Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2023 8:22 pm  #1

Game Thread - College of Charleston Cougars

6:00pm EST tip on Friday 11/10/2023 at Alumni Hall, US Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD
2023 Veterans Classic

Betting line: Dukes are a Pick Em'; Over/Under 154
Duquesne 0-1 Against the Spread: College of Charleston 0-1 ATS

Per KenPom (362 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #90 (1-0) vs College of Charleston Cougars #103 (1-0)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 1, 77-76 - Dukes with 54% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=284
Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #111 vs College of Charleston #121
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 1, 76.06-75.56
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=487&tid2=4391&neut=1
Per BartTorvik:
Dukes #56 vs College of Charleston #84
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 3, 78-75 - Dukes with a 59% probability of a win.
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duquesne&year=2024
Duquesne Preview: https://goduquesne.com/news/2023/11/9/mens-basketball-preview-dukes-face-charleston-in-veterans-classic.aspx Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/documents/2023/11/8/02_Charleston.pdf College of Charleston Game Notes: https://cofcsports.com/news/2023/11/9/womens-golf-cougars-to-compete-in-veterans-classic.aspx 
Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2024.html College of Charleston:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/college-of-charleston/men/2024.html
Dukes KenPom Best Wins: Cleveland St. (169) 
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses:
College of Charleston KenPom Best Wins:  Iona (161)
College of Charleston KenPom Worst Losses:

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 33.3%, 119 in D-1; Defense 45.0%, 244 in D-1
College of Charleston 3 Point:  Offense 17.9%, 253 in D-1; Defense 25.0%, 74 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 48.6%, 150 in D-1; Defense 43.2%, 76 in D-1
College of Charleston 2 Point:  Offense 64.5%, 29 in D-1; Defense 48.0%, 121 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 54.5%, 229 in D-1; Defense 63.2%, 92 in D-1
College of Charleston FT:  Offense 80.0%, 45 in D-1; Defense 75.0%, 188 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
College of Charleston Adj Offense Efficiency - 105.1; 100 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 99.2; 113 in D-1
College of Charleston Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.3; 133 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 105.5; 90 in D-1
College of Charleston Adj Tempo - 73.8; 43 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 71.8; 148 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
Experience - College of Charleston 1.85 yrs; 133 in D-1; Dukes 3.11 yrs; 9 in D-1
Average Height - College of Charleston 77.5"; 105 in D-1; Dukes 76.2"; 244 in D-1

11/09/2023 9:15 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - College of Charleston Cougars

FYI, the betting line is jumping all over the place. I have seen the Dukes favored by 2½ and CofC favored by 1. This is a really close matchup and hopefully a great game in which the Dukes snag a W.

11/09/2023 10:02 pm  #3

Sure would be nice to start off 2-0. Probably going to be another nailbiter. Hopefully Charleston doesn't find it's 3 point stroke till next game.

11/09/2023 11:35 pm  #4

AT&T U-verse has this game on its on-screen listings as a football game against the University of Charleston (West Virginia) Golden Eagles from Arthur J. Rooney Athletic Field.
Disrespect, ignorance, or what?

11/09/2023 11:35 pm  #5

Any TV info?

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/10/2023 12:13 am  #6

CBS Sports Network channel.

11/10/2023 5:55 am  #7

If Duquesne is getting to the NCAA or NIT, they need to win this one.
Go Dukes.

11/10/2023 8:39 am  #8

scduke wrote:

AT&T U-verse has this game on its on-screen listings as a football game against the University of Charleston (West Virginia) Golden Eagles from Arthur J. Rooney Athletic Field.
Disrespect, ignorance, or what?

I'd like to think only some Artificial Intelligence could screw something up that much.

11/10/2023 10:23 am  #9

Big game, will certainly catch some eyes if we can win tonight.   It will be tough.  Caught some highlights of them, and they looked strong inside.

I saw Dayton lost their starting PG for the season with knee injury(meniscus).   He averaged about 9 ppg last year.   Maliki Smith.   

11/10/2023 12:19 pm  #10

I'm looking for Savrasov and Rozier to pick up the scoring a little tonight and for Dae Dae to shoot at a higher percentage. If that happens I think we'll have a good shot at getting the win.

