Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2024 10:28 pm  #1

Game Thread - Davidson University Wildcats

7:00pm EST tip on Wednesday 2/7/2024 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Betting line: Dukes are 5½ point favorites; Over/Under 136½

Duquesne 8-12 Against the Spread:  Davidson 9-10 ATS

NET Ranking:  Dukes 98; Davidson 129

Per KenPom (362 D-1 Teams):

Dukes #104 (13-8; 3-5 A10) vs Davidson #133 (12-9; 2-6 A10)

Game prediction: Dukes win by 5, 70-65 - Dukes with 69% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=4159 
Per Haslametrics:

Dukes #117 vs Davidson #143

Game prediction:  Dukes win by 5, 70.37-65.04
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4355&tid2=4391&neut=0
Per BartTorvik:

Dukes #99 vs Davidson #133

Game prediction:  Dukes win by 6, 69-63 - Dukes with a 74% probability of a win.
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duquesne&year=2024
Duquesne Preview: https://goduquesne.com/news/2024/2/6/mens-basketball-dukes-host-wildcats-wednesday.aspx Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/documents/2024/2/6/22_Davidson.pdf Davidson Game Notes: https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2024/2/6/mens-basketball-davidson-heads-to-steel-city-for-wednesday-tilt
Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:

Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2024.htm
Davidson:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/davidson/men/2024.html 

Dukes KenPom Best Wins: Bradley (62); UC Irvine (71); St. Bonaventure (79); College of Charleston (134)   
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Santa Clara (122); Loyola Chicago (115); Saint Joseph's (98); UMass (94); Richmond (81); Princeton (65); Nebraska (46) 

Davidson KenPom Best Wins: Maryland (53); Charlotte (103); Wright St. (152); Ohio (164): Fordham (193) 

Davidson KenPom Worst Losses: East Tennessee St (218); Rhode Island (210); George Washington (177); Loyola Chicago (115)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)

Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 33.1%, 210 in D-1; Defense 33.3%, 152 in D-1

Davidson 3 Point:  Offense 31.9%, 258 in D-1; Defense 33.4%, 158 in D-1

Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 49.2%, 224 in D-1; Defense 47.4%, 70 in D-1

Davidson 2 Point:  Offense 51.0%, 149 in D-1; Defense 49.9%, 154 in D-1

Dukes FT:  Offense 69.3%, 265 in D-1; Defense 68.6%, 46 in D-1

Davidson FT:  Offense 71.0%, 208 in D-1; Defense 67.0%, 15 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)

Davidson Adj Offense Efficiency – 106.5; 176 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.7; 71 in D-1

Davidson Adj Defense Efficiency – 103.0; 102 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency – 107.6; 155 in D-1

Davidson Adj Tempo – 66.0; 272 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.3; 200 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)

Experience - Davidson 1.77 yrs; 195 in D-1; Dukes 2.57 yrs; 45 in D-1

Average Height - Davidson 78.8"; 10 in D-1; Dukes 76.4"; 300 in D-1

2/07/2024 1:07 am  #2

2/07/2024 8:12 am  #3

Re: Game Thread - Davidson University Wildcats

The key to this game for Duquesne is to keep Grant Huffman out of the lane!  This is easier said than done as the 6’4” guard is very skilled at using a variety of fakes and misdirection to work into the paint and score, or set up teammates for easy baskets.  Huffman plays with an edge and isn’t above getting into some give and take with opponents.  He is clearly the guy that makes Davidson a formidable opponent. 
It looks like Skognan the bruising 6’10” forward may miss another game tonight with foot problems.  He can be very tough around the basket .
As usual against the Wildcats defensively Duquesne needs to defend the backdoor cuts, and they will often use Schulte to trail Huffman down the court and look for kick outs from Huffman when he penetrates.  Davidson also has a tendency to immediately attempt to answer an opponents 3-point play with one of their own.  Finally, if Skogman can’t go, Bailey the 6’10” soph will be a scoring option inside.  He has good instincts and gets good position to score close to the rim, so keeping him under control down low is a priority. 
That’s my take on the Wildcats after watching their Sunday loss at Loyola and my recollection of previous matchups.
As usual, this will be a nail-biter for the Dukes, so expect a tough battle from Davidson who has had success against Duquesne since joining the A-10.

2/07/2024 8:46 am  #4

Make some 3s at home, score, a lot, and run them back to their campus.   
Gotta win this one, the next 2 will be real difficult.

2/07/2024 8:57 am  #5

Great stuff. Thanks for posting this.

levon1975 wrote:

The key to this game for Duquesne is to keep Grant Huffman out of the lane!  This is easier said than done as the 6’4” guard is very skilled at using a variety of fakes and misdirection to work into the paint and score, or set up teammates for easy baskets.  Huffman plays with an edge and isn’t above getting into some give and take with opponents.  He is clearly the guy that makes Davidson a formidable opponent. 
It looks like Skognan the bruising 6’10” forward may miss another game tonight with foot problems.  He can be very tough around the basket .
As usual against the Wildcats defensively Duquesne needs to defend the backdoor cuts, and they will often use Schulte to trail Huffman down the court and look for kick outs from Huffman when he penetrates.  Davidson also has a tendency to immediately attempt to answer an opponents 3-point play with one of their own.  Finally, if Skogman can’t go, Bailey the 6’10” soph will be a scoring option inside.  He has good instincts and gets good position to score close to the rim, so keeping him under control down low is a priority. 
That’s my take on the Wildcats after watching their Sunday loss at Loyola and my recollection of previous matchups.
As usual, this will be a nail-biter for the Dukes, so expect a tough battle from Davidson who has had success against Duquesne since joining the A-10.

2/07/2024 9:06 am  #6

This is another one the Dukes have to win to have any chance of finishing in the upper-half of the conference. Winning at home, when favored, & against a shorthanded opponent is a must after the 0-5 start.

Saturday's game in Olean is already sold out. They are honoring former coach Larry Weise & have a bunch of alumni events going on. I am sure thus will be one of the tougher games of the year.

That fan base hates KD & considers DU it's main A-10 rival. Stealing that one would be a big deal.

Last edited by phil95 (2/07/2024 9:08 am)

2/07/2024 9:22 am  #7

MUST WIN. KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE GAS.

Agree that shutting down Huffman will be huge.

2/07/2024 10:17 am  #8

I also agree on Huffman. Stopping him is the key.   Last year the Dukes got caught on switches continually with either Brewer or Rozier guarding Huffman.  He would either drive them all the way to the basket, get fouled or shoot over them.   KD needs to have a better game plan this year.

2/07/2024 10:35 am  #9

Definitely owe Davidson a loss here at the Coop. Hope to be there to see a fairly close (within 10 points) win.
Would like to see more of Dusan tonight. Still don't have a good read on him. Can't really tell if he is still in rehab stage or just a bit slow to match up with quicker bigs. 
GO DUKES!!

2/07/2024 11:09 am  #10

CLK wrote:

I also agree on Huffman. Stopping him is the key.   Last year the Dukes got caught on switches continually with either Brewer or Rozier guarding Huffman.  He would either drive them all the way to the basket, get fouled or shoot over them.   KD needs to have a better game plan this year.

I think this Dukes team is more ready on Defense, but the Dukes need to stay loose and aggressive on offense. Last game was the blueprint of what these Dukes can do on offense. I'm going tonight. It should be fun to watch. Go Dukes.

2/07/2024 1:09 pm  #11

El Presidente wrote:

Definitely owe Davidson a loss here at the Coop. Hope to be there to see a fairly close (within 10 points) win.
Would like to see more of Dusan tonight. Still don't have a good read on him. Can't really tell if he is still in rehab stage or just a bit slow to match up with quicker bigs. 
GO DUKES!!

Watched Dusan last year before his brutal injury at NC State. I am not a Doctor but I would opine rehab stage. I am sure Coach Dambrot will mix & match his bigs. I would like to see Savrasov back into the lineup. If you go back to the Dukes box scores beginning from Cleveland State to present he put up nice numbers, scoring, rebounds & steals. In fairness to Coach Dambrot box scores fail to note bad defense such as a failure to switch off a screen leading to an uncontested layup. If anyone on this board is pathetic as me to go on espn review box scores from the beginning to the present Savrasov out performed 1/2 the team. At this stage Coach Dambrot is no doubt balancing playing time based on the recent win streak. Go Dukes

2/07/2024 3:55 pm  #12

This came up in the other thread last week, but I am still in the camp of I'm cool with 0 to minimal minutes for Savrasov. And if the last game was the blueprint, no reason to insert him more now just because. I'm also a putz and looked a bunch of box scores across this year, in A10 play he completely vanished, and his play was along the lines of a bull in a China shop in that initial span. It's a different animal as you all know in the A10. But speaking of animals I do want more and more Dusan, the guy is a beast. Even if it's a slow crawl, he could a major factor by the A10 Tourney, IF we can get him back to 100% or close to it. And sorry for the retreads, but I am also a fan of the rotation and number of guys used our last game (10). In theory, I would even like to get that down to 9... but I'll take it. Now we have that "set", leave it that way, and build on it. I'll be there tonight; I was there last year when we "should have" won towards the end of the year. I want this game bad. I challenge the folks on the board to get there if you can. Hide your kids, hide your wife, and get to the Coop. Let's start making that place a tough place to play.

Last edited by StillatShales (2/07/2024 3:56 pm)

2/07/2024 4:08 pm  #13

StillatShales wrote:

This came up in the other thread last week, but I am still in the camp of I'm cool with 0 to minimal minutes for Savrasov. And if the last game was the blueprint, no reason to insert him more now just because. I'm also a putz and looked a bunch of box scores across this year, in A10 play he completely vanished, and his play was along the lines of a bull in a China shop in that initial span. It's a different animal as you all know in the A10. But speaking of animals I do want more and more Dusan, the guy is a beast. Even if it's a slow crawl, he could a major factor by the A10 Tourney, IF we can get him back to 100% or close to it. And sorry for the retreads, but I am also a fan of the rotation and number of guys used our last game (10). In theory, I would even like to get that down to 9... but I'll take it. Now we have that "set", leave it that way, and build on it. I'll be there tonight; I was there last year when we "should have" won towards the end of the year. I want this game bad. I challenge the folks on the board to get there if you can. Hide your kids, hide your wife, and get to the Coop. Let's start making that place a tough place to play.

