Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2024 4:50 pm  #1

Game Thread - Saint Joseph's University Hawks (H)

2:30pm EST tip on Saturday 2/17/2024 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Betting line: Dukes are 4½ point favorites; Over/Under 145½
Duquesne 9-14 Against the Spread: Saint Joseph's 13-12 ATS

NET Ranking:  Dukes 104; Saint Joseph's 94

Per KenPom (362 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #109 (14-10; 4-7 A10) vs Saint Joseph's #108 (16-9; 6-6 A10)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 3, 74-71 - Dukes with 61% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=4588
Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #123 vs Saint Joseph's #94
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 1, 73.07-72.40
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=5229&tid2=4391&neut=0
Per BartTorvik:
Dukes #105 vs Saint Joseph's #97
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 3, 73-70 - Dukes with a 61% probability of a win.
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duquesne&year=2024
Duquesne Preview: https://goduquesne.com/news/2024/2/16/mens-basketball-preview-saint-josephs-vs-duquesne.aspx Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/documents/2024/2/16/25_Saint_Joseph_s.pdf Saint Joseph's Game Notes: https://sjuhawks.com/news/2024/2/16/mens-basketball-wraps-up-road-trip-saturday-at-duquesne-on-usa-network.aspx
Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2024.html Saint Joseph's: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/Saint-Josephs/men/2024.html
Dukes KenPom Best Wins: Bradley (71); UC Irvine (75); St.Bonaventure-2 (79); College of Charleston (128); Rhode Island (177) 
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Santa Clara (116); Davidson (115); Saint Joseph's (108); Loyola Chicago (106); UMass (94); Richmond (88); Princeton (68)

Saint Joseph's KenPom Best Wins: Villanova (34); Princeton (68); UMass (94); George Mason (97); Duquesne (109); Iona (174); Penn (203) 
Saint Joseph's KenPom Worst Losses: Texas A&M Commerce (323); Saint Louis (207); Rhode Island (177); Charleston (128); Loyola Chicago-2 (106)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 32.5%, 235 in D-1; Defense 33.1%, 143 in D-1
Saint Joseph's 3 Point:  Offense 36.7%, 43 in D-1; Defense 33.6%, 165 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 50.0%, 190 in D-1; Defense 47.8%, 73 in D-1
Saint Joseph's 2 Point:  Offense 52.9%, 86 in D-1; Defense 47.7%, 72 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 68.8%, 291 in D-1; Defense 70.0%, 97 in D-1
Saint Joseph's FT:  Offense 73.4%, 108 in D-1; Defense 69.5%, 73 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Saint Joseph's Adj Offense Efficiency - 110.5; 96 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 101.1; 80 in D-1
Saint Joseph's Adj Defense Efficiency - 104.1; 136 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 107.0; 158 in D-1
Saint Joseph's Adj Tempo - 69.0; 104 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 67.2; 212 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
Experience - Saint Joseph's 2.11 yrs; 118 in D-1; Dukes 2.57 yrs; 46 in D-1
Average Height - Saint Joseph's 77.1"; 181 in D-1; Dukes 76.4"; 300 in D-1

2/17/2024 9:02 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Saint Joseph's University Hawks (H)

Lets go Bluffites!!!!!!!!!!

2/17/2024 9:36 am  #3

My daughter & her family are going to the game today from central PA. Surprisingly her 5 tickets are at the second level of the Cooper Center. Guess big crowd today. Fan Duel Dukes -1.5. Like it Must win today. Go Dukes👍

2/17/2024 11:22 am  #4

Thanks Phoenix as always for this pregame analysis. This is a huge must win for the Dukes to get back on track and build up momentum for a strong finish.  Go Dukes!  

2/17/2024 11:35 am  #5

We need this one.

2/17/2024 12:11 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

Thanks Phoenix as always for this pregame analysis. This is a huge must win for the Dukes to get back on track and build up momentum for a strong finish.  Go Dukes!  

Thanks, CLK. Big, big game for the Dukes; one they must  get if they want to finish in the top half of the league.

Tristan Freeman’s analysis;
https://bustingbrackets.com/posts/duquesne-basketball-3-keys-to-dukes-home-matchup-with-st-joe-s-hawks-01hpq9x3d9eb

2/17/2024 3:30 pm  #7

If you needed proof of The Dome's theory regarding the Dukes' lack of fouls drawn & FTs taken, this first half is the perfect example. No volume of foul discrepancy to speak of & no calls that were egregiously wrong yet, Duquesne has shot 2 FTs because nobody goes hard to the hole.

Take away some truly dumb pass attempts & this was a great half of basketball.

Does anybody know why Dusan hasn't gotten any time? I know this is not the kind of team he should be defending but it seems like he could get some easy hoops down low in brief spurts.

