Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2023 5:59 pm  #1

Add Bradley & Princeton To Non-Conference Schedule

Duquesne and Bradley are finalizing an agreement to play in Akron on December 18th.

DU will host Princeton on Novermber 15th.

8/16/2023 6:05 pm  #2

Re: Add Bradley & Princeton To Non-Conference Schedule

I like the way we have upgraded our schedule this year.  Both Princeton (Sweet 16 last season) and Bradley are expected to be top 100 teams.

8/16/2023 7:26 pm  #3

Knock off this annual game in Akron. For many reasons we do not need to play there!!!  We are a Pittsburgh team that ruled the city for many years. Let’s try an attract our local fan base. Dambrot coaching in Akron and having been LeBron’s coach has done nothing for us at Duquesne.

8/16/2023 8:54 pm  #4

Wildwood, you don't know what LeBron has done for Duquesne. I believe he financially.supports Duquesne but wishes to remain anonymous. The game in Akron is tied into his Promise program there and probably he funds the cost of this game. Besides, some of the teams we play there would not come to Duquesne but are willing to play there as a neutral site.

8/17/2023 7:39 am  #5

DanC wrote:

Wildwood, you don't know what LeBron has done for Duquesne. I believe he financially.supports Duquesne but wishes to remain anonymous. The game in Akron is tied into his Promise program there and probably he funds the cost of this game. Besides, some of the teams we play there would not come to Duquesne but are willing to play there as a neutral site.

I do not know what LeBron does for Duquesne. Do you actually know what he does ? I believe he would want the positive publicity if he does finance Duquesne. As far as his promise school, it has failed terribly, and because of this failing, LeBron has distance himself from the school.  That I do know. I am pretty sure that the schools we play in Akron at a high school gym would easily agree to play at the Coop, it’s not like we have a great home court advantage. It’s not like we are playing power programs there in front of ten thousand fans. If it’s pay back to LeBron , let it be known and then it becomes more understandable. And if it’s not, what is the purpose of this game in a high school gym ?

8/17/2023 10:23 am  #6

Right on, Wildwood. The LeBron stuff is downright silly.

8/17/2023 10:53 am  #7

Its a nice gesture by KD to help promise school and its a neutral court setting against a good team.If it makes Dambrot happy great.It might provide a recruiting presence in the Akron area to play a game there.

8/17/2023 11:02 am  #8

Akron St.Marys -St Vincent is still a powerhouse and Duquesne has a connection to the high school in Dambrot and 
our future head coach Dru Joyce.Dru Joyce is a well known presence in Ohio High School basketball.

8/17/2023 11:08 am  #9

I agree, Lebron is not a part of the Duquesne family.He is a good guy,does alot for Akron and is also a publicity hound.Dambrot is a loyal guy to Akron and i imagine Joyce is also.

8/17/2023 12:05 pm  #10

My only gripe with this game is the lack of TV or streaming.

8/17/2023 1:53 pm  #11

Good teams to add, people know Princeton.   And i think Bradley beat pitt in the NCAAs years ago, so locals will recognize that name too.

8/17/2023 3:40 pm  #12

I don't have a problem playing the game in Akron, if we play a quality opponent such as Bradley.  Most of the folks on this board have no idea how Lebron has helped Duquesne, but I have it from a very reliable source, that it is very significant.  If playing the game in Akron helps maintain the relationship then it can't be bad and if you really want to see the game, it's a very reasonable drive from Pittsburgh.

8/17/2023 5:17 pm  #13

levon1975 wrote:

I don't have a problem playing the game in Akron, if we play a quality opponent such as Bradley.  Most of the folks on this board have no idea how Lebron has helped Duquesne, but I have it from a very reliable source, that it is very significant.  If playing the game in Akron helps maintain the relationship then it can't be bad and if you really want to see the game, it's a very reasonable drive from Pittsburgh.

What is the big secret with how LeBron has helped Duquesne? Please tell what some of us who don’t know. Maybe this will help us understand. LeBron has let people know that he started Promise in Akron but since has back off, LeBron lets us know his political beliefs as well the social injustice that occurs in the USA. He has been very vocal of what he has done, who he supports and what he believes. So why the big secret of what he has done for Duquesne? So please tell us what some of you know.

8/17/2023 6:13 pm  #14

Wildwood, where did you get that LeBron has backed away from the Promise School?  According to this article from three weeks ago that although some of the test scores have been disappointing that LeBron's commitment is solid.

The LeBron James Family Foundation released a statement on Monday saying it remains steadfast in its commitment."When we started this work to wraparound students through education, we entered this partnership with Akron Public School for the long haul," the statement said. 
"Because this work requires a long-term commitment, hard work, and a lot of love and care. And that's what we bring each and every day because the I Promise School is more than a school. We're here for the ups and downs, and will continue to wraparound our students and their entire families so they can be successful in school and in life, no matter the challenges and obstacles that come their way."

LeBron James-backed I Promise School delivers 'discouraging' student test results: report | Fox News

As for what he does financially for Duquesne University, neither he, nor Duquesne, nor you nor anyone else is under any obligation to disclose financial information on a public forum.  

8/17/2023 8:10 pm  #15

CLK wrote:

Wildwood, where did you get that LeBron has backed away from the Promise School?  According to this article from three weeks ago that although some of the test scores have been disappointing that LeBron's commitment is solid.

The LeBron James Family Foundation released a statement on Monday saying it remains steadfast in its commitment."When we started this work to wraparound students through education, we entered this partnership with Akron Public School for the long haul," the statement said. 
"Because this work requires a long-term commitment, hard work, and a lot of love and care. And that's what we bring each and every day because the I Promise School is more than a school. We're here for the ups and downs, and will continue to wraparound our students and their entire families so they can be successful in school and in life, no matter the challenges and obstacles that come their way."

LeBron James-backed I Promise School delivers 'discouraging' student test results: report | Fox News

As for what he does financially for Duquesne University, neither he, nor Duquesne, nor you nor anyone else is under any obligation to disclose financial information on a public forum.  

CLK you should have been a lawyer😂

8/18/2023 9:05 am  #16

CLK wrote:

The LeBron James Family Foundation released a statement on Monday saying it remains steadfast in its commitment."When we started this work to wraparound students through education, we entered this partnership with 
Not sure where I read about LeBron and his backing away from his promoting his involvement from the school. The article did state he was still financially supporting the project. I am also well aware that a donor does not have to be identified when donating. Don’t really need to be educated on this subject matter. It is really not LeBrons m/o not to receive positive publicity. Either way it makes it more understandable if we knew why we lose a home game to play in a high school gym in Akron.  As far as that is the only way we can play a quality opponent, I’m not buying that garbage. When the NCAA selection committee looks at that game, a win over Duquesne in a high school gym on a neutral court is not going to improve their resume.  As far as recruiting in that area, we have yet to get a player from St. Mary’s or any other significant player from that area. I would rather see Duquesne go to youth basketball groups and offer free tickets to the kids and one of their parents to draw interest in the program in Western Pa. It’s just my opinion. But if LeBron has that game in Akron as a stipulation for his donation to the Dukes it makes it all the easier to understand and accept.  Done with the discussion on this subject matter. Safe travels to our home game in Akron.=https://www.foxnews.com/category/us/us-regions/midwest/ohio]Akron Public School[/url] for the long haul," the statement said. 

Board footera