Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/24/2023 7:58 pm  #76

Re: Game Thread - University of Nebraska Cornhuskers

CLK wrote:

The way I see it we played a pretty solid Nebraska team on the road and played toe to toe despite the bias calls in the first half. Kareem was awesome and was the answer when Nebraska made their runs.  It was apparent to me that beginning the second half the decision was made by the refs to target him and he pick up two bullshit calls in less than two minutes of play. This gave Kareem 4 fouls and forced him to the bench. Anyone who doubts that these were bullshit calls needs to watch the replay. These were followed by a series of "questionable" calls.  This swung the momentum to where Nebraska either scored or shooting free throws.  The Dukes made a run late when both Kareem were back on the court together. Jimmy Clark was unstoppable, and the only answer to insure their win was for the ref to foul him out.  The officiating in this game was at best a biased epic home job, and at worst crooked and corrupt.  

That's exactly how I saw it. The decision was made at halftime, either individually or collectively, by the refs to decapitate the Dukes with bad calls.

11/25/2023 6:21 pm  #77

MikeR wrote:

CLK wrote:

The way I see it we played a pretty solid Nebraska team on the road and played toe to toe despite the bias calls in the first half. Kareem was awesome and was the answer when Nebraska made their runs.  It was apparent to me that beginning the second half the decision was made by the refs to target him and he pick up two bullshit calls in less than two minutes of play. This gave Kareem 4 fouls and forced him to the bench. Anyone who doubts that these were bullshit calls needs to watch the replay. These were followed by a series of "questionable" calls.  This swung the momentum to where Nebraska either scored or shooting free throws.  The Dukes made a run late when both Kareem were back on the court together. Jimmy Clark was unstoppable, and the only answer to insure their win was for the ref to foul him out.  The officiating in this game was at best a biased epic home job, and at worst crooked and corrupt.  

That's exactly how I saw it. The decision was made at halftime, either individually or collectively, by the refs to decapitate the Dukes with bad calls.

First off, on the road, and in the second half, expect bad calls. Whether the refs are intentional or not, don't expect to get the close calls. The Dukes would have been more successful in the second half going down and shooting quick 3's and crash the boards. The refs have less impact on the 3 ball shooter then going inside at that moment, also, rebounds off of 3's general bounce away from the interior paint, leaving less bias call in the paint.  I watched VCU get that same second half treatment from the refs and they didn't adjust, but kept driving into fouls? Heck, in that second half for VCU, they would pass early on the clock to a wide open 3 ball, but the player did that head fake to no one and drive the lane to a foul or pass it back to the 3 line only to again head-fake and drive to a foul? Man, shoot the quick 3's on the road. Just saying. You can't beat the opponent and the refs in those situations.

11/25/2023 6:35 pm  #78

Clark needs to not draw fouls on the road early. Being aggressive at home is likely more rewarded than getting into early foul trouble on the road. Clark's moves to the rim are far more important than stripping the ball, early in the game. Also, both technicals gave Neb. 8 points, not 4, because they got the ball back after the shots that denied us a chance at scoring. That, plus some quick 3's down the stretch was the difference in winning that game on the road. Refs or no refs. We could have won it. Just need to play it in a way to minimize the refs in the second half on the road. Working too many set play inside in the second half on the road, and too many passes just increases the chance of bad call from the refs. Also, both technical were called because we pissed off the refs. Those pissed off refs are likely to not call anything our way the rest of the game, so, don't try to piss off the refs. 

Last edited by NapaDuke (11/26/2023 12:47 pm)

11/25/2023 6:58 pm  #79

Napa  you my friend are delusional. Sorry this game was fixed. Good fellows style. The Dukes played their behinds off. Please your comments are a joke.

11/25/2023 11:04 pm  #80

Ironduke81 wrote:

Napa you my friend are delusional. Sorry this game was fixed. Good fellows style. The Dukes played their behinds off. Please your comments are a joke.

It would seem that you agree that the refs were partial, right? Then if so, how would you mitigate  close calls if you are sure that any contact may go Neb way? I agree the Dukes played their butts off too, but if the refs are bias then what's your adjustments going down the stretch? We clearly were out-rebounding them and the PF were dukes 24 but Neb. just 13 ?  Shooting approx. 30 percet from the 3 point range at that point in that game is a better idea then picking up more fouls with more contact trying for a 2-ball in the paint?

Last edited by NapaDuke (11/26/2023 9:28 am)

11/26/2023 3:38 pm  #81

NapaDuke wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Napa you my friend are delusional. Sorry this game was fixed. Good fellows style. The Dukes played their behinds off. Please your comments are a joke.

It would seem that you agree that the refs were partial, right? Then if so, how would you mitigate  close calls if you are sure that any contact may go Neb way? I agree the Dukes played their butts off too, but if the refs are bias then what's your adjustments going down the stretch? We clearly were out-rebounding them and the PF were dukes 24 but Neb. just 13 ?  Shooting approx. 30 percet from the 3 point range at that point in that
game is a better idea then picking up more fouls with more contact trying for a 2-ball in the paint?

So Napa, what you are saying is we had to make adjustments. How do you do that with your 4th and 5th guards on the depth chart with little or no experience on the floor. Also the refs crippled our inside game with both post players being riddled with fouls and we have no backups for them. So, you want the coach to make major adjustments  with little or no experienced players on the road against a power five school. Good luck with that!!!