Nice minutes from Necas & Savrasov. Jake continues to make winning plays.

2/17/2024 3:35 pm  #8

Dukes have to be ready for Hawks to shoot better from deep in the second half.

2/17/2024 3:54 pm  #9

Phil, you may have just heard on the broadcast same as me, but the announcers said Mahorcic just welcomed a baby girl into the world.

2/17/2024 4:08 pm  #10

That I did. Congrats to Dusan & his family!

2/17/2024 4:08 pm  #11

Necas showing signs of just how high his ceiling could be. Defends far beyond his years, and now the offense and confidence is starting to show. Really excited to watch him continue to develop.

2/17/2024 4:21 pm  #12

Let's finish.

2/17/2024 4:23 pm  #13

Dimichele is up to 9 rebounds right now. We got this kid for free! He has earned a scholarship and more this season. Incredible story.

2/17/2024 4:37 pm  #14

Very good performance. For those doubting player development, see David Dixon. Wow has he turned into a star. See Grant’s inside game. He was never this effective around the rim last year. See Clark’s playmaking. He is assisting and creating at a very high level right now.

2/17/2024 4:51 pm  #15

Very solid win!
I hope Chabi is ok. He has already had too many challenges in his young career.
Dixon, Necas, & Jake were all super.
Dixon did so many mature things today & so few immature things. He was an all-conference beast today.
Rozier is having a very hard time dealing with the A-10 competition.
Jimmy has to stop with the risky passes. He does so many things well. 

2/17/2024 5:30 pm  #16

phil95 wrote:

If you needed proof of The Dome's theory regarding the Dukes' lack of fouls drawn & FTs taken, this first half is the perfect example. No volume of foul discrepancy to speak of & no calls that were egregiously wrong yet, Duquesne has shot 2 FTs because nobody goes hard to the hole.

Take away some truly dumb pass attempts & this was a great half of basketball.

Does anybody know why Dusan hasn't gotten any time? I know this is not the kind of team he should be defending but it seems like he could get some easy hoops down low in brief spurts.

Nice minutes from Necas & Savrasov. Jake continues to make winning plays.

Agreed BUT did you also notice the amount of contact both ways the refs allowed?  Against Dayton, once Duquesne took a 4 point lead, the refs all of a sudden started calling every little thing against the Dukes. I agree that today it was called fairly and no team benefited from calls called either way. 

Great win.  I love how Dixon is developing and I love how on any given evening somebody can step up.  Drame, Dixon, Clark, Grant, DiMichelle…

I did not like all the sloppy passes today. Dukes could have really throttled them if they had just cleaned it up a bit. And I did not like the lack of scoring in the last 3 minutes.  I understand milking the clock but they passed up too many easy baskets and came up empty at the end of too many possessions. But all in all a great win.

2/17/2024 6:20 pm  #17

Exactly.  Well refereed game.

2/17/2024 6:47 pm  #18

Kudos to Duquesne. My three grandchildren go to the game loved the Coop. After the game the waitinline with their team posters. They were excited to get Jimmy Clark & Dae Daes autograph .Nice stuff Duquesne 👍Go Dukes

2/17/2024 7:17 pm  #19

2/17/2024 9:07 pm  #20

By the way, Dae Dae has now hit 31 free throws in a row.

2/17/2024 9:14 pm  #21

KD has some huge stones bragging about not having lost a game to a bad team all year. May I point out that he hasn't won a game against a very good or great team in 6.75 years.

Call me a hater all you like.

2/18/2024 6:55 am  #22

Was Drame hurt or under the weather? He played 10 minutes.

2/18/2024 8:19 am  #23

Great game, great crowd.  Two very good teams slugging it out.  The game was very entertaining, and the refs let them play.  Both teams will be tough outs come tournament time.  In my humble opinion, this was the best game I have recently. seen them play.  Good defense in particular!  Necas and Dimmicheal  will be great down the road.

2/18/2024 9:30 am  #24

I like that we mixed up the rotation and gave some other players minutes.  There’s a lot of talent and with in the team. Putting the right people in during the right situations will be key down the road.  I like the momentum and direction we are heading.

2/18/2024 9:40 am  #25

Prince of Pilsner wrote:

Great game, great crowd.  Two very good teams slugging it out.  The game was very entertaining, and the refs let them play.  Both teams will be tough outs come tournament time.  In my humble opinion, this was the best game I have recently. seen them play.  Good defense in particular!  Necas and Dimmicheal  will be great down the road.

Just maybe they can take this momentum and finish strong enough to get a first round bye. I like Dixon starting. I hope that continues. Nice win.

Board footera