Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/18/2023 9:21 am  #1

Tim Benz Breakfast With Keith Dambrot Podcast

7/18/2023 9:25 am  #2

Re: Tim Benz Breakfast With Keith Dambrot Podcast

7/18/2023 12:42 pm  #3

So 2 of our centers are not cleared medically, one of which, the ACC guy, not till the season, if then.   Worrisome b

7/18/2023 3:04 pm  #4

I feel a helluva a lot more optimistic about Duquesne basketball than the Pirates or Steelers this year.

7/18/2023 3:17 pm  #5

Steelers are loaded.    Pirates are forever trash.

What is Barre's injury?

7/18/2023 3:27 pm  #6

Townson:  Send an e-mail to jama13444@hotmail,com so I can answer your questioned mind.  Grammy. 

7/18/2023 3:49 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

A lot to unpack in this interview.  Good job by Tim

Tim Benz: Additions, key retentions have Keith Dambrot optimistic at Duquesne | TribLIVE.com

CLK totally agree. Benz solid job. Sorry all you Tim & Ellis haters. Those two at least give a you know what about Duquesne sports.

7/18/2023 4:05 pm  #8

CLK wrote:

A lot to unpack in this interview.  Good job by Tim

Tim Benz: Additions, key retentions have Keith Dambrot optimistic at Duquesne | TribLIVE.com

CLK totally agree. Benz solid job. Sorry all you Tim & Ellis haters. Those two at least give a you know what about Duquesne sports.

7/18/2023 4:52 pm  #9

That was certainly an efficient state of the union report. Much appreciated in July.

-Hronsky's health struggles are a real bummer.
-I don't recall there being any Tim Benz haters here. I think the disdain 81 referenced is reserved almost exclusively for Ellis.
-I predict that KD is playing possum on Mahorcic. I think he will be ready weeks before the season starts.

I don't get having so many viable players in the program at once. Alas, many other schools are doing the same so I am going with the flow on this subject.

Last edited by phil95 (7/18/2023 4:53 pm)

7/19/2023 7:44 am  #10

Phil I hope you are right about Mahorcic.  It really is a good thing that DU brought in all those seasoned front court players.  I think KD learned his lesson from two years ago when, because of injuries, he was forced to play a 6'5" walk on player as our power forward. Could this really be the year?

7/19/2023 9:33 am  #11

If, big IF, but if Clark and Grant are at least as good, Rozier is better, Necas and Savrasov are as good as advertised, and Dixon and Barre progress, then I think it can be THE year.   
I guess thats a lot to ask.   We'll see!

7/19/2023 10:46 am  #12

This is the best chance Duquesne may ever get to be invited to NCAA tounament.For the oldtimers like me this is it.
We need fans in the stands and noise to help the cause.This team has the size and strength to rebound,really good
guards and a deep bench.In honor of Garry nelson hope the Dukes wear the uniforms of 70-71 team.

7/22/2023 10:27 am  #13

CLK wrote:

Phil I hope you are right about Mahorcic.  It really is a good thing that DU brought in all those seasoned front court players.  I think KD learned his lesson from two years ago when, because of injuries, he was forced to play a 6'5" walk on player as our power forward. Could this really be the year?

I see/saw that situation much differently. For the vast majority of that season the only significant injury to a big was Rotroff. Tre's injury came with 4 games left; long after the season was doomed. We now also know that Gunn was not going to be of any use as a big. These issues we're exacerbated by KD's refusal to play Hima until it was too late for him to find his footing.

My point is that injuries to big players didn't screw this team, the lack of viable big players in the program & the failure to develop/play the only "extra" big available did. When you go into the season with only the oft injured Rotroff & Tre as the only post players with experience, it is not really an injury problem; it is a roster construction issue.

(Let's not forget, Hima had already been in the program & on campus for more than a year before the 21-22 season began.)

7/22/2023 12:12 pm  #14

phil95 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I see/saw that situation much differently. For the vast majority of that season the only significant injury to a big was Rotroff. Tre's injury came with 4 games left; long after the season was doomed. We now also know that Gunn was not going to be of any use as a big. These issues we're exacerbated by KD's refusal to play Hima until it was too late for him to find his footing.

My point is that injuries to big players didn't screw this team, the lack of viable big players in the program & the failure to develop/play the only "extra" big available did. When you go into the season with only the oft injured Rotroff & Tre as the only post players with experience, it is not really an injury problem; it is a roster construction issue.

(Let's not forget, Hima had already been in the program & on campus for more than a year before the 21-22 season began.)

Not sure where we see things differently regarding the 2021 - 2022 season. There clearly was a roster construction issue that year.

I was responding to your original comment: "I don't get having so many viable players in the program at once." In 2021 - 2022 we didn't have enough viable players in the program, especially in the front court.  This definitely was a roster construction issue.  You may recall that we started the season with 13 scholarship players.  We had season ending injuries to Rotroff, Williams, Gunn and Barba.  Which left us with 8 viable D1 players and one former D2 player. Of the nine available players we only had three guys over 6'7": Hima, Okani and Easley.  The balance of the squad of Johnson, Spears, Ayers, Bekelja, Acuff and Larson were all guards. We finished the season seeing Easley playing the 5 and Larson the 4 because after Hima got three fouls in the first four minutes there were no other options. This roster was short on experience, short on talent and short on depth. 

The last two years Dambrot not only brought more experience, more talent and more depth, but overall, the team has gotten bigger with players being sable to play multiple positions.  That is what I meant by Dambrot learned his lesson from the 2021 - 2022 season.  

Board footera