Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/28/2023 10:04 am  #1

What a Crock.... NIT eliminates Auto Bid for Reg Season Conf Champs

The NCAA has eliminated the traditional auto bid to the NIT which went to a regular season conference champion who happened to lose in their conference tournament.  This means that teams in weaker conferences (let's say the bottom 14-16 conferences) will never have a team participate in the NIT.

There is a new set of auto bids - for the Power 6 conferences. 
"Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams — based on the NET rankings — from each of the six major conferences, the Atlantic Coast, the Big East, the Big Ten, the Big 12, the Pac-12 and the Southeastern.

The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA Tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT."

If this change was in effect last year, we would have seen Oklahoma out of the SEC with a 15-17 record and a 5-13 conference record be invited to the NIT.  As compared to a Youngstown State who finished 1st in the Horizon League with a 15-5 conference record and 24-10 overall.  For these conferences, the change makes the regular season standings less meaningful and relevant.  What a crock....

2023 NIT bracket: Scores, schedule from the men's tournament | NCAA.com

10/28/2023 11:03 am  #2

Re: What a Crock.... NIT eliminates Auto Bid for Reg Season Conf Champs

The big football schools doing their best to crush everyone else.

10/28/2023 2:17 pm  #3

And OF COURSE -  those 2 teams (such as Oklahoma in Phoenix's example) would get HOME GAME (s) 

GOD FORBID they go on the road to play a team that managed a much better record in a lower conference.

Wonder what kind of asterisk they might put in for the PAC 12 (who might be the PAC2)  if Washington State and Oregon State can't find anyone else --  If they merge with some schools in the Mountain West etc will it still be a Power 6 Conference????

10/31/2023 10:57 am  #4

https://theathletic.com/5017262/2023/10/31/nit-changes-ncaa-tournament/?source=user_shared_article

Dana O’Neil’s article highlights the angst over this sneaky move.

10/31/2023 2:11 pm  #5

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

https://theathletic.com/5017262/2023/10/31/nit-changes-ncaa-tournament/?source=user_shared_article

I wasn't able to retrieve this without buying a subscription to The Athletic but have read enough on the internet to say that the articles on it have ranged from neutral to negative in opinion. The neutral ones parrot the official NCAA rationalization. For a long time, I have felt that the previous AQ's kept schools like ours from the NIT. Well, the NCAA removed them and replaced them with P6 AQ's. Andy Katz said that Fox was considering holding a P6 tournament of its own and this change was meant to thwart that. Perhaps, but it's just another example of the NCAA making non-P5/6 schools irrelevant. The way the NET ranking is set up we can't get home games (or in the case of Pitt, any game) with P6 schools because we're not a Quad 1 opponent. There are more one-bid leagues for the NCAA tournament than in the past. In football, non-P5 FBS schools are only good for pay-for-play games, Tuesday and Wednesday night TV games, and minor bowls. Some changes in our favor are overdue.

10/31/2023 2:42 pm  #6

scduke, I was hoping that the Athletic would allow non subscribers to access a couple articles a month; guess I was wrong.  Your points are very valid.  The other issue is that this was done without any discussion/vote/etc.

Here's an exceprt from the article:
"Coaches are angry. Conference commissioners are furious. They feel jilted, blindsided and hoodwinked. It’s fair to say that the NIT hasn’t generated this much emotion in 40 years.The reorganization of the secondary postseason tournament has everyone on high alert — not just because of how the selection process has changed but also because of how the news was delivered.
No vote. No warning. A source on the men’s basketball oversight committee said they had not been given a heads-up. Nor was the National Association of Basketball Coaches informed, according to executive director Craig Robinson. Save for an email sent 30 minutes before the actual news dropped on Friday afternoon, no one had any advance notice that the 2024 NIT would undergo a wholesale change, eliminating automatic bids for all regular-season champions who fail to survive their conference tournament, with those instead going to the Power 6 teams with the top NET rankings who don’t make the NCAA Tournament. (The women’s NIT is not affected by these changes.)"

10/31/2023 4:30 pm  #7

Money, money and then more money
The regular season champ of non 6 schools that lose can 
be better than a power 6 school that ranks high on NET
Numerous examples of the underdog team of lower ranked non 6 team
winning over a power 6 in tournaments
this may backfire at least I hope so
solution would be to expand the NCAA tournaments

10/31/2023 6:01 pm  #8

scduke wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I wasn't able to retrieve this without buying a subscription to The Athletic but have read enough on the internet to say that the articles on it have ranged from neutral to negative in opinion. The neutral ones parrot the official NCAA rationalization. For a long time, I have felt that the previous AQ's kept schools like ours from the NIT. Well, the NCAA removed them and replaced them with P6 AQ's. Andy Katz said that Fox was considering holding a P6 tournament of its own and this change was meant to thwart that. Perhaps, but it's just another example of the NCAA making non-P5/6 schools irrelevant. The way the NET ranking is set up we can't get home games (or in the case of Pitt, any game) with P6 schools because we're not a Quad 1 opponent. There are more one-bid leagues for the NCAA tournament than in the past. In football, non-P5 FBS schools are only good for pay-for-play games, Tuesday and Wednesday night TV games, and minor bowls. Some changes in our favor are overdue.

I believe the changes in smaller schools favor only become possible when they really start eating their own.  Example’s Washington State and Oregon State.   There are going to be many schools that aren’t going to make the cut for when the ACC implodes and it becomes the P3.  The Big 10, SEC and the way it looks the Big 12.   There will be a long list of schools on the outside looking in like

Cal
Stanford
Pittsburgh
Duke
Syracuse
Louisville
Wake Forest
Boston College
NC State

Then the B10, SEC and Big 12 will start throwing out their dead weight
Purdue
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Arkansas
Cincinnati
UCF
BYU   Yes I know they the latter three just joined but it they have room for schools like this.

I’m sure everyone can add schools that will be in jeopardy.    Eventually it will be maybe 2 conferences of maybe 40 schools and the remainder of the country will lose interest.   

That’s when things will change.

Last edited by DuqBlue (10/31/2023 6:03 pm)

10/31/2023 10:16 pm  #9

This does really suck. One of the best live games I've ever seen was Coppin State 15 seed beat South Carolina 2 seed at the Arena in the first round game in '97. South Carolina was the SEC regular season champ. Coppin State didn't even have their own band. The Arena was going absolutely nuts rooting for Fang's Gang. Then they almost beat Texas in the round of 32. Here's hoping that rumor of the NCAA's expanding comes to fruition.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera