Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2024 10:51 pm  #1

Game Thread - St. Bonaventure University Bonnies (A)

2:00pm EST tip on Saturday 2/10/2024 at the Reilly Center, Olean, NY

Betting line: Dukes are 6½ point underdogs; Over/Under 137½
Duquesne 8-13 Against the Spread: St. Bonaventure 12-10 ATS

NET Ranking:  Dukes 105; St. Bonaventure 68

Per KenPom (362 D-1 Teams):

Dukes #113 (13-9; 3-6 A10) vs St. Bonaventure #76 (14-8; 5-5 A10)

Game prediction: Dukes lose by 7, 72-65 - Dukes with 28% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=4376
Per Haslametrics:

Dukes #127 vs St. Bonaventure #61

Game prediction:  Dukes lose by 10, 73.26-63.70
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=381&neut=
Per BartTorvik:

Dukes #110 vs St. Bonaventure #78

Game prediction:  Dukes lose by 6, 71-65 - Dukes with a 26% probability of a win.
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duquesne&year=2024
Duquesne Preview: https://goduquesne.com/news/2024/2/9/mens-basketball-preview-duquesne-at-st-bonaventure.aspx Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/documents/2024/2/9/23_St._Bonaventure.pdf St. Bonaventure Game Notes: https://gobonnies.com/news/2024/2/9/mens-basketball-bonnies-dukes-to-meet-saturday-afternoon.aspx
Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:

Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2024.html St. Bonaventure: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/st-bonaventure/men/2024.html 

Dukes KenPom Best Wins: UC Irvine (63); Bradley (66); St.Bonaventure (76); College of Charleston (130); Rhode Island (181) 
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Santa Clara (122); Davidson (118); Loyola Chicago (109); Saint Joseph's (104); UMass (98); Richmond (83); Princeton (66)

St. Bonaventure KenPom Best Wins: VCU-2 (85); Akron (88); Saint Joseph’s (104); Oklahoma St. (121); Rhode Island (181) 

St. Bonaventure KenPom Worst Losses: Canisius (275); Fordham (205); Duquesne (113); George Mason (101); Richmond (83)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)

Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 32.8%, 225 in D-1; Defense 33.2%, 148 in D-1

St. Bonaventure 3 Point:  Offense 36.0%, 65 in D-1; Defense 31.6%, 65 in D-1

Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 49.2%, 226 in D-1; Defense 47.7%, 81 in D-1

St. Bonaventure 2 Point:  Offense 51.6%, 131 in D-1; Defense 51.8%, 245 in D-1

Dukes FT:  Offense 68.9%, 278 in D-1; Defense 69.6%, 76 in D-1

St. Bonaventure FT:  Offense 77.5%, 20 in D-1; Defense 68.8%, 42 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)

St. Bonaventure Adj Offense Efficiency - 111.9; 80 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 101.2; 78 in D-1

St. Bonaventure Adj Defense Efficiency - 101.4; 80 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 106.8; 164 in D-1

St. Bonaventure Adj Tempo - 65.8; 274 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.1; 215 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)

Experience - St. Bonaventure 3.59 yrs; 1 in D-1; Dukes 2.56 yrs; 45 in D-1

Average Height - St. Bonaventure 77.3"; 156 in D-1; Dukes 76.4"; 301 in D-1

2/10/2024 10:08 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure University Bonnies (A)

There is an old saying that opportunities don't happen, you create them.  This is an opportunity for this team and coaches to get back on the right track. Make it happen. Let's Go Dukes!

2/10/2024 11:55 am  #3

Back home in Olean today with 7 other Dukes fan in tow. The Bonnie faithful & 1 player I talked to are expecting an easy win.

Screw that! Dukes need to be spoilers.

2/10/2024 12:11 pm  #4

Expect to see more of the extended matchup zone that stumped the team against Davidson.  Taking away any open looks at the 3-ball and assuming that Duquesne’s bigs don’t score much seems to be the current strategy to shut down Duquesne. So, it is incumbent upon Duquesne to have a plan to counteract this defense. Getting the ball to a mobile forward who can take it to the hoop or kick out if they converge might be an option. I also like getting the ball to a guy who can score around the foul line and look for the baseline cutter from the corners.  Jamie Dixon used this effectively against the Syracuse matchup zone for years. 
At any rate, hoping the Dukes can find a path to success in a gym that hasn’t been kind in recent years.  A win could rebuild the confidence after the miserable showing at home on Wednesday.

2/10/2024 12:14 pm  #5

The return of Adams-Woods and the Bonnies play of late makes things appear quite bleak.  But hot streaks and/or winning streaks can happen at strange times despite  apparently unlikely circumstances.  In other words, I am on board for a win.

2/10/2024 1:44 pm  #6

Big ball game for the Dukes today! I’m expecting a big bounce back game from us, and star-like performances from Grant and Clark. It is always a dog fight against the Bonnies, especially up at their place. But a win today would make 3 in a row against these guys. Let’s go Dukes!

2/10/2024 2:56 pm  #7

Great half. Suffocating defense, great ball movement on offense. Keep it going Dukes!

2/10/2024 3:19 pm  #8

What a bogus call on Dimichele. Inside position and they call a foul on him for boxing out? And of course it leads to a 3 for the Bonnies. Need a bucket here out of the timeout to stretch this lead back to what it should be.

2/10/2024 3:40 pm  #9

Clark just picked up his 4th foul on a clean strip  with 8 minutes to go. Need Grant to step up while Clark is on the bench. Finish them off Dukes!

2/10/2024 4:21 pm  #10

WOW!  what a bounce back game

2/10/2024 4:22 pm  #11

CityDuke wrote:

Big ball game for the Dukes today! I’m expecting a big bounce back game from us, and star-like performances from Grant and Clark. It is always a dog fight against the Bonnies, especially up at their place. But a win today would make 3 in a row against these guys. Let’s go Dukes!

You called it. Big win!  Go Dukes!

2/10/2024 4:24 pm  #12

Fantastic win and fantastic performance. Clark was excellent. Drame was a beast. We shut down Venning who seems to destroy every team except us. We always have a plan that completely takes him out of the game. 3 in a row vs the Bonnies. Won 5 out of our last 6. Pitchforks away Dukes fans. It is okay, I repeat, it is okay to enjoy the process. Smile. That felt great. Stressful, but great.

Last edited by CityDuke (2/10/2024 4:25 pm)

2/10/2024 4:26 pm  #13

Oh my gosh!  So nice to be wrong. Maybe they should play all their games on Saturday afternoon!
Great job players n coaches!

2/10/2024 4:49 pm  #14

Well, well, well.   Nice when the top 2 players put up some stats.   Dixon made Venning look silly.  Dixon is getting better every game.   Great win!   Team effort.

2/10/2024 5:30 pm  #15

Do they bring out the best in us? Or do we bring out the worst in them? Either way I am happy to be wrong about this one. I have to think it’s a little if both, but more of the first. We’re at our best when focused on defense, and we definitely were both times out against the Bonnie’s. The offensive sets were as crisp as they’ve been all year today too.

I’m going to try not to get too excited about a closer than it should have been win against a middle of the road A-10 team. The Bonnies really wanted this one though, and sweeping them feels like more than that. When we’re on we’re damn good. We just need to be on for a few games in a row in Brooklyn. I’d love to knock off Dayton, but wouldn’t want to do so and peak too early.

2/10/2024 5:48 pm  #16

What a difference from a couple of days ago. Going to watch the replay as I had to listen this afternoon. Hope it's as exciting as it was on the radio.

2/10/2024 7:01 pm  #17

2/10/2024 7:42 pm  #18

Drame looking like Rodman on the boards today.

2/10/2024 9:59 pm  #19

WashPaRick wrote:

Drame looking like Rodman on the boards today.

Drame was the difference today. Just an amazing win. 

2/11/2024 1:17 am  #20

Wow. What a difference from last game. First off, I was at the bar with my parents, and the lady Dukes were on but I thought the men were just on ESPN+ today. Come home to see it was recorded on ESPN U (face palm). Just finished watching it, I was very impressed.

I know some folks didn't like that KD called out our two best players. I think if he didn't we wouldn't have won. Both Jimmy and Dae Dae were giving 1000% on both ends today, and it showed.

Jimmy had several passes that made me jump out of my chair. And he was feeeeeling it from 3. While Dae Dae wasn't, he had a huge baseline jumper at the end. Along with his basically automatic FTs (why did they foul him at the 1:00 mark?) And I felt both played much better D today (minus the really dumb foul from Jimmy to foul-out but... you take the good & bad with Jimmy).

F.Drame continues to impress with yet another double double. Bringing that St Pete's magic 😁 And I've said it before, Dixon gets better every single game. And Jake the high man on minutes, not a ton of points but his effort is palpable. And... you know I've been on the Dusan train. Finally over 10 mins today, that's all I'm asking for right now (at Dayton let's make it 15 mins).

And speaking of... I've also been harping on this. A 9 guy rotation today (muah chefs kiss) is what we should be aiming for especially before the A10 tournament. And I feel the use of those 9 guys were deployed much better today than against Davidson. Which... erg... If we had won the last game, we'd be 6th in the A10 right now going into Dayton.

I thought we kept Venning in check most of the time too. Now let's do that to Holmes on Tuesday huh. What a mud wrestling match they just had. I like it... Let's bring that same level of D today to Dayton, we can do this guys! Keep the faith.

2/11/2024 1:17 am  #21

What a win! I am so impressed with HOW the Dukes got this one. I will count this one among KD's best in-game performances.

What a difference between the Davison game & this one. It is hard to understand.

Today was so satisfying & enjoyable.

2/11/2024 8:03 am  #22

When was the last time the Dukes won both Bonas games?  Very unexpected and enjoyable win.   When I looked at our A-10 schedule this year I thought we’d be at best 6-4 right now and more realistically 5-5.  We should be doing better record wise than we are but we are not that far off course.  We need to finish strong with a lot of winnable games.  So much positive stuff to unpack from this game but for starters, how about KD uncharacteristically calling a TO in the 2nd half at precisely the right moment?  Bonnies has started to cut into our big lead but it was still in double digits and the fans had just started to get really loud and KD calls one!  He NEVER does that. It it worked like a charm.

2/11/2024 10:01 am  #23

I have to be honest; the Davidson game nearly broke my spirit towards this team. Not because they lost but how they lost.  A lot of credit has to be given to the coaching staff.  Unlike the Davidson game the Dukes played with more focus, discipline, energy, urgency and understanding of how they needed to play.  They really moved and shared the basketball resulting in better shots. The Dukes valued each possession and eliminated for the most part the careless sloppy turnovers. When the Dukes play like this they are very hard to beat.  

2/11/2024 11:18 am  #24

Always something extra fun about beating Bona.

2/11/2024 1:48 pm  #25

I think the team is more focused & structured on the road. Would not be surprised if the Dukes give the Flyers a game at Dayton. Leaving your dorm room & rolling down the Coop a couple hours before tip off  can bring some bad habits. Go Dukes

Board footera