Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2024 8:19 pm  #1

Game Thread - Chicago State University Cougars

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 1/31/2024 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Betting line: Dukes are 12½ point favorites; Over/Under 132½
Duquesne 7-11 Against the Spread: Chicago St. 11-11-2 ATS

NET Ranking:  Dukes 97; Chicago St. 287

Per KenPom (362 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #103 (11-8; 2-5 A10) vs Chicago St. #292 (11-15; 9-15 vs D-1)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 14, 73-59 - Dukes with 90% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=3821 
Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #116 vs Chicago St. #289
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 14, 72.88-59.06
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4283&tid2=4391&neut=0
Per BartTorvik:
Dukes #97 vs Chicago St. #275
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 14, 72-58 - Dukes with a 92% probability of a win.
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duquesne&year=2024
Duquesne Preview: https://goduquesne.com/news/2024/1/30/mens-basketball-preview-chicago-state-vs-duquesne.aspx Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/documents/2024/1/30/20_Chicago_State.pdf Chicago St. Game Notes: 
Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2024.html Chicago St.: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/chicago-state/men/2024.html 
Dukes KenPom Best Wins: Bradley (74); UC Irvine (77); St. Bonaventure (83); College of Charleston (121)   
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Loyola Chicago (125); Santa Clara (114); Saint Joseph's (96); UMass (93); Richmond (81); Princeton (67); Nebraska (51) 
Chicago St. KenPom Best Wins: Northwestern (47); Stetson (206); Valparaiso (288); UT Rio Grande Valley (304): Bethune Cookman (324) 
Chicago St. KenPom Worst Losses: Delaware St. (317); DePaul (283); Tennessee Martin (257); Mercer (240); Cal St. Northridge (236)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 32.7%, 218 in D-1; Defense 33.2%, 159 in D-1
Chicago St. 3 Point:  Offense 29.6%, 328 in D-1; Defense 32.3%, 108 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 49.1%, 230 in D-1; Defense 47.5%, 72 in D-1
Chicago St. 2 Point:  Offense 46.2%, 315 in D-1; Defense 55.3%, 337 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 68.8%, 277 in D-1; Defense 69.1%, 68 in D-1
Chicago St. FT:  Offense 70.1%, 235 in D-1; Defense 69.3%, 73 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Chicago St. Adj Offense Efficiency - 99.0; 303 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.6; 73 in D-1
Chicago St. Adj Defense Efficiency - 109.1; 243 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 107.4; 153 in D-1
Chicago St. Adj Tempo - 64.8; 326 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.4; 208 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
Experience - Chicago St. 1.83 yrs; 182 in D-1; Dukes 2.56 yrs; 45 in D-1
Average Height - Chicago St. 76.8"; 242 in D-1; Dukes 76.3"; 313 in D-1

1/30/2024 8:20 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Chicago State University Cougars

1/31/2024 9:44 am  #3

This is going to be quite an interesting game for a number of reasons. Chicago State will not be an easy out. Not necessarily a fan of this scheduling quirk but Dambrot has spoken about the challenge of non-con scheduling, but you take what you can get.

1/31/2024 10:24 am  #4

In order to demonstrate true progress, the Dukes need to produce a very convincing win tonight. No playing down to the  competition is allowed!

Taking care of business at home with no drama would signal maturity while setting the tone for the remainder of the season. Failing to do so will signal more uncertainty & interrupt the current positive vibe.

A 30 point victory is not necessary. Leaving no doubts as to who is the far superior team is. This one should be a strong indicator of who the Dukes will be going forward. The crap start to the conference schedule has made this an important game for measuring the heart & competitive spirit of this group.

The Dukes barely got by the Bonnies at home while the Bonnies had their worst shooting night of the season & didn’t play their most dynamic guy. Fordham will end up a lower-tier A-10 team. These wins have given me hope for a good finish to the conference season & a chance for a late season run. However, the Dukes have lots of work to do toward meeting their potential. Tonight is a chance to build confidence by convincing themselves they are a serious A-10 team.

1/31/2024 11:04 am  #5

The Dukes have focused on defense so far, but they should come out tonight with a more aggressive offense. They need to establish that they can score beyond the arch.

1/31/2024 12:20 pm  #6

NapaDuke wrote:

The Dukes have focused on defense so far, but they should come out tonight with a more aggressive offense. They need to establish that they can score beyond the arch.

I think Tristan Freeman made some great points in his article. Chicago state seems to have two tall guards who take on the task of producing the scoring... they also have similar last names. Outside D will be super important. I also like the idea that Mahorcic may be able to have a night down low... that would be a big confidence booster before the second half of conference play.

1/31/2024 4:22 pm  #7

phil95 wrote:

In order to demonstrate true progress, the Dukes need to produce a very convincing win tonight. No playing down to the competition is allowed!