Nice post. I would like to see Dusan make more conventional moves on the post up and pivot instead of acrobatic hook style shots.

Last edited by BluffHunter (2/07/2024 4:08 pm)

2/07/2024 7:52 pm  #14

Did Grant even get a shot off?

2/07/2024 7:59 pm  #15

35 pts in a half to the Hickory Hoosiers.   Yikes!

2/07/2024 8:14 pm  #16

Lost the picture — a blessing.

2/07/2024 8:43 pm  #17

Grant 1-8
Clark 1-5

Not going to win many like this. Need them to get going!

2/07/2024 8:48 pm  #18

What a weak contend on that last 3 by Clark. 

2/07/2024 9:01 pm  #19

Let me preface this by saying Clark is my favorite Dukes player since Norm Nixon. But man, him and Grant just did not show up today. Frustrating performance, but good to see Dimichele and Dixon continuing to progress. Got to beat the Bonnies!

2/07/2024 9:02 pm  #20

Sucks we sucked so bad, out coached, outplayed, outsmarted.  Ellis Cannon makes it worse tho.  I really dislike him.

2/07/2024 9:09 pm  #21

Moment of the game: we cut the deficit to 4, Clark steals the ball, gets fouled, and misses the front end of the one and one.

Honorable mention: 6 point game (I think), great defense in the low post by Savrasov, shot airballs directly to Drame, and he drops it right to the Davidson players for a layup.

As bad as we were, we still had chances to win the game. Did we deserve to? Absolutely not.

2/07/2024 9:27 pm  #22

Can’t blame Coach Dambrot on coaching, unfortunately the ghost of Bob Marley was present on the Cooper Center. A blind man can reach this conclusion. Don’t worry be happy everything is going to be alright. Play the kids who give a crap about showing up for the game in order to compete. Very sad culture on the bluff.

2/07/2024 10:11 pm  #23

This might seem like I'm picking on him. Savrasov missed 3 "crucial" FTs towards the end. Where in the past, he's not that bad, was tonight under the bright lights. But agree that Clark missing the front end on the 1 and 1 was the start of the end. Jimmy and Dae Dae combining for 9 points isn't going to win us many games either. Dusan played for his usual 2.5 mins and was done... did he get hurt again? I saw him on the bike a lot and guys patting him on the back. But yes bright spots from Jake and Drame tonight... but this is a bad loss. Favored, at home, and Davison wasn't shooting "that well" to beat us by 13. Sorry not sorry for jumping on this train again but we don't need to play 12 guys! (I know Grant was in foul trouble but still) Even though... I thought Necas played some nice minutes tonight. Regardless, the thing that kind of bugged me towards the end, yes Grant has four fouls, but you don't wait till 2:20 left, and now your down 10 to put him back in. He finally made a three "recently" and even though he was very off tonight... he's really the best chance of making big shots to come back. As soon as the clock went past 5:00 he should have been at the scorers table... I'll even give you at the 4:00 mark. That is on KD, there is waaaaaaay too much tinkering happening this late in the year. I have to watch the post game presser for more thoughts, but this was tough. Now you face two very hard games back to back where you hope to win one. They better shoot FTs until the cows come home before then. In the meantime, as always I stay optimistic, maybe they'll pull an upset one of these next too. I'll keep watching and keep screaming my head off trying to secure victory.

Side note... not that the refs were "awful" but in the second half I saw three shooting fouls, one I actually heard skin slapping from the seats, with no call. Can we just pay Jimmy the Greek to get some refs in here that give us some home calls! Sure seems every away game we play, the opposing team gets them.

Sorry my posts are long. I'm done, I'm just passionate about these guys and this team. Beat the Bonnies Saturday, and I'll forget this game, promise 😁.

2/07/2024 10:14 pm  #24

Demoralizing loss,Dukes were exposed fundamentally and lack talent.When the best player on your team
is a walkon freshman what can you say.I cant wait for the season to end to see who our new basketball
coach will be.Just so dissappointed with this team and effort was lacking tonight.
 Dr.Gormley seems interested in athletics,so maybe big changes are ahead.Should be interesting

2/07/2024 10:19 pm  #25

One team was prepared, had  a good understanding of how they needed to execute to win this game.  They know how to beat Duquesne.  Duquesne on the other hand looked mostly clueless, couldn’t do anything to  make Davidson uncomfortable on offense or defense.  Three back door cuts for layups in the first half alone tells me that Duquesne didn’t scout well or prepare for Davidson.  One thing everyone knows is that you can’t get caught ball-watching against Davidson, but Duquesne paid no attention.  There was a glaring lack of fundamental basketball compared to a team that knows it must stress fundamentals to win.  This of course is just Deja vu.  It repeats itself every time they lose to Davidson and Richmond.  Now have lost 11of 12 to Davidson! Pathetic

Last edited by levon1975 (2/07/2024 10:21 pm)

Board footera