11/10/2023 2:06 pm  #11

I was definitely encouraged by the depth and versatility this roster displayed in game 1 (not even including Hronsky, Nicholls, or Mahorcic yet). That being said, would have hoped for a slightly more convincing win against CSU in game 1, although they may have been underrated going into the first game. They certainly have a big 3 of guys who could be solid to very good A10 players.

That was still a matchup where we were favored by 10.5 or so and it took that late clutch baseline 3 from Drame to claw back and win it. Our free throw shooting had a huge role in why that game was so close so hopefully we can improve there as there weren’t many other aspects of the game to criticize on either end for the Dukes.

I think Savrosov will improve and if he can, he could be extremely important for us as a big physical guard forward type player at the 3 spot who can play inside and out with a versatile skill set. He looked nervous to me more than anything in the first game, admittedly it’s a step up in level but he was good enough to go to a power 5 school initially and I still think he displayed why.

Fundamentally I thought he looked really strong on Monday, good hands, good handle, moved extremely well with and without the basketball and was a strong rebounder. Looked jittery and I think that was why his jump shot was so off. He has the college scoring production chops and clearly the green light from the coaching staff to take a good number of shots, so hoping he can improve the shooting and lock down the 3 spot.

This is a huge litmus test game in my opinion for this team. Charleston is one of the best and most consistent mid major programs of recent memory, they have cracked the top 25 and have had 2 tourney bids in the last 5 years. This is essentially what Duquesne has been trying to become since hiring Dambrot.

Good team on a nuetral court. Win this one and I like our chances of going into the Nebraska game 5-0 to start the toughest 3 game stretch of the OOC schedule. Lose tonight and it’s unfortunately same old Duquesne. Had my hopes crushed too many times to be hopeful on an encouraging roster alone, but if we pull this one out tonight I think I can start buying this team having a chance to do something this year.

11/10/2023 3:29 pm  #12

Someone told me we're ! and 1/2 pt. dogs now.

11/10/2023 3:44 pm  #13

WashPaRick wrote:

I'm looking for Savrasov and Rozier to pick up the scoring a little tonight and for Dae Dae to shoot at a higher percentage. If that happens I think we'll have a good shot at getting the win.

I’m not going to disagree but I’d really like to see Rozier around the 12-15 mins per game mark.  He played far too many minutes and is not a valuable contributor in that role. 30 mins vs Cleve St?!?  Only Dae Dae played more.  I know KD has forgotten more basketball than I will ever know but there has to be better rotations without Rozier. Use him as an energy guy who can add some scoring!  He’s valuable in that role. We are not an A-10 contender with Rozier being 2nd on the team in mins.  With everybody we picked up in the off season there’s no excuse.  I’m hoping those mins were a reward for his excellent character and the way he represents the team.  Maybe to show the other guys how that type of thing can be rewarded.  But as the season progresses those mins need to reduce.

But WashPaRick-if he IS in there then yes, we need more scoring from him.

11/10/2023 3:52 pm  #14

Duques102 wrote:

I was definitely encouraged by the depth and versatility this roster displayed in game 1 (not even including Hronsky, Nicholls, or Mahorcic yet). That being said, would have hoped for a slightly more convincing win against CSU in game 1, although they may have been underrated going into the first game. They certainly have a big 3 of guys who could be solid to very good A10 players.

That was still a matchup where we were favored by 10.5 or so and it took that late clutch baseline 3 from Drame to claw back and win it. Our free throw shooting had a huge role in why that game was so close so hopefully we can improve there as there weren’t many other aspects of the game to criticize on either end for the Dukes.

I think Savrosov will improve and if he can, he could be extremely important for us as a big physical guard forward type player at the 3 spot who can play inside and out with a versatile skill set. He looked nervous to me more than anything in the first game, admittedly it’s a step up in level but he was good enough to go to a power 5 school initially and I still think he displayed why.