Taking care of business at home with no drama would signal maturity while setting the tone for the remainder of the season. Failing to do so will signal more uncertainty & interrupt the current positive vibe.

A 30 point victory is not necessary. Leaving no doubts as to who is the far superior team is.

That's a pretty good assessment in my eyes. They won at Northwestern, so we obviously can't totally look past them; but it really shouldn't be close. Running them out of the building and getting the walk-ons in would be nice, but I think we need to continue to keep the focus on defense. I think the Dukes not only win, but cover by doing just that. Dukes 69 Chicago St. 53.

1/31/2024 5:57 pm  #8

I look at their schedule very impressive. Dukes 12.5. I would be happy with just a win. This is an overachieving team. Al Davis” Just win baby”👍

1/31/2024 6:48 pm  #9

Mahorcic, Clark, Williams, Rozier, DiMichelle starting.

Last edited by MikeR (1/31/2024 6:49 pm)

1/31/2024 7:49 pm  #10

What a disappointment this team is. 

1/31/2024 7:51 pm  #11

10-14 pts not on the board cause they miss layups and put backs.   🤮

This looks more like a game 1 of a season.

1/31/2024 8:00 pm  #12

I cannot recall a Duquesne team that missed layups and dunks as often and consistently as this year

The Great Spirit made us all. It is for this that we are all brothers

1/31/2024 8:02 pm  #13

Half two will be a lot better. Good minutes from Savrasov. Nice to see! Keep shooting them in Grant! Just need to be cleaner around the rim, having Dixon back this half should help that.

1/31/2024 8:16 pm  #14

I have been extremely impressed with Noah Buono on the color commentary so far. What a knowledgable and well-spoken young man!

1/31/2024 8:37 pm  #15

I am looking forward to KD's postgame presser so I can be educated about just how good & well-coached this Chicago State team is.

1/31/2024 8:40 pm  #16

This takes me back to Eastern Michigan.  Who was that guy?  Uh, George Gervin.

1/31/2024 8:41 pm  #17

This was a perfect game for us right now. They present unique challenges by switching everything 1 through 5. It forces you to play a little 1v1 or pound it inside which are both weaknesses for us at the moment. And they have two elite players. We have done great on one, and the other has killed us.

1/31/2024 8:43 pm  #18

CityDuke wrote:

This was a perfect game for us right now. They present unique challenges by switching everything 1 through 5. It forces you to play a little 1v1 or pound it inside which are both weaknesses for us at the moment. And they have two elite players. We have done great on one, and the other has killed us.

You do realize we are playing Chicago State?

1/31/2024 8:46 pm  #19

phil95 wrote:

I am looking forward to KD's postgame presser so I can be educated about just how good & well-coached this Chicago State team is.

Cant wait to hear that one. Hard to believe a team with this talent struggles mightily for a W against much lesser talent. It's old.

1/31/2024 8:52 pm  #20

DuqLaw95 wrote:

What a disappointment this team is. 

After the College of Charleston game where they played lights out running and pressing they went into some weird shell like Dambrot was afraid of success. That game should have been the template for their success instead it was totally abandoned. Why I dont know.

1/31/2024 9:01 pm  #21

I wondered when the “hating” as my daughter would say would re-commence. I’m busy watching us hold another team to 60 or less points on our way to our third straight win. Go Dukes! We believe!

1/31/2024 9:06 pm  #22

I have 2 degrees from Duquesne. My family lived on the bluff. I don't remember giving out rewards for fan loyalty. I love the Dukes but they are playing a team that was 293 in kenpom. This gets tiring.

1/31/2024 9:15 pm  #23

CityDuke wrote:

I wondered when the “hating” as my daughter would say would re-commence. I’m busy watching us hold another team to 60 or less points on our way to our third straight win. Go Dukes! We believe!

Relax its not hating. Stop looking for a fight. I know you love to bait. When your boy Dambrot gets us to the tourney I'd love for you to throw into my face believe me. Been waiting for 48 years now. I was courtside three days straight for the Eastern Eight tourney as a 12 year old skipping school and watching the Dukes beat Penn State, UMass, and Villanova at the Philadelphia spectrum to get to the NCAA tourney in 76. Sat next to Norm Nixon and Debbie Allen watching the West Va and UMass game after the Dukes beat PSU in the first round. Norm had the flu, but was gracious enough to autograph a 3X5 card and let me and my brothers down in the locker room when they beat Villanova in the final. Very cool time.

1/31/2024 9:15 pm  #24

Winning never gets tiring. With our history, I am going to enjoy every single one.

1/31/2024 9:17 pm  #25

CityDuke wrote:

I have been extremely impressed with Noah Buono on the color commentary so far. What a knowledgable and well-spoken young man!

DU needs to step in, offer him Cannon’s job.  Easy voice to listen to, and knows what he is talking about.

Board footera