Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2023 5:11 pm  #1

Programs

My wife always likes the Western PA trip (from TN), which we do once every DU basketball season. Unfortunate ending to Wednesday's game.

My wife likes spending the afternoon shopping in the Strip District, and she watches the game intently without knowing too much about it. I don't need a program to know who the Duquesne's players are and where they came from etc.  After entering the Coop, she was looking for a game program, and it actually surprised me that such a thing is no longer available. What's up with that? Not attending games regularly, it was puzzling to me too. A program is certainly of interest to casual attendees who may want to know things that fans don't need in a program. Regular fans already know the DU players' previous stats, states or countries of origin, heights etc., although even fans of the team may not have known of the need to have previously accessed the opposition's scoring, rebound leaders etc.. 

Has the game program already gone the way where the shopping bags with the iconic store names will be after the new year starts?  Several shop personnel told us we will have to bring bags next year. 

11/17/2023 6:15 pm  #2

Re: Programs

applecorps wrote:

My wife always likes the Western PA trip (from TN), which we do once every DU basketball season. Unfortunate ending to Wednesday's game.

My wife likes spending the afternoon shopping in the Strip District, and she watches the game intently without knowing too much about it. I don't need a program to know who the Duquesne's players are and where they came from etc.  After entering the Coop, she was looking for a game program, and it actually surprised me that such a thing is no longer available. What's up with that? Not attending games regularly, it was puzzling to me too. A program is certainly of interest to casual attendees who may want to know things that fans don't need in a program. Regular fans already know the DU players' previous stats, states or countries of origin, heights etc., although even fans of the team may not have known of the need to have previously accessed the opposition's scoring, rebound leaders etc.. 

Has the game program already gone the way where the shopping bags with the iconic store names will be after the new year starts?  Several shop personnel told us we will have to bring bags next year. 

Sad, this administration thinks, that  us,  60 plus years olds in the stands, are, ,or, are ever, in to this bull crap. The very loud, over the top, canned music really appeals to actually, NO ONE ON EARTH !!!     It makes our court a neutral site?  Who in the hell is doing this to us?  Stop it.

11/17/2023 7:58 pm  #3

NapaDuke wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Sad, this administration thinks, that  us,  60 plus years olds in the stands, are, ,or, are ever, in to this bull crap. The very loud, over the top, canned music really appeals to actually, NO ONE ON EARTH !!!     It makes our court a neutral site?  Who in the hell is doing this to us?  Stop it.

Yes, the volume needs to be toned down. Hard to understand over-amping to that extent. Loud music is fine at a rock concert, not needed in a basketball game. Play the canned music at the volume the band plays at.

11/18/2023 7:44 am  #4

applecorps wrote:

They are using electronic programs now and there is a code at the entrance you can scan with your phone to access. Unfortunately at the first game against Cleveland State it was an old version. 

11/18/2023 8:16 am  #5

Nobody cares. Yes we are getting old. New technology, music & beliefs. Go with the flow. The past is the past. Stay young. Your posts did give me an idea. How about a throwback 1950s home game in regard to the arena atmosphere. MLB Field of dreams atmosphere. No score board old time uniforms & yes old school programs. That one game would get national attention. Only problem Coach Dambrot & staff would have to wear a suit & tie. Unless a Nike swoosh is not on the suit jacket the coaches probably do not own a suit.😂 Go Dukes. 

Last edited by Ironduke81 (11/18/2023 8:17 am)

11/18/2023 8:34 am  #6

I miss the paper programs.  Yes, they are available on our phones but that is not as convenient as just looking at a sheet of paper quickly while you're trying to pay close attention to the game.  The thing that I really want to see is the roster for the opposing team to see the listed size of the players and their home towns.  So when I remember to do so I just print out a copy of the opposing team's roster and take it with me.  I'd rather just pick up a free program at the door like I used to do but it's no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

As for the music, I'm glad to have the pep band back and a 2 sousaphone pep band at that!  As for the volume it seems to me that's what the students want so I'm fine with that.  As far as the selection of music that is also what the students want so I'm fine with that also.  I've read too many complaints from old guys like me on this board over the years about the lack of student attendance and now you want to impose the music of past generations on these kids?  Give it up!  Let the kids have what they want.  They're the students now, it's their school and the players are their classmates and friends.  The music played should cater to the 18 to 25 year olds in the house not to a bunch of whining old folks who seem to spend much of their time saying hey you, get off of my lawn.

11/18/2023 5:44 pm  #7

My intention was not to impose old music on today's college students.

Didn't know going in there was a need to scan something and call it up on the phone to check the rosters. Also, I think it's OK to hope there's a menu delivered to your table when you enter a restaurant and waitstaff to take your order when the time comes.

There is more than enough of people staring at their cellphones already.

11/20/2023 10:02 am  #8

Kind of strange to be complaining about a 2 page paper program the weekend the teams win 2 key hoop games and the football team wins the conference.   

I do like the idea of a throwback game, would be unique for sure.

They can play nothing but top 20 songs and no more students are showing up, might as well play Bach and Beethoven.

Last edited by townsonkid (11/20/2023 10:03 am)

11/20/2023 10:29 am  #9

townsonkid wrote:

Kind of strange to be complaining about a 2 page paper program the weekend the teams win 2 key hoop games and the football team wins the conference.   

They can play nothing but top 20 songs and no more students are showing up, might as well play Bach and Beethoven.

Throwback game sound interesting.  Bring back the Red uniforms for a red-out.  As for the music, I want to clarify my frustration with it. It's not that I care pre-game, (though too loud to even talk to the person next to you.) Nor is it a bother at halftime, but again too loud, but at times during the game that the fans are getting into the game and cheering, it comes on and drowns out our fans? Play the prep band at those times. Anyone on this board that attends the games can tell you, the canned music is way too loud.  

11/20/2023 10:40 am  #10

townsonkid wrote:

Why is that strange? BTW, I wrote the comment before the 2nd hoop victory game even started.

Board footera