Fundamentally I thought he looked really strong on Monday, good hands, good handle, moved extremely well with and without the basketball and was a strong rebounder. Looked jittery and I think that was why his jump shot was so off. He has the college scoring production chops and clearly the green light from the coaching staff to take a good number of shots, so hoping he can improve the shooting and lock down the 3 spot.

This is a huge litmus test game in my opinion for this team. Charleston is one of the best and most consistent mid major programs of recent memory, they have cracked the top 25 and have had 2 tourney bids in the last 5 years. This is essentially what Duquesne has been trying to become since hiring Dambrot.

Good team on a nuetral court. Win this one and I like our chances of going into the Nebraska game 5-0 to start the toughest 3 game stretch of the OOC schedule. Lose tonight and it’s unfortunately same old Duquesne. Had my hopes crushed too many times to be hopeful on an encouraging roster alone, but if we pull this one out tonight I think I can start buying this team having a chance to do something this year.

I agree with everything here.  I’ll just point out that you can’t put any stock in the betting line in these early games. The fact that Duquesne was 10.5 point favorite is meaningless as it applies to quality of teams. My buddy is a bookie/pro gambler and always says you HAVE to make your money in the early weeks of any season. Book makers have no idea how good anybody is and the lines are drawn solely to get as much money bet on both sides. By mid season they’ll know what they are talking about.   I’ll trust the lines come January - But not this week.

11/10/2023 4:42 pm  #15

This is the kind of team we need to beat if we are actually a tournament team. It will take a total team effort to do so though. They're tough inside, so Barre and Dixon will have their hands full. I think we are definitely more athletic on the perimeter, but we need to be more disciplined than we were in the first game and still knock down some outside shots. I think we do in a close win. Dukes 75 Cougars 74.

11/10/2023 5:44 pm  #16

luckymcd wrote:

This is the kind of team we need to beat if we are actually a tournament team. It will take a total team effort to do so though. They're tough inside, so Barre and Dixon will have their hands full. I think we are definitely more athletic on the perimeter, but we need to be more disciplined than we were in the first game and still knock down some outside shots. I think we do in a close win. Dukes 75 Cougars 74.

I agree. The Dukes need to win tonight to be a real top A-10 team.

11/10/2023 7:05 pm  #17

Well the tournament got a close game one way or another. Sometimes you have to craft them. This one would probably be over by now if there wasn’t a 20 to 2 free throw discrepancy.

But we have to respond better when it starts to go that way. Very poor end of the half.

11/10/2023 7:08 pm  #18

21 pt swing in last 14 mins.   Ouch!
Hopefully he can clear their heads and get back to playing defense….the defense that keyed their hot start scoring.

11/10/2023 7:09 pm  #19

Poor is  a kind word.  They imploded in the last 10 minutes of the first half.  No defense of the 3 and couldn't hit the side of a barn.

11/10/2023 7:18 pm  #20

I’m very surprised that the Dukes cannot get any interior scoring at all. Looking for a big half out of Dixon and Dae Dae finding his stroke.

11/10/2023 7:19 pm  #21

FAM you hit the nail on the head.  Another thing is did we have any set play when the 3's weren't falling???  Why was Clark in the game with 2 fouls and about 2 minutes left??!!  C'mon Keith he needs to be taken out and then Clark compounds the coaching mistake by taking an absolutely stupid reach in foul and now has 3 fouls.  Finally, as I have said many times, Rozier is not an A-10 quality STARTING point guard!!  Clark needs to start at the point and then maybe start one of the Drame twins.  So far I am also not too impressed with the Russian kid.

11/10/2023 7:20 pm  #22

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I’m very surprised that the Dukes cannot get any interior scoring at all. Looking for a big half out of Dixon and Dae Dae finding his stroke.

Gonna hurt not having Tre Williams to help that inside scoring.

11/10/2023 7:52 pm  #23

This can’t be the same Rozier I always read about on this message board right? 😉

11/10/2023 7:53 pm  #24

Rozier having a very nice 5 mins. Not eating my words - this is what he’s great at.  Get Jimmy G back in the game now. Everything works better when he’s in the game

11/10/2023 7:56 pm  #25

Necas is a talented rebounder

Board footera