Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2023 10:22 am  #1

Scheduling

Hopefully we will have a final schedule soon.

It gets more and more difficult for teams like Duquesne to schedule. Most schools are competing for the shrinking number of opportunities to schedule Power 5 schools. With the realignment madness and surviving leagues growing to 16 to 18 teams these opportunities will be even less going forward.

I really think the A10 needs to move quickly to grow and cut the non conference schedule from 13 to 11. What are your thoughts

8/09/2023 12:11 pm  #2

Re: Scheduling

They wouldn't necessarily need to add teams, they could simply add two more Home and Home matchups for each team.

8/09/2023 1:18 pm  #3

Very true Levon. I am under the impression that the A10 is still looking to add teams.

8/09/2023 3:17 pm  #4

I believe with the way things are going, that all teams that have division 1 football teams are going to have to belong to a conference that encompass both football and basketball. Therefore a school like UConn is either going to move again and  or drop football. The Big East will look to expand either way to compete with these large conferences. Maybe they will become an all catholic league. With the promising season coming up, we have to string two to three seasons in a row to maybe be considered in part of their expansion. We have the TV market and we are a catholic school plus are glorious past might help. We must become as attractive as possible. Do like must Catholic schools, play some games at home and others at the city’s home venue that seats in excess of 12,000 fans. In my opinion it’s do or die situation coming up.

8/10/2023 7:42 am  #5

Wildwood13 wrote:

I believe with the way things are going, that all teams that have division 1 football teams are going to have to belong to a conference that encompass both football and basketball. Therefore a school like UConn is either going to move again and or drop football. The Big East will look to expand either way to compete with these large conferences. Maybe they will become an all catholic league. With the promising season coming up, we have to string two to three seasons in a row to maybe be considered in part of their expansion. We have the TV market and we are a catholic school plus are glorious past might help. We must become as attractive as possible. Do like must Catholic schools, play some games at home and others at the city’s home venue that seats in excess of 12,000 fans. In my opinion it’s do or die situation coming up.

Good post Wildwood.  We fit all the criteria for the Big East except for our dismal past record.  The Program is on the rise, and I agree that this year the Dukes could become much more attractive with an NCAA bid and a run in the Tourney.  

8/10/2023 9:18 am  #6

We need to focus on this season.Getting to to a Ncaa tournament.Duquesne is light years away from being
considered for Big East consideration.50 plus years of basketball buffoonery have sealed our fate.Duquesne
cant even get Pitt on its schedule and few people care.

8/10/2023 9:37 am  #7

Dukes have played 2 years in a 3,500 seat arena and have not once had a capacity crowd,Duquesne opened
the Cooper Field House, spent 45 million dollars and there were over 1,000 empty seats for that opening game.St. Louis and Dayton would be worthy candidates because of fan interest and facilities and tradition.

8/10/2023 10:11 am  #8

There is no question that Duquesne getting into the Big East is just a dream at this point. However, I love the way there is no hesitation on this Board to quickly crush any positive discussions, dreams or hope for the future.

8/10/2023 10:44 am  #9

Actually, I think Duquesne might be better positioned for a Big East slot than many hope to dream. Our long losing aside, we have a desirable Big East market, good relationships with Dayton and St. Louis, and history with most members. We need to get to the NCAA and look promising. We will be mentioned when the Big East expands.

8/10/2023 12:33 pm  #10

CLK wrote:

There is no question that Duquesne getting into the Big East is just a dream at this point. However, I love the way there is no hesitation on this Board to quickly crush any positive discussions, dreams or hope for the future.

CLK  I agree. Negativity bad karma. As AC/DC  great song a classic “Have a drink on me”😂

8/10/2023 12:38 pm  #11

All I want to do is travel 3 hours and cheer the Dukes to a NCAA invite this year.I wear the Duquesne fan gear around Columbus and called the ticket office inquiring to buy season tickets with no response.No matter,I 
still will be there this season cheering for my beloved Dukes since 1965-66 season.Just a typical malcontent.

8/30/2023 2:43 pm  #12

As of today, 195 of the 362 D-1 teams have released their non-conference schedules.  The Dukes still have 4 games to fill.  I'm starting to get a bit concerned that the Dukes may have to face one or two non-Division 1 teams on their schedule at home.  

8/30/2023 3:00 pm  #13

Some news regarding a Duke who just went pro: In Austin Rotroff's second preseason game with Sparta Bartreng, a club in luxembourg, he tore his ACL. So heartbreaking for this type of thing to repeatedly happen to such a hard worker. 

8/30/2023 3:54 pm  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

As of today, 195 of the 362 D-1 teams have released their non-conference schedules.  The Dukes still have 4 games to fill.  I'm starting to get a bit concerned that the Dukes may have to face one or two non-Division 1 teams on their schedule at home.  

Yeah I was hoping we would see a non-conference schedule soon to start talk about it.  Especially with September approaching.  Looking forward to Princeton game.

The wife and I bought a whole season ticket package so super excited for the season!!

Go Dukes!

8/30/2023 5:42 pm  #15

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I am concerned about that also Phoenix.  I don't remember but wasn't DePaul a 2 for 1 deal?  

8/30/2023 5:44 pm  #16

BluffHunter wrote:

Some news regarding a Duke who just went pro: In Austin Rotroff's second preseason game with Sparta Bartreng, a club in luxembourg, he tore his ACL. So heartbreaking for this type of thing to repeatedly happen to such a hard worker. 

Wow, that is awful. 

8/30/2023 7:26 pm  #17

Unfortunately it alls comes down to what Duquesne is willing to pay for a game. Follow the 💰

8/30/2023 7:39 pm  #18

Ironduke81 wrote:

Unfortunately it alls comes down to what Duquesne is willing to pay for a game. Follow the 💰

Ironduke81, certainly that is the case.  I do know that a few years back the Dukes shelled out nearly a million dollars for scheduling purposes at home.  Unfortunately, that kind of money now only gets you games that give you a Quad 4 win.  You used to be able to get those games for chump change; i.e. travel costs and a small check. 

CLK wrote:

[
I am concerned about that also Phoenix.  I don't remember but wasn't DePaul a 2 for 1 deal?  

You have a better memory than I do, CLK.  But I do believe that you are right.  I just looked at DePaul's schedule and they only have 6 games on the docket so far.  Doesn't make me feel much better that a Big East team is also having trouble scheduling games.

8/31/2023 11:13 am  #19

Didn't there used to be a link to clearinghouse site where schools would exchange available dates and try to schedule games? Seems like with 160+ schools still looking something should be available.

9/01/2023 8:39 am  #20

No reason to believe D2 teams will be on the schedule and no reason to ever think about being in the Big East.  Not trying to crush dreams, but it makes no sense, IDC if we are catholic, or in a "major" city.
There are 300+ teams in D1 hoops, right?   We're going to have some garbage on the schedule, what should be easy Ws.   At least we have some legit teams on there now, CofC is going to be tough!

Board footera