Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2023 11:05 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Cleveland State University Vikings

yak-rbc wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

There's also another song that the band used to play that I loved where it was a chant "ohhhh ohhh" in a melody I cannot recall. It's not like I could convey a melody over a chat forum anyway but after the ball got inbounded and the band stopped playing the crowd would continue the melody. Anybody have any idea of what I'm talking about?

Yes Bluffhunter!!! I ask people all the time about that song and no one seems to know what I am talking about. I can’t even remember the melody though, but I used to love hearing that at the games. Such a cool tradition! If anyone knows what we’re talking about please let us know.

the song you are referring to was called Welcome Home. I thought it was written by an old pep bander from many years ago but i found it online by a different school and now realize it might have just been a specific arrangement. anyway there hasn't been a pep band for the last few years, i doubt anyone left still has the music for it
Welcome Home (long).MOV - YouTube

That is it!!! The itch has been scratched! We definitely need to get the new pep band to add this to the rotation! 

11/08/2023 11:35 am  #52

BluffHunter wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Yes Bluffhunter!!! I ask people all the time about that song and no one seems to know what I am talking about. I can’t even remember the melody though, but I used to love hearing that at the games. Such a cool tradition! If anyone knows what we’re talking about please let us know.

the song you are referring to was called Welcome Home. I thought it was written by an old pep bander from many years ago but i found it online by a different school and now realize it might have just been a specific arrangement. anyway there hasn't been a pep band for the last few years, i doubt anyone left still has the music for it

That is it!!! The itch has been scratched! We definitely need to get the new pep band to add this to the rotation! 

That is NOT it.  This is it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdeXOuj_538

As a side note, when the school district that I lived in as a child merged with the neighboring school district in the 1960s the 2 communities involved fought over everything and I mean everything.  The fight over what would be the new school fight song was particularly bitter for some reason.  However the problem was solved by the newly hired high school band director who was a grad of the Duquesne School of Music.  He said I'm not using either of the previous fight songs, I'm using a new one.  That new one was the Duquesne University fight song.  

11/08/2023 11:37 am  #53

VBC wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

As a side note, when the school district that I lived in as a child merged with the neighboring school district in the 1960s the 2 communities involved fought over everything and I mean everything.  The fight over what would be the new school fight song was particularly bitter for some reason.  However the problem was solved by the newly hired high school band director who was a grad of the Duquesne School of Music.  He said I'm not using either of the previous fight songs, I'm using a new one.  That new one was the Duquesne University fight song.  

That is the fight song. That is not the song I was referencing in my question. The song YAK linked is definitely the one I was thinking of. 

11/08/2023 11:39 am  #54

STEW. - I private messaged you in an email.  Please check.  And thanks for your enthusiasm the other night.
FAM

11/08/2023 11:42 am  #55

BluffHunter wrote:

VBC wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

That is the fight song. That is not the song I was referencing in my question. The song YAK linked is definitely the one I was thinking of. 

Okay, I was thinking you were looking for the fight song.

11/08/2023 11:45 am  #56

VBC wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

VBC wrote:

Although I was also wondering if they played the fight song after the game, I cannot recall.

11/08/2023 12:33 pm  #57

BluffHunter wrote:

VBC wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Although I was also wondering if they played the fight song after the game, I cannot recall.

I wasn't paying attention but I hope they did.  The band was a bit rough for the opening game but I'm looking for improvement as the season progresses.  

11/08/2023 5:02 pm  #58

11/08/2023 5:17 pm  #59

In this case, I think neither. The offensive foul was most likely called because of the forearm extension rather than the more common, collision block/charge.

Refs seem to call this kind of offensive foul more often during momentum swings. I think it is because they "feel" the team losing momentum is losing control & perhaps forcing the action.

I am sure that someone is going to post that refs don't think that way. That is correct. That's why I  chose the word, feel. That kind of loaded, instinctual judgement is inherent in all human endeavors. I am not saying the refs are acting nefariously. I am saying they are subject to the same emotions as everyone else.

For me, this  call is a very close one, but I lean toward it being a play on as there is a little flopping going on there.

11/08/2023 5:45 pm  #60

I think it was a good call.  I had a similar angle of view as the referee and he kind of bulled into the CSU player just as he started his move. From the camera angle it looks like a block. 

11/08/2023 5:46 pm  #61

phil95 wrote:

In this case, I think neither. The offensive foul was most likely called because of the forearm extension rather than the more common, collision block/charge.

Refs seem to call this kind of offensive foul more often during momentum swings. I think it is because they "feel" the team losing momentum is losing control & perhaps forcing the action.

I am sure that someone is going to post that refs don't think that way. That is correct. That's why I chose the word, feel. That kind of loaded, instinctual judgement is inherent in all human endeavors. I am not saying the refs are acting nefariously. I am saying they are subject to the same emotions as everyone else.

For me, this call is a very close one, but I lean toward it being a play on as there is a little flopping going on there.

My thought at the time was it should have been a play on but I may be a little biased every now and again.

11/09/2023 9:33 am  #62

VBC wrote:

I think it was a good call.  I had a similar angle of view as the referee and he kind of bulled into the CSU player just as he started his move. From the camera angle it looks like a block. 

Definitely a questionable call.  When I slowed down the video it looks to me like the defender moved his feet and slid into Clark as he made his move.   But after watching the officiating at Duquesne over the years I no longer understand the rules.  

11/09/2023 10:19 am  #63

phil95 wrote:

I am sure that someone is going to post that refs don't think that way. That is correct. That's why I  chose the word, feel. That kind of loaded, instinctual judgement is inherent in all human endeavors. I am not saying the refs are acting nefariously. I am saying they are subject to the same emotions as everyone else.

For me, this  call is a very close one, but I lean toward it being a play on as there is a little flopping going on there.

I agree with this.  There was a call in the 2nd half that went against the Duquesne defender (maybe Clark?) that was very similar. Cleve St player drives and throws his forearm into our guy and it was called a block. Happened right in front of my section and everybody hated the call. Cleve St had the momentum at the time and it fueled them.

11/09/2023 11:23 am  #64

I agree with this. There was a call in the 2nd half that went against the Duquesne defender (maybe Clark?) that was very similar. Cleve St player drives and throws his forearm into our guy and it was called a block. Happened right in front of my section and everybody hated the call. Cleve St had the momentum at the time and it fueled them.

I think that was Rozier who rode a forearm shiv from the foul line to the hoop. Cleve. St. was very adept at doing that.

11/09/2023 12:44 pm  #65

To me while watching live, I thought that the defender did a great job of anticipating that Clark was going right and beat him to the spot.  Tre was surprised and ended up off balance, causing his forearm to extend.  Close call, but I think they got that call right.

The call on Rozier with 2 minutes or so left in a tie game was horrible.  Lowder (#3) had a full head of steam and gave Rozier a forearm shiver that sent Rozier flying backward.

The other call that stood out to me was an over the back call on (I believe) Dixon.  It was marginal at best, but the refs had several opportunities to make the same call on CSU and did not. Dambrot was all over the refs for that lack of consistency. 

11/09/2023 1:11 pm  #66

Here's a weird stat from the game....
Dukes shot 61.5% (8 of 13) on 3 point shots taken from the right half of the court.  They only shot 7.1% (1 of 14) on 3 point shots taken from the left and center of the court.

Board footera