11/26/2023 4:12 pm  #82

Wildwood13 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

It would seem that you agree that the refs were partial, right? Then if so, how would you mitigate  close calls if you are sure that any contact may go Neb way? I agree the Dukes played their butts off too, but if the refs are bias then what's your adjustments going down the stretch? We clearly were out-rebounding them and the PF were dukes 24 but Neb. just 13 ?  Shooting approx. 30 percet from the 3 point range at that point in that
game is a better idea then picking up more fouls with more contact trying for a 2-ball in the paint?

So Napa, what you are saying is we had to make adjustments. How do you do that with your 4th and 5th guards on the depth chart with little or no experience on the floor. Also the refs crippled our inside game with both post players being riddled with fouls and we have no backups for them. So, you want the coach to make major adjustments with little or no experienced players on the road against a power five school. Good luck with that!!!

So if you look at the situation you just described, then yes, try some fast 3's and with those 4th and 5th guards. KD used Jake in the closing seconds of the Princeton game for a 3 and it worked. Also, you mentioned the refs crippled our interior game, so again, why not. Most missed 3's bounce farther out from the basket and just about anyone will rebound it. This isn't an every game kind of adjustment, but it was very clear early in the second half that  the refs interfered way too much to believe we were going to close the gap playing half court at that point. 

11/26/2023 4:29 pm  #83

NapaDuke wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

So Napa, what you are saying is we had to make adjustments. How do you do that with your 4th and 5th guards on the depth chart with little or no experience on the floor. Also the refs crippled our inside game with both post players being riddled with fouls and we have no backups for them. So, you want the coach to make major adjustments with little or no experienced players on the road against a power five school. Good luck with that!!!

So if you look at the situation you just described, then yes, try some fast 3's and with those 4th and 5th guards. KD used Jake in the closing seconds of the Princeton game for a 3 and it worked. Also, you mentioned the refs crippled our interior game, so again, why not. Most missed 3's bounce farther out from the basket and just about anyone will rebound it. This isn't an every game kind of adjustment, but it was very clear early in the second half that  the refs interfered way too much to believe we were going to close the gap playing half court at that point. 

In my opinion coach made the correct choice and tried to keep it close as he could until he brought his guards back in. And it was working after a nice run and Jimmy getting hit in the head. Instead of cutting it to six with all the momentum. He didn’t get the and one and a technical was issued to push the lead back to 8 with the ball. Your way you are hoping your 4th and 5th guards go lights out shooting threes. In my opinion it would have gone the opposite way with an insurmountable lead. Agree to disagree. Napa you have to understand I am not a Dambrot fan, but I did like the way he prepared for this game and how he tried to stay composed and coach the team. The Princeton game is another story. End of the game no designed play, Clark just go one in one with no options.

11/26/2023 4:37 pm  #84

Wildwood13 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

So if you look at the situation you just described, then yes, try some fast 3's and with those 4th and 5th guards. KD used Jake in the closing seconds of the first half in the Princeton game for a 3 and it worked. Also, you mentioned the refs crippled our interior game, so again, why not. Most missed 3's bounce farther out from the basket and just about anyone will rebound it. This isn't an every game kind of adjustment, but it was very clear early in the second half that  the refs interfered way too much to believe we were going to close the gap playing half court at that point. 

In my opinion coach made the correct choice and tried to keep it close as he could until he brought his guards back in. And it was working after a nice run and Jimmy getting hit in the head. Instead of cutting it to six with all the momentum. He didn’t get the and one and a technical was issued to push the lead back to 8 with the ball. Your way you are hoping your 4th and 5th guards go lights out shooting threes. In my opinion it would have gone the opposite way with an insurmountable lead. Agree to disagree. Napa you have to understand I am not a Dambrot fan, but I did like the way he prepared for this game and how he tried to stay composed and coach the team. The Princeton game is another story. End of the game no designed play, Clark just go one in one with no options.

Good point, but the Dukes on the road are going to have to cut down on fouls especially early. If KD wants us to stay close late, it's critical to not let the refs hurt us early.  If you watch other games this season, there seems to be more bad calls against visiting teams than I've seen in the past. 

Last edited by NapaDuke (11/26/2023 4:37 pm)

12/03/2023 5:37 pm  #85

Nebraska getting ass smacked at home against Creighton. Down 26 in second half.

12/03/2023 9:50 pm  #86

Dukes would have beaten Nebraska without the hometown refs,guess you cant pull that stuff off on Creighton

12/04/2023 3:05 pm  #87

WashPaRick wrote:

Nebraska getting ass smacked at home against Creighton. Down 26 in second half.

Creighton launched 40 3-point attempts in that game, never before of after?  Making 14 which was over half of their scoring from the field(just 34 percent, like the Duke could have in their game against Neb.)?  I guess their coaching staff watched the Dukes get screwed  not launching 3's and either figured Neb. doesn't defend the perimeter well, or the refs will screw their inside game too much, or both. Creighton hasn't shot more than 29 3-pt attempts in any other game this season.

Last edited by NapaDuke (12/06/2023 2:53 am)

Board footera