backup the 2-guard than I am about who is the backup to Kareem at the point?  Things move so much more smoothly with a true point than with a 2-guard trying to play the point.  Kareem will need to rest at times and will collect fouls and need to sit.  Who will run the show when he sits?  Quincy had his faults, but he did eat some minutes at the point in games.  Is there another guy on the roster who can fill that role?  Hronsky turned it over too often for a point guard.  

I know from people close to Jimmy Clark that he sees himself as a true PG and wants to play PG.  I don't know his history at the position but I do know it's where he wants and thinks he should be playing.  Does anyone know what he played at VCU?

6/19/2023 10:18 am  #23

Jimmy Clark played PG at VCU.  I have no problem if he is our starting PG.  His only problem is he is so agressive on defense he gets into foul trouble that limits his playing time.  He plays a lot like ajax and mike james at the PG position.  I also hve no problem if KD goes with only two guards,  two forwards and a center.  He was very successful with that mix at Akron because he had the talent at those positions.  It appears he will have the talent with this years team to play that same type of hoops.  

6/19/2023 11:14 am  #24

Wildwood I am in complete agreement regarding Joyce and the Ohio recruiting versus the areas you mention.  I've also been one to advocate that bringing in someone on the staff with recruiting connections in NY, DC, Virginia etc. would help, but what the hell do I know.

6/19/2023 7:58 pm  #25

Hoping this freshman has some Sincere Carry in him.

Board footera